PDA

View Full Version : Can this Palestinian singer pass for Indian?

Kamal900
08-25-2017, 08:11 AM
Well, can she? Is her Hindi is fluent as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h52w0g2QbJ4

Purohit ji
08-25-2017, 08:20 AM
Punjab haryana

Fractal
08-25-2017, 08:21 AM
Yes Punjab @ McGree. By the way I've seen her before on TV or youtube.

Kamal900
08-25-2017, 08:25 AM
Yes Punjab @ McGree. By the way I've seen her before on TV or youtube.

So, she can pass for a Punjabi? What about other ethnicity?

Vyasa
08-25-2017, 08:27 AM
From the front, she looks similar to some Punjabi Jatt girls. Her profile is more West Asian though

Fractal
08-25-2017, 08:37 AM
So, she can pass for a Punjabi? What about other ethnicity?

Kashmir. But as Vyasa says, she looks very West Asian.

Wadaad
08-25-2017, 08:42 AM
She looks like a female Borat to me (Sacha cohen)

Gangrel
08-25-2017, 08:36 PM
Not here, people would realise she's MENA

StonyArabia
08-27-2017, 06:43 AM
Northern Iraq, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon and Iran, possibly Afghanistan and Kashmiri

Odin
08-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Yup.

Kamal900
03-10-2018, 12:17 PM
Northern Iraq, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon and Iran, possibly Afghanistan and Kashmiri

She wouldn't pass for an Arabian in general?

Hadouken
03-10-2018, 12:20 PM

she would be atypical in turkey . looks more egyptian , jordanian , iraqi

Kamal900
03-10-2018, 12:24 PM

Can she pass for Kurdish?

Kamal900
03-10-2018, 12:25 PM

Hadouken
03-10-2018, 12:29 PM

when I made the comment about turkey I included us Kurds in it . she would be atypical

aherne
03-10-2018, 03:07 PM
She can pass as high caste NW Indian.

pashtunstar
03-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Well, can she? Is her Hindi is fluent as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h52w0g2QbJ4

she looks kurdish sort of.

Kamal900
03-10-2018, 03:08 PM
she looks kurdish sort of.

Would she pass in Afghanistan?

pashtunstar
03-10-2018, 03:10 PM

Yh she would def be in the spectrum

Thambi
03-10-2018, 03:12 PM

I honestly thought she was afghan. She looks like many afghan girls imo. Can't pass in india, even in punjab and kashmir. Skin tone wise she could but her features are quite western shifted.

Also she's a good singer. She has an accent so can't say she's fluent but still good voice regardless

Kamal900
03-10-2018, 03:13 PM
I honestly thought she was afghan. She looks like many afghan girls imo. Can't pass in india, even in punjab and kashmir. Skin tone wise she could but her features are quite western shifted.

Also she's a good singer. She has an accent so can't say she's fluent but still good voice regardless

Do you find it weird that Arabs find fascination with Indian culture these days?

pashtunstar
03-10-2018, 03:13 PM

Yh i was gonna say she couldnt pass for india, dont know why people suggested that. I dont know about kashmir, there are very few kashmirs (in the very north of kashmir) that have facial features such as hers, but they would be atypical.

Thambi
03-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Do you find it weird that Arabs find fascination with Indian culture these days?

I didn't know indian culture was that big in the arab world. Is it? It's pretty cool if it is cause i do like people from other cultures appreciating my country.

Kamal900
03-10-2018, 03:18 PM
I didn't know indian culture was that big in the arab world. Is it? It's pretty cool if it is cause i do like people from other cultures appreciating my country.

Well, yeah. I mean, I do know Arabs who watch bollywood films or Indian soap operas(Arabic dubbed of course), and some even dress and dance to Indian music and so on.

Thambi
03-10-2018, 03:20 PM
Yh i was gonna say she couldnt pass for india, dont know why people suggested that. I dont know about kashmir, there are very few kashmirs (in the very north of kashmir) that have facial features such as hers, but they would be atypical.

Yeah there might be few cause kashmir had migrations from many neighboring areas like from kpk, nuristani regions but honestly most native kashmiris just look like light skinned indians to me. Or light skinned punjabis to be specific. They aren't that western shifted imo, atleast not more than punjabis.

pashtunstar
03-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Yeah there might be few cause kashmir had migrations from many neighboring areas like from kpk, nuristani areas but honestly most native kashmiris just look like light skinned indians to me. Or light skinned punjabis to be specific. They aren't that western shifted imo, atleast not more than punjabis.

Yh they look much closer to light skinned indians, but as i said there are atypicals. In fact i remember watching KP and indian movie with my parents, and the guy went to kashmir a kashmir family who looked EXTREMELY afghan, like it was very funny my whole family thought they based the movie in afghanistan when it was actually a kashmiri family. There is a possibility however they were pashtun kashmiris but im not 100 percnet sure.

lameduck
03-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Yeah there might be few cause kashmir had migrations from many neighboring areas like from kpk, nuristani regions but honestly most native kashmiris just look like light skinned indians to me. Or light skinned punjabis to be specific. They aren't that western shifted imo, atleast not more than punjabis.

kashmiris have a look that fall somewhere between mainstream Punjabis and Pashtuns though some kashmiris are mixed with people from Gilgit Baltistan.

Thambi
03-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Well, yeah. I mean, I do know Arabs who watch bollywood films or Indian soap operas(Arabic dubbed of course), and some even dress and dance to Indian music and so on.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I didn't know that. I know gulf regions might have some obsession since there are a lot of indians there but I find it surprising that its big in rest of arab world, especially palestine.

Thambi
03-10-2018, 03:37 PM
kashmiris have a look that fall somewhere between mainstream Punjabis and Pashtuns though some kashmiris are mixed with people from Gilgit Baltistan.

yeah true they don't look straight up punjabi but they still appear closer to punjabis than to pashtuns. They have their own look but they look south asian for the most part going by their features.

Some of these people definitely look pashtun or northern pakistani influenced but they still overall look closer to punjabis
https://i.dawn.com/large/2017/12/5a392e3fef86f.jpg
https://cpb-ap-southeast-2-juc1ugur1qwqqqo4.stackpathdns.com/edublogs.loretonh.nsw.edu.au/dist/2/957/files/2015/11/Kashmiri-118o72c.jpg

lameduck
03-10-2018, 03:41 PM
yeah true they don't look straight up punjabi but they still appear closer to punjabis than to pashtuns. They have their own look but they look south asian for the most part going by their features.

Some of these people definitely look pashtun or northern pakistani influenced but they still overall look closer to punjabis
https://i.dawn.com/large/2017/12/5a392e3fef86f.jpg
https://cpb-ap-southeast-2-juc1ugur1qwqqqo4.stackpathdns.com/edublogs.loretonh.nsw.edu.au/dist/2/957/files/2015/11/Kashmiri-118o72c.jpg

yeah main reason people have darker image of Punjabis is because there are lot of jaluoids in Punjab , if you remove them people will see clear similarities between Punjabis and groups north of them.

pashtunstar
03-10-2018, 03:45 PM
yeah main reason people have darker image of Punjabis is because there are lot of jaluoids in Punjab , if you remove them people will see clear similarities between Punjabis and groups north of them.

I think theres quite a big difference between iranic groups of pakistan and the ethnic punjabs, however there are certain similarities but very distinctive differences, even the atypical kashmirs look somewhat different from pashtuns (at least afghan pashtuns)

lameduck
03-10-2018, 03:49 PM
I think theres quite a big difference between iranic groups of pakistan and the ethnic punjabs, however there are certain similarities but very distinctive differences, even the atypical kashmirs look somewhat different from pashtuns (at least afghan pashtuns)

Obviously if you take 100 Punjabis and hundred north/West Pakistanis differences will be very obvious , what I want to say if you remove some 20%-25% population of Punjab cline will be clearer many folds obviously differences will still remain. Not to mention Punjabis are lot more diverse than populations west of Indus.

Thambi
03-10-2018, 03:49 PM

yes I agree. Pashtuns from KPK and afghanistan are very different from punjabis. Genetically pashtuns plot as close to punjabis as they do to tajiks but they appear A LOT closer to the latter..

pashtunstar
03-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Obviously if you take 100 Punjabis and hundred north/West Pakistanis differences will be very obvious , what I want to say if you remove some 20%-25% population of Punjab cline will be clearer many folds obviously differences will still remain. Not to mention Punjabis are lot more diverse than populations west of Indus.

I am not sure about 20 -25 percent. I have seen a lot of punjabis and have never mistaken them for afghans. I have seen one punjabs and been iffy if they were afghan or pakistani, but they were probably mixed punjabs (ancestrally speaking). Maybe if i went pakistan i would see some that have closer affinity to pashtuns, but definetely not 20 - 25 percent, even 10 percent is pushing it.

pashtunstar
03-10-2018, 03:55 PM
yes I agree. Pashtuns from KPK and afghanistan are very different from punjabis. Genetically pashtuns plot as close to punjabis as they do to tajiks but they appear A LOT closer to the latter..

Actually afghan pashtuns tend to plot closer to afghan tajiks much more than they do to punjabs, (almost identical) the afghan tajiks tend to have 19 percent Indian in them, whilst the afghan pashtuns tend to have 20 percent (NOT ancestral south indian). The pakistani pashtuns tend to be equidistant between punjabs and afghan tajiks, but still much closer to tajiks (which is crazy when geography is the same). However phenotypically speaking MOST pathans look like afghan pashtuns atleast the ones in fata or KPK

lameduck
03-10-2018, 03:56 PM
I am not sure about 20 -25 percent. I have seen a lot of punjabis and have never mistaken them for afghans. I have seen one punjabs and been iffy if they were afghan or pakistani, but they were probably mixed punjabs (ancestrally speaking). Maybe if i went pakistan i would see some that have closer affinity to pashtuns, but definetely not 20 - 25 percent, even 10 percent is pushing it.

I think you are not getting my point. General consensus among people is that there is a big difference between Punjabis and populations North Of them even kashmiris .I think the reason is that Punjab has lot of low castes that creates a holistically dark image of Punjabis , if you remove these low castes than their is a clear cline between Punjabis and Kashmiris atleast.

lameduck
03-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Actually afghan pashtuns tend to plot closer to afghan tajiks much more than they do to punjabs, (almost identical) the afghan tajiks tend to have 19 percent Indian in them, whilst the afghan pashtuns tend to have 20 percent (NOT ancestral south indian). The pakistani pashtuns tend to be equidistant between punjabs and afghan tajiks, but still much closer to tajiks (which is crazy when geography is the same). However phenotypically speaking MOST pathans look like afghan pashtuns atleast the ones in fata or KPK

this is how Pakistani Pashtuns look , I posted lots of pics in this thread

http://w11.zetaboards.com/anthroworld/topic/30505582/1/

pashtunstar
03-10-2018, 04:03 PM
I think you are not getting my point. General consensus among people is that there is a big difference between Punjabis and populations North Of them even kashmiris .I think the reason is that Punjab has lot of low castes that creates a holistically dark image of Punjabis , if you remove these low castes than their is a clear cline between Punjabis and Kashmiris atleast.

Yeah there definetely is a cline between higher castes and pashtuns in pakistan.

pashtunstar
03-10-2018, 04:11 PM
this is how Pakistani Pashtuns look , I posted lots of pics in this thread

http://w11.zetaboards.com/anthroworld/topic/30505582/1/

Yeah its a good representation of how pashtuns in general look like.

Kamal900
03-10-2018, 04:24 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool. I didn't know that. I know gulf regions might have some obsession since there are a lot of indians there but I find it surprising that its big in rest of arab world, especially palestine.

The guy's from Oman, and people say he sings like a native speaker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkU93jtuWSo

Thambi
03-10-2018, 04:43 PM
The guy's from Oman, and people say he sings like a native speaker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkU93jtuWSo

Wow he truly sounds like a native and what an amazing singer. Majestic voice he has. He's quite handsome too, no homo haha.

I think he could pass as a south asian, especially as a punjabi or even as a pathan from kpk.

averagedude
07-21-2018, 02:17 PM
yes

Hodar
07-22-2018, 12:21 PM
She can pass as atypical in Mumbai, Delhi and most places in between. These places have a diverse range of looks themselves. And people don't analyze as critically as they do on anthroforums.

Her Hindi is good but if she spoke Hindi to locals they would realize she is a foreigner because of her accent.