PDA

View Full Version : Blueberry harvest in Sweden

Jamt
12-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Commercial blueberry harvest in Sweden is done by Thais, Vietnamese, Poles and Belorussians. To the pleasure of the industrial jam industry. The amount of lies in all this is staggering. First the Thais are supposedly supermen that can roam the forests picking twice that of white people because they are used to bending at rise-harvest. Then the same yellows are not capable to pay for plain-ticket back and they are cold and miserable and mosquito bitten and ripped off by agencies and every year hundreds of them require Swedish taxpayers to help them home. The Poles all manage to make a profit and will not complain.

It is true that Swedes will not pick mushrooms or blueberries to sell. But I say fuck the food industry and ban foreigners (except for tourists) in our forests. So what if there is no blueberry-jam on shelves and for export, It would lead to more self sufficient picking by Swedes and a tripling of the price paid by jam factories and seasonal incomes to unemployed rural Swedes.

Also fuck the food industry for poisoning jam with sugar and chemicals.

Karl der Große
12-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Which is why are you angry man? Ate a lemon today.

The Ripper
12-21-2010, 10:43 PM
The exact same thing is going on in Finland... And the usual suspects (globalists, media) are defending this inverted China Phenomenon on the grounds of allemansrätten, among others. :coffee:

Albion
01-11-2011, 09:03 PM
It is true that Swedes will not pick mushrooms or blueberries to sell. But I say fuck the food industry and ban foreigners (except for tourists) in our forests.

I agree, get the unemployed to do that sort of work. I saw a video today as part of state propaganda (ahem, college education...) about encouraging minorities into the countryside. :mad:
It seems the liberal-minded fools want to take our last stronghold, the mainly European and mostly minority-free countryside. Typical Multiculturalist agenda. :(

It would lead to more self sufficient picking by Swedes and a tripling of the price paid by jam factories and seasonal incomes to unemployed rural Swedes.

I saw a programme once that claimed all Swedes still go into the forest to pick Lingonberries and catch fish, an idyllic idea but I doubted it very much. :D I wish such a idea would happen more often in Britain, occasionally I see some people doing it but its mostly in their gardens, I've never really seen many people go into the woods to pick berries or mushrooms.

Motörhead Remember Me
01-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Jamt, isn't it better for the Swedish economy that someone actually picks those berries so they can be turned into money and foodproducts instead of going to waste?
What is the problem really? Jealous about some ricefarmers making a sideincome?
Some of those people are actually fooled by dishonest Swedes, you forgot to mention that.

celtabria, a lot of Swedes still do that but mostly for their own need. A basket of lingonberries does not end up with the food industry, you see.

Motörhead Remember Me
01-21-2011, 12:35 PM
If you were an unemployed engineer, would you let yourself be forced into the forrest to pick berries?

I didn't think so.

Motörhead Remember Me
01-21-2011, 12:37 PM
The exact same thing is going on in Finland... And the usual suspects (globalists, media) are defending this inverted China Phenomenon on the grounds of allemansrätten, among others. :coffee:

They are not. It's the foodindustry that needs the berries so someone has to go out there so that you can buy cordial and frozen blueberry pie at Ica or K-kauppa.
Besides, this summer I was very happy to buy blueberries on the streetmarket from a nice and cute Thaigirl.
Need and demand met. What's wrong with that?

The Ripper
01-21-2011, 12:43 PM
They are not. It's the foodindustry that needs the berries so someone has to go out there so that you can buy cordial and frozen blueberry pie at Ica or K-kauppa.
Besides, this summer I was very happy to buy blueberries on the streetmarket from a nice and cute Thaigirl.
Need and demand met. What's wrong with that?

What's wrong with using under-paid, foreign semi-slave labour for picking industrial quantities of free berries?

As long as they're good looking chinks, it should be alright. :rolleyes:

Albion
01-21-2011, 12:54 PM
celtabria, a lot of Swedes still do that but mostly for their own need. A basket of lingonberries does not end up with the food industry, you see.

Yes of course I see that, I hardly see it as any large industry but I just think they could get people to do jobs such as fruit picking on small farms. Lingonberries grow mainly in the forests I gather but you could have people picking them to sell at markets, at least it would give them something to do.

If you were an unemployed engineer, would you let yourself be forced into the forrest to pick berries?

I didn't think so.

Probably not, but I should have been more specific, I meant the unemployed who won't work even in the so-called "good times".

Need and demand met. What's wrong with that

Your on a preservationist board man, not Asia Finest. (http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/)

Breedingvariety
01-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Blueberries faked in cereals, muffins, bagels and other food products - Food Investigations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_HjvjB4G5s

Bloodeagle
01-21-2011, 04:24 PM

I didn't think so.

If I was an unemployed Engineer and was hungry enough, I would shovel pig shit with a 2 pronged fork. ;)

Breedingvariety
01-21-2011, 05:21 PM
If I was an unemployed Engineer and was hungry enough, I would shovel pig shit with a 2 pronged fork. ;)
Hunger pose an ultimate dilemma: do you wanna live humble or die proud. Or maybe it's trilemma third option being to go on a rampage.

Motörhead Remember Me
01-21-2011, 06:50 PM
What's wrong with using under-paid, foreign semi-slave labour for picking industrial quantities of free berries?

As long as they're good looking chinks, it should be alright. :rolleyes:

Yes (giving them the friendly uncle's tap on the head) Look, the bottomline here is that we, Finns and Swedes, don't go out there to pick these berries. Mind you, more than 95% of all the berries in our forrests are not picked.
Think about that for a while.
So, the the suppliers (wholesellers) that supply around 100 - 200 companies or more that need these rawmaterials in various products, must employ whoever they get. First it was Ukrainians, Poles and Russians, now more and more Thais. If the cost of labour takes a plummet, who's to blame?
You and me or the pickers?

The real problem which you should be bitching about is that we are plain idiots sitting on natural resources that foreigners pay a good deal for, but we are not cashing in.
Blueberries are superfoods, loaded with antioxidants and vitamines. Dried blueberries are really expensive treats and guess who's making money on this? British and Japanese companies. The berries are shipped to Japan where they are dried and packed and then again shipped off to Britain where they are sold.

Motörhead Remember Me
01-21-2011, 06:54 PM

You do that.

I'd rather go out to the beautiful nature and enjoy some fresh air and check out the butts of bent over Polish and Thai girlpickers.

And I'm not even as smart as an engineer...

Motörhead Remember Me
01-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Your on a preservationist board man, not Asia Finest. (http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/)

Man, no matter how proud I am about my country and culture I acknowledge the fact that all is not worth preserving.

Motörhead Remember Me
01-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Blueberries faked in cereals, muffins, bagels and other food products - Food Investigations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_HjvjB4G5s

LOL!!

"I, the preservationist, am happy to eat faked blueberries rather than the real deal. Just as long as no foreigner is picking my berries!"

Albion
01-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Yes (giving them the friendly uncle's tap on the head) Look, the bottomline here is that we, Finns and Swedes, don't go out there to pick these berries.

You need to get in touch with your natural side. ;)

Mind you, more than 95% of all the berries in our forrests are not picked

I'm sure the wildlife will be pleased of the lack of competition.

Think about that for a while.
So, the the suppliers (wholesellers) that supply around 100 - 200 companies or more that need these rawmaterials in various products, must employ whoever they get. First it was Ukrainians, Poles and Russians, now more and more Thais. If the cost of labour takes a plummet, who's to blame?
You and me or the pickers?

Well obviously the purchasers but I still believe there's at least some native Finns and Swedes who'd be happy to take any work, in Britain we have such people who's origins lie here and would do any work they can get, I think the whole "I'd never do a job like that" mentality has to go. No wonder Europe is going down the pan.

The real problem which you should be bitching about is that we are plain idiots sitting on natural resources that foreigners pay a good deal for, but we are not cashing in.
Blueberries are superfoods, loaded with antioxidants and vitamines. Dried blueberries are really expensive treats and guess who's making money on this? British and Japanese companies. The berries are shipped to Japan where they are dried and packed and then again shipped off to Britain where they are sold.

That's true, there's many people who'll go and buy food at crazy prices simply if its marketed as "luxury food" or has a nicer packaging on it and a higher price. Maybe a Finnish company should become a competitor to the foreign companies (only one problem - British shops sell overwhelmingly British-processed foods - doesn't matter where the ingredients are from but it does matter about where it was packaged or processed it seems. :rolleyes2: )

I'd rather go out to the beautiful nature and enjoy some fresh air and check out the butts of bent over Polish and Thai girlpickers.

What if the fruit pickers were spotty-arsed men? :D

And I'm not even as smart as an engineer...

I did engineering for a while, I could probably get a job as a Swiss watchmaker with all the precision measuring I did.

Man, no matter how proud I am about my country and culture I acknowledge the fact that all is not worth preserving.

So what isn't worth preserving? What about the ancestry of your citizens? Thais and whatever mixing into the genepool would complicate the origins of the Finns...

"I, the preservationist, am happy to eat faked blueberries rather than the real deal. Just as long as no foreigner is picking my berries!"

That takes it a bit far I agree.

Motörhead Remember Me
01-24-2011, 08:22 AM
You need to get in touch with your natural side. ;)
What makes you think I don't?

I'm sure the wildlife will be pleased of the lack of competition.The figure includes what is eaten by animals.

Well obviously the purchasers but I still believe there's at least some native Finns and Swedes who'd be happy to take any work, in Britain we have such people who's origins lie here and would do any work they can get, I think the whole "I'd never do a job like that" mentality has to go. No wonder Europe is going down the pan.
I agree. 10-15 years ago picking berries was a job for 15-20 year old students. Today they earn extra money by other means. But I do know of Swedes who pick berries and make four months of wages in two months.

That's true, there's many people who'll go and buy food at crazy prices simply if its marketed as "luxury food" or has a nicer packaging on it and a higher price. Maybe a Finnish company should become a competitor to the foreign companies (only one problem - British shops sell overwhelmingly British-processed foods - doesn't matter where the ingredients are from but it does matter about where it was packaged or processed it seems. :rolleyes2: )
Consumer patterns are similar here.

What if the fruit pickers were spotty-arsed men? :D
I'd change place.

So what isn't worth preserving? For example Jamts attitude on this. Why let the berries rot?

What about the ancestry of your citizens?
Important.

Thais and whatever mixing into the genepool would complicate the origins of the Finns...
Dude, they are here to pick berries, not to fuck around. There are Russian prostitutes here who do just that.
And the origin of the Finns is already a complicated subject.

Bloodeagle
01-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Is there a commercial blueberry harvest of wild blueberries in Sweden?
In the U.S wild blueberries are rather smallish and sour nothing like the refined and often hybridized breeds grown by commercial blueberry farmers in Oregon and Maine. These commercial varieties grow on small bushes and are often the size of a marble.

I enjoy berry picking because it gives me an excuse to go into the woods and possibly shoot a bear, because bears like berries too!:D

Motörhead Remember Me
01-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Is there a commercial blueberry harvest of wild blueberries in Sweden? Of course there is.

In the U.S wild blueberries are rather smallish and sour nothing like the refined and often hybridized breeds grown by commercial blueberry farmers in Oregon and Maine. Well, our wild blueberries (like all other nordic berries and crops) get a lot of daylight in the summer giving them a really good taste and texture.

These commercial varieties grow on small bushes and are often the size of a marble.Yes, the funny thing is that these bush blueberries are called blueberries by the industry but wild blueberries are called bilberries. Understand that, if you can.

I enjoy berry picking because it gives me an excuse to go into the woods and possibly shoot a bear, because bears like berries too!:DI, a hunter too, hope you are not pouching illegally and not too many and that you respect wildlife.

Jamt
01-31-2011, 11:55 AM
isn't it better for the Swedish economy that someone actually picks those berries so they can be turned into money and foodproducts instead of going to waste?[/B]What is the problem really? Jealous about some ricefarmers making a sideincome?
Some of those people are actually fooled by dishonest Swedes, you forgot to mention that.

There is no waste in nature, think of the bears and other animals need to fatten up on blueberrys for winter.

The Ripper
01-31-2011, 12:44 PM
I also find it rather repulsive, that the berries, which can be picked for free by anyone, are picked by a locust swarm of semi-slave labour from the other side of the world, for the profit of a few "entrepeneurs" benefitting on making Finns compete with Thai labour in cost-efficiency. Locals have been pissed about "their" berries getting picked, as the ones close to residential areas will always be first.

Bloodeagle
01-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Of course there is.
Well, our wild blueberries (like all other nordic berries and crops) get a lot of daylight in the summer giving them a really good taste and texture.
I live at 61°N-latitude, we also have this daylight problem in the summer months.

I, a hunter too, hope you are not pouching illegally and not too many and that you respect wildlife.
My comment about the bears was my very dry humored attempt at pointing to the dangers of berry picking in my locale.
While a resident of my area can legally shoot 1 black bear per day, during the Spring and Summer months, I would only kill a bear out of necessity, if threatened or starving, because I find the meat unwholesome.
The real danger though is the local brown bear population, that when caught by surprise eating berries will occasionally kill you. So it is always advisable to carry a large caliber rifle or shot gun loaded with slugs or double 00 buckshot to defend yourself against attack. We can legally shoot and kill any wildlife that threatens to harm us or our property but they must be turned over to the department of fish and game.
Example of our local bear population taken near my home.
http://www.arrowheadoutfitters.com/images/galleries/bear/002_lg.jpg

I hope that I never run into Asian berry pickers. :D

The Ripper
01-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Finnish hunters once came upon a group of dazed, half-starving Thai berry-pickers who had lost their way in the wilderness... :D

Matuo
02-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't understand though, why there is a need to import people from Thailand for picking berries in forests, if there are lots of people from f.e. Russia, who could do same.

Motörhead Remember Me
02-02-2011, 05:54 AM
I also find it rather repulsive, that the berries, which can be picked for free by anyone, are picked by a locust swarm of semi-slave labour from the other side of the world, for the profit of a few "entrepeneurs" benefitting on making Finns compete with Thai labour in cost-efficiency. Locals have been pissed about "their" berries getting picked, as the ones close to residential areas will always be first.

Ask the pickers themselves why they return several years in a row. Sure, some of them are being tricked, but most aren't.

Residential areas in the forrests around Ranua? If this is such a problem, stop eating anything with blueberries and get all friends and relatives to do the same and they might go away.

Motörhead Remember Me
02-02-2011, 05:55 AM
I don't understand though, why there is a need to import people from Thailand for picking berries in forests, if there are lots of people from f.e. Russia, who could do same.

Because Russkies are lazy and Asians are effective.:wink

Motörhead Remember Me
02-02-2011, 05:57 AM
There is no waste in nature, think of the bears and other animals need to fatten up on blueberrys for winter.

I did. And still more than 95% rot every year. Why not put then to good use?

(A hint: natural resource = economy)

Matuo
02-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Because Russkies are lazy and Asians are effective.:wink
Nope.

These are effective Asians from Russia. Picked blueberries for market, as you see. They are professional and diligent blueberry pickers.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x251/zemelmete/Jugra-2009/IMG_7827.jpg

Now, what do you say?

Why northerners don't support other northerners, which are really professional blueberry pickers, and are very well adapted to the northern climate, mosquitoes etc., but bring labour from places (like Thailand), where people perhaps barely know blueberries?
I know that poorer northerners would be happy about getting extra money. And they can see and compare prices of blueberries in one or other market.

I have feeling that Swedes and Finns are far away from reality, and don't know possiblities, what they could use.

Northern people (whether from Europe or Asia - Siberia) are better blueberry pickers than Thai people, I am sure about this.

And, after all, people from Russia, even if they don't earn enough for plane ticket, they still can return back.

Jamt
02-04-2011, 06:35 PM
The main thing is economy. Let the price trippel and let the yam-factorys suffer and adapt or not. Northen Carlefonians fhoregh for mushrooms, so can Sweds

Matuo
02-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Let the Northern people pick blueberries or craneberries in northern forests, not people like Thai.

Sorry, Motörhead Remember Me. I don't accept your concept of global economy, it's simply BS. Why pick up Thais from far away Thailand, if you can get diligent berry pickers from nearby Russia???

At once, I wish to post beautiful pictures by Russian artist Nikolai Fomin about berries and women.

Blueberries:

http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/2//67/119/67119263_55394688_1266579377_2.jpg
http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/2//67/119/67119270_55394690_1266579385_3.jpg

Craneberries:

http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/2//67/119/67119276_55394696_1266579691_5.jpg

Lignonberries:

http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/2//67/119/67119248_55394686_1266579315_1.jpg

Other berries:

http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/2//67/119/67119278_55394698_1266579705_6.jpg
http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/2//67/119/67119282_55394700_1266579714_7.jpg
http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/2//67/119/67119288_55394704_1266579983_9.jpg
http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/2//67/119/67119274_55394692_1266579394_4.jpg
http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/2//67/119/67119306_55394718_1266580264_15.jpg
http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/2//67/119/67119296_55394712_1266580243_13.jpg

Motörhead Remember Me
02-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Thais seem to be preferred labour and there's nothing sentimental art about Russian maidens in the forrests can change.

Matuo
02-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Thais seem to be preferred labour and there's nothing sentimental art about Russian maidens in the forrests can change.
The art wasn't posted to change anything, it was just little addition to the thread.

About Thais speaking - please, elaborate, why they are so much better than people from Russia, if we talk about blueberry harvest. Elaborate please, why Thais are prefered, not northern people.