PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite quote/passage

Pages : [1] 2

Ulf
02-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Pretty self explanatory, although I'd prefer some longer passages instead of the short quotes. :)

24. In the Happy Isles

THE figs fall from the trees, they are good and sweet; and in falling the red skins of them break. A north wind am I to ripe figs.

Thus, like figs, do these doctrines fall for you, my friends: imbibe now their juice and their sweet substance! It is autumn all around, and clear sky, and afternoon.

Lo, what fullness is around us! And out of the midst of superabundance, it is delightful to look out upon distant seas.

Once did people say God, when they looked out upon distant seas; now, however, have I taught you to say, Superman.

God is a conjecture: but I do not wish your conjecturing to reach beyond your creating will.

Could you create a God?- Then, I pray you, be silent about all gods! But you could well create the Superman.

Not perhaps you yourselves, my brothers! But into fathers and forefathers of the Superman could you transform yourselves: and let that be your best creating!- God is a conjecture:
but I should like your conjecturing restricted to the conceivable.

Could you conceive a God?- But let this mean Will to Truth to you, that everything be transformed into the humanly conceivable, the humanly visible, the humanly sensible! Your own discernment shall you follow out to the end!

And what you have called the world shall but be created by you: your reason, your likeness, your will, your love, shall it itself become! And verily, for your bliss, you discerning ones!

And how would you endure life without that hope, you discerning ones? Neither in the inconceivable could you have been born, nor in the irrational.

But that I may reveal my heart entirely to you, my friends: if there were gods, how could I endure it to be no God! Therefore there are no gods.

Yes, I have drawn the conclusion; now, however, does it draw me.-

God is a conjecture: but who could drink all the bitterness of this conjecture without dying? Shall his faith be taken from the creator, and from the eagle his flights into eagle-heights?

God is a thought- it makes all the straight crooked, and all that stands reel. What? Time would be gone, and all the perishable would be but a lie?

To think this is giddiness and vertigo to human limbs, and even vomiting to the stomach: verily, the reeling sickness do I call it, to conjecture such a thing.

Evil do I call it and misanthropic: all that teaching about the one, and the plenum, and the unmoved, and the sufficient, and the imperishable!

All the imperishable- that's but a parable, and the poets lie too much.- But of time and of becoming shall the best parables speak: a praise shall they be, and a justification of all
perishing!

Creating- that is the great salvation from suffering, and life's alleviation. But for the creator to appear, suffering itself is needed, and much transformation.

Yes, much bitter dying must there be in your life, you creators! Thus are you advocates and justifiers of all perishing.

For the creator himself to be the new-born child, he must also be willing to be the child-bearer, and endure the pangs of the child-bearer.

Through a hundred souls went I my way, and through a hundred cradles and birth-throes. Many a farewell have I taken; I know the heart-breaking last hours.

But so wills it my creating Will, my fate. Or, to tell you it more candidly: just such a fate- wills my Will.

All feeling suffers in me, and is in prison: but my willing ever comes to me as my emancipator and comforter.

Willing emancipates: that is the true doctrine of will and emancipation- so teaches you Zarathustra.

No longer willing, and no longer valuing, and no longer creating! Ah, that that great debility may ever be far from me!

And also in discerning do I feel only my will's procreating and evolving delight; and if there be innocence in my knowledge, it is because there is will to procreation in it.

Away from God and gods did this will allure me; what would there be to create if there were- gods!

But to man does it ever impel me anew, my fervent creative will; thus impels it the hammer to the stone.

Ah, you men, within the stone slumbers an image for me, the image of my visions! Ah, that it should slumber in the hardest, ugliest stone! Now rages my hammer ruthlessly
against its prison. From the stone fly the fragments: what's that to me?

I will complete it: for a shadow came to me- the still and lightest of all things once came to me!

The beauty of the Superman came to me as a shadow. Ah, my brothers! Of what account now are- the gods to me!-

Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Beorn
02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervour, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind.
And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so.
How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar.

Author Unknown.

Psychonaut
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
This passage from Edith Hamilton's Mythology (pp. 300-301) made a tremendous impact on me:

The world of Norse mythology is a strange world. Asgard, the home of the gods, is unlike any other heaven men have dreamed of. No radiancy of joy is in it, no assurance of bliss. It is a grave and solemn place, over which hangs the threat of an inevitable doom. The gods know that a day will come when they will be destroyed. Sometime they will meet their enemies and go down beneath them to defeat and death. Asgard will fall in ruins. The cause the forces of god are fighting to defend against the forces of evil is hopeless. Nevertheless, the gods will fight for it to the end.

Necessarily the same is true of humanity. If the gods are finally helpless before evil, men and women must be more so. The heroes and heroines of the early stories face disaster. They know that they cannot save themselves, not by any courage or endurance or great deed. Even so, they do not yield. They die resisting. A brave death entitles them -- at least the heroes -- to a seat in Valhalla, one of the halls in Asgard, but there too they must look forward to final defeat and destruction. In the last battle between good and evil they will fight on the side of the gods and die with them.

This is the conception of life which underlies the Norse religion, as somber a conception as the mind of man has ever given birth to. The only sustaining support possible for the human spirit, the one pure unsullied good men can hope to attian, is heroism; and heroism depends on lost causes. The hero can prove what he is only by dying. The power of good is shown not by triumphantly conquering evil, but by continuing to resist evil while facing certain defeat.

Such an attitude toward life seems at firstslight fatalistic, but actually the decrees of an inexorable fate played no more part in the Norseman's scheme of existence than predestination did in St. Paul's or in that of his militant Protestant followers, and for precisely the same reason. Although the Norse hero was doomed if he did not yield, he could choose betwen yielding or dying. The decision was in his own hands. Even more than that. A heroic death, like a martyr's death, is not a defeat, but a triumph. The hero in one of the Norse stories who laughs aloud while his foes cut his heart out of his living flesh shows himself superior to his conquerors. He sayd to them, in effect, You can do nothing to me because I do not care what you do. They kill him, but he dies undefeated.

This is stern stuff for humanity to live by, as stern in its totaly different way as the Sermon on the Mount, but the easy way has never in the long run commanded the allegiance of mankind. Like the early Christians, the Norsemen measured their life by heroic standards. The Christian, however, looked looked forward to a heaven of eternal joy. The Norsemen did not. But it would appear that for unknown centuries, until the Christian missionaries came, heroism was enough.

Lyfing
02-11-2009, 07:16 PM
This one from Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals..

Would anyone care to learn something about the way in which ideals are manufactured? Does anyone have the nerve?…Well then, go ahead! There’s a chink through which you can peek into this murky shop. But wait just a moment, Mr. Foolhardy; your eyes must grow accustomed to the fickle light…all right, tell me what’s going on in there, audacious fellow; now I am the one who is listening.

“I can’t see a thing, but I hear all the more. There’s a low, cautious whispering in every nook and corner. I have a notion these people are lying. All the sounds are sugary and soft. No doubt you were right; they are transmuting weakness into merit.”

“Go on”

“Impotence, which cannot retaliate, into kindness; pusillanimity into humility; submission before those one hates into obedience to One of whom they say that he has commanded this submission--they call him God. The inoffensiveness of the weak, his cowardice, his ineluctable standing and waiting at doors, are being given honorific titles such as patience; to be unable to avenge oneself is called to be unwilling to avenge oneself--even forgiveness (“for they know not what they do--we alone know what they do.”)
Also there’s some talk of loving one’s enemy--accompanied by much sweat.”

“Go on”

“I’m sure they are quite miserable, all these whisperers and smalltime counterfeiters, even thought they huddle close together for warmth. But they tell me that this very misery is the sign of their election by God, that one beats the dogs one loves best, that this misery is perhaps also a preparation, a test, a kind of training, perhaps even more than that: something for which eventually they will be compensated with tremendous interest--in gold? No, in happiness. They call this bliss.”

“Go on”

“Now they tell me that not only are they better than the mighty of this earth, whose spittle they must lick ( not from fear--by no means--but because God commands us to honor our superiors), but they are even better off, or at least they will be better off someday. But I’ve had all I can stand. The smell is too much for me. This shop where they manufacture ideals seems to me to stink of lies.”

“But just a moment. You haven’t told me anything about the greatest feat of these black magicians, who precipitate the white milk of loving-kindness out of every kind of blackness. Haven’t you noticed their most consummate sleight of hand, their boldest, finest, most brilliant trick? Just watch! These vermin, full of vindictive hatred, what are they brewing out of their own poisons? Have you ever heard vengeance and hatred mentioned? Would you ever guess, if you only listened to their words, that these are men bursting with hatred?”

“I see what you mean. I’ll open my ears again--and stop my nose. Now I can make out what they seem to have been saying all along ‘We, the good ones, are also the just ones.’ They call the thing they seek not retribution but the triumph of justice; the thing they hate is not their enemy, by no means--they hate injustice, ungodliness; the thing they hope for and believe in is not vengeance, the sweet exultation of vengeance (‘sweeter than honey’ as Homer said) but ‘the triumph of God’ who is just, over the godless’; what remains to them to love on this earth is not their brothers in hatred, but what they call their ‘brother in love’-- all who are good and just.”

“And what do they call that which comforts them in all their suffering--their phantasmagoria of future bliss?”

“Do I hear correctly? They call it Judgment Day, the coming of their kingdom, the ‘Kingdom of God.’ Meanwhile they live in ‘faith,’ in ‘love,’ in ‘hope.’”

“Stop! I’ve heard enough.”

From The Birth of Tragedy & the Genealogy of Morals translated by Francis Golffing..pages 180-182

Heimmacht
02-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I am not bound to please thee with my answers.

To love is to lose to lose is to die.

and,..

Your mother has SO many ass-hair they can knit carpets from it for WHOLE morocco.

These among others.

Psychonaut
02-11-2009, 09:51 PM
An offering from Peter Carroll's essay Slight of Mind:

A god ignored is a demon born.

Think you to hypertrophy some selves at the expense of others?

That which is denied gains power, and seeks strange and unexpected forms of manifestation.

Deny Death and other forms of Suicide will arise.

Deny Sex and bizzarre forms of its expression will torment you.

Deny Love and absurd sentimentalities will disable you.

Deny Aggression only to stare eventually at the bloody Knife in your shaking hand.

Deny honest Fear and Desire only to create senseless neuroticism and avarice.

Deny Laughter and the world laughs at you.

Deny Magic only to become a confused robot, inexplicable even unto yourself.

Ulf
02-12-2009, 02:35 AM
The total character of the world, however, is in all eternity chaos--in the sense not of a lack of necessity but a lack of order, arrangement, form, beauty, wisdom, and whatever names there are for our aesthetic anthropomorphisms...Let us beware of attributing to it heartlessness and unreason or their opposites: it is neither perfect nor beautiful, nor noble, nor does it wish to become any of these things; it does not by any means strive to imitate man... Let us beware of saying that there are laws in nature. There are only necessities: there is nobody who commands, nobody who obeys, nobody who trespasses... But when will we ever be done with our caution and care? When will all these shadows of God cease to darken our minds? When will we complete our de-deification of nature? When may we begin to "naturalize" humanity in terms of a pure, newly discovered, newly redeemed nature?

from Nietzsche's The Gay Science, s.109, Walter Kaufmann transl..

We have arranged for ourselves a world in which we can live - by positing bodies, lines, planes, causes and effects, motion and rest, form and content; without these articles of faith nobody could now endure life. But that does not prove them. Life is no argument. The conditions of life might include error.

from Nietzsche's The Gay Science, s.121, Walter Kaufmann transl.

HawkR
02-12-2009, 08:56 AM
"There is no right or wrong, just what you do to help yourself. It's all about the survival of the fittest" or something like that, have no idea whoi wrote it.

Addergebroed
02-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Meine Ehre heisst Treue.

Translated as: my honour is my loyalty.

It'll be the first and the last tattoo I'll get!;)

Ulf
02-26-2009, 05:29 PM
The title wise is, for the most part, falsely applied. How can one be a wise man, if he does not know any better how to live than other men? — if he is only more cunning and intellectually subtle?

----------------

I have never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude. We are for the most part more lonely when we go abroad among men than when we stay in our chambers. A man thinking or working is always alone, let him be where he will.

-----------------

There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

-----------------

There are old heads in the world who cannot help me by their example or advice to live worthily and satisfactorily to myself; but I believe that it is in my power to elevate myself this very hour above the common level of my life.

Thoreau

Ulf
02-26-2009, 05:51 PM
To some extent, mythology is only the most ancient history and biography. So far from being false or fabulous in the common sense, it contains only enduring and essential truth, the I and you, the here and there, the now and then, being omitted. Either time or rare wisdom writes it. Before printing was discovered, a century was equal to a thousand years. The poet is he who can write some pure mythology to-day without the aid of posterity

-------

The hidden significance of these fables which is sometimes thought to have been detected, the ethics running parallel to the poetry and history, are not so remarkable as the readiness with which they may be made to express a variety of truths. As if they were the skeletons of still older and more universal truths than any whose flesh and blood they are for the time made to wear. It is like striving to make the sun, or the wind, or the sea symbols to signify exclusively the particular thoughts of our day. But what signifies it? In the mythus a superhuman intelligence uses the unconscious thoughts and dreams of men as its hieroglyphics to address men unborn. In the history of the human mind, these glowing and ruddy fables precede the noonday thoughts of men, as Aurora the sun's rays. The matutine intellect of the poet, keeping in advance of the glare of philosophy, always dwells in this auroral atmosphere.

--------

I am not sure but I should betake myself in extremities to the liberal divinities of Greece, rather than to my country's God. Jehovah, though with us he has acquired new attributes, is more absolute and unapproachable, but hardly more divine, than Jove. He is not so much of a gentleman, not so gracious and catholic, he does not exert so intimate and genial an influence on nature, as many a god of the Greeks.

------------

The Grecian are youthful and erring and fallen gods, with the vices of men, but in many important respects essentially of the divine race. In my Pantheon, Pan still reigns in his pristine glory, with his ruddy face, his flowing beard, and his shaggy body, his pipe and his crook, his nymph Echo, and his chosen daughter Iambe; for the great god Pan is not dead, as was rumored. No god ever dies. Perhaps of all the gods of New England and of ancient Greece, I am most constant at his shrine.

MarcvSS
02-26-2009, 07:29 PM
"People better fear you, then to respect you"

Aemma
03-03-2009, 03:45 PM
...A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write...

At any rate, where books are concerned, it is notoriously difficult to fix labels of merit in such a way that they do not come off. Are not reviews of current literature a perpetual illustration of the difficulty of judgement? 'This great book', 'this worthless book', the same book is called by both names. Prais eand blame alike mean nothing. No, delightful as the pastime of measuring may be, it is the most futile of occupations, and to submit to the decrees of the measurers the most servile of attitudes. So long as you write what you wish to write, that is all that matters; and whether it matters for ages or only for hours, nobody can say. But to sacrifice a hair of the head of your vision, a shade of its colour, in deference to some Headmaster with a silver pot in his hand or to some professor with a measuring-rod up his lseeve, is the msot abject treachery, and the sacrifice of wealth and chastity which used to be said to be the greatest of human disasters, a mere flea-bite in comparison.

Even allowing a generous margin for symbolism, [ ] five hundred a year stands for the power to contemplate, [ ] a lock on the door means the power to think for oneself....

Intellectual freedom depends upon material things. Poetry depends upon intellectual freedom. And women have always been poor, not for teo hundred years merely, but from the beginning of time. Women have had less intellectual freedoms than the sons of Athenian slaves. Women, then, have not had a dog's chance of writing poetry. That is why I have laid so much stress on money and a room of one's own.

Therefore I would ask you to write all kinds of books, hesitating at no subject however trivial or however vast. By hook or by crook, I hope that you will possess yourselves of money enough to travel and to idle, to contemplate the future or the past of the world, to dream over books and loiter at street corners and let the line of thought dip deep into the stream.

...[W]hen I ask you to earn money and have a room of your own, I am asking you to live in the presence of reality, an invigorating life, it would appear, whether one can impart it or not.

A thousand pens are ready to suggest what you should do and to what effect you will have.

Psychonaut
03-06-2009, 07:24 AM
What does a scanner see? he asked himself. I mean, really see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Does a passive infrared scanner like they used to use or a cube-type holo-scanner like they use these days, the latest thing, see into me - into us - clearly or darkly? I hope it does, he thought, see clearly, because I can't any longer these days see into myself. I see only murk. Murk outside; murk inside. I hope, for everyone's sake, the scanners do better. Because, he thought, if the scanner sees only darkly, the way I myself do, then we are cursed, cursed again and like we have been continually, and we'll wind up dead this way, knowing very little and getting that little fragment wrong too.

Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly

Ulf
03-11-2009, 09:20 AM
http://19.media.tumblr.com/vExSfRir7ksssdcedJ9d7wIco1_400.jpg

Ulf
03-12-2009, 03:24 AM
From Feuerbach's The Essence of Christianity (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24948#post24948).

CHRIST is the omnipotence of subjectivity, the heart released from all the bonds and laws of Nature, the soul excluding the world, and concentrated only on itself, the reality of all the heart's wishes, the Easter festival of the heart, the ascent to heaven of the imagination: – Christ therefore is the distinction of Christianity from heathenism.

In Christianity, man was concentrated only on himself, he unlinked himself from the chain of sequences in the system of the universe, he made himself a self-sufficing whole, an absolute, extra- and supra-mundane being. Because he no longer regarded himself as a being immanent in the world, because he severed himself from connection with it, he felt himself an unlimited being – (for the sole limit of subjectivity is the world, is objectivity), – he had no longer any reason to doubt the truth and validity of his subjective wishes and feelings.

The heathens, on the contrary, not shutting out Nature by retreating within themselves, limited their subjectivity by the contemplation of the world. Highly as the ancients estimated the intelligence, the reason, they were yet liberal and objective enough, theoretically as well as practically, to allow that which the distinguished from mind, namely, matter, to live, and even to live eternally; the Christians evinced their theoretical as well as practical intolerance in their belief that they secured the eternity of their subjective life only by annihilating, as in the doctrine of the destruction of the world, the opposite of subjectivity – Nature. The ancients were free from themselves, but their freedom was that of indifference towards themselves; the Christians were free from Nature, but their freedom was not that of reason, not true freedom, which limits itself by the contemplation of the world, by Nature, – it was the freedom of feeling and imagination, the freedom of miracle. The ancients were so enraptured by the cosmos, that they lost sight of themselves, suffered themselves to be merged in the whole; the Christians despised the world; – what is the creature compared with the Creator? What are suns moon, and earth compared with the human soul?

[“How much better is it that I should lose the whole world than that I should lose God, who created the world, and can create innumerable worlds, who is better than a hundred thousand, than innumerable worlds For what sort of a comparison is that of the temporal with the eternal... One soul is better than the whole world.” – Luther (Th. XIX. P. 2 I).]

The world passes away, but man, nay, the individual, personal man, is eternal. If the Christians severed man from all community with Nature, and hence fell into the extreme of an arrogant fastidiousness, which stigmatised the remotest comparison of man with the brutes as an impious violation of human dignity; the heathens, on the other hand, fell into the opposite extreme, into that spirit of depreciation which abolishes the distinction between man and the brute, or even, as was the case, for example, with Celsus, the opponent of Christianity, degrades man beneath the brute.

But the heathens considered man not only in connection with the universe; they considered the individual man, in connection with other men, as member of a commonwealth. They rigorously distinguished the individual from the species, the individual as a part from the race as a whole, and they subordinated the part to the whole. Men pass away. but mankind remains, says a heathen philosopher. “Why wilt thou grieve over the loss of thy daughter?” writes Sulpicius to Cicero. “Great, renowned cities and empires have passed away, and thou behavest thus at the death of an homunculus, a little human being! Where is thy philosophy?” The idea of man as an individual was to the ancients a secondary one, attained through the idea of the species. Though they thought highly of the race, highly of the excellences of mankind, highly and sublimely of the intelligence, they nevertheless thought slightly of the individual. Christianity, on the contrary, cared nothing for the species, and had only the individual in its eye and mind. Christianity – not, certainly, the Christianity of the present day, which has incorporated with itself the culture of heathenism, and has preserved only the name and some general positions of Christianity – is the direct opposite of heathenism, and only when it is regarded as such is it truly comprehended, and untravestied by arbitrary speculative interpretation; it is true so far as its opposite is false, and false so far as its opposite is true. The ancients sacrificed the individual to the species; the Christians sacrificed the species to the individual. Or, heathenism conceived the individual only as a part in distinction from the whole of the species; Christianity, on the contrary, conceived the individual only in immediate, undistinguishable unity with the species.

To Christianity the individual was the object of an immediate providence, that is, an immediate object of the Divine Being The heathens believed in a providence for the individual only through his relation to the race, through law, through the order of the world, and thus only in a mediate, natural, and not miraculous providence; [It is true that the heathen philosophers also, as Plato, Socrates, the Stoics (see eg. J. Lipsius, Physiol. Stoic. 1. i. diss. xi.), believed that the divine providence extended not merely to the general, but also to the particular, – the individual; but they identified providence with Nature, law, necessity. The Stoics, who were the orthodox speculatists of heathenism, did indeed believe in miracles wrought by providence (Cie. de Nat. Deor. 1. ii. and Do Divinat. 1. i.); but their miracles had no such supra-naturalistic significance as those of Christianity, though they also appealed to the supra-naturalistic axiom: “Nihil eat quod Dens efficere non possit.”] but the Christians left out the intermediate process, and placed themselves in immediate connection with the prescient, all-embracing, universal Being; i.e., they immediately identified the individual with the universal Being,.

But the idea of deity coincides with the idea of humanity. All divine attributes, all the attributes which make God God, are attributes of the species – attributes which in the individual are limited, but the limits of which are abolished in the essence of the species, and even in its existence, in so far as it has its complete existence only in all men taken together. My knowledge, my will, is limited; but my limit is not the limit of another man, to say nothing of mankind; what is difficult to me is easy to another; what is impossible, inconceivable, to one age, is to the coming ace conceivable and possible. My life is bound to a limited time. not so the life of humanity. The history of mankind consists of nothing else than a continuous and progressive conquest of limits, which at a given time pass for the limits of humanity, and therefore for absolute insurmountable limits. But the future always unveils the fact that the alleged limits of the species were only limits of individuals. The most striking, proofs of this are presented by the history of philosophy and of physical science. It would be highly interesting and instructive to write a history of the sciences entirely from this point of view, in order to exhibit in all its vanity the presumptuous notion of the individual than he can set limits to his race. Thus the species is unlimited; the individual alone limited.

But the sense of limitation is painful, and hence the individual frees himself from it by the contemplation of the perfect Being; in this contemplation he possesses what otherwise is wanting to him. With the Christians God is nothing else than the immediate unity of species and individuality, of the universal and individual being God is the idea of the species as an individual – the idea or essence of the species, which as a species, as universal being, as the totality of all perfections, of all attributes or realities, freed from all the limits which exist in the consciousness and feeling of the individual, is at the same time again an individual, personal being. Ipse suum esse est. Essence and existence are in God identical; which means nothing else than that he is the idea, the essence of the species, conceived immediately as an existence, an individual. The highest idea on the standpoint of religion is: God does not love, he is himself love; he does not live, he is life; he is not just, but justice itself; not a person, but personality itself, the species, the idea, as immediately a concrete existence. Because of this immediate unity of the species with individuality, this concentration of all that is universal and real in one personal being, God is a deeply moving object, enrapturing to the imagination; whereas, the idea of humanity has little power over the feelings, because humanity is only an abstraction; and the reality which presents itself to us in distinction from this abstraction is the multitude of separate, limited individuals. In God, on the contrary, feeling, has immediate satisfaction, because here all is embraced in one, i.e., because here the species has an immediate existence, – is an individuality. God is love, is justice, as itself a subject; he is the perfect universal being as one being, the infinite extension of the species as an all-comprehending unity. But God is only man's intuition of his own nature; thus the Christians are distinguished from the heathens in this, that they immediately identify the individual with the species – that with them the individual has the significance of the species, the individual by himself is held to be the perfect representative of the species – that they deify the human individual, make him the absolute being.

Especially characteristic is the difference between Christianity and heathenism concerning the relation of the individual to the intelligence, to the understanding, to the nous. The Christians individualised the understanding the heathens made it a universal essence. To the heathens, the understanding, the intelligence, was the essence of man; to the Christians, it was only a part of themselves. To the heathens therefore only the intelligence, the species, to the Christians, the individual, was immortal, i.e., divine. Hence follows the further difference between heathen and Christian philosophy.

The most unequivocal expression, the characteristic symbol of this immediate identity of the species and individuality in Christianity is Christ, the real God of the Christians. Christ is the ideal of humanity become existent, the compendium of all moral and divine perfections to the exclusion of all that is negative; pure, heavenly, sinless man, the typical man, the Adam Kadmon; not regarded as the totality of the species, of mankind, but immediately as one individual, one person. Christ, i.e., the Christian, religious Christ, is therefore not the central, but the terminal point of history. The Christians expected the end of the world, the close of history. In the Bible, Christ himself, in spite of all the falsities and sophisms of our exegetists, clearly prophesies the speedy end of the world. History rests only on the distinction of the individual from the race. Where this distinction ceases ' history ceases; the very soul of history is extinct. Nothing remains to man but the contemplation and appropriation of this realised Ideal, and the spirit of proselytism, which seeks to extend the prevalence of a fixed belief, – the preaching that God has appeared, and that the end of the world is at hand.

Since the immediate identity of the species and the individual oversteps the limits of reason and Nature, it followed of course that this universal, ideal individual was declared to be a transcendent, supernatural, heavenly being. It is therefore a perversity to attempt to deduce from reason the immediate identity of the species and individual, for it is only the imagination which effects this identity, the imagination to which nothing is impossible, and which is also the creator of miracles; for the greatest of miracles is the being who, while he is an individual, is at the same time the ideal, the species, humanity in the fullness of its perfection and infinity, i.e., the Godhead. Hence it is also a perversity to adhere to the biblical or dogmatic Christ, and yet to thrust aside miracles. If the principle be retained, wherefore deny its necessary consequences?

The. total absence of the idea of the species in Christianity is especially observable in its characteristic doctrine of the universal sinfulness of men. For there lies at the foundation of this doctrine the demand that the individual shall not be an individual, a demand which again is based on the presupposition that the individual by himself is – a perfect being, is by himself the adequate presentation or existence of the species.

[It is true that in one sense the individual is the absolute – in the phraseology of Leibnitz, the mirror of the universe, of the infinite. But in so far as there are many individuals, each is only a single, and, as such, a finite mirror of the infinite. It is true also, in opposition to the abstraction of a sinless man, that each individual regarded in himself is perfect, and only by comparison imperfect, for each is what alone he can be.]

Here is entirely wanting the objective perception, the consciousness, that the thou, belongs to the perfection of the I, that men are required to constitute humanity, that only men taken together are what man should and can be. All men are sinners. Granted; but they are not all sinners in the same way; on the contrary, there exists a great and essential difference between them. One man is inclined to falsehood, another is not; he would rather give up his life than break his word or tell a lie; the third has a propensity to intoxication, the fourth to licentiousness; while the fifth, whether by favour of Nature, or from the energy of his character, exhibits none of these vices. Thus, in the moral as well as the physical and intellectual elements, men compensate for each other, so that, taken as a whole, they are as they should be, they present the perfect man.

Hence intercourse ameliorates and elevates; involuntarily and without disguise, man is different in intercourse from what he is when alone. Love especially works wonders, and the love of the sexes most of all. Man and woman are the complement of each other, and thus united they first present the species, the perfect man.

[With the Hindus, (Inst. of Menu) he alone is “a perfect man who consists of three united persons, his wife, himself, and his son. For man and wife, and father and son, are one.” The Adam of the Old Testament also is incomplete without woman; he feels his need of her. But the Adam of the New Testament, the Christian, heavenly Adam, the Adam who is constituted with a view to the destruction of this world, has no longer any sexual impulses or functions.]

Without species, love is inconceivable. Love is nothing else than the self-consciousness of the species as evolved within the difference of sex. In love, the reality of the species, which otherwise is only a thing of reason, an object of mere thought, becomes a matter of feeling a truth of feeling; for in love, man declares himself unsatisfied in his individuality taken by itself, he postulates the existence of another as a need of the heart; he reckons another as part of his own being; he declares the life which he has through love to be the truly human life, corresponding to the idea of man, i.e., of the species. The individual is defective, imperfect, weak, needy; but love is strong, perfect, contented, free from wants, self-sufficing, infinite; because in it the self-consciousness of the individuality is the mysterious self-consciousness of the perfection of the race. But this result of love is produced by friendship also, at least where it is intense, where it is a religion as it was with the ancients. Friends compensate for each other; friendship is a mean,. of virtue, and more: it is itself virtue, dependent however on participation. Friendship can only exist between the virtuous, as the ancients said. But it cannot be based on perfect similarity; on the contrary, it requires diversity, for friendship rests on a desire for self-completion. One friend obtains through the other what he does not himself possess. The virtues of the one atone for the failings of the other.

Friend justifies friend before God. However faulty a man may be, it is a proof that there is a germ of good in him if he has worthy men for his friends. If I cannot be myself perfect, I yet at least love virtue, perfection in others. If therefore I am called to account for any sins, weaknesses, and faults, I interpose as advocates, as mediators, the virtues of my friend. How barbarous, how unreasonable would it be to condemn me for sins which I doubtless have committed, but which I have myself condemned in loving my friends. who are free from these sins!

But if friendship and love, which themselves are only subjective realisations of the species, make out of singly imperfect beings an at least relatively perfect whole, how much more do the sins and failings of individuals vanish in the species itself, which has its adequate existence only in the sum total of mankind, and is therefore only an object of reason! Hence the lamentation over sin is found only where the human individual regards himself in his individuality as a perfect, complete being not needing others for the realisation of the species, of the perfect man; where instead of the consciousness of the species has been substituted the exclusive self-consciousness of the individual; where the individual does not recognise himself as a part of mankind, but identifies himself with the species, and for this reason makes his own sins, limits and weaknesses, the sins, limits, and weaknesses of mankind in general. Nevertheless man cannot lose the consciousness of the species, for his selfconsciousness is essentially united to his consciousness of another than himself. Where therefore the species is not an object to him as. a species, it will be an object to him as God. He supplies the absence of the idea of the species by the idea of God, as the being, who is free from the limits and wants which oppress the individual, and, in his opinion (since he identifies the species with the individual), the species itself. But this perfect being, free from the limits of the individual, is nothing else than the species, which reveals the infinitude of its nature in this, that it is realised in infinitely numerous and various individuals. If all men were absolutely alike, there would then certainly be no distinction between the race and the individual. But in that case the existence of many men would be a pure superfluity; a single man would have achieved the ends of the species.

In the one who enjoyed the happiness of existence all would have had their complete substitute.

Doubtless the essence of man is one, but this essence is infinite; its real existence is therefore an infinite, reciprocally compensating variety, which reveals the riches of this essence. Unity in essence is multiplicity in existence. Between me and another human being, – and this other is the representative of the species, even though he is only one, for he supplies to me the want of many others, has for me a universal significance, is the deputy of mankind, in whose name he speaks to me, an isolated individual, so that, when united only with one, I have a participated, a human life; – between me and another human being there is an essential, qualitative distinction. The other is my thou, – the relation being reciprocal, – my alter. eqo, man objective to me, the revelation of my own nature, the eye seeing itself. In another I first have the consciousness of humanity; through him I first learn, I first feel, that I am a man: in my love for him it is first clear to me that he belongs to me and I to him, that we two cannot be without each other, that only community constitutes humanity. But morally, also, there is a qualitative, critical distinction between the I and thou. My fellow-man is my objective conscience; he makes my failings a reproach to me; even when he does not expressly mention them, he is my personified feeling of shame. The consciousness of the moral law, of right, of propriety, of truth itself, is indissolubly united with my consciousness of another than myself. That is true in which another agrees with me, – agreement is the first criterion of truth; but only because the species is the ultimate measure of truth. That which I think only according to the standard of my individuality is not binding on another; it can be conceived otherwise; it is an accidental,. merely subjective view. But that which I think according to the standard of the species, I think as man in general only can think, and consequently as every individual must think if he thinks normally, in accordance with law, and therefore truly. That is true which agrees with the nature of the species, that is false which contradicts it. There is no other rule of truth. But my fellow-man is to me the representative of the species, the substitute of the rest, nay, his judgment may be of more authority with me than the judgment of the innumerable multitude. Let the fanatic make disciples as the sand on the sea-shore; the sand is still sand; mine be the pearl – a judicious friend. The agreement of others is therefore my criterion of the normalness, the universality, the truth of my thoughts. I cannot so abstract myself from myself as to judge myself with perfect freedom and disinterestedness; but another has an impartial judgment; through him I correct, complete, extend my own judgment, my own taste, my own knowledge. In short, there is a qualitative, critical difference between men. But Christianity extinguishes this qualitative distinction; it sets the same stamp on all men alike, and regards them as one and the same individual, because it knows no distinction between the species and the individual: it has one and the same means of salvation for all men, it sees one and the same original sin in all.

Because Christianity thus, from exaggerated subjectivity, knows nothing of the species, in which alone lies the redemption, the justification, the reconciliation and cure of the sins and deficiencies of the individual, it needed a supernatural and peculiar, nay, a personal, subjective aid in order to overcome sin. If I alone am the species, if no other, that is, no qualitatively different men exist, or, which is the same thing if there is no distinction between me and others, if we are all perfectly alike, if my sins are not neutralised by the opposite qualities of other men: then assuredly my sin is a blot of shame which cries up to Heaven; a revolting horror which can be exterminated only by extraordinary, superhuman, miraculous means. Happily, however, there is a natural reconciliation. My fellow-man is per se the mediator between me and the sacred idea of the species. Homo homini – Deus est. My sin is made to shrink within its limits is thrust back into its nothingness, by the fact that it is only mine, and not that of my fellows.

Ulf
03-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Something that has always stuck with me by DH Lawrence.

“This is what I believe: That I am I. That my soul is a dark forest. That my known self will never be more than a little clearing in the forest. That gods, strange gods, come forth from the forest into the clearing of my known self, and then go back. That I must have the courage to let them come and go. That I will never let mankind put anything over me, but that I will try always to recognize and submit to the gods in me and the gods in other men and women. There is my creed.”

lei.talk
03-30-2009, 05:29 AM
...that was your second mistake: men like you never realize
I can rule you - collectively,
because I can master you - individually.
- General Gurko Lanen (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS281US281&q=%22gurko+lanen%22)(the son of a stone-mason)

Baron Samedi
03-30-2009, 05:56 AM
My signature.

Her words and actions will forever echo in time.....

lei.talk
03-30-2009, 08:23 AM
When Cortez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hern%C3%A1n_Cort%C3%A9s)’s men came over the mountain pass and saw the Valley of Mexico spread out before them, with the great painted palaces and pyramid-temples, they exclaimed in wonder.

What they said specifically was:

"This is like something out of Amadis of Gaul (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS281US281&q=%22Amadis+of+Gaul%22) !"

Which was a popular fiction of the time, with knights and damsels and wicked sorcerors and exotic kingdoms.they named california after a queen in that book

much like orellana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_de_Orellana) naming that river
after the tall white warrior-women
that led the battles against his journey down-stream.
As Orellana steered his ships towards the middle of the river, he questioned an Indian prisoner about the Amazon attackers. The Indian admitted he knew about the women because he took them tribute on his chieftain's behalf. His chieftain was called Couvnco and his land was a vassal state of the Amazons, who lived some seven days' journey inland. He also said the women were not married. Orellana wanted to know more. At last, they were nearing El Dorado. Through a language of general Indian words and signs, the prisoner explained all he knew of the land of the Amazons.

“The women were very numerous and dwelled in seventy villages,” recorded Fray Gaspar. “Their houses were built of stone and provided with doors. The roads from one village to another were fenced on both sides and guarded at regular intervals so no one could approach without paying toll.”

“But who is the father of these women’s children?” asked Orellana.

“The women make war against a great lord nearby,” replied the Indian, “and bring back warriors as captives and live with them in their villages. When a woman becomes pregnant, the prisoners are sent back to their land. When a son is born, he is killed and his body sent to the father. When a daughter is born, she is cared for and taught the ways of war.”

“Who is the lord of these women?”

“They are subject to a female chieftain called Conori,” said the Indian. “The Amazons possess great wealth in silver and gold. The household utensils of the most important Amazon women are made of precious metals. They have five great houses or temples dedicated to the sun, containing idols of gold and silver representing the figures of women. Their clothing is made of fine llama wool and it covers their bodies from breast to knee and is sometimes fixed by buttons, sometimes by laces. They have long hair and wear gold crowns two inches in width adorned with coloured designs.”

All these details Fray Gasper recorded. It was the high point of Orellana’s expedition and the reason why the mighty river was so named.

- Tim Newark (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS281US281&q=%22Women+Warlords%22+%22Tim+Newark+%22)greed does not suffice,
but, dreams...

lei.talk
04-23-2009, 03:44 PM
The primal savage or ape
merely looks about his native forest to find a mate;

the exalted Aryan should lift his eyes
to the worlds of space and consider his relation to infinity!
- H. P. Lovecraft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft#Civilization_under_threat)

Lyfing
04-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Sometimes I read this over and over and over again..

Among those shadowy Edda matters, amid all that fantastic congeries of assertions, and traditions, in their musical Mythologies, the main practical belief a man could have was probably not much more than this: of the Valkyrs and the Hall of Odin; of an inflexible Destiny; and that the one thing needful for a man was to be brave. The Valkyrs are Choosers of the Slain: a Destiny inexorable, which it is useless trying to bend or soften, has appointed who is to be slain; this was a fundamental point for the Norse believer;—as indeed it is for all earnest men everywhere, for a Mahomet, a Luther, for a Napoleon too. It lies at the basis this for every such man; it is the woof out of which his whole system of thought is woven. The Valkyrs; and then that these Choosers lead the brave to a heavenly Hall of Odin; only the base and slavish being thrust elsewhither, into the realms of Hela the Death-goddess: I take this to have been the soul of the whole Norse Belief. They understood in their heart that it was indispensable to be brave; that Odin would have no favor for them, but despise and thrust them out, if they were not brave. Consider too whether there is not something in this! It is an everlasting duty, valid in our day as in that, the duty of being brave. Valor is still value. The first duty for a man is still that of subduing Fear. We must get rid of Fear; we cannot act at all till then. A man's acts are slavish, not true but specious; his very thoughts are false, he thinks too as a slave and coward, till he have got Fear under his feet. Odin's creed, if we disentangle the real kernel of it, is true to this hour. A man shall and must be valiant; he must march forward, and quit himself like a man,—trusting imperturbably in the appointment and choice of the upper Powers; and, on the whole, not fear at all. Now and always, the completeness of his victory over Fear will determine how much of a man he is.

It is doubtless very savage that kind of valor of the old Northmen. Snorro tells us they thought it a shame and misery not to die in battle; and if natural death seemed to be coming on, they would cut wounds in their flesh, that Odin might receive them as warriors slain. Old kings, about to die, had their body laid into a ship; the ship sent forth, with sails set and slow fire burning it; that, once out at sea, it might blaze up in flame, and in such manner bury worthily the old hero, at once in the sky and in the ocean! Wild bloody valor; yet valor of its kind; better, I say, than none. In the old Sea-kings too, what an indomitable rugged energy! Silent, with closed lips, as I fancy them, unconscious that they were specially brave; defying the wild ocean with its monsters, and all men and things;—progenitors of our own Blakes and Nelsons! No Homer sang these Norse Sea-kings; but Agamemnon's was a small audacity, and of small fruit in the world, to some of them;—to Hrolf's of Normandy, for instance! Hrolf, or Rollo Duke of Normandy, the wild Sea-king, has a share in governing England at this hour.

Nor was it altogether nothing, even that wild sea-roving and battling, through so many generations. It needed to be ascertained which was the strongest kind of men; who were to be ruler over whom. Among the Northland Sovereigns, too, I find some who got the title Wood-cutter; Forest-felling Kings. Much lies in that. I suppose at bottom many of them were forest-fellers as well as fighters, though the Skalds talk mainly of the latter,—misleading certain critics not a little; for no nation of men could ever live by fighting alone; there could not produce enough come out of that! I suppose the right good fighter was oftenest also the right good forest-feller,—the right good improver, discerner, doer and worker in every kind; for true valor, different enough from ferocity, is the basis of all. A more legitimate kind of valor that; showing itself against the untamed Forests and dark brute Powers of Nature, to conquer Nature for us. In the same direction have not we their descendants since carried it far? May such valor last forever with us!

That the man Odin, speaking with a Hero's voice and heart, as with an impressiveness out of Heaven, told his People the infinite importance of Valor, how man thereby became a god; and that his People, feeling a response to it in their own hearts, believed this message of his, and thought it a message out of Heaven, and him a Divinity for telling it them: this seems to me the primary seed-grain of the Norse Religion, from which all manner of mythologies, symbolic practices, speculations, allegories, songs and sagas would naturally grow. Grow,—how strangely! I called it a small light shining and shaping in the huge vortex of Norse darkness. Yet the darkness itself was alive; consider that. It was the eager inarticulate uninstructed Mind of the whole Norse People, longing only to become articulate, to go on articulating ever farther! The living doctrine grows, grows;—like a Banyan-tree; the first seed is the essential thing: any branch strikes itself down into the earth, becomes a new root; and so, in endless complexity, we have a whole wood, a whole jungle, one seed the parent of it all. Was not the whole Norse Religion, accordingly, in some sense, what we called "the enormous shadow of this man's likeness"? Critics trace some affinity in some Norse mythuses, of the Creation and such like, with those of the Hindoos. The Cow Adumbla, "licking the rime from the rocks," has a kind of Hindoo look. A Hindoo Cow, transported into frosty countries. Probably enough; indeed we may say undoubtedly, these things will have a kindred with the remotest lands, with the earliest times. Thought does not die, but only is changed. The first man that began to think in this Planet of ours, he was the beginner of all. And then the second man, and the third man;—nay, every true Thinker to this hour is a kind of Odin, teaches men his way of thought, spreads a shadow of his own likeness over sections of the History of the World.

ON HEROES, HERO-WORSHIP, AND THE HEROIC IN HISTORY

Later,
-Lyfing

Baron Samedi
04-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Anything by David Lane.

lol

No, still really have found no better of a quote than the on in my sig.

I mean, the voices at night tell me some pretty inspiring shit, but hey....

lei.talk
05-10-2009, 03:35 PM
I’m whiter than Hitler.
I’ve got blonde hair and blue eyes
and Hitler had brown hair and brown eyes.

At school I’d be the one beating up Hitler
for being a wog.
- John Safran (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS281US281&q=%22John+Safran%22)

Äike
05-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Hitler had blue eyes:coffee:

Zyklop
05-28-2009, 09:18 PM
"Ha, wo ist er denn, dieser lebendige Gott?
Ich habe, den Himmel entlang, den Gang der Gestirne, ich habe die grausame Natur, ich habe die grausamere Geschichte der Menschen durchforscht und keinen Gott gefunden als das Recht des Stärkeren, die Notwendigkeit, die furchtbar erhabene Göttin, deren Anblick versteinert wie der der Meduse.
Du birgst dich, Knabe, in die Mantelfalten deines geträumten Gottes, du steckst dein Haupt in seinen Vaterschoß, starrt dich des Schicksals Walten mit den Gorgonenblicken an. Wohl, es sei: aber schilt nicht den Mann, der, den Blick erwidernd, spricht: ‹Es ist kein Gott› und würd' er drob zu Stein.
Ja, das Lächeln und das Weinen sind zwei holde Genüsse. Prometheus aber hat nicht gelächelt, als ihm Pandora die betörende Büchse bot. Aber er hat auch nicht geweint, als ihm Gewalt und Kraft die Glieder an die Felsen schmiedeten. Und an den Geier, der ihm das Herz zerfleischt - nun, an den Geier - hat er sich gewöhnt. Und eher ermüdete das Schicksal, den Titanen zu quälen, als daß sich der Titane gebeugt."

from "Ein Kampf um Rom" bei Felix Dahn.

Translation:

"Ha! Where is this living god?
I have searched the sky, the way of the stars. I have searched cruel nature, the more cruel history of man, and found no god except for the right of the strongest, the necessary, and the dreadfully sublime goddess whose gaze petrifies like that of Medusa. You are hiding in the mantle-folds of your imagined god. Burying your head in his fatherly lap when fate is staring at you with its gorgon´s gaze. Well, it may be. But don´t berate the man who, returning the gaze, speaks: "There is no god!" Even if he may become a stone henceforth.
Yes, smiling and crying are two graceful pleasures. But Prometheus didn´t smile when Pandora offered the beguiling box. Neither did he cry when force and strength forged his limbs to the rocks. And to the vulture that is rending his heart? Well, to the vulture he got accustomed. And fate grew tired of torturing the Titan before the Titan was tempted to give in."

Ulex
05-28-2009, 09:53 PM
"You are welcome to your intellectual pastimes and books and art and newspapers; welcome, too, to your bars and your whisky that only makes me ill. Here am I in the forest, quite content."

Knut Hamsun

Phlegethon
05-28-2009, 10:26 PM
German Students’ War Letters

Edited by Philipp Witkop
Translated by A.F. Wedd

HERBERT WEISSER, Student of Architecture, Technical High School, Charlottenburg
Born May 6th, 1894, at Lissa. Killed May 25th, 1915, before Ypres.
5th Day of Mobilization.

Can you believe that now I sometimes cannot get away from the thought that I shall be killed? Then come quite close to me! I lay my hand upon your curly head and speak to you. Then I feel as if God-given strength went out from me and as if all my wishes for you must be realized. Come, let me look deep into your eyes! I can see something burning there, but not for me; that is not necessary, really not. That fire must develop into a constant steady flame, and that flame shall guide your children along the road that we have conquered together. . . .

Do you know, I have always longed to be to the German people a true German Master-Builder; I have always fought uncompromisingly against every form of sham, both in actual building and also in all that concerns our special German style. I wished to help to restore the art of German architecture such as it was in the time of the Ottos, and the brickmaking-industry of the Mark.

I had hoped too to give to the German Fatherland a few boys and girls who would not be forced to waste their gifts in struggling vainly against their own instincts, as you and I have done, or in fighting against the overwhelming false prejudices of their time.

I stroke your hair gently, gently as one strokes the hair of the girl one loves, and I beg you not to forget all this; to remember all your life what we have been through together and to see that our efforts bear fruit. … I wish, I most heartily wish, that your future may be as full of sunshine as you yourself can picture it; that you may some day have a son, with blue far-seeing eyes, firmly fixed on a distant goal, who will grow tall and slim, with a noble brow and finely-cut nostrils—can you guess where he will get all that from? And then, you know, it is not impossible that he may become an architect. Then you will tell him all about our German cathedrals and show him what real German master-builders have created; how German architecture demonstrates an appreciation of what is grand and at the time simple; of all that is honest, logical and strong; how it sends rays of light all over the world and how these rays are reflected back into the heavens in aspirations after the ideal. And then show him that man's whole interior life can also be full of beauty and sunshine if, instead of suppressing his own gifts, he perfects and ennobles them.

See, those are the things that I am thinking about before I go to the Front. And I am convinced that I could accomplish far more for the Fatherland along the lines in which I have already begun and later on could produce much as the result of what I have absorbed during my youth. But we must not think of that now. Our present task is to defend all that German culture has built up through a thousand year of work, in toil and sweat and blood. But one would be glad to leave some trace behind when one disappears from this world. You are the one who, during all our professional studies and otherwise in life, has stood closest to me and on my personality has had most influence, even if you were not perhaps the one whom I loved best - that you know— and if I am killed you must carry on my life with your own. We can no longer believe in a life beyond the grave, but we can survive in our works, which are chiefly preserved in our friends … perhaps you will find a life's companion who will help you in this.

6th Day of Mobilization.

My thoughts give me no peace, they carry me again and again to you. But you must not imagine because I say that, that I am sitting here with my knees quaking at the thought of French or Russian bullets. On the contrary, I am not in the least afraid of bullets, but I am filled with bitterness and sorrow because so much youth and latent talent must be sacrificed by people simply because they cannot rise above their own contemptible envy and ill-will. It is a just retribution for not having conquered these weaknesses in themselves. But there are also people who have no such petty feelings, who have conquered them, and who could and so gladly would help others to do the same — they also are sacrificed. . . .

And then I am thinking about having to leave a widowed mother here. I have talked much with her lately about all these things, and I wish so much that you could make friends with her for my sake. My mother brought me up herself and has watched over me for twenty years. Besides, on account of her greater age and experience, she would be able to advise you in many ways, and you would be a joy to her as you are to me. Perhaps you could be a little comfort to her too if anything bad happens to me. All that could not be accomplished by letters — you would have to come and spend some time here, and you may be sure that that would be a great pleasure to my mother. She already guesses that we have been a great deal to one another, so she would give you a cordial welcome. And if you are fond of me, you would be fond of her, for although I have accomplished much by myself, still everything, or at any rate all my ideals, had their origin in her.

September 27th, 1914.

This longing for productivity after having been for twenty years merely receptive, makes it hard for me to think that my life is no longer my own. Whatever I may do in the war cannot be called production. . . . But, on the other hand, one cannot stand by and see the German people and all that they have created during hundreds of years destroyed by other nations. The only lightning-conductor is burning hatred and contempt for those few men — if they can still possibly be described by that name - who have brought the war about. Those people are lucky who can hold the enemy's whole nation responsible and believe that they are aiming their rifles at the actual culprits. I personally cannot feel any hatred against individual Frenchmen -- on the contrary, I regret every young life which will be cut off through my instrumentality. Also I cannot rejoice unreservedly in our victories; but do you know what I do thoroughly and boundlessly rejoice in? In the German character, which now has an opportunity of exhibiting itself in shining splendour; in the faultless functioning of the gigantic machine to which each individual can and does contribute; in the discipline shown by our troops in their treatment of the inhabitants of enemy country; in the eagerness with which each one works for the general good; and in the firm, unshakable sense of justice which is displayed on the German side on every occasion. The great strength of our noble people does not lie in wielding the sword, but in its sense of the high responsibility making the best use of its gifts, and in its inner worth as the people of culture. Other nations can tear down and destroy in war, but we understand, better than any other, how to build up, and of this I have been certain only since the beginning of the war. Therefore I do not trouble much as to whether the war has a positive or negative end for us.

March 7th, 1915.

. . . Soon after our meeting at M. station, you wrote me a postcard in which you said that you tried to remove my ' pessimistic view ' of the war. At the end you added that you had perhaps misunderstood the reason of my low spirits. And really —I will make an attempt to explain at least one thing: in 1870 the soldiers went into battle saying to themselves : 'If we don't get home we get heaven' (I have to express myself briefly). Very few take that view now; a great many don't consider the question at all; others do, and then it depends on what sort of a religion they have worked out for themselves whether it is easier or harder for them to give up their young lives. Many abandon all claim on a future life after death — I am too young for that, and I did hope to survive in what I had created, and above all in the influence which I had exercised on the younger generation, in whom I should see realized all the results of my experience. Some men say : ' I am married and the father of five children, therefore I make a particularly great sacrifice for the Fatherland.' In their place I should say : ' Thank God that I have a wife who has loved me and whom I have loved, and still more that I have five children who will continue to develop in accordance with my ideas and will justify my existence. Otherwise my position would have been merely receptive and would only have influenced my own and perhaps the previous generation — even the former very imperfectly.' That was what depressed me, personally.

Then came the objective view: our nation was, as I believe, on the right road towards self-regeneration from within, though the powers which were to bring about this regeneration were very limited. Now comes the war, tears everything out of the process of being and developing, and deprives us of just what we most needed — the youth of the present generation, who were growing up with progressive ideas.

I also imagined beforehand, what I now find abundantly confirmed: that the notions which our parents, our books and our history lessons had given us of war are either entirely false, or at least incomplete and therefore misleading. We were given to understand that heroic deeds were of the essence and the most frequent result of war. But is that so? How many such actions are in any case simply brought about by the impulse of the moment, perhaps by the bloodthirstiness and unjust hatred which a nation's political views spread among all its members and for which they have to suffer? Of course there are many quiet, unobserved acts of heroism, but are these really so much rarer in time of peace? And what of the drunkenness, the brutality both in the aesthetic and ethical sense; the spiritual and physical slothfulness, when does one ever hear of them in accounts of war? And the slack ideas with regard to morality and marriage, what about them? All this was going through my mind at that time. It was no slack disinclination that I felt, but a profound sadness which nevertheless was just as productive of determined action as the enthusiasm of other (better?) men.

April 6th, 1915.

Yesterday I was in the trenches. There I have at last been able to see what war is really like. The whole business is enacted on one narrow, though certainly endless, strip of ground, which seems much, much too narrow for its gigantic significance. And this strip of ground bears grass, many coloured flowers, trees, and pretty little houses. The ground rises and falls gently, the green fields are intersected by hedges and streams. But do you know what else is in these meadows ? The Marburg Jägers students and professors, the hope and impetus towards progress of the German people. One beside the other they lie, stretched out upon the grass.

Yes - among them I saw one quite young fellow right in front, perhaps the foremost in the attack. Forgetting everything around him he dashed forward, charging amid a hail of bullets : ' One more spring and I shall be in the enemy trench !' But he was not able to complete the thought, for three yards from the trench he fell, and perhaps had time to see that it was all in vain, that the attack had failed; perhaps he lived for another day and slowly died of hunger, because there, in ' no-man's-land ', nobody could come to his assistance.

You ask if I am happy? I can't honestly answer that I am. But I believe that in three to five years I shall be able to realize the grandeur of this time and then I shall be glad about it. My imagination is overpowered at present, almost like that of a child to whom its nurse is telling gruesome fairy-tales.

That does not of course prevent me in any way from doing my duty, and even doing it with a kind of enjoyment - as, for instance, yesterday when, during an attack from our side, I was close behind the trench mending the telephone-wire, under gun- and rifle-fire, with two others. We were without any means of communicating with our troops, and did not know how the battle was going and whether we might not at any moment be cut off by the French, unarmed! And when, in a hail of bullets, one has to climb up into a tree instead of hiding under-ground, then one feels that one is young, laughs a little in one's sleeve, and almost fancies oneself invulnerable!

Those are fine moments and I have often experienced them just lately. You have of course read in the newspapers about our advance here. We are just in the most frantic corner and are the first who have broken through, away from that tedious sticking in one position. But then one sees the long, long processions of wounded; the dead bodies on the battle-fields; one sees the spiritual and moral effects of war; the burning villages and everything; so it is easier for you at home to go on feeling happy than for us.

Flanders, May, 1915. [On Hearing of the death of a comrade.]

Dear mother,—
Everybody who goes to the front is prepared for a lonely death. There is nothing so very horrible in that. Death is no longer horrible when it comes close to one. The only thing that makes it hard to die is the knowledge that one's relations are tormenting themselves by imagining the most ghastly situations, of which the one that seems to them the worst is in reality the most splendid, even though it may be the last hour of our life. What is there so very dreadful in lying alone on the field of battle and knowing that the end is near? It is not dreadful at all. One can feel calm and peaceful as one has never been since childhood. In thinking of the death of a son, you should regard it as calmly and without horrible details as the son himself will. By not doing so, you pour a drop of bitterness into the last hour of his life.

Lulletje Rozewater
05-29-2009, 06:01 AM
Watch your thoughts,they become words.
Watch your words,they become actions.
Watch your actions,they become habits.
Watch your habits,they become your character.
Watch your character,it becomes your destiny.
Watch your destiny,it becomes hell on earth.

Never forget
Never forgive
Never apologize

HawkR
05-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Behind the clouds, the heaven is allways blue, behind there again, eternal darkness...

Svarog
05-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Cowabunga!

Michelangelo

Sally
05-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Again and Again

Again and again, however we know the landscape of love
and the little churchyard there, with its sorrowing names,
and the frighteningly silent abyss into which the others
fall: again and again the two of us walk out together
under the ancient trees, lie down again and again
among the flowers, face to face with the sky.

-Rainer Maria Rilke

You, You Only, Exist

You, you only, exist.
We pass away, till at last,
our passing is so immense
that you arise: beautiful moment,
in all your suddenness,
arising in love, or enchanted
in the contraction of work.

To you I belong, however time may
wear me away. From you to you
I go commanded. In between
the garland is hanging in chance; but if you
take it up and up and up: look:
all becomes festival!

-Rainer Maria Rilke

lei.talk
06-06-2009, 12:47 PM
’Tis all a Checker-board of Nights and Days
Where Destiny with Men for Pieces plays:
Hither and thither moves, and mates, and slays,
And one by one back in the Closet lays.

~ عمر خیام (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khayy%C3%A1m) ~

Lulletje Rozewater
06-06-2009, 02:16 PM
This one I love for lovers and friends

Now let us play hide and seek. Should you hide in my heart it would not be difficult to find you.
But should you hide behind your own shell,then it would be useless for anyone to seek you

Beorn
06-07-2009, 04:25 PM
C.S. Lewis Quotes – God

My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust? - Mere Christianity

Agent Smith - On Humans.

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had, during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure." - The Matrix Trilogy

anonymaus
06-07-2009, 05:50 PM
The risk of a wrong decision is preferable to the terror of indecision

-Maimonides

Birka
06-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Eat a Peach For Peace.

Duane Allman

Eldritch
06-12-2009, 09:55 PM
"They ain't but four things that can destroy the world: women, whiskey, money and niggers"

"The hermit" in Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian.

Lars
06-12-2009, 10:03 PM
If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.
- Marcus Aurelius

Crose
06-13-2009, 03:46 AM
"None are more helplessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they're free."

"Of course people don't want war. Why should a poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best thing he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece?"

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."

"War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."
At least that's what this world is turning towards.

Lulletje Rozewater
06-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Desire is half of life
Indifference is half of death

Rudy
06-22-2009, 03:55 AM
"The Government should create, issue, and circulate all the currency and credit needed to satisfy the spending power of the Government and the buying power of consumers... The privilege of creating and issuing money is not only the supreme prerogative of Government, but it is the Government's greatest creative opportunity... By the adoption of these principles, the long-felt want for a uniform medium will be satisfied. The taxpayers will be saved immense sums of interest. The financing of all public enterprises, and the conduct of the Treasury will become matters of practical administration. Money will cease to be master and become the servant of humanity."

"The money power preys upon the nation in times of peace and conspires against it in times of adversity. It is more despotic than monarchy, more insolent than autocracy, more selfish than bureaucracy. I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the republic is destroyed."
Abraham Lincoln

"Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce... and when you realize that the entire system is very easily controlled, one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you will not have to be told how periods of inflation and depression originate."
President James Garfield

"If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill. The element that makes the bond good, makes the bill good, also... It is absurd to say that our country can issue $30 million in bonds and not $30 million in currency. Both are promises to pay, but one promise fattens the userers and the other helps the people."
Thomas Edison, noting that debt based money is unnecessary.

"We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled governments in the civilized world - no longer a government of free opinion, no longer a government by ... a vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men.
President Wilson, having second thoughts about his passage of the Federal Reserve.

"I have unwittingly ruined my government."

http://www.mailstar.net/money-masters.html

lei.talk
06-22-2009, 01:05 PM
John Adams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams) and Alexander Hamilton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Hamilton) observed
that a man who is dependent for his subsistence
on the arbitrary will of another man

is not economically free
and so should not be admitted to citizenship

because he cannot use the political liberty
which belongs to that status.
- Mortimer Adler (http://www.kelsoinstitute.org/pdf/cm-entire.pdf)

Rudy
06-28-2009, 06:51 PM
I Pledge Allegiance to the Flags
Of the United States and Israel
And to the Zionists for which we wage War
Two Nations Indivisible.
And with Liberty, Justice and Massive Wealth,
For Gods Chosenites Only!
-McGanhan Skjellyfetti

Sally
06-28-2009, 07:41 PM
There is a willow grows aslant the brook,
That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream;
There with fantastic garlands did she come.
Of crow-flowers, nettles, daisies, and long purples.
There on the pendant boughs her coronet weeds
Clambering to hang an envious sliver broke.
When down the weedy trophies and herself
Fell in the weeping brook.

~ William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)

Finsterer Streiter
07-02-2009, 07:46 AM
"I have big lungs!" by Inese

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=30766#post30766

I had to spit my morning coffee out after reading the unintensional ambiguity. :pound: Soz Inese but the remark made my day.

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PMO1680.jpg
...big lungs...they´re everywhere!

lei.talk
07-04-2009, 10:22 AM
thanks to the man from kempen (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/member.php?u=415)
They had a choice, all of them.
They could have followed in the footsteps of good men like my father or President Truman.
Decent men who believed in a day's work for a day's pay.

Instead they followed the droppings of lechers and communists
and didn't realize that the trail led over a precipice until it was too late.

Don't tell me they didn't have a choice.

Now the whole world stands on the brink, staring down into bloody hell,
all those liberals and intellectuals and smooth talkers...
and all of a sudden nobody can think of anything to say.Walter Joseph Kovacs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach_(comics)#Childhood)

Cato
07-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Robert E. Howard:

"Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and in the years of the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars -- Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."

An abbreviated version, narrated by Mako from the opening of the first Conan film:

"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis, and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of. And unto this, Conan, destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZY2mRG5mzg

Germanicus
07-04-2009, 10:29 PM
First rule of Karate for self defence, second rule of karate learn rule number one.

Karate Kid, the movie, Mr Miagi.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n449/ruffusruffcut/karatekid.jpg

Rudy
08-01-2009, 03:29 AM
"Experience has shown that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." -Thomas Jefferson
http://newsfromthewest.blogspot.com/2007/08/famous-quotes-from-history.html

Jägerstaffel
08-01-2009, 03:41 AM
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

- Lovecraft

Murphy
08-18-2009, 08:45 PM
"Reading Dawkins on religion is like reading Ray Comfort on evolution." - Unkown.

Ulf
08-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Aphorism 29

It is the business of the very few to be independent; it is a privilege of the strong. And whoever attempts it, even with the best right, but without being obliged to do so, proves that he is probably not only strong, but also daring beyond measure. He enters into a labyrinth, he multiplies a thousandfold the dangers which life in itself already brings with it; not the least of which is that no one can see how and where he loses his way, becomes isolated, and is torn piecemeal by some minotaur of conscience. Supposing such a one comes to grief, it is so far from the comprehension of men that they neither feel it, nor sympathize with it. And he cannot any longer go back! He cannot even go back again to the sympathy of men!

Aphorism 287

It is some basic certainty which the noble soul has about itself, something which does not allow itself to be sought out or found or perhaps even to be lost. The noble soul has reverence for itself.

FWN, Beyond Good and Evil

Rudy
08-24-2009, 05:49 PM
"A criminal is a person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."-- Howard Scott

Murphy
08-24-2009, 05:55 PM
"Let no man write my epitaph; for as no man who knows my motives dares not vindicate them, let no prejudice or ignorance asperse them... When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth, then, and not till then, let my epitaph be written."- Robert Emmet

"We bleed that the nation may live. I die that the nation may live. Damn your concessions England, we want our country." - Seán Mac Diarmada

"Ireland that has wronged no man, that has injured no land, that has sought no dominion over others. Ireland is treated today among other nations of the world as if she was a convicted criminal. If it be treason to fight against such an unnatural fate as this, then I am proud to be a rebel and shall cling to my rebellion with the last drop of my blood." - Roger Casement

“You cannot conquer Ireland. You cannot extinguish the Irish passion for freedom. If our deed has not been sufficient to win freedom, then our children will win by a better deed.” - Pádraig Pearse.

"The Jews came to Limerick apparently the most miserable tribe imaginable, but they have enriched themselves, their rags have been exchanged for silk. They have wormed their way into every form of business ....You are allowing yourselves to be slaves of Jewish users. 20 years ago and less Jews were known only by name and evil repute here in Limerick. They were sucking the blood of other nations, but those nations rose up and turned them out and then came to our here to fasten themselves on us like leaches and to draw our blood." - (part of a speech by Fr. Creagh 1904 )

"No thoughtful Irishman or Irishwoman can view without apprehension the continuous influx of Jews into Ireland. Strange people alien to us in thought, alien to us in sympathy who come to live among us but never become one of us." - Arthur Griffith

Regards,
Eóin.

lei.talk
10-07-2009, 12:39 PM
harsh - but, true - words from Anne Bonny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Bonny)

Had you fought like a man,
you need not have been hanged like a dog!

to John Rackham (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_Jack)

Treffie
10-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Don't know how many of these were actually quoted, but anyway.

It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book.
-- Ronald Reagan

A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar.
-- H. L. Mencken

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidise it.
-- Ronald Reagan

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
-- P. J. ORourke

A day without laughter is a day wasted.
-- Charlie Chaplin

In politics, if you want anything said ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman.
-- Margaret Thatcher

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman

He must be the only man alive who can eat an apple through a tennis racket.
-- Gary Lineker (during the 2002 World Cup, on Ronaldo)

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.
-- Spike Milligan

Cato
10-07-2009, 02:03 PM
"What is at a peak is certain to decline. He who shows his hand will surely be defeated. He who can prevail in battle by taking advantage of his enemy's doubts is invincible."

Cao Cao (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cao_Cao)

Murphy
10-13-2009, 01:55 AM
"Patriarchy is a woman's best friend." - Óttar

lei.talk
10-13-2009, 08:18 AM
A man who’s been the indisputable favorite of his mother
goes through life with the feeling of a conqueror.

- Sigismund Schlomo Freud (http://www.jasoncowley.net/essays/E20021001_Gr.html)

Ulf
10-15-2009, 05:43 AM
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."

Charles James Napier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_James_Napier)

Smaland
10-15-2009, 07:16 AM
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Lulletje Rozewater
10-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Everything is intelligent in its own way--Pythagoras

I am the keeper of the zoo: I say yes and no:
I sing and kill and work: I am a pal of the world:I come from the human wilderness. ---Carl Sandberg

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution--Theodosius Dobzhansky

SuuT
10-15-2009, 12:06 PM
(How's this for ego: I'm about to quote myself. But I am me, so.. eat it.)

Me:"...I swear, some of you dumb fuckers think that it's going to be the man with the best jujitsu who is going protect you if or when the proverbial shit hits the fan."

Other: "Of course it is (lols), who do you think it's going to be? The best fucking talker?"

Me:"You want to know who?"

Other: "I'm all ears."

Me: "Then I'll tell you. It's going to be the man who can hack another to bits, stick his head on a pole outside of camp to let people with unsavory motives know what they're in for if they get froggy; return home, make love to his woman, fall into a deep and peaceful sleep, wake up in the morning and in perfectly clear conscience, spend the day teaching his sons of virtue. That's who.

Do you have any fucking questions?"

Treffie
10-15-2009, 12:12 PM
(How's this for ego: I'm about to quote myself. But I am me, so.. eat it.)

Me:"...I swear, some of you dumb fuckers think that it's going to be the man with the best jujitsu who is going protect you if or when the proverbial shit hits the fan."

Other: "Of course it is (lols), who do you think it's going to be? The best fucking talker?"

Me:"You want to know who?"

Other: "I'm all ears."

Me: "Then I'll tell you. It's going to be the man who can hack another to bits, stick his head on a pole outside of camp to let people with unsavory motives know what they're in for if they get froggy; return home, make love to his woman, fall into a deep and peaceful sleep, wake up in the morning and in perfectly clear conscience, spend the day teaching his sons of virtue. That's who.

Do you have any fucking questions?"

I shall quote you too, SuuT. This used to be my signature, it was in response to one of Loki's questions quite a while back, but the topic of conversation now escapes me.

SuuT - Fuel up Pinky. :D

Ulf
10-15-2009, 03:13 PM
All government, in its essence, is a conspiracy against the superior man: its one permanent object is to oppress him and cripple him. If it be aristocratic in organization, then it seeks to protect the man who is superior only in law against the man who is superior in fact; if it be democratic, then it seeks to protect the man who is inferior in every way against both. One of its primary functions is to regiment men by force, to make them as much alike as possible and as dependent upon one another as possible, to search out and combat originality among them. All it can see in an original idea is potential change, and hence an invasion of its prerogatives. The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are.

H. L. Mencken

Lyfing
10-16-2009, 01:14 AM
For it is not a God that is coming, but Gods. They are taking shape; their gravity is inescapable.

Later,
-Lyfing

Psychonaut
10-16-2009, 01:15 AM
For it is not a God that is coming, but Gods. They are taking shape; their gravity is inescapable.

Are we on the same wavelength or what!? I was actually just re-reading that post this morning! :thumb001:

lei.talk
10-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Why do you like these people? They're sheep!

- Benny Jacks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer_(film))
0AT5nz56KlE

Svipdag
10-28-2009, 04:04 PM
"Each new generation is a fresh invasion of savages"

Ernest Fremont Tittle

Óttar
10-28-2009, 07:19 PM
I enjoy this quote from one of my heroes Alduous Huxley. Although I readily admit I often fail to heed and apply this advice, often to my detriment.

"There are very few problems that are worth taking seriously, most or all of which are caused by taking things too seriously."

:p

Bari
10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
"Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate. "

-Friedrich Nietzsche

“The friendship that can cease has never been real.”

-St. Jerome

“Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.”

-Horace

Monolith
10-28-2009, 09:24 PM
"It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees." - Emiliano Zapata

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." Matthew 7:6

lei.talk
11-08-2009, 03:21 AM
"Uz redzesanos (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10417)" is Latvian for: Good Bye

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

- William Butler Yeats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Coming_(poem))

Mesrine
11-08-2009, 03:28 AM
« Io so' io, e voi nun siete un cazzo! » Marchese Onofrio del Grillo

iK2DHTY2ydM

Svanhild
11-11-2009, 10:13 PM
"I live in sin, to kill myself I live; no longer my life my own, but sin's; my good is given to me by heaven, my evil by myself, by my free will, of which I am deprived."

"The greatest artist has no conception which a single block of white marble does not potentially contain within its mass, but only a hand obedient to the mind can penetrate to this image."

"“Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it.”

~~~~~ Michelangelo ~~~~~

W. R.
11-29-2009, 02:11 PM
"[...] just as it depends not on us to choose for ourselves parents, it depends not on us to choose for ourselves a nation; one can only perform or not perform the duties which are the consequence of belonging to his/her people.”

© Dr. Jan Stankievič "From the History of Belarus"

Cato
11-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Zeus talking smack in the Iliad (Fagles translation):

"Hang a great golden cable down from the heavens,
Lay hold on it, all you gods, all goddesses too.
You can never drag me down from sky to earth,
Not Zeus, the highest, mightiest king of kings,
Not even if you worked yourselves to death.
But whenever I'd set my mind to drag you up,
In deadly earnest, I'd hoist you all with ease,
You and the earth, you and the sea, all together,
Then loop that golden cable around a horn of Olympus,
Bind it fast and leave the whole world dangling in mid-air.
That is how far I tower over the gods, I tower over men."

http://kpitv.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/zeus-lightning.jpg

Moral: Fucking with Zeus is potentially dangerous.

Svipdag
11-29-2009, 04:07 PM
"This is not my time. This is not my world. These are not my people."

Martin H. Francis

Cato
12-06-2009, 06:56 PM
"There is much talk of peace among the Christians, yet this is just talk."
Black Elk

lei.talk
12-08-2009, 02:06 PM
I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman,
without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood.

Germany is a great nation
only because its people have so much Polish blood in their veins.

- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche)

Cato
12-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I won't post one quote, but a link to some quotes by one my favorite Englishman-turned-American patriot, Thomas Paine:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html

Cato
12-08-2009, 03:41 PM
"Psychologically then, Athene protects our civilized and civilizing selves from the consuming fires of the spirit and from the threats of our primordial passions."
- Murray Stein, translator of Athene: Virgin and Mother in Greek Religion in the translator's epilogue of said book.

Northern_Paladin
02-03-2010, 08:19 PM
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

W. R.
03-28-2010, 05:00 AM
Cecil Jacobs made me forget. He had announced in the schoolyard the day before that Scout Finch's daddy defended niggers. I denied it, but told Jem.
"What'd he mean sayin' that?" I asked.
"Nothing," Jem said. "Ask Atticus, he'll tell you."
"Do you defend niggers, Atticus?" I asked him that evening.
"Of course I do. Don't say nigger, Scout. That's common."
"'s what everybody at school says."
"From now on it'll be everybody less one -"
"Well if you don't want me to grow up talkin' that way, why do you send me to school?"

Harper Lee, "To kill a mockingbird"

xD

OneWolf
03-28-2010, 05:09 AM
What Is Mind,No Matter,What Is Matter,Nevermind!

Homer J. Simpson :cool:

Cato
03-28-2010, 02:56 PM
"If Thomas Jefferson thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see how it is with representation."

- Rush Limbaugh

Germanicus
03-28-2010, 03:12 PM
“We must find new lands from which we can easily obtain raw materials and at the same time exploit the cheap slave labor that is available from the natives of the colonies. The colonies would also provide a dumping ground for the surplus goods produced in our factories.”

Cecil Rhodes..

Murphy
03-28-2010, 05:46 PM
"God is dead. ~ Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead. ~ God"

Pallantides
03-28-2010, 06:35 PM
I will burn your city, your land, your self. - Hulagu Khan

I die with a joyful heart in the knowledge of the immeasurable deeds and achievements of our peasants and workers and of a contribution unique in the history of our youth which bears my name. - Adolf Hitler

Germanicus
03-28-2010, 09:49 PM
“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

Genghis Khan

Liffrea
03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
“truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be
received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and
modes of this kind were discovered and must always
reappear.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that
those who would know it completely would perish, in
which case the strength of a spirit should be measured
according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely
endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would
require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened,
blunted, falsified.
Nietzsche

Liffrea
04-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Philip II sent a message to Sparta

"If I enter Laconia, I will level Sparta to the ground"

the Spartans responded with the single, terse reply:

"If."

:thumbs up:D

Cato
04-08-2010, 08:30 PM
"God damn fucking niggers!"
- My late grandfather on various occasions during his life.

Liffrea
04-08-2010, 09:36 PM
A man may fight for many things: his country, his principles, his friends, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally I'd mud wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock, and a sack of French porn.
Blackadder

Brings a tear to the eye.:D

lei.talk
04-09-2010, 10:11 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/hvs3tu.jpg (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?p=917037#post917037)

Originally Posted at the Alþingi http://www.theapricity.com/forum/images/kiddo/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?p=548341#post548341)
Rearden (http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/literature/Atlas-Shrugged-Character-Map.id-7,pageNum-131.html) heard Bertram Scudder, outside the group,
say to a girl who made some sound of indignation,
"Don't let him disturb you.
You know, money is the root of all evil
– and he's the typical product of money."

Rearden did not think that Francisco could have heard it, but,
he saw Francisco turning to them with a gravely courteous smile and say (http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826)...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0e/Sign_Ayn_Rand.png/120px-Sign_Ayn_Rand.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand)
http://www.clker.com/cliparts/1/4/9/3/11971054781724960569bsantos_Empty_Box_Thinking.svg .med.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking_outside_the_box)

Cato
04-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Some gods are strong to harm, others, to aid; at least so say their priests.
- Conan to Belit, Queen of the Black Coast

lei.talk
04-13-2010, 01:04 PM
...maybe it's because I understand how fermentation works that I don't care for girls in pants (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14631).

lei.talk
04-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Stephen Stone, a wealthy newspaperman who is disenchanted with his marriage, gathers his infant son and two helpers, departs on his yacht, and deliberately runs aground on an obscure island. Stranded on the unknown isle, away from the perverting elements of civilization, Stone, a Negro servant, and an engineer friend educate young Henry Stone. After thirty years of isolated education and physical training, Henry's father dies and leaves him his fortune; the men are rescued and transported to New York City. Henry innocent to the decadence of civilization, runs into problems with corruption and graft. His contacts with unscupulous women, coupled with his lack of sophistication, combine to create an extremely problematic situation.
Stephen Stone's advice to his son - Henry:
Never, never, never believe a woman...women are ruin. Love is a myth. Marry when you are over forty-five and marry someone you do not love. Love is ruin.
- The Savage Gentleman by Philip Wylie (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS281US281&q=%22the+savage+gentleman%22+%22philip+wylie%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=)

Cato
04-26-2010, 06:47 PM
European merchants supply the best weaponry, contributing to their own defeat.
- Salah ad-Din.

I wonder if he was trying to say that the Crusaders were their own worst enemy? If so, Saladin's observations into European character is striking- I've often heard it said that Europids are our own worst enemies.

Cato
04-26-2010, 06:58 PM
I will be that which I will be.
- Jehovah.

A better, and more literal translation (from the Hebrew), than "I am that I am," which implies that the divine is unchanging and static rather than dynamic and changing (according to its own particulars rather than to our own). "I will be that which I will be" implies that God is capable of some sort of change or adaptation or compromise, with the world.

lei.talk
06-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by Anti (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16240)-Nordicist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_race#Origins_of_Nordicism) http://www.theapricity.com/forum/images/kiddo/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=226761#post226761)
:clap2: "all your civilizational founders are belong to us (http://www.white-history.com/)" :clap2:

hope-fully, every one that uses the http://www.theapricity.com/forum/images/jagohan/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=228192)
to spread this across the inter-webs
will include the original post-linkage because
the original poster deserves all credit.

Pallantides
06-23-2010, 02:28 AM
'Your boldness and drunkeness, Antiochus, caused your fall; For you expected to drink up the Arsacid Kingdom in huge cups.' - Phraates II

lei.talk
06-30-2010, 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by The Mad Playwright (http://www.conan.com/invboard/index.php?showuser=37) http://www.theapricity.com/forum/images/kiddo/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.conan.com/)
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!"
- Conan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_the_Barbarian) in "Shadows in Zamboula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man-Eaters_of_Zamboula)" by Robert E. Howard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._Howard)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/Weird_Tales_November_1935.jpg (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Shadows_in_Zamboula)

Cato
06-30-2010, 02:22 PM
From Mitchell's translation of the Book of Job, which is, I believe, a literal translation from the Hebrew. Mitchell is a poet who's also translated tales and fables like the Gilgamesh story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Mitchell_(translator)

This passage has the Almighty rebutting of Job's many accusations of hostility against him with short, terse replies- the overall implication is, to me, that human justice is all too often imperfect and biased and that only God himself possesses the ability to deal out what he calls "savage justice." In the introduction to his translation, Mitchell comes right out and says that God has dual the qualities of creation and destruction, terror and beauty, and that those who deny this blatant fact is misunderstanding God in a serious way.

"Then the Unnamable again spoke to Job from within the whirlwind:

Do you dare to deny my judgment?
Am I wrong because you are right?
Is your arm like the arm of God?
Can your voice bellow like mine?
Dress yourself like an emperor.
Climb up onto your throne.
Unleash your savage justice.
Cut down the rich and the mighty.
Make the proud man grovel.
Pluck the wicked from their perch.
Push them into the grave.
Throw them, screaming, to hell.
Then I will admit that your own strength can save you."

The Ripper
07-01-2010, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by Anti (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16240)-Nordicist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_race#Origins_of_Nordicism) http://www.theapricity.com/forum/images/kiddo/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=226761#post226761)
:clap2: "all your civilizational founders are belong to us (http://www.white-history.com/)" :clap2:

hope-fully, every one that uses the http://www.theapricity.com/forum/images/jagohan/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=228192)
to spread this across the inter-webs
will include the original post-linkage because
the original poster deserves all credit.

Excuse me but what is this? And why do you link to my pictures? :coffee:

Óttar
07-01-2010, 03:44 AM
Amare et sapere vix deo conceditur (Publilius Syrus, Sententiae A22)

"To love and be wise is scarcely granted to even a god."

Magna di curant, parva neglegunt (Cicero, De Natura Deorum II.66)

"The gods take care of the important things, trifles they ignore."

nisse
07-01-2010, 03:57 AM
This one came to mind in light of recent events:

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

All-time favourite:
The society of love is a society of two, a society of solitudes, resisting universality. - Levinas

Svanhild
07-01-2010, 09:36 AM
"Move all 'Zig! For great justice!

Zero Wing :wink

Tyrrhenoi
07-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Berlusconi To German MEP Martin Schulz, at start of Italy's EU presidency in July 2003:

"I know that in Italy there is a man producing a film on Nazi concentration camps - I shall put you forward for the role of Kapo (guard chosen from among the prisoners) - you would be perfect."

lei.talk
07-26-2010, 04:02 PM
when one could simply point (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=207407#post207407) at the master (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=93315) SüüT (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=220995#post220995)
to ostensively demonstrate the ineluctable supremacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_race)
of the nordic pheno-type (http://www.theapricity.com/snpa/rg-main.htm)...

It is, anyhow, an undisputed fact that it was the so-called Nordic race (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_race) which, coming as immigrants into America, has taken on the heaviest burdens. They have driven the road, ploughed the land, built up industry, while the Italians and Greeks polish boots, sell fruit, and make bombs for "use at home (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchist#Propaganda_of_the_deed)", and the Jews lead an easy life in their Loan Banks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_bank#History) and secondhand shops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lombard_banking#History), and on friendly loans at 20 per cent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usury#Historical_meaning). This is, of course, speaking in general terms, but it hits the nail on the head. If you travel towards the north-west, you understand what has been done by the Nordic race, and particularly the Scandinavians, for agriculture. Most of them began with two empty hands and an iron will. The result can be seen in the form of flourishing districts. If you go into the great towns and wander through the various "Little Italys" and "Little Greeces" and through the Jewish quarters, and then take a trip to where "our people" live, you will feel relief at once again breathing clean air.

http://i48.tinypic.com/3zdkk.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgenbladet)
July 1, 1924

Cato
07-26-2010, 10:29 PM
"Sooner will a camel pass through the eye of a needle than a great man be ‘discovered’ by an election."'

Hitler (?)

nisse
07-31-2010, 02:46 AM
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
- T.S. Eliot

d3cimat3d
07-31-2010, 02:47 AM
"What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of fuckin' assholes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie"

-Scar face (al pacino)

lei.talk
08-02-2010, 01:37 PM
The tradition of the West is embodied in the Great Conversation (http://www.archive.org/stream/greatconversatio030336mbp#page/n9/mode/2up) that began in the dawn of history and that continues to the present day. Whatever the merits of other civilizations in other respects, no civilization is like that of the West in this respect. No other civilization can claim that its defining characteristic is a dialogue of this sort. No dialogue in any other civilization can compare with that of the West in the number of great works of the mind that have contributed to this dialogue. The goal toward which Western society moves is the Civilization of the Dialogue. The spirit of Western civilization is the spirit of inquiry. Its dominant element is the Logos. Nothing is to remain undiscussed. Everybody is to speak his mind. No proposition is to be left unexamined. The exchange of ideas is held to be the path to the realization of the potentialities of the race.

The aim of liberal education is human excellence, both private and public (for man is a political animal). Its object is the excellence of man as man and man as citizen. It regards man as an end, not as a means; and it regards the ends of life, and not the means to it. For this reason it is the education of free men. Other types of education or training treat men as means to some other end, or are at best concerned with the means of life, with earning a living, and not with its ends.

- Robert Maynard Hutchins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Maynard_Hutchins#Educational_Theory)
http://www.thegreatideas.org/images/hutchins_rm.jpg (http://www.thegreatideas.org/libeducation.html)

lei.talk
08-21-2010, 03:53 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/Holbein-erasmus.jpg/200px-Holbein-erasmus.jpg

Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus[/B] (][B) was the quintessential “Renaissance man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymath#Renaissance_ideal)” — a Catholic priest, a humanist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_humanism), and a theologian who traveled extensively, was an expert in classical languages and history and wrote fluently in Latin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin#Renaissance_Latin). While he remained a Catholic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic) all his life, during the Reformation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestant_Reformation) he had vitriol enough to offend both sides of the crisis that split Christendom asunder. Among his closest friends were Thomas More (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_More) — to whom he dedicated The Praise of Folly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Praise_of_Folly)

You would never believe what sport and entertainment your mortal manikins provide daily for the gods. These gods, you know, set aside their sober forenoon hours for composing quarrels and giving ear to prayers. But after that, when they are well moistened with nectar and have no desire for the transaction of business, they seek out some promontory of heaven and, sitting there with faces bent downward, they watch what mortal men are adoring. There is no show like it. Good God, what a theater! How various the action of fools!

(I may say that now and then I take a seat alongside the gods of the poets.)

— “The Run of Fools”, The Praise of Folly (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Praise_of_Folly)

Lithium
08-21-2010, 04:03 PM
"Your world is yours as ere it was before
Your time beneath my busy hand well spent
I’ve made a thing I love; I ask no more
And never shall redeem the heart I lent
Me in my world and thyself in thine
Two petals on the same and silent flower
And evermore I’ll welcome thee in mine
Your dear creation was my finest hour "
by Miss Emilie Autumn

Matritensis
08-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Anything by Schopenhauer,but specially these:

"National character is only another name for the particular form which the littleness, perversity and baseness of mankind take in every country. Every nation mocks at other nations, and all are right."

"Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed."

W. R.
08-25-2010, 12:13 AM
"As we see now, democracy even in the society of the rich ends with social guarantees and the transformation of Europe into a zoo, which provides nutriment, drink and sleep."

Yulia Latynina

San Galgano
08-25-2010, 12:27 AM
"Memento audere semper" (remember to dare always)

Gabriele D'annunzio.

"Fatti non foste a vivere come bruti ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza"(you were not created to live like savages but to follow virtues and knowledge.)

Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno canto XXVI, 116-120

lei.talk
10-17-2010, 05:34 PM
This, therefore, is a faded dream of the time when I went down into the dust and noise of the Eastern market-place, and with my brain and muscles, with sweat and constant thinking, made others see my visions coming true. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds - wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451), for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fa/Wikiquote-logo.svg/101px-Wikiquote-logo.svg.png (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/T._E._Lawrence)

Cato
10-17-2010, 06:04 PM
For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.

Psychonaut
10-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Lord Summerisle: It's most important that each new generation born on Summerisle be made aware that here the old gods aren't dead.

Sergeant Howie: But what of the true god...to whose glory churches and
monasteries have been built on these islands for generations past? Now sir, what of him?

Lord Summerisle: He's dead. He can't complain. He had his chance, and in the
modern parlance, he blew it.

http://www.familylosangeles.com/blog/uploaded_images/wickerman460-731533.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wicker_Man_%281973_film%29)

Cato
11-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Snippets from The Age of Reason, Paine's magnum opus and his defense of deism:

I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life.

I believe in the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to makeour fellow-creatures happy.

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.

Every national church or religion has established itself by pretending some special mission from God, communicated to certain individuals. The Jews have their Moses; the Christians their Jesus Christ, their apostles and saints; and the Turks their Mahomet, as if the way to God was not open to every man alike.

It is curious to observe how the theory of what is called the Christian church sprung out of the tail of the heathen mythology. A direct incorporation took place in the first instance, by making the reputed founder to be celestially begotten. The trinity of gods that then followed was no other than a reduction of the former plurality, which was about twenty or thirty thousand: the statue of Mary succeeded the statue of Diana of Ephesus; the deification of heroes changed into the canonization of saints; the Mythologists had gods foreverything; the Christian Mythologists had saints for everything; the church became as crowded with one, as the Pantheon had been with the other, and Rome was the place of both.

The Christian theory is little else than the idolatry of the ancient Mythologists, accommodated to the purposes of power and revenue; and it yet remains to reason and philosophy to abolish the amphibious fraud.

Cato
11-08-2010, 02:43 PM
^
I could go on, The Age of Reason has lots of gems of common sense, and Paine's disgust at organized religion is obvious on every page.

Liffrea
11-08-2010, 06:30 PM
From the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to fixed laws of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
Charles Darwin

“What Nietzsche wants is the increase of man’s power, the restoration of his force; but the meaning of the will to power must be recaptured by meditating on the ciphers ‘superman,’ ‘eternal return,’ and ‘Dionysus,’ without which the power in question would be but worldly violence.”
Ricouer

lei.talk
11-16-2010, 05:20 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/KonTikiQuote.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Heyerdahl)

http://i42.tinypic.com/2yzin85.jpg (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=299238#post299238)

lei.talk
11-19-2010, 03:40 AM
if the master (http://forums.skadi.net/member.php?u=24977) SüüT (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/member.php?u=183) were a witness this:

Originally Posted by Pallantides http://www.theapricity.com/forum/images/icons/icon2.gif (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=296127#post296127)

The Spanish and Swedish claims of Gothic origins led to a clash at the Council of Basel in 1434. Before the assembled cardinals and delegations could engage in theological discussion, they had to decide how to sit during the proceedings. The delegations from the more prominent nations argued that they should sit closest to the Pope, and there were also disputes over who was to have the finest chairs and who was to have their chairs on mats. In some cases they compromised so that some would have half a chair leg on the rim of a mat. In this conflict, Nicolaus Ragvaldi, bishop of Växjö, claimed that the Swedes were the descendants of the great Goths, and that the people of Västergötland (Westrogothia in Latin) were the Visigoths and the people of Östergötland (Ostrogothia in Latin) were the Ostrogoths. The Spanish delegation retorted that it was only the lazy and unenterprising Goths who had remained in Sweden, whereas the heroic Goths had left Sweden, invaded the Roman empire and settled in Spain.

- Samlaren (http://runeberg.org/samlaren/1896/0195.html)

Weichselschwert (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=294977#post294977) http://www.theapricity.com/forum/images/icons/icon2.gif (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=297164#post297164) This now applies to all of Europe:

It is now only the lazy and unenterprising Goths who remain in Europe,
whereas the heroic have left,
invading and settling other continents.

Curtis24
11-19-2010, 04:12 AM
does this mean all the heroic and enterprising Europeans went to America? :)

Osweo
11-19-2010, 04:36 AM
Anyone got a 'Captain Obvious' gif to post here? :tsk:

jerney
11-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Anyone got a 'Captain Obvious' gif to post here? :tsk:

http://i52.tinypic.com/vy0go4.jpg

how does this work?

Curtis24
11-19-2010, 06:18 AM
does this mean all the heroic and enterprising Europeans went to America? :)

you mean to tell me know one has thanked this post yet??? ;)

lei.talk
11-19-2010, 08:54 AM
does this (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=300528#post300528) mean all the heroic and enterprising Europeans went to America (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=219781#post219781)? :)

were you seeking simple:
http://i54.tinypic.com/29ennnc.png (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Captain_Obvious)

colour-full:
http://i55.tinypic.com/1qsahc.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer/Captain_Obvious)

or humourous:http://i30.tinypic.com/scytjl.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/30ma2qw.png (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Obvious)

Cato
11-19-2010, 11:03 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/vy0go4.jpg

how does this work?

Raistlin!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raistlin_Majere

MrsNglund
12-05-2010, 11:45 AM
"I guess by now I should know enough about loss to realize that you never really stop missing someone-you just learn to live around the huge gaping hole of their absence."
— Alyson Noel (Evermore)

lei.talk
12-07-2010, 03:11 PM
...I think that the only real moral crime that one man can commit against another is the attempt to create, by his words or actions, an impression of the contradictory, the impossible, the irrational, and thus shake the concept of rationality in his victim.

- Henry Rearden (http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/literature/Atlas-Shrugged-Character-Analysis-Hank-Rearden.id-7,pageNum-97.html)

Cato
12-10-2010, 08:29 PM
"Men's hearts hold secrets darker than any tainted creature."
- Flemeth, Dragon Age: Origins

lei.talk
01-03-2011, 10:06 AM
as BeornWulfWer has demonstrated (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=164586#post164586)
abraham lincoln has been miss-represented:

http://tightrope.cc/catalog/images/abe-lincoln-quote.GIF (http://tightrope.cc/catalog/shirts-abe-lincoln-quote-shirt-p-150.html)

Aemma
01-05-2011, 01:41 AM
From John Muir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir):

Why should man value himself as more than a small part of the one great unit of creation? And what creature of all that the Lord has taken the pains to make is not essential to the completeness of that unit--the cosmos? The universe would be incomplete without man; but it would also be incomplete without the smallest transmicroscopic creature that dwells beyond our conceitful eyes and knowledge.

From the dust of the earth, from the common elementary fund, the Creator has made Homo sapiens. From the same material he has made every other creature, however noxious and insignificant to us. They are earth-born companions and our fellow mortals. The fearfully good, the orthodox, of this laborious patchwork of modern civilization cry "Heresy" on everyone whose sympathies reach a single hair's breadth beyond the boundary epidermis of our own species. Not content with taking all of earth, they also claim the celestial country as the only ones who possess the kind of souls for which that imponderable empire was planned....

Plants are credited with but dim and uncertain sensation, and minerals with positively none at all. But why may not even a mineral arrangement of matter be endowed with sensation of a kind that we in our blind exclusive perfection can have no manner of communication with?

No feature, however, of all the noble landscape as seen from here seems more wonderful than the Cathedral itself, a temple displaying Nature's best masonry and sermons in stones. How often I have gazed at it from tops of hills and ridges, and through openings in the forest on my many short excursions, devoutly wondering, admiring, longing! This I might say is the first time I have been at church in California, led here at last, every door graciously opened to the poor lonely worshiper. In our best of times everything turns to religion, all the world seems a church and the mountains altars.

Cathedral Peak, Muir's inspiration:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2n8rom9.jpg

Cato
01-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Genghis Khan, supposedly, to some Muslim ruler that he was beating the shit out of:

“I am the punishment of Allah. If you had not committed great sins, Allah would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”

Peerkons
01-07-2011, 01:31 PM
“In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point.”
Friedrich Nietzsche

Raikaswinþs
01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
25 July 1938
To Rutten & Loening Verlag
Dear Sirs,
Thank you for your letter … I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-iranian; as far as I am aware noone of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject – which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its sustainability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.

I trust you will find this reply satisfactory, and remain yours faithfully

J.R.R. Tolkien

Radojica
01-07-2011, 04:15 PM
"Ko sa decom leze, upisan se budi"

"Who is going to bed with a kid (young person) he(she) is waking up wet (pissed)"

Radojica 07.01.2011

:....

Don Brick
01-07-2011, 04:52 PM
25 July 1938
To Rutten & Loening Verlag
Dear Sirs,
Thank you for your letter … I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-iranian; as far as I am aware noone of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject – which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its sustainability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.

I trust you will find this reply satisfactory, and remain yours faithfully

J.R.R. Tolkien

Yeah this is a great one. Tolkien trolled Hitler hard! :D

Comte Arnau
01-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Death wants to give me her cold hand, but I keep giving her my cold shoulder.

Cato
01-08-2011, 01:18 PM
"I think the real reason so many youngsters are clamoring for freedom of some vague sort, is because of unrest and dissatisfaction with present conditions; I don't believe this machine age gives full satisfaction in a spiritual way, if the term may be allowed."

R.E. Howard.

Pallantides
01-09-2011, 12:06 AM
"The people to fear are not those who disagree with you, but those who disagree with you and are too cowardly to let you know"

Napoleon Bonaparte

lei.talk
01-12-2011, 03:33 AM
"We never had to take any of it seriously, did we?" she (http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/literature/Atlas-Shrugged-Character-Analysis-Dagny-Taggart.id-7,pageNum-96.html) whispered.
"No (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=233078#post233078), we never had to." http://i54.tinypic.com/30igdbn.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Galt)

http://i51.tinypic.com/2n1f8sz.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged)

Cato
01-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Peace is a lie. There is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
[The Force shall set me free.]

The Code of the Sith.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Code_of_the_Sith

Radojica
01-30-2011, 12:20 AM
"Woman without ass, like the village without a church"

:eusa_shifty:

Talvi
01-30-2011, 12:30 AM
もしもって考えて何かが変わるわけじゃないね。。人生はそんなもん。

Its from a short animation called "Kogepan"

- (looking back and) thinking "what if (i had..)" isnt going to change anything. Thats the kind of thing life is.

I find it comforting.

Osweo
01-30-2011, 01:08 AM

Indeed Bratok, indeed... :strokebeard:
http://www.danheller.com/images/Europe/Portugal/People/woman-donkey-big.jpg
http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/jlgx/image/37793-1908-1272.jpg:thumb001:
(Guess the ethnicities and classify if you like :lol:)

Wyn
01-30-2011, 01:14 AM
http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/jlgx/image/37793-1908-1272.jpg

That pooch actually looks like he's trying not to look. He has that 'keep looking forward, don't break the stare' expression. ;)

rustyshiv
01-30-2011, 02:11 AM
"The dog would've caught the fox if it hadn't stop to take a shit"

The Lawspeaker
01-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Not my favourite but it makes me chuckle:

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Cato
01-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Three from Meir Kahane:

If we ever hope to rid the world of the political AIDS of our time, terrorism, the rule must be clear: One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.

Above all, it is not decency or goodness of gentleness that impresses the Middle East, but strength.

The Lawspeaker
02-03-2011, 07:06 PM
A meddling Yankee is God's worst creation; he cannot run his own affairs correctly, but is constantly interfering in the affairs of others, and he is always ready to repent of everyone's sins, but his own.- North Carolina newspaper (1854)

^ I could have been written today. About the U.S.A as a whole... :rolleyes2::D

lei.talk
02-14-2011, 04:52 PM
http://www.crazywebsite.com/Website-Clipart-Pictures-Videos/American-Patriotic/Animated_American_Flag-1SmLtBk.gif (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=315769l#post315769)

Originally Posted by John Galt http://www.theapricity.com/forum/images/jagohan/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/literature/Atlas-Shrugged-Character-Analysis-John-Galt.id-7,pageNum-94.html) Such a government substitutes for morality the following rule of social conduct: you may do whatever you please to your neighbor, provided your gang is bigger than his.

Only a brute, a fool or an evader can agree to exist on such terms or agree to give his fellow men a blank check on his life and his mind, to accept the belief that others have the right to dispose of his person at their whim, that the will of the majority is omnipotent, that the physical force of muscles and numbers is a substitute for justice, reality and truth.

http://i51.tinypic.com/jhvvw0.jpg (http://www.aynrand.org)
http://i55.tinypic.com/2wrqn2q.png (http://www.noblesoul.com/orc/index.html)http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0b/Wikipedia_World_Developer_Champion.png/70px-Wikipedia_World_Developer_Champion.png (http://www.youtube.com/user/GaltSpeaking#p/u/12/00xStn_jXKo)
http://i51.tinypic.com/jhvvw0.jpg (http://www.atlassociety.org/)

Cato
02-15-2011, 12:52 PM
One of Epictetus's acquaintances who seems to lean toward the Cynic's calling asked, "What kind of man ought a Cynic [philosopher] be, and what is the basic conception of his vocation?"

Epictetus said, "We will look closely at this at leisure. I can tell you this, the man separated from God who takes up so great a calling is hateful to God, and he wishes for himself nothing other than public disgrace. For no one in a well-run household comes along and says to himself, `I ought to manage this house.' If he does, the lord of the house, when he turns and sees him pompously giving orders, will drag him out and squeeze him dry. It is the same way also in this great city, the world. There is also here a Lord of the house who gives orders to each. You are the sun. You are able to circle the heavens, to make years and to nourish and to make the crops grow. You can move the winds and calm them, and to give even warmth to human bodies. Arise, orbit and thus move everything from the greatest to the tiniest. You are a calf. When a lion appears, do what is yours to do. If you do not, you will lament. You are a bull, come and fight. For this is given to you; it fits your being, and you are able to do it. You can lead the army against Ilium; be Agamemnon. You can fight Hector; be Achilles. But if Thersites had come along and assumed command, he would not have got it, or he would have shamed himself before a host of witnesses. So consider your vocation carefully; it is not what it seems to you who says `I wear a hair cloak now, and I shall continue to do so. I have a hard bed now, and I shall continue to sleep on it. I shall carry a bag and a staff, and I shall start to wander around and beg from those I meet—and revile them. If I see someone using a depilatory or with a fancy haircut or walking around in scarlet, I will remonstrate with him.' If you imagine the calling to be like this, get far away from it. Do not approach it; it is not for you. But if your imagination is correct, and you do not consider yourself unworthy, consider the greatness of the calling which you are taking in hand. First, you must completely change everything about you from your current practices, and you must blame neither God nor man. You must obliterate yearnings and turn your tendencies toward moral considerations alone.

Pallantides
04-10-2011, 05:26 PM
R_NAoNd4YyY
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh, you touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding

UXLVFnl3WcE
We are trained for espionage; we would be legends, but the records are sealed. Glory in battle is not our way.

mymy
04-10-2011, 07:19 PM

:eusa_shifty:

:rotfl::p

I love this one :D :cool: It makes me feel proud :D :D :D

mymy
04-10-2011, 07:24 PM
My favorites:

“You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note.”

''I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow. ''

"If nobody knows it, it's like it didn't happen at all."

Cato
04-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Some quotes by Zhuge Liang (Kongming), famed Chinese strategist of Shu-Han during the Three Kingdoms period:

Good generals select intelligent officers, thoughtful advisors, and brave subordinates. They oversee their troops like a fierce tiger with wings.

An enlightened ruler does not worry about people not knowing him; he worries about not knowing people.

To overcome the intelligent by folly is contrary to the natural order of things; to overcome the foolish by intelligence is in accord with the natural order. To overcome the intelligent by intelligence, however, is a matter of opportunity.

Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.

Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win.

Kongming was such an influential strategist that his commentary on Sun Tzu's The Art of War, called Mastering the Art of War, was very influential in the past but is little known knowadays. His trademark item was a feathered fan.

http://www.chinatravel.com/images/focus/yangtze-river/zhugeliang.jpg

Cato
04-11-2011, 03:06 PM
"Wherever I go it will be well with me, for it was well with me here, not on account of the place, but of my judgments which I shall carry away with me, for no one can deprive me of these; on the contrary, they alone are my property, and cannot be taken away, and to possess them suffices me wherever I am or whatever I do."

Epictetus

Svipdag
04-17-2011, 03:19 PM
"Each new generation is a fresh invasion of savages." - Ernest Fremont Tittle

Zephyr
04-17-2011, 03:22 PM
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Matritensis
04-17-2011, 08:50 PM
All of these from Seneca:

"Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body."

"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult." (one wonders if the SAS motto "who dares wins" comes from this)

"Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones."

Turkophagos
04-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I promise violence.

Wanderlei Silva, before his fight with Rampage Jackson for Pride FC in 2004, when he was asked to make a statement for his fans.

Svanhild
04-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Rolf Rüßmann, former German football player:

"Wenn wir hier schon nicht gewinnen, dann treten wir ihnen wenigstens den Rasen kaputt."

Loosely translated: "If we're unable to win on this football ground then we will tread down their lawn, at least." :wink

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cKKOrUXKL.jpg

demiirel
04-18-2011, 03:03 PM
He came neighing,
fleeing from his own shadow,
playing with his head,
fleeing from the dust he was raising, he came.

- From the epic "Aghayn Ulan Khan".

Daos
04-18-2011, 03:10 PM
„Numai prin cultura noastră țărănească vom însemna și noi ceva în lumea asta mare. Cu armele Occidentului nu vom bate niciodată Occidentul și va trece multă vreme până vom înceta a mai fi o caricatură sau, în cel mai bun caz, o copie fără importanță a Apusului.”

Rough translation: „Only through our peasant culture will we mean something in this big world. We will never defeat the Occident with its own weapons and much time will pass until we will stop being a caricature or, at best, a meaningless copy of the West.”

Cato
04-19-2011, 02:38 AM
This comes from a more literal translation, literally translated from Hebrew into English, of the Book of Job. It's much more blunt and harsh and the Almighty almost sarcastically mocks Job with his statements.

"Then the Unnamable again spoke to Job from within the whirlwind:

Do you dare to deny my judgment?
Am I wrong because you are right?
Is your arm like the arm of God?
Can your voice bellow like mine?
Dress yourself like an emperor.
Climb up onto your throne.
Unleash your savage justice.
Cut down the rich and the mighty.
Make the proud man grovel.
Pluck the wicked from their perch.
Push them into the grave.
Throw them, screaming, to hell.
Then I will admit that your own strength can save you."

Pallantides
04-21-2011, 01:53 PM
http://www.tribute.ca/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/charlie_sheen_machete.jpg

Charlie Sheen quotes:

The last time I used? What do you mean? I used my toaster this morning.

I'm not Thomas Jefferson. He was a pussy

It might be lonely up here but I sure like the view.

I'm sorry, man, I've got magic. And I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time and this includes naps, I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air.

I'm tired of pretending I'm not a total bitchin' rock star from Mars.

The first one's free. The next one goes in your mouth.

If you're a part of my family, I will love you violently.

I’m going to hang out with these two smoooooking hotties and fly privately around the world.

If you borrowed my brain for five seconds, you’d be like, ‘Dude! Can’t handle it, unplug this bastard!’ "It fires in a way that’s maybe not from, uh… this terrestrial realm.

I was banging seven-gram rocks, because that’s how I roll. I have one speed, I have one gear: Go.

I'm so tired of pretending my life isn’t perfect and bitching and just winning every second and I’m not perfect and bitchin’

You have the right to kill me, but you do not have the right to judge me. Boom. That’s the whole movie. That’s life.

am on a drug, it's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body.

There's a new sheriff in town. And he has an army of assassins.

I will not believe that if I do something then I have to follow a certain path because it was written for normal people. People who aren't special. People who don’t have tiger blood and Adonis DNA.

If your not with me your with the trolls.

Hess
05-04-2011, 10:32 PM
"Some men live and die beneath the shade of their olive trees. Some men change the world even in defeat." -Movie about Napoleon

Cato
05-04-2011, 11:02 PM
And he [Jesus] answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

Luke 10:27, KJV.

Osweo
05-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Shan't!

- Osweo

Efim45
05-05-2011, 12:29 AM
"You boys need some help?"-Randy (aka Freakshow) from Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. Best minority movie ever.

W. R.
06-16-2011, 08:25 PM
All the European languages must be enriched with this German loanword:

Unterwanderung - Das langsame Einströmen einer fremden Bevölkerung in eine andere und das Zerstören deren Einheitlichkeit. (Gerhard Wahrig. Deutsches Wörterbuch. Gütersloh, 1968. S. 3747)

The slow influx of an alien population into another one, and the destruction of the unity/homogeneity of the latter.

Efim45
06-16-2011, 08:45 PM
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."
-Luke 1:37

Comte Arnau
06-16-2011, 11:44 PM
'Is your name Google?'
'No, why?'
'Cause you've got everything I'm searching for.'

-- 21st century nerd flirting style

la bombe
06-17-2011, 12:41 AM
A good one I came across today

If you're brave enough to say "goodbye", life will reward you with a new "hello"

Cato
06-17-2011, 01:26 AM
"The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

Genghis Khan

Aces High
06-18-2011, 08:44 PM
No man who has once heartily and wholly laughed can be altogether irreclaimably bad.

Thomas Carlyle

Cato
06-20-2011, 06:45 PM
A fine god indeed, this boaster and sorcerer who performed not one godly action, who could not counter the opposition of men, or avoid the disaster that ended his life in disgrace.

Celsus

Cato
06-21-2011, 03:32 PM
“Discourse on virtue and they pass by in droves. Whistle and dance the shimmy, and you've got an audience.”

Diogenes the Cynic

julie
06-21-2011, 04:23 PM
"You ain't whistling Dixie!" ( us redneck have said this forever)

Pallantides
06-27-2011, 02:04 PM
The main thing is to make history, not to write it. - Otto von Bismarck

Zephyr
06-27-2011, 04:53 PM
The main thing is to make history, not to write it. - Otto von Bismarck

Yet writing history is the key to make it :thumbs up

Cato
07-01-2011, 12:33 PM
When anything, from the meanest thing upwards, is attractive or serviceable or an object of affection, remember always to say to yourself, 'What is its nature?' If you are fond of a jug, say you are fond of a jug; then you will not be disturbed if it be broken. If you kiss your child or wife, say to yourself that you are kissing a human being, for then if death strikes it you will not be disturbed.

Epictetus

Cato
07-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Wipe out negative imagination and fantasy, stop their string-pulling. Live in the present moment, the eternal here and now. Understand what is happening to you and to others. Discriminate between the form and the substance of everything. Meditate on your last hour. It will bring you to the Self, let the wrong done by you to anyone stay where it has been done, don't carry it about in the mind like a bundle of baggage.

Marcus Aurelius.

Logan
07-02-2011, 01:33 AM
Time After Time film 1979

'Every age is the same. It's only love that makes any of them bearable.'

Beorn
07-02-2011, 01:37 AM
You need real dark to see stars. When things are really dark, as dark as they can get, you see so much more. So many wonderful things, sometimes, some things get darker for you than for the rest of us, but you've got to see those moments as something special because they are showing you things. You're looking at the end of the world nobody else will ever understand, and that's a blessing. That's not a curse.

Timothy Spalding - Heartless.

Joe McCarthy
07-02-2011, 01:59 AM
'The most significant event of the 20th century will be the fact that the North Americans speak English.' Otto von Bismarck

Zankapfel
07-02-2011, 08:00 PM
"give some room for drunk teutonics you bloody spanjacker lesbian communists"

- Jamt, 2011. Apricity Chat-Box.

Pallantides
07-08-2011, 12:34 AM
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. - Kurt Cobain

Rochefaton
07-08-2011, 12:40 AM
I can't pick a favorite quote, but my favorites "quotes" came from the lips of Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh. That guy has been pissing in the face of political correctness my entire life and probably his, as well.

gold_fenix
07-08-2011, 12:47 AM
I think therefore I am
Descartes

Lithium
07-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Но кажи какво да правя,
кат си ме, майко, родила
със сърце мъжко, юнашко,
та сърце, майко, не трае
да гледа турчин, че бесней
над бащино ми огнище.... [Христо Ботев "НА ПРОЩАВАНЕ"]
Rough translation : But tell me what to do, when you born me, mother. With a heart, masculine, brave, my heart, mother, can't stand, to watch the Turk's rage, on my fatherland.

Laudanum
07-08-2011, 09:29 AM
''You got your whole life long to live your whole life long'' - Justin Vernon

edit: oh, and these as well:

''I have buried you in every place i've been'', also by Justin Vernon.

''I was walking far from home, but I carried your letters all the while'', by Samuel Beam.

All three of these quotes are from songs.

lI
07-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Oh, I've got many.. Just to name a few:

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised God doesnt work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

You can be sincere and you can be sincerely wrong

The longer an excuse, the less likely it is truth

The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat

Turkey
09-10-2011, 06:50 AM
'Beware the double ended dildo'

Lithium
09-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Sonnet IV
If all you love I am, as I am quite,
Then why dost thou not love? Dost thou not see
A plainly perfect match? If thou art bright,
Then why, when thou dost love, love'st thou not me?
Instead preferring someone far removed
From all you claim to most admire? I would
Commit you as a lunatic if proved
Thus mad you were my ward for your own good.
And yet I'm making light of my own pain
Because I finally love, yet love in vain.

SilverKnight
09-10-2011, 07:22 AM
"Always act as unstoppable "

"If your spouse can't let karma handle it"

rhiannon
09-10-2011, 11:42 AM
I want to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning....Satan goes "Oh crap, she's up."
-author unknown

Kataphraktoi
09-10-2011, 03:53 PM
"Snacks are good in moderation."
- from the video game Sid Meier's Civilization IV

Logan
09-10-2011, 04:51 PM
http://deescribbler.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451afd569e2015434aa0283970c-800wi

Nancy Astor: 'Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.'
Churchill: 'If I were your husband I would take it.'

Neanderthal
09-10-2011, 04:57 PM
STOP
Hammer Time.

http://www.songsense.info/storage/stop-hammer-time.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1306943448744

Aptrgangr
12-13-2011, 07:55 AM
"The cheapest form of pride however is national pride. For it betrays in the one thus afflicted the lack of individual qualities of which he could be proud, while he would not otherwise reach for what he shares with so many millions. He who possesses significant personal merits will rather recognise the defects of his own nation, as he has them constantly before his eyes, most clearly. But that poor beggar who has nothing in the world of which he can be proud, latches onto the last means of being proud, the nation to which he belongs to. Thus he recovers and is now in gratitude ready to defend with hands and feet all errors and follies which are its own."
Schopenhauer - Parerga und Paralipomena

"The two foes of human happiness are pain and boredom."
Schopenhauer - Personality; or, What a Man Is

Flintlocke
12-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Sed res docuit id verum esse, quod in carminibus Appius ait, fabrum esse suae quemque fortunae.
But experience has shown that to be true which Appius says in his verses, that every man is the architect of his own fortune.
Sallust, Epistulae ad Caesarem senem, I.1.2

But he who knows what insanity is, is sane; whereas insanity can no more be sensible of its own existence, than blindness can see itself.
Apologia; seu, Pro Se de Magia (Apologia; or, A Discourse on Magic), ch. 80; pp. 326-7.

Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius
In every adversity of fortune, to have been happy is the most unhappy kind of misfortune.
Book II, section 4, line 4

"It's my belief that history is a wheel. 'Inconstancy is my very essence,' says the wheel. Rise up on my spokes if you like but don't complain when you're cast back down into the depths. Good times pass away, but then so do the bad. Mutability is our tragedy, but it's also our hope. The worst of times, like the best, are always passing away."

Cato the Elder
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
Plutarch's Life of Cato
Variant: Wise men profit more from fools than fools from wise men; for the wise men shun the mistakes of fools, but fools do not imitate the successes of the wise.

An angry man opens his mouth and shuts his eyes.

Cessation of work is not accompanied by cessation of expenses.
Variant: Even though work stops, expenses run on.

Consider it the greatest of all virtues to restrain the tongue.

Vir bonus, dicendi peritus

I would much rather have men ask why I have no statue, than why I have one.

Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternatives.

The worst ruler is one who cannot rule himself.

'Tis sometimes the height of wisdom to feign stupidity.

We cannot control the evil tongues of others; but a good life enables us to disregard them.

Cicero
Ægroto, dum anima est, spes est

While the sick man has life, there is hope.

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto.
Let the welfare of the people be the ultimate law.

Ennius
On the traditions and heros of ancient times stands firm the Roman state
Latin: "Moribus antiquis res stat Romana virisque"
Fortune favours the bold.
Latin: Fortibus est fortuna viris data.
The idle mind knows not what it is it wants.
Iphigenia, from Cicero's De Divinatione, Book II, Ch. 13

Horace
We rarely find anyone who can say he has lived a happy life, and who, content with his life, can retire from the world like a satisfied guest.
Book I, satire i, line 117

Nil desperandum...

Never despair..

Iustum et tenacem propositi virum
non civium ardor prava iubentium,
non vultus instantis tyranni
mente quatit solida.
The man who is tenacious of purpose in a rightful cause is not shaken from his firm resolve by the frenzy of his fellow citizens clamoring for what is wrong, or by the tyrant's threatening countenance.
Book III, ode iii, line 1

Livy
Shared danger is the strongest of bonds; it will keep men united in spite of mutual dislike and suspicion.
Book II, sec. 39
There is nothing man will not attempt when great enterprises hold out the promise of great rewards.
Book IV, sec. 35
All things will be clear and distinct to the man who does not hurry; haste is blind and improvident.
Book XXII, sec. 39
There is an old saying which, from its truth, has become proverbial, that friendships should be immortal, enmities mortal.
Book XL, sec. 46

Petronius
A man who is always ready to believe what is told him will never do well.
Sec. 43

Plautus
Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Rudens, Act II, sc. v, line 71.
Consider the little mouse, how sagacious an animal it is which never entrusts its life to one hole only.
Truculentus, Act IV, sc. iv, line 15.
Man is no man, but a wolf, to a stranger.
Asinaria, Act II, sc. iv, line 495.

Pliny the Younger
An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.
Book II, letter 15

Pompey
Stop quoting laws, we carry weapons!
To the defenders of a besieged city who were crying outrage
More people worship the rising than the setting sun
Spoken by a young Pompey to the Dictator Sulla to get Sulla to award him a triumph

Quintilian
Pectus est enim, quod disertos facit.
For it is feeling and force of imagination that makes us eloquent.
Book X, 7, line 15.

Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish.
Book X, 7, line 21;

Seneca the Younger
rursus prosperum ac felix scelus virtus vocatur; sontibus parent boni, ius est in armis, opprimit leges timor.
Once again prosperous and successful crime goes by the name of virtue; good men obey the bad, might is right and fear oppresses law.

Treat your inferiors as you would be treated by your betters.
Letter XLVII: On master and slave, line 11

Lucius Cornelius Sulla

No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full.
His self-made epitaph, as quoted in Heroes of History

TheBorrebyViking
12-27-2011, 01:25 PM
"I have the strength of a bear, that has the strength of ten gorillas"

Drawing-slim
12-27-2011, 02:03 PM
There's no amount of fire or charm that can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart.

TheBorrebyViking
12-28-2011, 03:44 AM
I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth; banks are going bust; shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter; punks are running wild in the street, and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it.

We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat. And we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be!

We all know things are bad -- worse than bad -- they're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out any more. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we're living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, "Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials, and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone."

Well, I'm not going to leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot. I don't want you to write to your Congressman, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first, you've got to get mad. You've gotta say, "I'm a human being, goddammit! My life has value!"

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!!"

Flintlocke
12-28-2011, 09:26 AM
The Venetians were soon famous for their roving and warlike spirit, keen business acumen and pride.

Belligerent as they were, the Venetians had a businesslike attitude to war which seems to have been regarded as an extension of business by other means. The early appearance of mercenaries, ancestors of the famous Italian condottieri, in 12th century Venice was a sign of this attitude and not of any lack of martial spirit.

The people of Venice were also noted for their brawling and their love for display.

Many commercial ventures bordered on piracy.

- Osprey, Men at Arms, 210, The Venetian Empire

Flintlocke
01-10-2012, 06:31 PM
When uncle Adolf was still getting the party together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism#Racism_and_racialism

Fascists are not unified on the issues of racism and racialism. Mussolini, in a 1919 speech denouncing Soviet Russia, claimed that Jewish bankers in London and New York City were bound by the chains of race to Moscow and that 80% of the Soviet leaders were Jews.[255] In his 1920 autobiography, he wrote, "Race and soil are strong influences upon us all", and said of World War I, "There were seers who saw in the European conflict not only national advantages but the possibility of a supremacy of race".[256] In a 1921 speech in Bologna, Mussolini stated that "Fascism was born... out of a profound, perennial need of this our Aryan and Mediterranean race".[255] Mussolini was concerned with the low birth rates of the white race in contrast to the African and Asian races. In 1928 he noted the high birth-rate of blacks in the United States, and that they had surpassed the population of whites in certain areas, such as Harlem in New York City. He described their greater racial consciousness in comparison with American whites as contributing to their growing strength.[257] On the issue of the low birth rate of whites, Mussolini said in 1928:

[When the] city dies, the nation — deprived of the young life — blood of new generations — is now made up of people who are old and degenerate and cannot defend itself against a younger people which launches an attack on the now unguarded frontiers[...] This will happen, and not just to cities and nations, but on an infinitely greater scale: the whole White race, the Western race can be submerged by other coloured races which are multiplying at a rate unknown in our race.[258]

During the Great Depression Mussolini again expressed his alarm at the low birth rate among whites, saying "The singular, enormous problem is the destiny of the white race. Europe is truly towards the end of its destiny as the leader of civilization."[257] He went on to say that under the circumstances, "the white race is sickly", "morally and physically in ruin", and that, in combination with the "progress in numbers and in expansion of yellow and black races, the civilization of the white man is destined to perish."[257] According to Mussolini, only through promoting natality and eugenics could this be reversed.[257]

Many Italian fascists held anti-Slavist views, especially against neighbouring Yugoslav nations, whom the Italian fascists saw as being in competition with Italy, which had claims on territories of Yugoslavia, particularly Dalmatia.[259] Mussolini claimed that Yugoslavs posed a threat after Italy failed to receive territory along the Adriatic coast at the end of World War I, as promised by the 1915 Treaty of London. He said: "The danger of seeing the Jugo-Slavians settle along the whole Adriatic shore had caused a bringing together in Rome of the cream of our unhappy regions. Students, professors, workmen, citizens—representative men—were entreating the ministers and the professional politicians".[260] Italian fascists accused Serbs of having "atavistic impulses" and of being part of a "social democratic, masonic Jewish internationalist plot".[261] The fascists accused Yugoslavs of conspiring together on behalf of "Grand Orient masonry and its funds".

In 1933, Mussolini contradicted his earlier statements on race, saying, "Race! It is a feeling, not a reality: ninety-five percent, at least, is a feeling. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today. ... National pride has no need of the delirium of race."[262]

At the 1934 Fascist International Congress, the issue of anti-Semitism was debated amongst various fascist parties, with some more favourable to it, and others less favourable. Two final compromises were adopted, creating the official stance of the Fascist International:

[T]he Jewish question cannot be converted into a universal campaign of hatred against the Jews [...] Considering that in many places certain groups of Jews are installed in conquered countries, exercising in an open and occult manner an influence injurious to the material and moral interests of the country which harbors them, constituting a sort of state within a state, profiting by all benefits and refusing all duties, considering that they have furnished and are inclined to furnish, elements conducive to international revolution which would be destructive to the idea of patriotism and Christian civilization, the Conference denounces the nefarious action of these elements and is ready to combat them.[263]

Unurautare
01-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Denethor: "You may triumph in the field of battle for a day, but against the power that has risen in the east, there is no victory."

Aces High
01-10-2012, 06:57 PM
"If the seagulls are following the fishing boat....its because they think they will be eating sardines"

Eric Cantona.

Peasant
01-10-2012, 07:16 PM
I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how; but what is extraordinarily important is this—who will count the votes, and how.
- Joseph Stalin 1923

God is on your side? Is He a Conservative? The Devil's on my side, he's a good Communist.
- Joseph Stalin to Winston Churchill in Tehran, November 1943

You fools! Don't you realize what it means if the Chinese remain? Don't you remember your history? The last time the Chinese came, they stayed a thousand years. The French are foreigners. They are weak. Colonialism is dying. The white man is finished in Asia. But if the Chinese stay now, they will never go. As for me, I prefer to sniff French shit for five years than to eat Chinese shit for the rest of my life.
-Ho Chi Minh

I see how in the East, in Russia, fascism is rising – a fascism borderless and red.
-Robert Brasillach (According to an Aleksandr Dugin article anyway)

We must take from the right nationalism without capitalism and from the left socialism without internationalism.
-Gregor Strasser

Kacca
01-10-2012, 07:17 PM
"I will never, never, never, never surrender. Zimbabwe is mine. I am a Zimbabwean. Zimbabwe for Zimbabweans. Zimbabwe never for the British. Britain for the British."

Turkey
01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
You fools! Don't you realize what it means if the Chinese remain? Don't you remember your history? The last time the Chinese came, they stayed a thousand years. The French are foreigners. They are weak. Colonialism is dying. The white man is finished in Asia. But if the Chinese stay now, they will never go. As for me, I prefer to sniff French shit for five years than to eat Chinese shit for the rest of my life.
-Ho Chi Minh

I feel this man's frustration. It's the type of concept which comes so naturally to me. :(

I can't work out why everyone struggles with this sort of thing. History has shown that not enough Vietnamese understood his simple vision.

Turkey
01-10-2012, 07:26 PM
"I will never, never, never, never surrender. Zimbabwe is mine. I am a Zimbabwean. Zimbabwe for Zimbabweans. Zimbabwe never for the British. Britain for the British."

Sounds great. Maybe he should go to Britain and help us with the last sentence. We could use his logic there.

Aces High
01-10-2012, 07:30 PM
"Its a long worm that has no turning"

Old English proverb...;)

TheBorrebyViking
01-10-2012, 07:40 PM
"You take an oath to a man whom you know follows the laws of providence, which he obeys independently of the influence of earthly powers, who leads the German people rightly, and who will guide Germany's fate. Through your oath you bind yourselves to a man who — that is our faith — was sent to us by higher powers. Do not seek Adolf Hitler with your mind. You will find him through the strength of your hearts!"
"The Oath to Adolf Hitler" (1934)

Aces High
01-10-2012, 07:51 PM
"Theres many a mickle...makes a mackle muckle"

Old yorkshire proverb.

Logan
01-10-2012, 08:04 PM
My mum used this one in the mornings: 'The early bird catcheth the worm.'

Kacca
01-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Sounds great. Maybe he should go to Britain and help us with the last sentence. We could use his logic there.

yes we could

Turkey
01-10-2012, 08:36 PM
"Its a long worm that has no turning"

Old English proverb...;)

Let's hope it turns away from us soon.

Unurautare
01-11-2012, 07:11 AM
-Ho Chi Minh

http://www.robotswithfeelings.com/img/Things/Set%202/oh-snap.jpg

Btw I also like Falkata's signature-quote:

The Negro is indolent and lazy, and spends his money on frivolities, whereas the European is forward-looking, organized and intelligent."

-- Che Guevara (hero of the "antifas")

Turkey
01-11-2012, 07:43 AM
http://www.robotswithfeelings.com/img/Things/Set%202/oh-snap.jpg

Btw I also like Falkata's signature-quote:

see? no one get's it!

Amapola
01-11-2012, 09:37 AM
"Y yo, señores, que creo que las leyes se han hecho para las sociedades, y no las sociedades para las leyes, digo: la sociedad, todo para la sociedad, todo por la sociedad; la sociedad siempre, la sociedad en todas circunstancias, la sociedad en todas ocasiones"./

"And I , gents, think that laws have been made for societies, and not societies for laws, I say: society, all for society, all for the sake of it; always society, society in every circumstance, society in every occasion".

Juan Donoso Cortés

mymy
01-11-2012, 09:46 AM
“All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.” -Siddhartha Gautam Buddha

''It is better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for something you are not.''

''First keep the peace within yourself, then you can also bring peace to others.'' - Thomas Kempis

''If something is not happening for you, it doesn't mean it's never going to happen. It means you are not ready for it.''

Duke
01-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Lie, steal, kill, then blame the victim.
Old Serbian proverb

Dog licks his own balls, because he can.
Unknown philosopher

Not all that glitters is gold
Croatian proverb ( i think)

Keep your friends close, but enemies closer
IDK

...etc

mymy
01-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Lie, steal, kill, then blame the victim.
Old Serbian proverb

:eek:
Hm, do this really exist? I am not familiar with it.

Duke
01-11-2012, 10:12 AM
:eek:
Hm, do this really exist? I am not familiar with it.

Of course, i didn't made it up.

Its something četnik type of people would know

Laudanum
01-11-2012, 10:15 AM
“Every search begins with beginners luck and ends with the victor’s being severely tested.” By Paulo Coelho

Flintlocke
01-11-2012, 11:24 AM
"If you keep being their cunt, they'll keep on fucking you" -Old English proverb.

Unurautare
01-11-2012, 12:33 PM
General Moscardó's Navarrese

Guadalajara is not Abyssinia,
Spaniards, even the Red ones, are brave,
[You need] fewer trucks and more balls

Flintlocke
01-12-2012, 11:09 AM
We're gonna run a fast efficient operation and I intend to do as little work as possible.
-Lord Edmond Blackadder :D

Aces High
01-12-2012, 11:15 AM
“Did yer like that!?”

Fred Dibnah.

Der Steinadler
01-12-2012, 11:29 AM
"The most dangerous man in the world, is the man society depends upon."

Anon.

Unurautare
01-12-2012, 12:34 PM
see? no one get's it!

The fact that some Vietnamese made fun of the French army or that "oh snap" part? :p

Flintlocke
01-12-2012, 04:32 PM
As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can.

Caesar's wife must be above suspicion.

Cowards die many times before their actual deaths.

Experience is the teacher of all things.

Fortune, which has a great deal of power in other matters but especially in war, can bring about great changes in a situation through very slight forces.

I had rather be first in a village than second at Rome.

I have lived long enough both in years and in accomplishments .I have lived long enough to satisfy both nature and glory.

I love the name of honor, more than I fear death.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it.

In war, events of importance are the result of trivial causes.

It is better to create than to learn! Creating is the essence of life.

It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

It is not these well-fed long-haired men that I fear, but the pale and the hungry-looking.

Men are nearly always willing to believe what they wish.

No one is so brave that he is not disturbed by something unexpected.

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.

Which death is preferably to every other? "The unexpected".

It's easy to understand why he was the greatest of the Ancients :thumb001:

Laudanum
01-13-2012, 08:48 AM
“Every time you wish something, keep your eyes wide open, focus and know exactly what you want. No one hits the target with eyes closed.” - Paulo Coelho

The Ripper
01-13-2012, 10:59 AM
I read this in a biography of Michael Collins:

Life springs from death: and from the graves of patriot men and women spring living nations. The Defenders of this realm have worked well in secret and in the open. They think they have pacified Ireland. They think they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think they have foreseen everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! -they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace.

Padraig Pearse

Flintlocke
01-14-2012, 08:46 AM
I found out early in my difficult childhood, that a man's worth is only the strength in his heart.
-Temujin, Gengis Khan

Peasant
01-14-2012, 10:28 AM
“Did yer like that!?”

Fred Dibnah.

All gold:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fred_Dibnah

Flintlocke
01-19-2012, 06:08 PM
If you want a hundred Italians to be quiet, shoot one. If you want a hundred Albanians to be quiet, you must shoot ninety-nine.

-Lord Byron

(I'm sure all forum members have realized this fact :p)

Every country has mafias, the Albanian mafia has countries.

-FBI talking about Albanian mafia

The Lawspeaker
01-20-2012, 04:00 AM
If you want a hundred Italians to be quiet, shoot one. If you want a hundred Albanians to be quiet, you must shoot ninety-nine.

-Lord Byron

Thank you, Lord Byron for showing us the way. Now we know what to do... :wink

Alkane
01-20-2012, 11:03 AM
“Man's dearest possession is life. It is given to him but once, and he must live it so as to feel no torturing regrets for wasted years, never know the burning shame of a mean and petty past; so live that, dying, he might say: all my life, all my strength were given to the finest cause in all the world──the fight for the Liberation of Mankind”
-Nikolay Ostrovsky, How the Steel Was Tempered

Nairi
01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Armenian proverbs.

A woman is like the moon-some nights it is silver others gold.

Advice is a free gift that can become expensive for the one who gets it.

Better to be an ant's head than a lion's tail.

Choose a friend with the eyes of an old man, and a horse with the eyes of a young one.

Dogs that fight each other will join forces against the wolf.

He who cannot pray at home will celebrate mass somewhere else.

If a woman hears that something unusual is going on in heaven, she would find a ladder to go and look.

It is better to carry stones with a wise man than accept the meal of a madman.

Men have three ears: one on the left of the head, one on the right of the head, and one in the heart.

Heart of Oak
01-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Doing as you like is happiness,but liking what your doing is Freedom!!!

By T'S' Formidable