PDA

View Full Version : Canadian foreign policy has become an embarrassment

Grumpy Cat
12-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Last month, archeologists unearthed a street lined with sphinxes in the Egyptian city of Luxor.

We have to wonder if they found any remnants of Canada’s once-strong record on foreign policy down there.

Maybe that’s a little harsh. Nonetheless, Canada’s prominence on the international stage started back in 1956 when Lester Pearson launched the world’s first peacekeeping mission during the Suez Crisis.

Today, Canada’s failure to gain a seat on the UN Security Council is just the latest in a series of gaffes that make Suez seem like ancient history. The government and the opposition need to look beyond finger-pointing for ideas on how to restore our reputation.

The last 12 months of foreign policy haven’t exactly reflected our past. When it comes to dealing with other nations, there is a well-known list of blunders.

Because greenhouse gases know no borders, the environment is one issue requiring international dialogue. But Canada has been unwilling to co-operate and makes weak commitments while subsidizing the oil industry back home.

Then last month, federal Environment Minister John Baird said we would abandon a plan to harmonize climate change efforts with the United States after the White House announced tougher standards for cutting emissions at large industrial facilities.

Meanwhile, in an ongoing saga, we stubbornly refused to negotiate with the U.S. on repatriating Omar Khadr from Guantanamo Bay. We could have taken a strong position in helping to shut down the controversial prison and in defence of child soldiers. Instead, our inaction led to a plea bargain that will likely see him transferred to Canada anyway.

Meanwhile, our defence minister was barred from United Arab Emirates airspace, a country that was viewed as a Mideast ally, after the government couldn’t negotiate landing rights for a commercial airline in Canada.

These well-publicized embarrassments don’t paint the picture of a nation that shows respect (and subsequently gets it) internationally. Neither did our chance at redemption in June as host to the G8 and G20 summits.

Here, the government vowed to put maternal health at the top of the agenda. But just two months earlier, the government cut funding to 14 women’s groups in the span of two weeks.

These cuts included one organization working to socially and economically empower women in the developing world — two things proven to cut maternal mortality.

This contradiction gave G8 leaders little confidence in Canada when they invaded Huntsville. Prime Minister Stephen Harper only managed to marshal $5 billion from other countries to tackle maternal mortality, with Canada putting up $1 billion.

As the leaders debated, Canadians expressed their anger towards the expense. French President Nicolas Sarkozy weighed into the debate, making a public statement in Toronto that the summit he hosts next year "will cost ten times less."

The Liberals were quick to jump on the Tories for the security tab and the 1,100 arrests that occurred that weekend. They have reason to criticize. But the official opposition hasn’t exactly inspired confidence itself.

Take Bill C-300. The responsible mining bill sponsored by Liberal MP John MacKay was designed to help clean up Canada’s mining industry, which has been implicated in several human rights violations overseas. But Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff and a number of other prominent party members failed to attend their fellow MPs’ vote. It was defeated by just six votes.

Days later, the Liberal industry critic voted with Conservative MPs to water down Bill C-393. It was meant to strengthen legislation that sends cheap versions of generic drugs for HIV/AIDS treatment to developing nations.

In the end, there’s much blame to be shared for Canada’s wavering reputation. But therein lies the problem.

After six years of minority government, the country that’s home to the father of peacekeeping hasn’t seen much of it in Parliament. Instead, infighting has produced some hardly inspiring results. That endangers our country’s rich tradition.

The government and the opposition need to put Canada’s international reputation back on the agenda rather than burying it under bad decisions for some archeologist to dig up.

The country that’s home to the father of peace-keeping hasn’t seen much of it in Parliament.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/TheNovaScotian/1216715.html

Aemma
12-12-2010, 11:59 PM
The government and the opposition need to put Canada’s international reputation back on the agenda rather than burying it under bad decisions for some archeologist to dig up.

Well I think our country needs to clean up its home reputation first before being able to focus on its international reputation. People have zero confidence in any party or party leader these days. It just doesn't seem to bode well any way you look at it. :(

anonymaus
12-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Unlike the authors of that article, there are thoughtful writers--whose perception goes beyond their personal politics--who have already made a strong and evidenced (http://www.calgarysun.com/comment/columnists/ezra_levant/2010/11/26/16333241.html#/comment/columnists/ezra_levant/2010/11/26/pf-16333241.html) case for why Portugal took that seat on UNSC.

Canada won't bend over and take it in the ass on greenhouse gasses while the world's biggest polluters get a free ride.

Canada DID negotiate to get Khadr back in Canada, after he was handed a just sentence based on his insidious and violent behaviour--something the authors of that article wouldn't understand, since they are dedicated apologists (http://www.thestar.com/news/globalvoices/article/876856--kielburger-omar-khadr-jean-chretien-and-me) for the tattered clan of would-be terrorists, the Khadrs.

It would come only from the mind of a Canadian leftist to imply that Women's groups require federal funding to exist--indeed, that taxpayers must fund them--and not realize the ironic soft-misogyny of the comment. Thereafter, Canada footed (by their Author's numbers) 1/5th of the bill in tackling worldwide maternal mortality issues--it's a cheap game to describe this as a failure of leadership.

Bill C-300 was an exercise in political ankle grabbing by the Liberals, egged on by foreigners complaining that our mining industry isn't nice enough to them; well, here's a tip: complain to your shitbird strongarm governments who invite us in, hardball us in negotiations, and thereby define the parameters within which the mining industry functions.

Bill C-393 was turfed by an unnamed--except by portfolio--Liberal who "voted with Conservative MPs"? Try again: it was deliberately neutered by Liberal superstar Marc Garneau, causing the bill to gasp its last tortured breath before being taken back to the drawing board. For those who don't know, it has been in its death throes ever since it was born six years previous.

I do not expect that every citizen who is, in effect, fighting for their lives in this world has time to spare for deep civic involvement; rather, it is the media on whom we are supposed to rely for such depth and analysis in our civics, that we may better decide our future collectively. The authors of the above article deserve the worst kind of scorn for putting such nonsense to paper, as do the editors who published it. It's shameful just how bad some of our published issue analysis has become.

Grumpy Cat
12-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Eh. I do think Harper's foreign policy is an embarassment. That's why I posted the article.

He's killing Canada's reputation bit by bit.

anonymaus
12-13-2010, 12:28 AM
I do think Harper's foreign policy is an embarassment.

This is a valid opinion to hold, as it is for the authors of the article, but it is derangement and laziness on their part which convolved to birth that abomination of an editorial.

Grumpy Cat
12-13-2010, 12:31 AM
This is a valid opinion to hold, as it is for the authors of the article, but it is derangement and laziness on their part which convolved to birth that abomination of an editorial.

:lol: OK. I didn't real it all, honestly, and never heard of those guys.

I'm no Khadr apologist, I think those guys should be charged with treason.

Aemma
12-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Do you not remember that Canadian kid, Craig Kielburger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Kielburger), who brought to the fore child labour issues in Pakistan during the mid-1990s and became somewhat of a national sensation? :shrug:

anonymaus
12-13-2010, 01:51 AM
Do you not remember that Canadian kid, Craig Kielburger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Kielburger), who brought to the fore child labour issues in Pakistan during the mid-1990s and became somewhat of a national sensation? :shrug:

I sure do. Good vibrations don't mask bad ideas. :)

Grumpy Cat
12-13-2010, 02:17 AM

I don't remember much of the mid 90s. :p

I should elaborate on Khadr, though. The parents should have been charged with not just treason, but for endangering a child. They endangered all their children by indoctrinating them with Islamist ideals and sending them to war. CPS should have surely stepped in, I mean, they did with a white supramacist mother and she wasn't even sending her kids to fight.

Omar, whether you like it or not, is a Canadian citizen and must be dealt with as such. He was born here and being a Canadian entails you some rights. But still, if CPS had stepped in sooner, this crisis would have been averted. He was a child, and Canada failed him by not taking him out of a household run by unfit parents.