PDA

View Full Version : NYC marriage bureau rebuffs same-sex couples

Lady L
02-12-2009, 03:56 PM
NEW YORK – Hundreds of same-sex couples seeking to wed were turned away from the city marriage bureau Thursday, part of a nationwide protest aimed at recent decisions restricting the right to marry to a man and a woman.
Wearing signs that said "Just Not Married," the activists were part of a wave of demonstrations expected throughout the day at marriage bureaus or county clerks' offices from New York City to California, in communities large and small.
Matt Flanders, 37, of Brooklyn, participated with his 29-year-old partner, Will Jennings. Both wore gold engagement rings.
When he was denied a marriage license, Flanders said he told officials: "'I should be able to marry the person I love.' And they said, `We can only offer you a domestic partnership.'"
Micah Stanek, 23, stood outside in a floor-length wedding veil after he and his partner were rejected. He said he moved to New York from San Francisco after gay marriage was outlawed in California on the November ballot.
"New York is especially important because the rest of the country follows what happens here," he said.
Outside the bureau, protesters sang "Love and Marriage" and chanted, "What do we want? Marriage! When do we want it? Now!" One man held a sign that read: "Love your husband? Let me love mine!"
The protests, part of the 12th annual Freedom to Marry Week, were considered more important than ever this year because they come in the wake of California's Proposition 8 vote that overturned gay marriage and just as New Yorkers look to their state Senate to pass legislation that could lead to legalized gay marriage.
Some of the largest gatherings were expected in California, where the state's Supreme Court will hear oral arguments March 5 over whether to restore California same-sex marriages. The court could render a decision as early as June.
In New York, same-sex marriages cannot legally be performed. However, Gov. David Paterson has issued a directive requiring that all state agencies recognize same-sex marriages performed in other jurisdictions.
Senate Majority Leader Malcolm A. Smith has suggested that he and his fellow Democrats lack the votes needed to pass a same-sex marriage bill this year. However, Smith said several days ago that he and fellow legislators are "committed to pursuing its passage."
The line at the New York City's marriage bureau also included straight engaged couples.
"They didn't bother us on our big day and they have a right to protest," said King Lau, 30, as his bride-to-be, Cheryl Zhang, 25, nodded in agreement.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090212/ap_on_re_us/freedom_to_marry;_ylt=AhIPN1B9PYMQnllkdiWCL4Rn.3QA ;_ylu=X3oDMTE5OWYycGJzBHBvcwM2BHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3Rv cmllcwRzbGsDbnljbWFycmlhZ2Vi

Any opinions on same sex marriage..?

Psychonaut
02-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Any opinions on same sex marriage..?

If it were put up for a vote in my municipality I would always vote in favor of defining marriage as a union between one man and one woman. However, I would probably also vote in favor of enabling civil unions between same sex couples.

Brynhild
02-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Anything else just cheapens that definition.

Jägerstaffel
02-13-2009, 02:01 AM
I don't think relationships of any sort - whether they be good or bad - should be mandated by government.

Lady L
02-13-2009, 02:44 AM
I also agree marriage is for a man and a women. I feel giving them legalization for marriage is not much different than giving Muslims a parade in England...:rolleyes: it all equals the same negative outcome suggesting that it is OK...that it is acceptable. In my view, it is not. Maybe this sounds condescending but I don't want to take away gays happiness ( while saying I am against their marriage would be taking away happiness ) I feel they are entitled to happiness in their lives but I don't feel they are entitled to the same rights as a man/woman marriage. That doesn't mean I think they should all just fall off the face of the earth, or that I wish them harm because I don't. I think some things just need to stay old fashioned no matter what is considered " hip " as times change. :wink

Vulpix
02-13-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't understand why gays should feel the need to marry. Civil union maybe, but marriage :confused::rolleyes2:?

Treffie
02-13-2009, 08:42 AM
I don't understand why gays should feel the need to marry. Civil union maybe, but marriage :confused::rolleyes2:?

I agree, if gays want to ensure that any possessions are inherited and pension rights are guaranteed after the death of a partner, then I'm in agreement, but why marriage?:confused:

SwordoftheVistula
02-13-2009, 02:50 PM
if gays want to ensure that any possessions are inherited

Get a will! Like everyone else!

and pension rights are guaranteed after the death of a partner

Not needed at all. Gays are not stay at home parents. The only reason pension/death benefits are given for a spouse is because in the past women would not work and instead stay at home and take care of the kids. Gays don't have any excuse for not getting their own job/benefits.

Æmeric
02-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't even believe in civil union for gays. The intestacy rights automatically granted to spouses could be taken care of by writing a will. Want you partner to be able to visit you in the hospital & make desicions for you if you are incapacitated, sign a power of attorney giving them that right. Name your partner as the beneficiary on your insurance policies. Own realestate together, have the title in joint tenancy. It would be a lot more simpler then trying to change the concept of marriage, which has always been male-female, or male-females & in a few obscure societies males-female. But never male-male or female-female.

I've said this before, laws that do not allow same-sex marriage are not discriminatory. They apply to everyone. Gays & Lesbians are allowed to marry but are held to the same standards of who they can marry as anyone else. This includes persons of age & of sound mind, not already married & to one person at a time (in Western societies), not within certain degrees of consanguinity & to someone of the opposite sex.

Interracial marriage use to be illegal in most of the US before the Supreme Court's 1967 ruling in Loving v. Virginia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia) I fear there is a good chance that the Supreme Court may go ahead & legalize gay maariage in the US. So far this has been the case in Massachusetts, Connecticut & California - though California voters overturned the decision but it is still being fought in the courts.

Revenant
02-13-2009, 05:47 PM
It seems like many other minorities gays are only happy once they infiltrate and ruin. Marriage I think doesn't really mean anything to them they just want to add it to their list of normal traditional institutions that they've soiled.

SwordoftheVistula
02-13-2009, 09:47 PM
What about Russian/Raccoon relationships? Roughly the same intellectual capacity and propensity towards stealing, perhaps a match made in heaven unless the raccoon decides to remove certain body parts from the russian:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2172612.ece

A FEISTY raccoon has bitten off a pervert’s PENIS as he was trying to rape the animal.

Alexander Kirilov, 44, was on a drunken weekend with pals when he leapt on the terrified – but toothy – fur ball.

“When I saw the raccoon I thought I’d have some fun,” he told stunned casualty surgeons in Moscow.

Now Russian plastic surgeons are trying to restore his mangled manhood.

“He’s been told they can get things working again but they can’t sew back on what the raccoon bit off," said a pal.

“That’s gone forever so there isn’t going to be much for them to work with."