PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Arabia's crown prince just declared war on the clerics

Lavrentis
10-25-2017, 07:42 PM
Saudi Arabian heir to the crown has declared war on radical clerics, he also said "We are returning to what we were before, a country of moderate Islam that is open to all religions and to the world.

On Tuesday, Saudi Arabia's crown prince declared war on the clerical elite who have long shaped Saudi society.

The man who will be Saudi Arabia's next king, Mohammed bin Salman, did so by delivering an unequivocal message, "We are returning to what we were before, a country of moderate Islam that is open to all religions and to the world." The crown prince continued, "We will not waste 30 years of our lives wasting time dealing with extremist ideas. We will destroy them today," he said.

Yet, it isn't just what bin Salman said that matters, but also where and to who he said it.

After all, he said it to an unveiled Fox Business host, Maria Bartiromo, at an event designed to attract foreign entrepreneurial investment. Both those considerations — the unveiled American reporter sharing a royal stage on Saudi soil and the endorsement of capitalist dynamism — are incompatible with the worldview of the Saudi Ulama, or clerical elite.

By his actions, Mohammed bin Salman isn't just throwing down the gauntlet to the Ulama; he's goading them.

Still, while this is just the latest step in bin Salman's ongoing effort to advance women's rights and economic diversification, his Tuesday appearance was staggering for another reason. Because bin Salman pledged that Saudi Arabia will now build a new mega-city named Neom, stretching onto Egyptian and Jordanian soil. According to bin Salman, Neom "will be backed by more than $500 billion over the coming years by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia ... as well as international investors."
We're also told that Neom will adopt "an idyllic lifestyle paired with excellent economic opportunities that surpass that of any other metropolis."

In my opinion, however, this vision for the future is antithetical to that of the Ulama. They believe that Saudi Arabia's future depends on its continued adherence to Wahhabi traditionalism and dominant religious authority over society. Moreover, the clerics have long believed that their position was assured as long as they continued to support the unilateral right of the House of Saud to rule the desert kingdom.

Mohammed bin Salman just detonated that understanding.

But now, the hard work begins.

Facing inevitable pushback from the clerics, bin Salman will have to prepare for civil instability and a possible rising tide of terrorism. Still, aside from countering those actually involved in violent conspiracies, bin Salman shouldn't overreact to his public critics. Instead, the crown prince should focus on displacing the Ulama's power by empowering young Saudis (well more than 50 percent of the Saudi population is under 30 years old) in the knowledge that his plans will improve their lives.

Regardless, this is good news for the United States. Unless Saudi Arabia's leaders pursue bold reforms, declining oil prices and a young population will mean a cauldron of terrorism.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/saudi-arabias-crown-prince-just-declared-war-on-the-clerics/article/2638480

Lucia
10-25-2017, 07:46 PM
About time! :)

StonyArabia
10-25-2017, 07:47 PM
It's good to see that Arabia is actually progressing

Wadaad
10-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Saudi will never be another Dubai.

What the prince man's is he wants Saudi to go back to where it was 1950s-1979. Saudi was a moderate.voice,against nasserism, Muslim brotherhood, communism etc.

Wahabism went film throttle only after Iran tried to export it's islamic Revolution and the invasion of Afghanistan by USSR

finally this is just PR marketing for the western consumption, unless ibn Salman wants to be killed

Lavrentis
10-25-2017, 07:48 PM
It's good to see that Arabia is actually progressing

Do you live in Saudi Arabia or?

Loki
10-25-2017, 07:48 PM
Good news for the whole world. :)

Lavrentis
10-25-2017, 07:49 PM
finally this is just PR marketing for the western consumption, unless ibn Salman wants to be killed

The top comment about this news yesterday on Reddit was a guy that said that he's afraid that the heir might be assasinated. I hope not

Loki
10-25-2017, 07:51 PM

Well, this is probably what the majority of Saudis want. Never will a majority of any population be pro-extremist. He should just stick to his guns, history will be on his side if he pulls this through. He will have to be hard on extremists, though, and I reckon he will be.

Wadaad
10-25-2017, 07:53 PM
The top comment about this news yesterday on Reddit was a guy that said that he's afraid that the heir might be assasinated. I hope not

You don't know the slickness of the Al Saud. This won't be the first.time they purged their cleics after they overstay their welcome

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikhwan_Revolt

The last time a horse led charge against automatic assault rifles

StonyArabia
10-25-2017, 07:57 PM
Do you live in Saudi Arabia or?

No I live in Canada, but I would like to see Arabia progress and improve it's image on the world. Because I am of Arabian descent, being a Bedouin we see Arabia as our homeland.

Óttar
10-25-2017, 08:12 PM
Good news for the whole world. :)
Indeed. I'll believe it when I see it.

The first thing I thought when I read this was he'll probably be assassinated.

wvwvw
10-25-2017, 08:29 PM
So Saudi Arabia will “return” to “moderate Islam”

Does this mean that Saudi Arabia will issue an open declaration, decree or fatwa that there are to be no more death penalties for atheism and apostasy in the kingdom?

The reason for this deceptive manipulation is to shore up “respect” for the Saudi regime in the West, and to expand Saudi Arabia’s regional hegemony as the kingdom maneuvers against its primary foe, Iran. The Crown Prince said that the primary objective of the “Iranian regime is to reach the focal point of Muslims [Mecca] and we will not wait until the fight is inside Saudi Arabia and we will work so that the battle is on their side, inside Iran, not in Saudi Arabia.”

Saudi Arabia has been “America’s closest Arab ally in the Middle East,” and has received “massive U.S. military aid and has long influenced American foreign policy….An added bonus for the Saudis has been America’s estrangement from Iran since the 1979 revolution.”

To further demonstrate the absurdity of the Crown Prince’s intellectually insulting declaration that Saudi Arabia is a “moderate” state, consider that Saudi Arabian officials recently arrested 27 Christians — among them several women and children — for the crime of “conducting Christian prayers” and being “in possession of Bibles.”

"Saudi Arabia: 27 Christians arrested and deported for “conducting Christian prayers” in private residence

Saudi Arabian officials recently arrested 27 Christians—among them several women and children—for the crime of “conducting Christian prayers” and being “in possession of Bibles,” reports Arab media.

The group of Christians, most if not all of whom were Lebanese nationals, were celebrating a Virgin Mary feast day when authorities stormed their residence and arrested them.

Authorities, the dreaded “religious police,” proceeded to strip them of their visas and deport them back to Lebanon. Ironically, this is a much better fate than that suffered by other Christians caught engaging in “acts of Christianity” in the Islamic kingdom, including torture and long jail sentences."
http://www.lebanonsyrianews.com/59068/

Another sobering piece of information: more citizens of Saudi Arabia have joined the Islamic State than from any other country. Saudi Arabia has been at the forefront of global jihad initiatives, further belying its smooth public relations campaign and attempt to appear “moderate” in the Western media.

Insuperable
10-25-2017, 08:32 PM
Rest in peace Saudi Arabia's crown prince.

Wadaad
10-25-2017, 08:33 PM
Is moderate Muslim synonymous with fake Muslim or ex Muslim?

They are moderate by their terms and relative to their experiences and surrounding.

Allowing atheism is not moderate Islam, it is apostady

Lavrentis
10-25-2017, 08:33 PM
Rest in peace Saudi Arabia's crown prince.

I hope not. People like him can begin a new era for their countries

Lucia
10-25-2017, 08:38 PM

They are moderate by their terms and relative to their experiences and surrounding.

What is your opinion on racism among Muslims?
I have noticed racism in your posts.

wvwvw
10-25-2017, 08:49 PM

Which is why moderate Islam is an oxymoron. There can be no moderate Islam just like there can be no moderate beheadings or moderate terrorism. Islam cannot be moderate simply because its founder was a fundamentalist. Radical Islam and Islam are not two different entities. Islam is radical.

Nor can there be any change in Islam. That is what Muhammad has warned against in many parts of the Quran.

(Quran .2:85)Do you, then, believe in some parts of the divine writ and deny the truth of other parts? What, then, could be the reward of those among you who do such things but ignominy in the life of this world? And, on the Day of Resurrection, they will be consigned to most grievous suffering. For God is not unmindful of what you do.

(Quran 6:114) “Am I, then, to look unto anyone but God for judgment [as to what is right and wrong], when it is He who has bestowed upon you from on high this divine writ, clearly spelling out the truth?”

There are individuals in the west that claim to be moderate Muslims and even against the Sharia. Sharia is Islam. You cannot be a Muslims and be against the Sharia. It is like saying I am a Christian but against the Bible.

MissMischief
10-25-2017, 10:38 PM
Says the prince who is responsible for bombing Yemen with the result of killing hundreds of children, thousands of civilians and causing the outbreak of cholera...

zhaoyun
10-25-2017, 10:42 PM
Interesting. Let's see where this goes.

Sarmatian
10-26-2017, 07:06 AM
I'm wondering how much influence recent visit to Russia had on this decision. Did Putin offered Saudi's an offer they couldn't refuse?

Bosniensis
10-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Saudi Barbaria ruled by incapable beduins.

SardiniaAtlantis
10-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Im hungry... :(

Megadorian
10-26-2017, 08:55 AM
They don't "owe" any change to the global community way I see it, the country has a small diaspora and is not relying on any type of humanitarian aids

More and more countries opening to the globalistic lifestyle is not neccesarily a good thing, many may loose lots of their customs and identity in the process and the world becomes less and less diverse by the day

Lavrentis
10-26-2017, 12:29 PM
They don't "owe" any change to the global community way I see it, the country has a small diaspora and is not relying on any type of humanitarian aids

More and more countries opening to the globalistic lifestyle is not neccesarily a good thing, many may loose lots of their customs and identity in the process and the world becomes less and less diverse by the day

People there get beheaded for being gay. Also Saudi Arabia is the biggest exporter of ISIS fighters. You didn't know this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghazi
10-26-2017, 12:42 PM
People there get beheaded for being gay. Also Saudi Arabia is the biggest exporter of ISIS fighters. You didn't know this?

it's Tunisia

http://southfront.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/CLK.jpg?x44962

Lavrentis
10-26-2017, 12:46 PM
it's Tunisia

http://southfront.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/CLK.jpg?x44962

Thanks for this, I always thought that it was Saudi Arabia but turns out I'm wrong