PDA

View Full Version : Axe falls on St George: Parade is halted after council says it attracts racist thugs.

Beorn
02-12-2009, 12:33 AM
A thanks to West Country Patriot for bringing this to the fore.

Axe falls on St George: Parade is halted after council says it attracts racist thugs

England's biggest St George's Day parade is facing the axe after councillors said many of those attending it were racist.
For the last decade up to 15,000 have assembled in the town of West Bromwich under the slogan 'Forever England, For Everyone'.
Children and parents from all over the country parade through the Black Country town waving St George flags and marching to rousing anthems such as Jerusalem.
Organisers say one of the aims is to reclaim the Saint George Cross from Right-wingers and make it a source of pride for all.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/02/12/article-0-0379DF5A000005DC-967_468x286.jpg

But last night the local council, Labour-controlled Sandwell, voted to withdraw its support for the parade. Funds will go to support a Party in the Park instead.
It leaves parade organisers with what they say is the impossible task of raising £10,000 to cover their costs with only a few weeks to go.
In a letter to the organisers, one councillor, Yvonne Davies, said the parade created an 'unhealthy atmosphere' and inspired young boys to be racist.
She wrote: 'It is not only the parade which is the problem, but the tribal excitement it creates.'
The West Bromwich St George's Day parade started in 1998 and began as a fairly modest affair with 5,000 turning up. Now three times that attend the two-mile parade in April. Fire Service and Scout Association bands have played, the British Legion lends its support and each year ex-servicemen attend.
A volunteer dresses up as St George and rides with the marchers, children paint their faces with the St George Cross and there are activities such as medieval jousting.
There have been some problems - last year organisers had to clamp down on drinking in the street and a band with hard-Right roots joined in without their permission.
Councillor Davies wrote in her letter: 'I am sure most are very respectful and law-abiding, however some are distasteful in the extreme and wish to divide and separate people from each other.'
She said she had once been abused by youths who 'had been emboldened by the parade and thought racist chants were funny'.
'I have seen first hand how the parade (albeit unintentionally) creates an unhealthy atmosphere.'
At a meeting of Sandwell council cabinet last night, her colleagues sided with her and decided against backing the parade. Instead there will be the Party in the Park, a concert in the Town Hall and St George Flags will be flown on all of the council's buildings.
Trevor Collins of the Stone Cross Saint George Association, which organises the parade, said: 'To suggest the parade is racist is ridiculous and offensive. When you see the kids, the dogs, everyone out having fun, it's really a beautiful sight. It doesn't matter if you're black, white, green, brown or whatever, everyone's welcome.
'The council's decision means we have to foot the bills for insurance and security. We've got to come up with £10,000 in two months which seems impossible.'
Another organiser Mark Cowles said the parades had raised £7,000 for charity. He added that, as well as losing out on council support, they had probably missed the deadline for applying for road closures.
'All we wanted to do was organise a fun, family-friendly day for everyone that celebrates being English,' he said. 'We have been approached by extreme Right-wing groups and we have turned them away.'
Source (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1142842/Axe-falls-St-George-Parade-halted-council-says-attracts-racist-thugs.html)

Meanwhile, in another part of merry Olde Englande...

Rolling road blocks will be in place for holy parade

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/resources/images/811159/?type=display

A HUGE annual procession through the centre of High Wycombe to mark a Muslim holy day will take place in March.
Rolling road closures will be put on place whilst the procession to mark the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad takes place around several streets in the town centre, on Sunday, March 15.
It will start from the Green Street Mosque, travel down Desborough Road and Bridge Street and onto Oxford Road and on to Castle Street.
From there worshippers will walk down Corporation Road, turn right along the High Street and into Paul's Row, then through the underpass and up to Wycombe Hospital where they will stop for short prayers for the sick.
From here they will make their way back to the Mosque in Green Street.
Roads closures will start from 11.30am and last until 2.30pm.
Sarah Widows, of Buckinghamshire County Council's Highways Department, said the parade is expected to take about two hours.
She said: "Rolling road closures will be in place. Police will stop traffic to allow the parade to pass, before reopening the road and allowing traffic to flow again."
Source (http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/4117412.Muslim_parade_date_set_for_High_Wycombe/)

...and did those feet in ancient times...

Gooding
02-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Double standards like that seem to be global, unfortunately :rolleyes2:

Treffie
02-12-2009, 09:14 AM
WTF? :mad:

Hildolf
02-12-2009, 10:15 AM
I'd seen the story about the St.George's day parade ban but not the one about the Muslim March!:mad: (blood boiling!)

So we don't allow native people who love their country celebrate their day, but we allow non-natives who harbour terrorists to celebrate the birthday of their mad prophet. But of course we do this is 21st century England, we are enlightened are we not!:rolleyes:

Freomæg
02-12-2009, 10:19 AM
*sigh* I live in High Wycombe. One of the more 'enriched' towns of England certainly. This is getting beyond a joke. Celebrations of Englishness suppressed while celebrations of Islam encouraged. Our forefathers must be rolling in their graves. I feel ashamed - that we've let them down. I really hope we wake up, soon.

stormlord
02-12-2009, 11:14 AM
"reclaim it from right wingers"; so now just being plain right wing is evil? No one ever says the words "left wing" with such contempt.

Aemma
02-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Double standards like that seem to be global, unfortunately :rolleyes2:

Well I'm not sure about that sometimes Gooding. I think the reality is a bit different in Europe than it might be in North America. I'm not sure about where you live, but I've yet to see these types of parades in my city. We still have the regular St. Patty's Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas parades of course. For Canada Day there's always a huge (multicultural) party on Parliament Hill. We have Italian, Greek, Lebanese and First Nations festivities/festivals here too, but nothing that remotely looks like what many large communities seem to have in Europe. The Muslim presence is not blatantly felt here...yet. 'Tis a different world here right now I would hazard to say, well at least where I live. Of course my view might just be totally skewed as to what else is happening in North America. I live in the capital of Canada and we're known to be a bit of a conservative (read 'boring' at times :D) city.

I don't know...of my fellow North Americans here, what is the reality in your respective neighbourhoods? Hmm methinks I shall post this question as a different thread now so as not to hijack this one :D. See this question in the racial tragedy section. :)

Cheers for now Gooding!...Aemma :)

Hildolf
02-12-2009, 01:15 PM
I think the people of West Bomwich should stick two fingers up to the council and have a celebration on St.George's day outside West Bromwich council office's.

Beorn
02-12-2009, 01:24 PM
'I am sure most are very respectful and law-abiding, however some are distasteful in the extreme and wish to divide and separate people from each other.'

That's what got me.

So she basically admits that the parade could proceed if the "extreme" members were excluded and thoughtfully brought to ridicule and exclusion.

So, why not clamp down on all parades like this?

Notting Hill carnival EVERY year has "extreme" members causing strife and civil disorder, mostly racial disorder, amongst the parades gathering, yet each year the authorities allow the carnival to proceed.

I suggest the tongue gets bitten and the organisers of the St.George parade collect money in the attempt to take the council to legal proceedings.

Treffie
02-12-2009, 01:27 PM
This is beyond belief, and yet the Govt allows marches in support of Hamas?:confused:

Gooding
02-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Well I'm not sure about that sometimes Gooding. I think the reality is a bit different in Europe than it might be in North America. I'm not sure about where you live, but I've yet to see these types of parades in my city. We still have the regular St. Patty's Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas parades of course. For Canada Day there's always a huge (multicultural) party on Parliament Hill. We have Italian, Greek, Lebanese and First Nations festivities/festivals here too, but nothing that remotely looks like what many large communities seem to have in Europe. The Muslim presence is not blatantly felt here...yet. 'Tis a different world here right now I would hazard to say, well at least where I live. Of course my view might just be totally skewed as to what else is happening in North America. I live in the capital of Canada and we're known to be a bit of a conservative (read 'boring' at times :D) city.

I don't know...of my fellow North Americans here, what is the reality in your respective neighbourhoods? Hmm methinks I shall post this question as a different thread now so as not to hijack this one :D. See this question in the racial tragedy section. :)

Cheers for now Gooding!...Aemma :)

Hey,Aemma! Real quick reply before I go to work and later class today..
Manassas isn't really a parade sort of place and my beef is more with the Hispanics who have achieved majority status here.There is an Islamic presence, but it's far more obvious in Fairfax and places more northerly.In reference to my earlier comment, I can say that I relate to the PC hypocrisy of minorities being encouraged to celebrate their heritage not only by their own people, but also by the government.This hypocrisy comes into place when the native,English speaking European Americans try to do the same thing and yet are shouted down for it not only by these minorities, but also by their own government.I'm Folkish and Asatru.Dare I say this at work, or out in public?No, of course not.I would get fired and/or ridiculed.If I were a Latino who practiced Santeria and was a member of La Raza, that would probably set me for life.I could be as loud and proud as I pleased and I would encounter nothing but encouragement.My devotion to my family can be seen in my love for my wife and my daughter, who both resemble me.Even that can and probably is taken by multicles as a political statement.Let it be.I'm proud of my people and I will do my part to perpetuate our legacy.I hope that that explains my comment as well as my position a little bit better :)

Pino
02-12-2009, 04:13 PM
So how do they know this Muslim parade will not have people with extremsit views in it?

As far as I know this parade has no record of violence unlike multi-racial parades so why are these not being clamped down on?

This has nothing to do with extremists or violence, it's about destroying our identitiy.

Thorum
02-13-2009, 04:53 PM
To use the words of Pat Condell, "Oh, Dhimmi Britain".

Osweo
02-13-2009, 05:02 PM
The people of West Bromwich should parade as if nothing has happened. We shouldn't expect the organs of the State to sort anything out for us, they've made their position clear as to who they support. What could the council do if thousands of people paraded regardless? I'd love to be taken to court for having taken part in such a heinous activity as walking down a street, the Council would be shown up as the fools they are.

British and Proud
02-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Here's an email I received from the website www.wearetheenglish.com (http://www.wearetheenglish.com) :

St George’s Day, mass immigration, multi-culturalism – the price we pay.

“The British ruling class may talk the language of love and diversity and inclusiveness. What it obviously wants is the unlimited power to plunder and enslave us, while scaring us into the appearance of gratitude for our dispossession. Because the tyrannized are always the majority in a tyranny, they must be somehow prevented from combining.” Dr Sean Gabb Director of the Libertarian Alliance

One of England’s largest St George’s Day celebrations has effectively been banned after the local council withdrew funding. The family event held in West Bromwich that has raised thousands of pounds for charity and is backed by The Royal British Legion, will now not be taking place. The decision to withdraw funding followed comments made by local Labour councillor Yvonne Davies who claimed " ...the parade ....creates a very unhealthy atmosphere .... - particularly amongst young males and I'm afraid I would support its demise for that reason.....It is not only the parade which is problem, but the 'tribal' excitement it creates in its wake." The full story can be seen here http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/69387/St-George-s-Day-is-racist-/

What is interesting about what the councillor had to say is her use of the term tribal. The parade probably was a largely “tribal” event – it was an English tribal event and that, for the councillor, was the very reason that she had a problem with it. This was to all intents and purposes an English community gathering and the “unhealthy atmosphere” that she complains about was the idea of English people coming together and celebrating as a single community. We have said for years that while all other communities are actively encouraged to celebrate who they are, anything that smacks of encouraging an English communal identity must be jumped on from a great height. What everyone else is encouraged to do – much of the time with huge amounts of taxpayer’s money - the English are instead demonised for. Anything that is deemed too English or in any way suggests that the English are a community in exactly the same way as the Indians, the Afro-Caribeans, the Bangladeshis or even the Irish is earmarked for multi-culturalisation. Everyone else can have their communities but for New Labour’s multi-cultural plans to ultimately succeed then it essential for the English to become nothing more than a soulless mish-mash of nothingness. The reason for this because we are the ones who are giving and everyone else is taking. Everyone else are the winners and we are the losers.

In multi-cultural England, if the English people are not going to be totally overwhelmed then we must act more like a tribe. We must start to think of ourselves and act as a community and for the likes of Yvonne Davis this is a problem. People without a strong sense of their own community are far easier to control and control is what New Labour are all about. If we are told that we have no community and no culture, then we have no community and no culture to lose. Rather than the disaster we face with further immigration and everything that goes with it – we will instead believe that we can only benefit. We can only be enriched.

The PC fascists condemn English events as “unhealthy” and “tribal” but would certainly never use the same condescending and flippant language about an Indian or Afro-Caribbean community centre, the Divali celebrations in Leicester or the Black Police Officers Association. How “tribal” are these? Events like the St George’s Day event scare the likes of Yvonne Davis because it brings English people together and has the potential to throw an English spanner in the whole multi-cultural project, as we might start to think that just maybe, our culture and heritage isn’t given the same respect afforded to everyone else’s. They won’t have that.

For the English the consequences of all this run much deeper than the lack of any celebration on St George’s Day. When you take away a group’s communal identity you also take away the bonds that hold that community together. The set of unwritten rules and the values that once influenced community behaviour – everything from being a single mother to keeping your front doorstep clean or making sure that your kids are always smartly turned out have been replaced by sink estates and moral poverty.

Take a look at any paper and look at the way that so many of our people have totally lost their way. By actively discouraging strong communal bonds you not only take away a communities sense of their own identity but also the self-respect and communal pride that flows from it. For mass immigration and multi-culturalism – this is the price we pay.

Here are the contact details of Councillor Yvonne Davis. Please let her know your thoughts on the matter: http://cmis.sandwell.gov.uk/CMISWebPublic/Member.aspx?personID=235

Double Standards

Leicester Mercury page 12 on 7/2/09 we see the article

'Parades under threat as police road rules change'

In which the focus was on St George's Day Parades by Scouts, Cubs & Beavers all over Leicester, with one being cancelled and others looking unlikely to go ahead due to changes in Guidelines of Highways and the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo)

5 days later in the Leicester Mercury Page 20 on 12/2/09 we see the article

'Religious Procession to attract thousands'

In which we are informed that a Shia Muslim 'PARADE' which will attract thousands, which is now in its 20th year of running, will leave Masjid-Al-Husayn in Duxbury Rd, the route will take the procession into Spence St, up St Barnabas Rd, down Green Lane Rd, Bridge Rd and back to the Mosque.

With no mention of any problems concerning changes in Highway and Police guidelines.

How “unhealthy” is this (West Bromwich St George’s Day March – a largely English event)

YS0TMzcdZXU

How about this (Notting Hill Carnival – a largely Afro-Caribbean event)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7zTc5U2a-U

Or this (a largely Muslim event)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97hyDRjdXCE

Thorum
02-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks BP for the flesh out on the story. Y'know, sometimes it all just seems futile. As if the war is lost without a shot. As if no one cares............This forum helps keep up the spirit of things and my blog helps to vent my rage but it is hard when I just sit and think at the end of the day that it is all for naught. The centuries of bloodshed to preserve and form Europe (and North America) is being washed away by an insipid invasion.........with barely a whimper. I know, depressing.

Freomæg
02-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Everyone else can have their communities but for New Labour’s multi-cultural plans to ultimately succeed then it essential for the English to become nothing more than a soulless mish-mash of nothingness. The reason for this because we are the ones who are giving and everyone else is taking. Everyone else are the winners and we are the losers.
[...]
People without a strong sense of their own community are far easier to control and control is what New Labour are all about.
EXACTLY! This is absolute crux of the matter. Talk about getting to the root of the issue.

Brynhild
02-19-2009, 10:49 AM
It's a cruel world indeed if you're no longer allowed to uphold nationalist pride and patriotism for your own country.

Osweo
02-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Heh, she wrote back to my rude letter:

You Sir, should not believe utter tosh and check your facts before unloading your rants on me.

The press release from Sandwell gives the facts, whilst some papers would prefer to present an anti-english hysteria, just so they can claim to have saved the day.

I am not cancelling anything, I am not anti-St George, Anti-English, the whole thing is just whipped up hysteria which appears to make people feel better by venting their spleen against me.

I have been threatened physically, find myself on 'face book' with people saying they would spit on me if they met me and some of the most vile anonymous mail. This is extraordinary. Can't people check out the facts of something rather than herding like a load of numbskulls to the tabloids tune!

You don't live in this area, probably know nothing about the area, yet seek to insult me on the basis of stupid gossip, often derived from extremists websites and chat rooms :confused:;) and tabloid headlines!.

As you say there is no point in discussing matters further.

Yvonne

If you can't stand the heat, as they say, keep out of the kitchen... :p

Freomæg
02-23-2009, 12:10 PM
I have been threatened physically, find myself on 'face book' with people saying they would spit on me if they met me and some of the most vile anonymous mail.
I must admit, I find this a little regrettable. Verbal insults and brute force doesn't really do the patriot's cause much good. Other than that, I'm overjoyed at how widespread the response appears to have been.

Go Oswiu! :thumb001:

Osweo
02-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Go Oswiu! :thumb001:
:D But I almost feel a bit bad about it! :embarrassed
She's probably some poor deluded fool who thinks she's in politics to help 'the people' in whatever ill-thought-out sense she interprets that, and this has all blown in her face! That said, I think it's still important that people in executive positions should worry more about pissing the English people off on such matters. In that sense, her possible coming nervous breakdown serves a purpose...

Do write to your MPs and so on, it is worth doing. And if you do it thru websites like this
http://www.writetothem.com/
their response rate is kept track of, and they daren't ignore too many people. You might hope that the sheer hassle of being a Multikultist, rather than their ethnic conscience, might hold back the radicals a little...

Freomæg
02-23-2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.writetothem.com/
their response rate is kept track of, and they daren't ignore too many people.
Yes, I used this to write to Lord Ahmed regarding the screening of Fitna. I was as polite as can be, demanded a reply and yet nothing. I made sure to mark down that I received no response. I remember someone mentioned that he was saving all the emails he'd received over the issue to hand over to the police as evidence :confused:. Idiot.