PDA

View Full Version : ITALY: The 49th State.

Cato
12-22-2010, 08:47 PM
A dated article from Time.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,886918,00.html

Speaking of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Unionist_Movement

That might've been poetic justice or poetic irony, since the Romans and Renaissance Italians were a strong source of inspiration for the founders of America. :) A sort of western alliance, eh?

Just passing a historical footnote to my Italian fellows.

Cato
12-22-2010, 08:54 PM
This would've ruled, actually. Adding a certain antique nobilitas to the U.S. And imagine the capital city being moved from Washington D.C. to Rome? :eek:

Bloodeagle
12-22-2010, 08:54 PM
According to the three men, the Government of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_the_United_States) should annex all free and democratic nations worldwide, thereby transforming itself into a world government (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_government), and allowing Washington DC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_DC) to maintain the Earth in a perpetual condition of peace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace).

Wow, that is some crazy thinking! :D

Cato
12-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Wow, that is some crazy thinking! :D

A western republic, methinks; democracy is a Grecian ideal.

I've always thought that the best way to save the western nations is for the U.S. to combine with the nations in western Europe, the U.K. at the very least, but probably all of them. This way, the best of the Old World becomes a part of the New World and vice-versa.

But, Italy, would've quickly become the dominant state in the union, methinks, simply given its population and economic potential.

Foxy
12-22-2010, 09:00 PM
OOOH! THAT is a cool party.
Well, we are not formally under the USA yet, but Italy is full of American militar bases and our foreign politics follow the American one. Italy is one of the few allied countries that despite to retire soldiers is sending new soldiers in Middle East. In 2009 Italian soldiers in Afghanistan were 3.300. In November 2010 their number was 4.200 (4.213 to be accurate).
The decision to send other 200 instructors in Afghanistan was taken by Berlusconi after that Obama (the president who purposed to stop the war) asked Italy reinforcements. Here they are.

http://www.adnkronos.com/IGN/News/Esteri/Afghanistan-Berlusconi-manderemo-altri-200-istruttori-nostri-soldati-salgono-a-4200_311283457538.html

In this case I support Berlusconi.

Cato
12-22-2010, 09:08 PM
OOOH! THAT is a cool party.
Well, we are not formally under the USA yet, but Italy is full of American militar bases and our foreign politics follow the American one. Italy is one of the few allied countries that despite to retire soldiers is sending new soldiers in Middle East. In 2009 Italian soldiers in Afghanistan were 3.300. In November 2010 their number was 4.200 (4.213 to be accurate).
The decision to send other 200 instructors in Afghanistan was taken by Berlusconi after that Obama (the president who purposed to stop the war) asked Italy reinforcements. Here they are.

Well, Italy would've had alot to benefit with a union with America, and vice-versa. After WW2, Italy was in ruins, but not like Germany, and it needed to be rebuilt, which American monies and industrial might could've done easily. America could've been rewarded with the simple prestige of the most august of European nations, arguably, wanting to join it as a state. Then there's the manpower aspect based on sheer population size; Italy had what, 40 million in 1945/46? Easily larger than probably California, New York, and Texas combined (at the time).

As I said above, had this far-fetched reality come to pass, you'd probably see the White House relocated to Rome lol.

Bloodeagle
12-22-2010, 09:13 PM
But, Italy, would've quickly become the dominant state in the union, methinks, simply given its population and economic potential.

I agree because California would never have become an agricultural powerhouse without the influence from the Italian immigrant farmers who helped establish the wine industry there.

Cato
12-22-2010, 09:19 PM
I agree because California would never have become an agricultural powerhouse without the influence from the Italian immigrant farmers who helped establish the wine industry there.

There's incredible material wealth in Italy that has yet to be tapped, to say nothing of the wealth in the North American area. As the fellow in the article suggests, the meeting of American capital and Italian labor would've made a formidable force. To say nothing of the presence of an American state in Europe that joined of its own free will, rather than being conquered by Soviet tanks and troops. The Cold War would've been very different, eh?

Italy would've been the first to go to the Hesperides; all of Western Europe would've followed suit eventually, and then you'd see a transcontinental white republic.

San Galgano
12-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Let's make this fusion suddenly and go conquer the world again our legionary brothers beyond ocean!:thumbs up
SPQRA (Senatus Populusque Romanus Americanus)

http://digilander.libero.it/romaeterna/immagini/aquila.jpg
http://www.voceditalia.it/public/foto/24521.jpg

Foxy
12-22-2010, 09:24 PM
As I said above, had this far-fetched reality come to pass, you'd probably see the White House relocated to Rome lol.

In Rome there was the Domus Aurea (litt. "The Golden House"). But ok, white is good :thumbs up

Bloodeagle
12-22-2010, 09:26 PM
I believe the union would have been a big win for the US but I am not sure that the Italians would have been too keen on such an idea. I am sure we would have entered into an era of terrorism not seen since the American Indian Wars. :)

Cato
12-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Let's make this fusion suddenly and go conquer the world again our legionary brothers beyond ocean!:thumbs up
SPQRA (Senatus Populusque Romanus Americanus)

http://digilander.libero.it/romaeterna/immagini/aquila.jpg
http://www.voceditalia.it/public/foto/24521.jpg

I agree; no two nations have ever used the eagle of Jove as a symbol like America and Roma.

Cato
12-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I believe the union would have been a big win for the US but I am not sure that the Italians would have been too keen on such an idea. I am sure we would have entered into an era of terrorism not seen since the American Indian Wars. :)

True enough, but the idea of a transcontinental nation is all but a given these days.

What would be better for Italy, union with America or with North African nations like Libya (or hell, even other European nations)? To me, the choice is clear, especially given the large number of Italian-Americans (about 18/19 million).

A perusal of the founding literature of the U.S. reveals a strong Italian/Roman influence (Mediterranean in general actually), regardless of how many say that the U.S. is a "Judeo-Christian" democracy, which can mean, to be blunt, mob rule by Bible-black tyrants.

San Galgano
12-22-2010, 09:57 PM
If we think that the industrial power of Italy is the medium and small industry, where still is present a great handicraft mentality that merge in the well known "Made in Italy"(copied by almost all Asian countries-especially China-which are becoming rich exploiting this too)and we join it to the greater big industry mentality of Usa, we could break the Chinese industrial power in one year.:D

Cato
12-22-2010, 10:08 PM
If we think that the industrial power of Italy is the medium and small industry, where still is present a great handicraft mentality that merge in the well known "Made in Italy"(copied by almost all Asian countries-especially China-which are becoming rich exploiting this too)and we join it to the greater big industry mentality of Usa, we could break the Chinese industrial power in one year.:D

And turn around the economic slump, eh?

Great Dane
12-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Just another idea for one-world governement. No different from the European Union or any other proposed trans-national unions for the stated purpose of prosperity and perpetual peace.

To me, the choice is clear, especially given the large number of Italian-Americans (about 18/19 million).

What about the other 290 million Americans who are not Italian.

I've heard the same suggestion regarding nations like Ireland or the Philippines, making them states. It wouldn't work well because of the geographical distances. I don't think Alaska or Hawaii should have been granted statehood. The Republican Party platform calls for statehood for Puerto Rico, a dumb idea even if 1/2 of all Puerto Ricans are already living on the U.S. mainland. Besides which these would be proposition nations, one based on a set of common values not on a common blood kinship. Historically they do not work. Algeria use to be part of France, not a colony but part of Metropolitan France, how did that end up? And the current E.U. is having many problems and may not last another decade.

San Galgano
12-22-2010, 10:17 PM
And turn around the economic slump, eh?

If Usa works all the western world works, and i would like to see the "rising dragon" hit the ground again as in the past.:D

Jokes apart, there could be some great benefits merging two different industrial mentalities as Usa and Italy in a new joint venture capable of dismantling a fake productivity as the chinese one.

San Galgano
12-22-2010, 10:21 PM
What would be better for Italy, union with America or with North African nations like Libya (or hell, even other European nations)? To me, the choice is clear, especially given the large number of Italian-Americans (about 18/19 million).

That problem doesn't exist Pallamedes.:D
If a union with Lybia would take place it would be only for exploiting their oil or natural gas or give them our know how.

Foxy
12-22-2010, 10:27 PM
I think that Italians, differently from the stereotypes, are hard-workers and could fit well in the American system. Not for nothing, many Italians went there became easily rich.
I dunno if Italians would fit into a multicultural and multireligious country, but surely it would not hurt us if that country was the US.

poiuytrewq0987
12-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Italy? Nah, Russia is more likely as it is much more capable than a marinated boot.

Foxy
12-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Italy? Nah, Russia is more likely as it is much more capable than a marinated boot.

Russia in the USA?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAH... :confused:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

THE END

SaxonCeorl
12-22-2010, 11:34 PM
No, Italy should not join the USA. Italy > USA.

The End.

poiuytrewq0987
12-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Russia in the USA?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAH... :confused:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

THE END

That's because it will be the other way round.

Guapo
12-22-2010, 11:44 PM
What about the other 290 million Americans who are not Italian.

Ethnic cleansing, mass rape, genocide etc including organ trafficking.

San Galgano
12-22-2010, 11:44 PM

How about not?:D

Italy:60,418,711 citizens
GDP (nominal) 2009 estimate
Total $2.118 trillion

Russia: 141,927,297 citizens
Total $1.229 trillion

Foxy
12-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Indeed San Galgano, if you annex Russia you have to annex also Eastern Russia--> Russian mongrels/Asians. That's not nice. :rolleyes:

Cato
12-23-2010, 11:46 AM
I think that Italians, differently from the stereotypes, are hard-workers and could fit well in the American system. Not for nothing, many Italians went there became easily rich.
I dunno if Italians would fit into a multicultural and multireligious country, but surely it would not hurt us if that country was the US.

Remember that this was back in the days of the Cold War, when countries were lining up behind one or the other of the superpowers- well before there was any politically correct, multicultural nonsense going about. This is a case of alternate history and has little to do with what's actually happened, so we can only speculate based on our own opinions and preconceptions. :)

poiuytrewq0987
12-23-2010, 10:33 PM
How about not?:D

Italy:60,418,711 citizens
Total $2.118 trillion

Russia: 141,927,297 citizens
Total $1.229 trillion

Yeah, sure, after the subsidies from Germany and England.

Foxy
12-24-2010, 05:44 PM

No, after the industrial revolution and also before. Only Venice during the renaissance had a GDP superior to France, England and Spain together. :thumb001:

Anyway, Merry Christmas, I don't want to fight today. :)

Bloodeagle
12-26-2010, 07:18 AM
I don't think Alaska or Hawaii should have been granted statehood.

Why? What makes these two states different than Iowa? :D

San Galgano
12-26-2010, 10:18 PM

Go ask subsidies for your urgent need of a brain, troll.:puke:

Italy never had subsidies from England or Germany and today it's the 3d financier of EU after France and Germany.

Get a life looser.