PDA

View Full Version : Modern Icelandic & Old Norse almost identical when spoken..

Doctor Who
12-10-2010, 11:09 PM
From the "Be proud of your heritage" department:

Not much research has been done on the pronouciation of old Norse and how it differs from modern Icelandic. People generally think modern Icelandic pronouciation is somewhat different from what old heroes like Ingólfur Arnarsson and his peers spoke. But to what extent do they differ? A news reporter went on quest with a help of researchers to find out how ancient nordic people spoke and compared it with modern Icelandic. The conclusion: Modern Icelandic and old Norse are strikingly similar when spoken, with a tiny difference in pronouciation.. they are almost identical:

http://visir.is/section/MEDIA99&fileid=VTV0406EFA3-B5E3-4A2B-8909-1AB2A0E5FBBD

Sorry but the video is in Icelandic

Loddfafner
12-11-2010, 12:11 AM
A roommate who studied old Norse was surprised to find how useful this supposedly dead language was when he visited Iceland.

Doctor Who
12-11-2010, 12:28 AM
A roommate who studied old Norse was surprised to find how useful this supposedly dead language was when he visited Iceland.

The biggest difference lies in the phonology.

The Ripper
12-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Also Finnish and Estonian have preserved the old form of some Norse loans, that have experienced a shift in the Scandinavian languages. For example:

Laugardagr in Old Norse, Laugardagur in Icelandic, Lördag in Swedish, Lauantai in Finnish, Laupäev in Estonian.

esaima
12-11-2010, 01:20 PM
I have noticed that Icelanders and Finns have very similar accent when they speak English.

Don Brick
12-11-2010, 01:22 PM
I have noticed that Icelanders and Finns have very similar accent when they speak English.

Interesting. I“ve never thought of it before but that“s actually quite true.

The Ripper
12-11-2010, 01:23 PM

Just listening to Icelandic is interesting, there is something familiar about it. :)

Doctor Who
12-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Just listening to Icelandic is interesting, there is something familiar about it.

Yes and it is quite common for Icelanders to be asked if they come from Finnland when they travel Europe. :)

Äike
12-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Finnic people are the original inhabitants of Scandinavia/Northern-Europe. Maybe Old Norse still had some Finnic influences, from assimilating the native population?

This is just a speculation, but this topic is rather intriguing.

Moonbird
12-11-2010, 02:57 PM
I've heard from friends visiting Iceland that the language is some ways resemble the old Swedish dialects spoken in Finland.

Thor
03-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Snorri Sturluson in his literature sometimes refers to the old Norse language as " Dönsk tunga" or the Danish tongue.

Thor
03-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Some scholar by the name of Ebenezer Henderson noted that Icelandic has many similarities with the language of the Goths, compare for instance
from the pater noster
Gothic: "Wairžai wilja žeins swe in himina jah ana aķržai" note that ai is pronounced like e and ei like ee
Icelandic: Verši vilji žinn svo į himni og į jöršu

Thor
03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Anyway im damn proud of my language no matter what some Multicultural libtard says.

Motörhead Remember Me
04-02-2011, 07:02 PM

Yes.

Why?

Who can we get on the case? We need Jaska Mason. Again

Motörhead Remember Me
04-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Snorri Sturluson in his literature sometimes refers to the old Norse language as " Dönsk tunga" or the Danish tongue.

This probably has more to do with the fact that Southern Norway was part of the Danish realm. Norwegians ruled the area north of this. To mention that the Danish tongue was used may have been to point that he speaker infact was a Dane, not a Norwegian.

Pallantides
04-04-2011, 09:55 PM
The viken area was ruled by Danes
http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viken

Belenus
04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
I once read about a movement to preserve the lingual purity of Icelandic by removing foreign loan words and developing Icelandic substitutes for them. Anyone know the name of said movement or have more information about this subject? I feel it would be wise for many small, endangered languages to rigidly guard their purity. One day, when I learn to speak Irish Gaelic, I hope I won't find a ton of foreign loan words. Anyway, I'd like to see how the Icelandic 'purists' guard their language.

Baron Samedi
04-05-2011, 02:40 AM
This is the exact reason why I'm trying to learn modern Icelandic.

Äike
04-05-2011, 03:08 PM
I once read about a movement to preserve the lingual purity of Icelandic by removing foreign loan words and developing Icelandic substitutes for them. Anyone know the name of said movement or have more information about this subject? I feel it would be wise for many small, endangered languages to rigidly guard their purity. One day, when I learn to speak Irish Gaelic, I hope I won't find a ton of foreign loan words. Anyway, I'd like to see how the Icelandic 'purists' guard their language.

This is a common thing among small languages. Both Estonians and Finns are trying to preserve their languages by not using/replacing foreign loan words.

For instance, recently a new Estonian word was "created" to replace the word infrastruktuur(infrastructure), the new word is taristu.