PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Amsterdam

Queen B
10-26-2017, 08:52 AM
Hello ! I'm going to a trip to Amsterdam, and I want to explore it (obviously). Can some native suggest what to do, except from the classic touristy things?
(Total stay of 4 days).

Thank you !

Queen B
10-31-2017, 08:03 AM
Βump?

Kamal900
10-31-2017, 08:17 AM
I've heard Friesland is the best region in the country for those looking for a little R&R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bto5xs1p800

I want to go there and try out their delicious cheeses and beer. I heard they're the best in the country.

oszkar07
10-31-2017, 09:13 AM
Hello ! I'm going to a trip to Amsterdam, and I want to explore it (obviously). Can some native suggest what to do, except from the classic touristy things?
(Total stay of 4 days).

Thank you !

I spent close to 2 months there but that was around 15 years ago.
Its a very interesting place.
In centre of Amsterdam from Central Station take the walk down Damrak , its like the main street and has many eateries, everything from expensive restaurants to simple cheaper fast food options and coffee shops , ...I mean real drinking coffee shops but probably has the smoking ones too although probably less so on Damrak as it is mostly general Tourist street.
On Damrak you can see the Queens Palace and there are many interesting small side streets to wonder down.
Also there is several very good museums in Amsterdam like the Rijks museum etc.
Amsterdam is a very good city to see by bicycle, you can rent a bike from Central Station and the city is very bicycle friendly.
The other thing to do is to take a canal ride.
I found the Dutch food a bit plain and boring but there is no shortage of other food options and if you like beer there is of course the Heinekan brewery tour.
Otherwise Amsterdam is very much a party city, expect to see loads of foreign tourist's taking advantage of the "legal soft drug laws" and of course the "sex tourism".
When I was there the area that had good night clubs was "Leidsplen".
Its a fun city , Enjoy !

Queen B
10-31-2017, 09:22 AM
I spent close to 2 months there but that was around 15 years ago.
Its a very interesting place.
In centre of Amsterdam from Central Station take the walk down Damrak , its like the main street and has many eateries, everything from expensive restaurants to simple cheaper fast food options and coffee shops , ...I mean real drinking coffee shops but probably has the smoking ones too although probably less so on Damrak as it is mostly general Tourist street.
On Damrak you can see the Queens Palace and there are many interesting small side streets to wonder down.
Also there is several very good museums in Amsterdam like the Rijks museum etc.
Amsterdam is a very good city to see by bicycle, you can rent a bike from Central Station and the city is very bicycle friendly.
The other thing to do is to take a canal ride.
I found the Dutch food a bit plain and boring but there is no shortage of other food options and if you like beer there is of course the Heinekan brewery tour.
Otherwise Amsterdam is very much a party city, expect to see loads of foreign tourist's taking advantage of the "legal soft drug laws" and of course the "sex tourism".
When I was there the area that had good night clubs was "Leidsplen".
Its a fun city , Enjoy !

Ι'm not interested in drugs or sex tourism, so these are out of the question. I have already plans for the Heineken tour, a canal ride, and most likely 1 day will be to Giethoorn.
I just wanted to see if there is something else to see, that isn't popular among tourists, but with locals.

BTw, McCree, I'm visiting Amsterdam. This place looks nice, but hotel is booked already - in Amsterdam

Dandelion
10-31-2017, 09:27 AM
Alas, only been there once for one day and with school. I believe Alessio lives there, though.

oszkar07
10-31-2017, 09:39 AM
Ι'm not interested in drugs or sex tourism, so these are out of the question. I have already plans for the Heineken tour, a canal ride, and most likely 1 day will be to Giethoorn.
I just wanted to see if there is something else to see, that isn't popular among tourists, but with locals.

BTw, McCree, I'm visiting Amsterdam. This place looks nice, but hotel is booked already - in Amsterdam

Didnt think you was interested in that stuff, I just meant you will see a lot of it, its pretty common and mostly tourists partaking.
Other stuff... Vondelpark is probably worth a walk around , if you only have 4 days sounds like your itinery so far is quite appropriate.
I was there in late April, May/June and the cooler days/winds could be quite biting cold, think will be coldish this time of year... but for that there is always the Dutch Gin =Jenever
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/c/623/jenever

The Lawspeaker
10-11-2018, 10:48 PM
First of all: I hope you enjoyed your trip. Second: Amsterdam is a bit overrated. Everybody goes there and I have been to places where you can't even order in Dutch, plus your pay an arm and a leg for things. On your second trip, may I suggest Brabant or, otherwise, the old Hanseatic towns alongside the IJssel ? Deventer and Zwolle are drop dead gorgeous. Harderwijk, with its marine park, is also quite interesting. Plus: you pay less for the pleasure.