PDA

View Full Version : RIP Captain Beefheart

Eldritch
12-19-2010, 05:00 PM
http://www.boingboing.net/images/_tractor-so_beefbox-inlay-a.jpg

Captain Beefheart, who has died aged 69, was provocative and unpredictable

The influence of Don Van Vliet, aka Captain Beefheart, stretched from the Grateful Dead to the Sex Pistols and beyond.

Don Van Vliet, better-known as Captain Beefheart, one of the most influential American musicians of the 1960s and 1970s and avant garde frontman of the Magic Band, has died in California, aged 69. A representative of the Michael Werner Gallery, in New York, which hosted several of his art exhibitions, confirmed his death from complications from multiple sclerosis in a statement yesterday.

With a mixture of Chicago blues, jazz, rock and his own experimental music his reach and influence stretched from the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane in America to Jethro Tull, Hawkwind and Roxy Music in the UK. His biggest legacy may have been his influence on the punk movement, cited by several key figures as an influence, including Johnny Rotten.

Beefheart was a close friend of the late Frank Zappa, who played in the same group with him as teenagers and although they had a love-hate relationship they would play together later in life. Zappa often supported him – sometimes financially – at various key points in his life, and gave him a recording contract when other labels would not touch him.

Link. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/dec/18/captain-beefheart-died-provocative-unpredictable)

Piparskeggr
12-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I saw this elsewhere...another icon of my musical meanderings gone on to that Big Band in the sky.

Birka
12-19-2010, 07:31 PM
He is now playing music with his old friend, Frank Zappa.

Eldritch
12-19-2010, 07:37 PM

Old friend and nemesis. :p

Bloodeagle
12-19-2010, 09:35 PM
I listened to a biography on Captain Beefheart, yesterday at work. They said that he was a musical genius and a real hardass with his musicians, hated yet respected. He was peerless in his field.
I shall have to get to know him better through his music. :)

antonio
12-21-2010, 04:57 PM
I know him just his name, but yesterday I downloaded :cool: his first album with the Magic Band, ear just the two or three opening songs and find them fantastic. Although all that late sixties American rock are for me strongly linked to that {Hell's Angels, Easy Rider, Harleys (compulsory item for all Spanish though or authentic guys little-bourgueoise wanabees...so pathetic), etc...} culture I really tired of I think I should keep on listening the soundtrack. :thumb001:

Pd. BTW it's curious how a unefficient ear-destroying fuel-waster American motor corporation keeps on healthy living just by a matter of scale: no one in Europe would want to pay a single dime for a similar car but, hey, a Harley for thinking he's so rebel at weekend it's a different thing.:cool:

Don Brick
12-21-2010, 05:01 PM
R.I.P you crazy talented bastard. Fuck! :mad:

Don Brick
12-21-2010, 05:07 PM

I´m afraid to even imagine what kind of insanity those two could conjure. Especially if they ended up in hell, j/k. :D Zappa though would probably snap back at me with his usual rhetorics for even entertaining the notion that a heaven or hell could exist. :p

Electronic God-Man
12-21-2010, 05:12 PM
HE32tcojArI

GWNhq0dDr5I

iqRHr5pEIFU