PDA

View Full Version : Laws Governing Racial and Hate Crimes to be Toughened

The Ripper
12-16-2010, 07:09 PM
The government has proposed stronger measures to deal with racially motivated and hate crimes perpetrated on the internet. Toughened severity clauses will be applied to both racially motivated and other hate crimes in the future.

Keeping writings on the net promoting such crimes would be prosecuted in addition to their distribution. For example, displaying writings that promote violence on an individual’s own web pages or social network site would be punishable even if that person was not the writer of the offending copy.
A specific clause in criminal justice legislation outlawing the promotion of racial hatred towards others would be adopted allowing for a maximum punishment of our years’ imprisonment.

This clause could also be applied to such cases encouraging mass destruction or similar severe crimes against human rights, murder and terrorist-related killings.

So called hate crimes against a person on the grounds of colour, place of birth, faith, sexual orientation or disability would fall under the same clause.

Commenting on the government’s proposals, which would bring Finland into line with EU policy, Minister of Justice, Tuija Brax, said social network sites such as Facebook were no different from any garden fence or letters' column when promoting racial hatred.

YLE

http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2010/12/laws_governing_racial_and_hate_crimes_to_be_toughe ned_2225974.html

The Lawspeaker
12-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Yap. I am quite sure it is all just a coincidence. At first there were hardly any immigrants in Finland and now they are being brought in and the thought crimes laws are being toughened. All just a coincidence. Move on, sheeple, there is nothing to be seen here.

The Ripper
12-16-2010, 07:14 PM
The government is afraid that isolated incidents are going to turn popular opinion against an international Finland. :D

Eldritch
12-17-2010, 11:31 AM
For example, displaying writings that promote violence on an individual’s own web pages or social network site would be punishable even if that person was not the writer of the offending copy.

If and when the law is passed I'll be the first to post Mein Kampf quotes and Seppo Lehto YT videos on Tuija Brax's Facebook page. :thumb001:

Motörhead Remember Me
12-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Will crimes committed by foreigners against Finns now be counted as hate crimes also?

Is it going to be called a hate crime when a bunch of Africans or Arabs gangrape a Finnish woman and will they face tougher penalties?

I'm afraid not.

Eldritch
12-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Will crimes committed by foreigners against Finns now be counted as hate crimes also?

Is it going to be called a hate crime when a bunch of Africans or Arabs gangrape a Finnish woman and will they face tougher penalties?

One can always hope. Then again, of course one can always hope that on New Year's Day, in Helsinki's Ruskeasuo swamp at 11.47, it will start raining gas-masked Adolf Hitlers with a banana opened at the wrong end in their left hand.

Loki
12-28-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't understand. Does this mean then that Finns can promote hate and incite violence against individuals, as long as they're of the same race, faith etc as the victim? What a horrifying idea.

Eldritch
12-28-2010, 09:44 PM
I don't understand. Does this mean then that Finns can promote hate and incite violence against individuals, as long as they're of the same race, faith etc as the victim? What a horrifying idea.

No, but if the victim is of different religion or ethnic group (or if we want to be honest, an African or a Middle Easterner, or a Muslim of any origin) then that is considered an aggravating circumstance.