PDA

View Full Version : 12 Surprising Things In Which Finland Is The Best In The World

MissMischief
09-06-2017, 10:13 PM
https://www.buzzfeed.com/frankmartela/12-surprising-things-in-which-finland-is-the-best-fvkn?utm_term=.enWYG000a#.ncKvQkkkq

Finland is a tiny country in the northernmost corner of Europe - in fact, along with Iceland it is the only country located almost completely north of the 60th latitude. It's five and half million inhabitants could easily fit into one of the suburbs of New York or Shanghai.

Being such a tiny country with a fragile history where the three major threats were once summarized by the foreign minister as being "Russia, Russia, and Russia", its inhabitants often exhibit low self-esteem and nervousness about "what others think about us". To remind Finns that they have nothing to be shy of, here is a list of few things in which Finland is the best in the world:

1. The Least Corrupt Government in the World
The Corruption Perception Index is considered the "gold standard for determining corruption worldwide". In it's 2012 results, Finland, Denmark and New Zealand shared the top spot. In reflecting on the reasons for this apparent lack of corruption, Business Insider notes that all these countries "have high GDP per capita, low inequality rates, literacy rates close to 100 press, and prioritize human right issues such as gender equality and freedom of information."

Low corruption, that's a good way to start!

2. Most Heavy Metal Bands per Capita
The graphs don't lie. Finland has the most heavy metal bands per capita in the world. The dark winter surely plays a major role in this attachment to suicidal lyrics, double bass drum, and the color black: the Nordic countries are the clear winners of this genre. But even in this crowd, Finland stands apart. While Sweden and Norway have only 27 heavy metal bands per 100.000 inhabitants, Finland boasts double as much, 54 bands per 100.000. A metal band in every village!

If you don't know what heavy metal or death metal sounds like, start with Children of Bodom, a Finnish band named after a famous massacre that took place on the quiet shores of the Lake Bodom.

3. The Best Education System in the World
As mentioned, the PISA rankings put Finland as number one in at least one of the categories of Science, Reading and Mathematics every time from 2000 to 2006. Because of this, even today it is impossible to read an article in New York Times about education, without somebody mentioning Finland as an example.

4. The Country with the Heaviest Coffee Consumption in the World
How do you survive days when the sun peeks from the horizon for a few hours, before dropping back towards the more blessed countries in the south? What do you do when it is freezing cold and completely dark outside, and you feel that you can't get out of the bed to face the harsh reality?

The answer: You drink coffee. While the annual world average of coffee consumption is 1.3 kg per person, the average Finnish person likes to indulge plenty of cups per day to consume 12 kg of coffee per year.

The harsh winter is not so harsh when you are constantly high on caffeine.

5. The Least Failed State in the World
Some countries fail. Think of Somalia, Congo, and Sudan, where the government controls only a tiny fraction of the country, while the rest is in various states of anarchy and tribal warfare. Some other countries don't fail. And among these, Finland is the global leader.

Fund for Peace ranks state failure by various indicators including lack of practical control over territory, non-provision of public services and widespread corruption and criminality. From one end of the index we find countries that are completely malfunctional. From the other end of the index we find Finland, which thus can be said to be the most stable country in the world (pending Russian invasion).

6. Most Saunas per Capita
This is a category where Finland truly sets itself apart from the rest of the world. We are the unquestioned champions of sauna!

Think about it: 3.3 million saunas for 5.3 million people. More than one sauna for every other citizen. Take a family of five, include the babies and the grandparents, and they are prone to have at least three saunas. There are saunas everywhere in Finland: Every newer apartment is equipped with a sauna, all hotels, gyms and office buildings have them. Even foreigners living in Finland can't escape them: Bruce Oreck, the former bodybuilder and current US Ambassador in Finland admits going to sauna at least once per week.

7. Best Country in the World to Be a Mother
For the last 14 years, Save the Children has been ranking countries based on how good places they are for mothers. And the current leader is Finland.

The low lifetime risk for maternal death (1 in 12.200 is five times better than the US death rate of 1 in 2.400) and the amount of women in national government (42.5% as compared to US 18.2%) are some of the criteria that land Finland to the number one position as the place to give birth and raise a family.

8. The Country Drinking the Most Milk per Capita
What do Finnish people drink? Beer and vodka might be the first images that come to mind. But alas, Finland is only 11th in beer consumption around the world, and much "worse" in spirit consumption. But when it comes to milk, Finnish people consume 1 liter per day per person (0.26 gallons) outranking its rival Sweden to claim the top spot around the world.

If you are wondering why Finnish mothers are so strong, the reason is the heavy milk packages they have to carry home every day to satisfy the children's endless thirst for more of this white gold.

9. Helsinki is the most livable city in the world
When Monocle investigated cities of the world to find the most livable, Helsinki, the capital of Finland, emerged as number one. According to the Monocle, "the Finnish capital stands out for its fundamental courage to rethink its urban ambitions, and for possessing the talent, ideas and guts to pull it off." Helsinki has indeed changed quite much from those not-so-far-away-days when one could only buy alcohol when one ordered a meal.

10. Helsinki is the Most Honest City in the World
Reader's Digest decided to drop 192 wallets into 16 different cities from New York to Mumbai to see how many of them would be returned. In every city 12 wallets were dropped and in Lisbon, Portugal, only one of the wallets was returned - by a couple on holiday from Holland. Compare this with Helsinki, the winner of the experiment, where 11 wallets out of 12 were returned making the capital of Finland the most honest city in the world.

P.S. If you thought that honesty is an effect of how rich or poor a country is, think again: Number two, with 9 wallets returned, was Mumbai in India, which beat, for example, New York (8 wallets returned), Berlin (6 wallets returned) and London (5 wallets returned).

11. Finland does the Best Mobile Games in the World
Well, best is always a matter of taste, but Finnish mobile games are the most successful. Supercell made recently history by holding the #1 and #2 positions as the top grossing US iPad and iPhone apps. Other recent Finnish apps hitting the top position in downloads or revenue include Badlands and Oceanhorn. In a recent chart, three Finnish companies held together more Top 5 positions in iPad charts than all US vendors combined. Not bad for a country of five million people, and surely the most hit games per capita any country has ever produced.

And then there is Angry Birds, the most famous Finnish product since the Nokia phones. Get this: Recently Rovio, the company behind Angry Birds, announced that the downloads for their flagship game had surpassed two billions. Two billions!

To put that number in perspective, consider that Michael Jackson's Thriller, the best-selling album of all times, has sold around 60 million copies worldwide. This means that there are over 30 times more Angry Birds in mobile phones around the world than there are copies of Thriller. No wonder Ben Rooney from the Wall Street Journal was forced to ask: "Is Angry Birds bigger than Mickey Mouse?"

12. The Country Borrowing the Most Books from Public Libraries per Capita
In New York people borrow on average 8 books per capita per year. In Berlin the number is 6.8, in London 4.8, in Paris 4, in Shanghai 2.5, and in Rio de Janeiro 0.03. In Finland, however, the number is 18 per capita. That means that a family of five borrowing 100 books during one year is nothing unusual. In fact it is the norm rather than the exception.

Reliable international comparisons are lacking, but until somebody comes to challenge the Finnish number of 18 per capita, I am ready to crown Finland as the country with the most used public libraries.

Hyvin tehty, Suomi ;)

Óttar
09-06-2017, 10:18 PM
They are also consistently ranked as one of the most, if not the most, depressed population.

MissMischief
09-06-2017, 10:40 PM
They are also consistently ranked as one of the most, if not the most, depressed population.

Yea I was quite surprised when I learned that Finland has actually the highest murder rate in western Europe and by far the highest suicide rate in the Nordic countries :confused:

Sebastianus Rex
09-06-2017, 10:49 PM
Yea I was quite surprised when I learned that Finland has actually the highest murder rate in western Europe and by far the highest suicide rate in the Nordic countries :confused:

That's because most of those indexes are major BS otherwise they wouldn't have such high suicide rates.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-44Ezed1dgME/TtOgEd3qgpI/AAAAAAAAAbM/3BG4trpEfBI/s1123/Suicide.png

MissMischief
09-06-2017, 10:54 PM
That's because most of those indexes are major BS otherwise they wouldn't have such high suicide rates.

This just confirms what I said. They have "by far the highest suicide rate in the Nordic countries." Just look at the chart - they're above Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Denmark.

Sebastianus Rex
09-06-2017, 10:58 PM
This just confirms what I said. They have "by far the highest suicide rate in the Nordic countries." Just look at the chart - they're above Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Denmark.

There seems to be a tendency that countries with sunny climates have lower suicide rates.

Finnish Swede
09-06-2017, 11:07 PM

Like I said...Finns are ''unique''. They are also one of the World's happiest nation (no matter of their high suicide rate). Any idea how this can be (I know)?

http://i.xomf.com/fszzx.jpg (http://xomf.com/fszzx)

Colonel Frank Grimes
09-06-2017, 11:11 PM

The murder rate is probably a consequence of heavy drinking. Finns appear to drink a lot and that's when violence normally happens. Sober people rarely get involved in violent confrontations.

The suicide rate is probably a consequence of the climate's effect on people's mood. People with a tendency towards depression are heavily effected by climate.

B01AB20
09-06-2017, 11:17 PM
I really envy the honesty stuff, our politicians are the most dishonest shit of all europe. Well maybe in Italy or Greece are on the same level... I wonder why dishonesty of politicians increases as you go down south in europe.

At least it concers mainly to politicians, the rest of public servants have a more or less acceptable honesty, but surely they are also less honest than in north europe,

Colonel Frank Grimes
09-06-2017, 11:29 PM
I really envy the honesty stuff, our politicians are the most dishonest shit of all europe. Well maybe in Italy or Greece are on the same level... I wonder why dishonesty of politicians increases as you go down south in europe.

At least it concers mainly to politicians, the rest of public servants have a more or less acceptable honesty, but surely they are also less honest than in north europe,

Since as far back as I can remember my mother has told me to trust no one, lol.

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
09-06-2017, 11:29 PM
The murder rate is probably a consequence of heavy drinking. Finns appear to drink a lot and that's when violence normally happens. Sober people rarely get involved in violent confrontations.

The suicide rate is probably a consequence of the climate's effect on people's mood. People with a tendency towards depression are heavily effected by climate.

Finland is the sixth nation worldwide with most guns per capita. It makes it easier to commit murder and suicide.

Harkonnen
09-10-2017, 07:18 PM

There is actually a gene for impulsive behaviour found in violent offenders at higher rate contra rest of the population

Being impulsive at the shopping mall is one thing, but the personality trait at the extreme is linked to violence and criminal behavior. Now scientists have found a gene mutation behind such impulsive behavior.
The gene mutation affects the action of the neurotransmitter serotonin, a hormone known to be related to self-control, according to the researchers.
The mutation, which is found only in Finnish populations, shows up three times more often in violent criminal offenders than in psychologically healthy Finns, the study found. However, the researchers caution that the mutation itself does not cause impulsivity, but may play a role along with factors like gender, alcohol consumption and stress.
"We've known that impulsivity is strongly influenced genetically, but here's a severe genetic variant that does contribute to it," study author David Goldman, a geneticist at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), told LiveScience.

Impulsive genes
Earlier studies have found that low serotonin levels are associated with impulsive behavior. Research also has suggested a heritable component to impulsive behavior and to disorders involving impulsivity, such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
In the current study, researchers recruited 96 Finnish men who were in jail for violent offenses and 96 psychologically healthy Finnish men who were not incarcerated. Finns were chosen for the study, because the Finnish population is more isolated than other populations and therefore hosts a less-diverse array of genetic mutations.
Goldman and his colleagues analyzed each man's genome, focusing on 14 genes known to be related to the function of the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin. They found a mutation on a gene called HTR2B was associated with impulsive, violent behavior. HTR2B contains the instructions for a serotonin receptor found all over the brain, especially in the frontal lobe, the seat of impulse control. The mutation in HTR2B is a misplaced "stop codon," or genetic code that halts the transcription of a gene into a functional product. The stop codon prevents the expression of the serotonin receptor.
History of violence
Seventeen of the 96 inmates had the gene mutation, a rate three times that of the non-incarcerated participants. On average, the prisoners had committed five violent crimes apiece, 94 percent of which occurred under the influence of alcohol. The crimes were not premeditated and were usually an overreaction to a minor incident, the researchers report. The study also revealed that 70 percent of participants with the mutation had displayed suicidal behavior.
To better understand the role of the gene, the researchers bred mice with the same mutation. They found that mutated mice were more likely to show impulsive behaviors when exposed to new objects or environments than were regular mice. The mice with the mutation also had higher testosterone levels, a trait they shared with human men with the same mutation.

Genes aren't destiny, the researchers were quick to warn.
"The [mutant] allele can be regarded as one determinant of behavioral variation," the researchers wrote. "However, the presence of [the mutation] was not in itself sufficient: male sex, testosterone level, the decision to drink alcohol, and probably other factors such as stress exposure, all have important roles." (An allele is a gene variant.)
In other words, Goldman said, the gene isn't sufficient to turn someone to a life of crime.
"What we've extrapolated is that over 100,000 Finns carry this variant," he said. "Most of them will never commit any highly impulsive act, much less a criminal act."
The fact that the mutation is only present in Finns is a reminder of the genetic diversity of complex traits like psychiatric disorders or propensity toward impulsivity, University of California, San Diego psychiatrist John Kelsoe wrote in a News & Views article accompanying the study.
"But although this specific mutation is absent in non-Finnish populations, different mutations in the HTR2B gene might operate in other populations," Kelsoe, who was not involved in the study, wrote.

https://www.livescience.com/9197-impulsive-gene-identified-finnish-men.html

Now it is finally proven that suicidal behaviour is linked with higher testo/manliness. Take heed.

Harkonnen
09-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Like I said...Finns are ''unique''. They are also one of the World's happiest nation (no matter of their high suicide rate). Any idea how this can be (I know)?

http://i.xomf.com/fszzx.jpg (http://xomf.com/fszzx)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ycyjRMrUAY

MissMischief
09-10-2017, 08:02 PM

What caught me off guard is the fact that alcohol consumption is actually relatively low in Finland (even Portugal is above them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capit a). However, I suspect this is because alcohol is taxed to buggery over there. In Finland, all you can find in supermarkets is relatively low-alcohol beer. You have to go to special government-controlled off-licences even to buy wine, let alone spirits, and they seem to be rather few and far between.

The next question is WHY alcohol is taxed to buggery in these countries. I would venture to suggest it is precisely because these governments are fearful of how much their people would drink if they could afford it.

And the next question is WHY these people would drink heavily if given the opportunity. I think climate is relevant. Very short winter days are bloody depressing. The people are not very outgoing and sociable. It is very common there not to have very much contact at all with neighbours. They work hard during the week, and at weekends go off to their huts and cottages by the lakes, so there is very little 'community' amongst neighbours who barely see each other from one month to the next. They like keeping themselves to themselves.

Basically, Finland is one of the few countries where 'neighbourliness' is defined as leaving well alone, rather than seeing how you can be a good neighbour. I probably wouldn't like to live there and be in need, even if the 'need' was just a bit of social contact, because you would never get a charitable neighbour popping round for a cup of tea to ask how you were.

Finnish Swede
09-10-2017, 08:22 PM
What caught me off guard is the fact that alcohol consumption is actually relatively low in Finland (even Portugal is above them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capit a). However, I suspect this is because alcohol is taxed to buggery over there. In Finland, all you can find in supermarkets is relatively low-alcohol beer. You have to go to special government-controlled off-licences even to buy wine, let alone spirits, and they seem to be rather few and far between.

The next question is WHY alcohol is taxed to buggery in these countries. I would venture to suggest it is precisely because these governments are fearful of how much their people would drink if they could afford it.

And the next question is WHY these people would drink heavily if given the opportunity. I think climate is relevant. Very short winter days are bloody depressing. The people are not very outgoing and sociable. It is very common there not to have very much contact at all with neighbours. They work hard during the week, and at weekends go off to their huts and cottages by the lakes, so there is very little 'community' amongst neighbours who barely see each other from one month to the next. They like keeping themselves to themselves.

Basically, Finland is one of the few countries where 'neighbourliness' is defined as leaving well alone, rather than seeing how you can be a good neighbour. I probably wouldn't like to live there and be in need, even if the 'need' was just a bit of social contact, because you would never get a charitable neighbour popping round for a cup of tea to ask how you were.

If alcohol would become cheaper here, I'm sure there would be cusp in consumption....but in any longer run...I like to believe it would stable in one level. There are already today lots of people who could buy much more alcohol, but they still will not do it. Normal rythms of life puts some limits.

Yep. Average level Finns are not the hardest drinkers in Europe. But some alcholics drinks a lot. No matter how much it costs.

Yes. Goverment is worrying if comsumption of alcohol would rise. But mainly because in Nordic countries (incl. Finland) nation pays hospitality costs, treatise costs, medicins. Same goes with alcoholics (so it does't matter if you have caused your healthy problems by yourselves).

Yep. Finns are the worst people what comes to ''small talks''. Finns 'hate'' that ''theater'' (= both sides knows it doen't mean anything => waist of time/useless/meanless).
Finns needs alot of personal space too.

Jehan
09-10-2017, 08:22 PM

Many finns take the ferry for Tallinn (Estonia) where they can buy alcool for a very cheap price. I don't think it's taken in account in the alcool consumption.

Finnish Swede
09-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Many finns take the ferry for Tallinn (Estonia) where they can buy alcool for a very cheap price. I don't think it's taken in account in the alcool consumption.

It has been calculated....but only with using estimates.
Estonia is also rising alcohol taxes now in next 3 years time.

So the next stop/place might be Latvia (also to Estonians).

Tacitus
09-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Yep. Finns are the worst people what comes to ''small talks''. Finns 'hate'' that ''theater'' (= both sides knows it doen't mean anything => waist of time/useless/meanless).
Finns needs alot of personal space too.

An introverted Finn will look down at his shoes when talking to you. An extroverted Finn will look down at *your* shoes when talking to you. ;)

Colonel Frank Grimes
09-10-2017, 08:37 PM

From the study posted by Harkonnen.

Seventeen of the 96 inmates had the gene mutation, a rate three times that of the non-incarcerated participants. On average, the prisoners had committed five violent crimes apiece, 94 percent of which occurred under the influence of alcohol. The crimes were not premeditated and were usually an overreaction to a minor incident, the researchers report. The study also revealed that 70 percent of participants with the mutation had displayed suicidal behavior.

Alcohol is the absolute worse. I never heard of someone beating their wife, stabbing a friend, or fist fighting with a stranger over a perceived slight with smoking pot but yet there still people - such as prison guard associations in the US - who want to keep pot from being decriminalized. I've never heard of someone dying if they stop smoking pot but plenty of stories of alcoholics dying after going cold turkey.

I would be in support of taxing alcohol as they have cigarettes here.

Finnish Swede
09-10-2017, 08:45 PM
An introverted Finn will look down at his shoes when talking to you. An extroverted Finn will look down at *your* shoes when talking to you. ;)

True. :nod:
And if you continue talking ''nonsenses''...he will finally ''silence'' you.

Harkonnen
09-10-2017, 09:10 PM

https://youtu.be/LWheSfRs7gE?t=3m24s

MissMischief
09-10-2017, 09:19 PM
https://youtu.be/LWheSfRs7gE?t=3m24s

Ever done the "wife carrying" or partecipated in any of these weird competitions? Haha love it :biggrin:

https://www.thecrowdedplanet.com/10-weird-finnish-events/

Harkonnen
09-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Ever done the "wife carrying" or partecipated in any of these weird competitions? Haha love it :biggrin:

https://www.thecrowdedplanet.com/10-weird-finnish-events/

Nah, I'm boringly sane.

Lightshade25
09-14-2017, 05:05 PM

Because Finland is depressing asf.