PDA

View Full Version : (Split) Racial supremacy theories of the Academic Karelia Society?

Troll's Puzzle
12-09-2010, 08:00 PM
They don't. But you're right, they should. :D

I've a text which claims the Academic Karalia Society claimed the Finns were a superior race, because, unlike the swedes (too nordid) and russians (to 'cro-magnid'), finns were a blend of both, thus being superior.
Is that true? :D

If true finns did ride around on harleys shouting that slogan, it would
(i) gain them more votes, as finland is the most rockin' country around
(ii) make me even more envious of not being a superior, nordo-cromagnid finn, but a lowly nordo-cromagnid englander and so on a somewhat lower level :(

Eldritch
12-09-2010, 08:26 PM
I've a text which claims the Academic Karalia Society claimed the Finns were a superior race, because, unlike the swedes (too nordid) and russians (to 'cro-magnid'), finns were a blend of both, thus being superior.

No expert on that issue here, but honestly I'd be quite surprised if that were so. Of course one can hope ... :wink

The Ripper
12-09-2010, 08:30 PM

I'd be very interested in seeing that text. Unless its not a text, but a post, and not about the AKS, but about Karl. :p

Seriously speaking, I've yet to come across any racial theories or even the use of racial categories, beyond the merely rhetorical, from the AKS.

Troll's Puzzle
12-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I'd be very interested in seeing that text. Unless its not a text, but a post, and not about the AKS, but about Karl. :p

Seriously speaking, I've yet to come across any racial theories or even the use of racial categories, beyond the merely rhetorical, from the AKS.

it's from a book on Fascism, 'The Nature of Fascism', by Roger Griffin, an English scholar of Fascism.
a passage reads (about the AKS):

One of its animating myths was that as each civilization became 'soft', the centre of human progress had moved continually outwards from the hospitable soil and climate of Babylonia and Egypt towards ones where the struggle to survive became increasingly arduous. Having been passed from the Mediterranean to Northern Europe, the torch of human progress now fell to the Russians, the Scandinavians or the Finns. As a unique mixture of Nordic, East Baltic and Cro-Magnon man the Finns were the most dynamic, the other two being too racially pure (!) to win hegemony. The historical mission of the Finns was thus to fight Bolshevism, eradicate Swedish contamination of their culture and recreate a Greater Finland (Suur-Suomi) stretching to the Urals.

There is no primary source given for this information, but the bibliography for the chapter amongst numerous texts shows the following as possible sources:
(Karvonen, Lauri, 1988. From white to blue-and-black. Finnish fascism in the inter-war period, Commentationes Scientarum Socialum,, No. 36)
(Rintala, M., 1965. Finland, in H. Rogger and E. Weber (eds), The European Right, University of California Press, Berkeley and Los Angeles.

The Ripper
12-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks, looks like I've got some research to do!

In any case, at the moment I'm still inclined to believe that such ideas were marginal at best, and seemingly an answer to European racial theories of the time, which had always given the Finns a rather unflattering treatment. Also, the article mentions that Greater Finland would stretch to the Urals, which the AKS as an organization never advocated as far as I know. Seems to me that this "to the Urals" was far more popular among their opponents as a way of ridiculing their Greater Finnish ideology, which was squarely founded on Baltic Finnish kinship.

EDIT:

done, E

Hweinlant
12-10-2010, 10:17 PM
AKS didnt believe in any racial supremacy theories. They however had theory of racial dynamics. According this theory there was "dynamics", creative energy, created by two or more Europoid racial types collading with each other. Finnish example was Scandinavian Nordic type and "Prussian" East Baltic type merging together. This gave Finns the edge to be great in the future.

Obviously they were right.

The Ripper
12-10-2010, 11:00 PM
AKS didnt believe in any racial supremacy theories. They however had theory of racial dynamics. According this theory there was "dynamics", creative energy, created by two or more Europoid racial types collading with each other. Finnish example was Scandinavian Nordic type and "Prussian" East Baltic type merging together. This gave Finns the edge to be great in the future.

Obviously they were right.

I've always come to associate the "Prussianess" of Finland with the [officers of the] Finnish Army, the Jäger Movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jäger_Movement) and the 'patriotic warrior' -ideology so prevalent among the veterans of the Finnish War of Liberation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Civil_War), the heimosodat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimosodat) and the Jäger tradition.

Can you give some tips on literature that discuss this racial dynamism? The only academic portrayal I've read about the AKS is Me tahdoimme suureksi Suomenmaan by Heikki Eskelinen, and I can't remember reading about it.

Hweinlant
12-11-2010, 10:06 PM
I've always come to associate the "Prussianess" of Finland with the [officers of the] Finnish Army, the Jäger Movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jäger_Movement) and the 'patriotic warrior' -ideology so prevalent among the veterans of the Finnish War of Liberation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Civil_War), the heimosodat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimosodat) and the Jäger tradition.

There certainly was plenty of Prussian Warrior-ideology in early years of Republic. I hope we should have plenty more of that.

Can you give some tips on literature that discuss this racial dynamism? The only academic portrayal I've read about the AKS is Me tahdoimme suureksi Suomenmaan by Heikki Eskelinen, and I can't remember reading about it.

AKS Vuosikirja: AKS:n Tie , 1937. If you are lucky there might be one at the library.. prolly not :ohwell:

I actually do have an copy and once I've sorted out the problems of digitalising it (dont want to harm it), will put it on the internet.