PDA

View Full Version : Anceint Illyrian names that somehow survived

Bosniensis
10-26-2017, 09:02 PM
Due to Slavic influence Illyrian names have mostly diminished and replaced with Slavic ones, but some names actually do exist.

1. Bardyllis (Bardaš) still rarely used.
2. Arsa (Arsa Jovanović)
3. Bato (used as a common nickname among the Serbs)
4. Tito (nickname and a name used by Tito)
5. Grabos (Illyrian name, but there are many Grabos Surnames)
6. Ziraeus (used as slavicized last name Zirić)

There are many many more, mostly extinct... do Albanians have ancient names?

Kelmendasi
10-26-2017, 09:03 PM
Due to Slavic influence Illyrian names have mostly diminished and replaced with Slavic ones, but some names actually do exist.

2. Arsa (Arsa Jovanović)

Yes Albanians do use Illyrian names but they aren't rare like in Serbia, Bosnia etc

Bosniensis
10-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Yes Albanians do use Illyrian names but they aren't rare like in Serbia, Bosnia etc

That's why I've created this thread, to hear Albanian names.

Kelmendasi
10-26-2017, 09:11 PM
That's why I've created this thread, to hear Albanian names.
Dardan, Ardian, Bardhyll, Gentian, Gentiana, Gentius, Teuta, Agron, Ajola, Arber, Arben, Asti, Bledar, Dition, Gent etc

Aenar
10-26-2017, 09:11 PM

Surname of Bosniensis is Zirić and he think that Zirić is slavized version of Ziraeus. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Bosniensis is obsessed with Romans. :coffee:

Bosniensis
10-26-2017, 09:15 PM
Dardan, Ardian, Bardhyll, Gentian, Gentiana, Gentius, Teuta, Agron, Ajola, Arber, Arben, Asti, Bledar, Dition, Gent etc

I had a friend from Albania who used to come and visit me, he was named Ardian... so that's ancient Illyrian, I taught it's Latin or something.

Laberia
10-26-2017, 09:16 PM

2. Arsa (Arsa Jovanović)

These are names used in ex-Yugoslavia during the last century. I doubt that those names were used during the history.

Kelmendasi
10-26-2017, 09:19 PM
I had a friend from Albania who used to come and visit me, he was named Ardian... so that's ancient Illyrian, I taught it's Latin or something.
Yh, Ardian with the r in front of the d is derived from the Ardiaei tribe although the name Ardiaie itself could be Latin in origin according to some. Common names that I forgot were Ilir and to some extent Taulant

Bosniensis
10-26-2017, 09:20 PM
These are names used in ex-Yugoslavia during the last century. I doubt that those names were used during the history.

My opinion that Illyrian names were used less and less throughout history.

I believe even those mentioned are extinct today or they became something else like Lastname or Nicknames.

Laberia
10-26-2017, 09:20 PM

Bardhyl and Teuta has always been used during the history. Bardhyl is formed by two words, bardh=white and yll=star. Meanwhile the name Teuta was preserved as Tefta.
The other names started to be used during XX century.

Kelmendasi
10-26-2017, 09:22 PM
Bardhyl and Teuta has always been used during the history. Bardhyl is formed by two words, bardh=white and yll=star. Meanwhile the name Teuta was preserved as Tefta.
The other names started to be used during XX century.
Agron probably used as well during history as well as Gentius and it's variations

Bosniensis
10-26-2017, 09:24 PM
Agron probably used as well during history as well as Gentius and it's variations

I've heard many weird names among pre-Islamic populace of Bosnia, I don't know if they are Illyrian or just a Weird Slavic names.. those are extinct as well since
muslims adopted Arabic names, unfortunately.

Laberia
10-26-2017, 09:42 PM
My opinion that Illyrian names were used less and less throughout history.

I believe even those mentioned are extinct today or they became something else like Lastname or Nicknames.
Some old Croatian names have an Illyrian origin: e.g. Licca, Pleto (Illyr. = Liccavus, Pletor). In Albania the surname Lika is used in North and South.

Bosniensis
10-26-2017, 09:49 PM
Some old Croatian names have an Illyrian origin: e.g. Licca, Pleto (Illyr. = Liccavus, Pletor). In Albania the surname Lika is used in North and South.

Yeah something like that, yes.

But not anymore really, names are extinct.

I will check Last Names... cause our last names are also created in a format "Son of" or "of him".

But it's really difficult.

Lek
11-09-2017, 12:53 AM
Bardylis basically from bard / bardh means white in Albanian and Ilyrian , in messapian something similar meant grey , I highly doubt Bardas has anything to do with the name bardylis which was the name of the king of Dardania, this tribe is rather connected to Albanians.

Dardania from Darda / Dardha which means pear

Herr Abubu
11-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Most, if not all, of these names derive from national romantic movements in the Balkans, not from organic inheritance of Illyrian names.

Arjana
11-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Many of the Illyrian names have been used by Albanians for centuries.

Some others were introduced later.

now have you muslim bosnian decided what you are?

After you failed to be Roman, than Illyrian, now you have become thracian?

How ridiculous can a muslim slav like you can be?

Btw, Thracians were weak people, they con conquered by Persians, next subjected by Alexander and taken over without war by Romans.

They were not important in the Roman empire and later on got conqured by builgar turkic tribes and later on slavicised by policies of the bulgar khanate.

Basically this is what modern day Bulgarians are, subjected Thracians who bear a turkic name and speak a slavic language.

Arjana
11-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Illyrians on the other hand had defeated the macedonians for 200 years, almost conquered m,Macedonian kingdom in 360 Bc if not Philip would have not come to power and made a truce with king Bardhyl.

Illyrians also defeated Spartans in every battle.

They helped their keen the Epirots and Phyrro of Epirus found shelter and was raised by King Glauk of Illyrians.

Illyrians fought for several decaded wars with Romans

Illyrians later on, became the military elite of Roman empire and ruled the roman empire from 245 till 395 AD with 29 illyrian emepeors.

Illyrians also formed the eastern roman empire and ruled it for the first 200 years, with Justinian being the most famous.

Illyrians survived as Albanians with their language and customs.

Thracians got invaded by turkic bulgars and slavs and lost their traces and became modern day bulgarians.

Voskos
11-11-2017, 07:38 PM
I always wonder, back then, what languages Illyrians and Greeks communicated in with each other.

Vlatko Vukovic
11-11-2017, 07:41 PM
I am just asking myself, where Illyrians left list of their name (becouse they were not literate), but also Romans didn't write a lot, about their names.

Wrong
11-11-2017, 07:41 PM
I always wonder, back then, what languages Illyrians and Greeks communicated in with each other.
Body language and shekels.

Kelmendasi
11-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Greek most probably

Trilecce
11-11-2017, 08:56 PM

Well greek of course. Just like today.

Herr Abubu
11-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Many of the Illyrian names have been used by Albanians for centuries.

Some others were introduced later.

now have you muslim bosnian decided what you are?

After you failed to be Roman, than Illyrian, now you have become thracian?

How ridiculous can a muslim slav like you can be?

Btw, Thracians were weak people, they con conquered by Persians, next subjected by Alexander and taken over without war by Romans.

They were not important in the Roman empire and later on got conqured by builgar turkic tribes and later on slavicised by policies of the bulgar khanate.

Basically this is what modern day Bulgarians are, subjected Thracians who bear a turkic name and speak a slavic language.

Lol, nope.