PDA

View Full Version : [SPLIT from "Today I..."] Dutch language reforms

The Lawspeaker
12-17-2010, 02:45 PM
I was just thinking about attempting to use the Spelling-Marchant (Dutch spelling reform of 1934) in order to come closer to the more appropriate and traditional spelling of Dutch because the post-war spelling reforms (in particularly the latest of 2006) annoy me.

Osweo
12-17-2010, 06:10 PM
I was just thinking about attempting to use the Spelling-Marchant (Dutch spelling reform of 1934) in order to come closer to the more appropriate and traditional spelling of Dutch because the post-war spelling reforms (in particularly the latest of 2006) annoy me.

Any examples? The very idea is horrific to an Englishman!

Aj mijn, it w@d prob@bli end up lajk this or s^mthigg. Horendus! Aj wud bij autrejdzhd! ^t@li ^nthinkab@l!

The Lawspeaker
12-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Stuff like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Dutch_orthography):

[In 1994, after much discussion, the Committee of Ministers of the Nederlandse Taalunie which had been founded in 1980 issued a new spelling decree. In the new Groene Boekje which they published the alternative “progressive” spellings were abolished (it was now actie) and there were new rules about the n linking the compounds of words (pannekoek (pancake) became pannenkoek and bessesap (currant juice) became bessensap). This came into force in 1996.

I would go back to mensch instead of mens. To regeering instead of regering, to tusschen instead of tussen. To Duitschland instead of Duitsland and back to pannekoek, bessesap.

A nice example:

1940:
„Met verontwaardiging wijst Harer Majesteits Regeering de aantijging der Duitsche Regeering van de hand, dat zij, op eenige wijze, of met eenige mogendheid, geheime en tegen Duitschland gerichte afspraken heeft gemaakt."

2010:
„Met verontwaardiging wijst de (I am not sure whether they would still use the prefix Hare Majesteit's) regering de aantijging van de Duitse regering van de hand, dat zij, op enige wijze, of met enige mogendheid, geheime en tegen Duitsland gerichte afspraken heeft gemaakt."

(Translation:„ With indignation Her Majesty's Government rejects the allegation by the German Government, that it, in any way, or with any other Power, has made secret agreements directed against Germany .")

Osweo
12-17-2010, 07:06 PM
pannekoek, bessesap.
You mean to say that the State suddenly decided that you should stick an 'N' in the middle of a word!?!

Was that the spoken form in some regions? Why was it favoured over the 'n-less' form!?

Why on Earth would anyone obey such absurd decrees!??!?!!1 :eek:

The Lawspeaker
12-17-2010, 07:09 PM
I have no idea but it is pronounced without the -n and has always been so. So the Language Union fucked up again... as always.