PDA

View Full Version : The Face of Islam in North America: What does it look like in your city/community?

Aemma
02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Well as I have discussed in another thread, the face of Islam in North America appears to be quite different to me than that which our European friends live with daily. Across the pond here, we hear of the incredible negative impact that the PC and multicult agenda has had and continues to have on our brothers and sisters in Europe. However, it seems as though our reality here is quite a bit different than the one experienced in Europe. For instance where I live, the face of Islam is recognisable of course but not in-your-face...yet. But as I stated in my previous post, this just might be due to the fact that I live where I live...Ottawa which is a very conservative and still very Northern European city by casual appearances at any rate.

My question is geared towards my fellow North Americans here: what is the face of Islam in your city/community? Has it reached blatant in-your-face proportions or is it hardly noticeable? Where does your reality fall within this spectrum?

Cheers for now!...Aemma

Loyalist
02-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Muslim infiltration of my own city isn't quite as bad as the most extreme cases I've seen in Europe, but it is noticeable. There are two mosques within a ten minute drive of my house, and at least half a dozen that I know of scattered throughout the city. Islamic and/or Middle Eastern-themed grocery stores are also becoming commonplace. Restaurants, even fast food chains, are increasingly introducing "halal" items to their menus, some going as far as to display "halal only" signs in their windows. On a more general level, one cannot visit a shopping mall or walk down any given street without seeing hordes of Muslim women in hijabs or whole body coverings, invariably followed by an army of children. Most are employed in low-paying, unskilled professions; taxi drivers, convenience store proprietors, etc. Consequently, they are highly visible, and many also rely on some form of social assistance.

It certainly doesn't help that our publicly-funded, national broadcaster's flagship show is this:

http://i42.tinypic.com/av368k.jpg

Electronic God-Man
02-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Most "Muslims" around this area are Black Muslims. I'm not sure that they even really count as muslims. It's hilarious to see black girls in full body coverings speaking ebonics and bitching each other out just like their non-muslim friends.

It's an incredibly racialized version of Islam. They don't care about Allah, only about Whitey.

Æmeric
02-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Most Muslims in the US are from the professional & entrepreneurial classes of the South Asian & the Middle East. I have never seen anyone in full burkha but have seen many Muslim women wearing headscarves.

In recent years there have been poor Muslims from the Eastern Horn of Africa resettled in the US, resettled here by the US State Department. I've seen a few of them in Arizona, very alien looking. Negro in race but different from the US Negroes. The women wore long skirts, long sleeved blouses & scarves covering their heads. For some reason several of them were working on the cleaning crews at Sky Harbor Int'l Airport in Phoenix. These refugees are the beginnings of America's own poor Muslim underclass.

It's hard to say how many Muslims are in the US. I've heard the figure 7 -million but I think that is too high. It probably includes Negroes who converted because they like the names.

Birka
02-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Here in rural Pennsylvania, not many around at all. The only I know of are medical doctors who have been here for many years. Altoona has a "mosque" if that's what you want to call a very small run down house. Couldn't hold more than 20 or so, but I have no idea of the total number.

SPQR
02-13-2009, 12:32 AM
heh, muslims here in rural Arizona only own motels. I think I have 3 in my town. The face of Islam is a ski-mask and an AK47 seen on a TV, thats about it.

Jägerstaffel
02-13-2009, 12:46 AM
I've never seen a turban/burka muslim.

The only muslims I've seen tend to be the secular ones that immigrated to get a job - and they tend to be Asian rather than Arabic. Less 'in your face' I suppose and more likely to have that asian deference-politeness rather than the explosive personalities the Arabs have.

Although I get to talk to plenty of the 'right off the boat' Arab muslims in Northern Virginia on the phone. Hooray!

Gooding
02-13-2009, 02:43 AM
There are plenty of Arabic,Pakistani and Farsi Muslims in Northern Virginia.They tend,in my experience, to be quite private.Fairfax has the largest mosque in Northern Virginia, while Falls Church has the largest synagogue.Around two o'clock on Fridays, the sidewalks get congested with Muslims walking to mosque and a couple of streets have crossing guards directing traffic so they can go to their service.

Jägerstaffel
02-13-2009, 02:45 AM
Yeah I hate dealing with Fairfax.
What a hellhole.

Gooding
02-13-2009, 02:52 AM
It's way too close to D.C. for my taste.

SwordoftheVistula
02-13-2009, 04:04 PM
The face of Islam here is Muhammad Mosque #13, a Nation of Islam mosque, apparently one of the earlier/more established ones since it has a low number, and periodic target of arson attacks. All of the members are descended from slaves imported by the South in the 18th and 19th century, the only immigrant derived populations here are a large Puerto Rican population and some Vietnamese (who still fly the South Vietnamese flag). No arabic/turkish/iranian/pakistani immigrants here.

Stegura
02-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Jagerzen, and Gooding! You're all from NOVA! So is Lenny! So am I! It seems like people from Northern Virginia are overrepresented here at the Apricity!

Yeah I hate dealing with Fairfax.
What a hellhole.

Hence why I moved out of Fairfax County back in 2005! ;)

Jägerstaffel
02-14-2009, 02:01 PM
I have a feeling that being exposed to such a multicultural environment like NOVA brings those of us who oppose it together.

Gooding
02-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Considering the way things are up here, it's always nice to know that there is a place where we can freely express our views:D

Lady L
02-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Luckily there aren't really any Muslims in this part of the South...;) There are how I have mentioned before a few folks from India owning motels/gas stations ...:rolleyes: ...

I did see some women Arabs-or whatever they are at Wal-Mart once in Middle Tn...I had rode w/ my mom and she had went in the store while I sat in the car...2 women pulled up and parked beside me while she was gone, they got out and had their faces covered and just looked crazy in that setting - anyway, when the one opened her car door it hit my door...:eek: not to mention it was a new car- I was quite younger and I wasn't sure what to do- I just gave them a nasty look and watched as they went on and said nothing as it didn't even happen!!! :mad: Of course, I'm sure they couldn't of spoken English anyhow to apologize but still...they could of made a gesture...something....:rolleyes: I waited til they walked off and got out and looked-thank god it left no marks cause my mother would have went berserk ..;)

...I wish I had of cussed them out now...but at the time they were kinda scary looking...:wink

SPQR
02-15-2009, 06:18 AM
...I wish I had of cussed them out now...but at the time they were kinda scary looking...:wink

lol, Ninjas :eek:

Revenant
02-15-2009, 06:31 AM
Just asking, but are beheadings common in western New York? I used to spend a lot of time in that neck of the woods and I don't remember decapitation as a routine form of murder. Yet the killing of Aasiya Hassan seems to have elicited a very muted response.

When poor Mrs Hassan's husband launched his TV network to counter negative stereotypes of Muslims, he had no difficulty generating column inches, as far afield as The Columbus Dispatch, The Detroit Free Press, The San Jose Mercury News, Variety, NBC News, the Voice of America and the Canadian Press. The Rochester Democrat & Chronicle put the couple on the front page under the headline "Infant TV Network Unveils The Face Of Muslim News".

But, when Muzzammil Hassan kills his wife and "the face of Muslim news" is unveiled rather more literally, detached from her corpse at his TV studios, it's all he can do to make the local press - page 26 of Newsday, plus The Buffalo News, and a very oddly angled piece in the usually gung-ho New York Post, "Buffalo Beheading: Money Woe Spurred Slay".

Oh, really? He beheaded her for some goofy clause in the insurance policy? Not exactly:

An upstate TV exec who set up a channel promoting Muslims as peace-loving people was stressed about his failing business in the days before he allegedly chopped off his estranged wife's head, a friend of the couple said today.

Ah.

"He was worried about the station's future," said Dr. Khalid Qazi, a friend of the couple and president of the Muslim Public Affairs Council of Western New York, who last spoke to the Hassans a week ago...

"Domestic violence is despicable, and Islam condones it in no way whatever," he said.

"Murders are being committed in the US every day by people of all faiths."

Well, maybe. But for sheer news value you'd think this one might stand out. Look at this picture. That's the very definition of "moderate Muslim". Look at the late Aasiya Hassan, beautifully coiffed, glossy-lipped. On countless occasions since 9/11, I've found myself at lunch or dinner in New York, London, Washington, Paris or some other western city, sitting next to a modern Muslim woman like Mrs Hassan telling me how horrified she is at how hijabs and burqas, honor killings and genital mutilation, forced cousin marriages and the disproportionate number of Muslim wives in European battered women's shelters, how all these have come to define Muslim womanhood in the 21st century. Yet Aasiya Hassan ended up no differently - all because her husband's TV network had a cashflow problem?

The media's lack of curiosity is in marked contrast to their willingness to propagandize for the launch of Mr Hassan's station. It also helps explain why the US newspaper business is dying.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YWVlZDFkN2RmOGE1YWMzMmY5YjBiZThkYTIxN2Q5ZDU=

Ah, way to go countering those negative stereotypes. :rolleyes: The Irony.

Just wondering how much TV news coverage has this been getting up there?.

(hope this isn't off topic)

Aemma
02-15-2009, 02:29 PM
http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YWVlZDFkN2RmOGE1YWMzMmY5YjBiZThkYTIxN2Q5ZDU=

Ah, way to go countering those negative stereotypes. :rolleyes: The Irony.

Just wondering how much TV news coverage has this been getting up there?.

(hope this isn't off topic)

This was a great addition Revenant. Thank you. I hadn't heard of this at all actually. But that's probably just me not having been in the loop.

Huh...ya religion of peace.... :mad:

Cheers Revenant!...Aemma

Ulf
02-15-2009, 05:15 PM
No Muslims here. But I am in the middle of nowhere. I'm positive there are a few Muslims in the two nearest cities, but I rarely ever venture there. Most minorities don't like coming out this way, except for the Mexicans, they're everywhere.

Atlas
02-15-2009, 06:15 PM
My small experience with Muslims in North America has been a relatively good one, especially with arabs taxi driver in NYC : "Omg your french ? Great country thank you for the support during Iraq war" lol never told them that this war hasn't bothered me much at the time.

With Canadian Muslims, no problem either, pretty well integrated and educated people I have met from Tunisia, Algeria and Marroco.

I think America is willing to integrate "good" Muslims, not the dumb arabs we have in Europe. Though I'm curious to see how will behave the second and third generation of today's Muslim in America and Canada.

Æmeric
02-15-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't want to integrate them, I want to repatriate them. I'm sure most of our Muslims are quite a better lot then what you have in France, the poorer Muslims not being able to make their way here, unless they are assisted by the State Department or other refugee organizations. I'm certain the Latin Americans in Europe are probably a nice group of people compared to the ones we have in the US - better educated, more affluent, but still....:(

And they are still Muslims. The US is still a much more religious society - meaning Chrisitan, though most will say Judeo-Chrisitian to keep the Jews from whining.