PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Senate approves direct rule in Catalonia after regional parliament declared independence

adsız
10-27-2017, 03:01 PM
The Spanish Senate has approved invoking Constitutional Article 155, imposing direct Madrid rule on Catalonia. The move came minutes after the region’s parliament declared independence from Spain.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNJisiBWsAYfBbO.jpg

The move will allow Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and his cabinet to adopt measures to rule Catalonia directly. The measures might include dissolving the Catalan government, assuming direct control of the rogue region’s police force and other steps to limit Barcelona’s autonomy.

Never before used by Madrid, the controversial Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution is effectively the political “nuclear option” for Spain’s central government.

The Spanish Senate’s decision came within an hour of the Catalan parliament voting in favor of starting the “constituent process” to split from Madrid. PM Rajoy met Barcelona’s decision with a vow to restore “legality” in Catalonia, urging all citizens to stay calm.

The ongoing events in Spain appear to be the latest and hottest flashpoint in weeks of political uncertainty following the Catalan October 1 independence referendum, deemed illegal and void by Madrid.

Following the results of the outlawed vote, President of Catalonia Carles Puigdemont announced the unilateral declaration of Catalan independence on October 10 only to suspend it, urging Madrid to engage in dialogue.

However, the central government dismissed the call, demanding Barcelona clarify its status, and threatening to enact Article 155 and suspend Catalan independence.

https://www.rt.com/news/407965-spanish-senate-rule-catalonia/

Bosniensis
10-27-2017, 03:04 PM
WAAAARRRRRRRR

Another Spanish Civil War, it's like introduction to WW3, just like 1936 war was introduction to WW2.

/Conspiracy.

:D

DarkSecret
10-27-2017, 03:10 PM
Yeeeeeee Spain! What kind of democracy is this? Spain must be expelled from EU and we need a Catalonia sub forum. :)

adsız
10-27-2017, 03:10 PM
WAAAARRRRRRRR

Another Spanish Civil War, it's like introduction to WW3, just like 1936 war was introduction to WW2.

/Conspiracy.

:D

Catalans have armed forces/militants?

Btw,

"European Commission declined to comment following Catalan parliament vote - Reuters "

EC prefers "wait and see" before comment.

alnortedelsur
10-27-2017, 03:21 PM
Well done. The Catalan parliament acted against the law. They're cheaters, who had the balls to declare the independence of Catalonia on the basis of an illegal referendum, that was held with the only supervision of pro-independents themselves (like if I do a referendum inside my house with the only supervision of my own family who thinks like me), and where many voters voted up to four times. They deserve to be dissolved.

adsız
10-27-2017, 03:23 PM
The leading states will never allow such thing as independence of any ethnic group in Europe because there are too many of them.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNJyOdVXcAEoPv0.jpg

Kamal900
10-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Well done. The Catalan parliament acted against the law. They're cheaters, who had the balls to declare the independence of Catalonia on the basis of an illegal referendum, that was held with the only supervision of pro-independents themselves (like if I do a referendum inside my house with the only supervision of my own family who thinks like me), and where many voters voted up to four times. They deserve to be dissolved.

Indeed. It was unconstitutional to begin with, and the Spanish government has every right to curb up against the people who are going against the law of the land and so on.

DarkSecret
10-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Yeeeeeee! Who do you think you are! Where is democracy? What happened to the self-determination right of the free peoples of West?! Yeeeeeeeeeeeee!

DarkSecret
10-27-2017, 03:51 PM
Indeed. It was unconstitutional to begin with, and the Spanish government has every right to curb up against the people who are going against the law of the land and so on.

Pfff. Which declaration of independence was constitutional in the first place? They asked Catalans when they were writing a constitution?

DarkSecret
10-27-2017, 03:52 PM
Catalans have armed forces/militants?

Btw,

"European Commission declined to comment following Catalan parliament vote - Reuters "

EC prefers "wait and see" before comment.

Syrian opposition didn't have either. :)

DarkSecret
10-27-2017, 03:55 PM
Will there be a civil war in Spain? Huh? Will there will there? Meh Christians killing Christians nothing new...

MinervaItalica
10-27-2017, 04:17 PM
I really want to see how this will end.

adsız
10-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Syrian opposition didn't have either. :)

Later they were armed by the US and given military training .

Lucia
10-27-2017, 04:55 PM
Oh, how surprising, the European Commission is too lazy to comment just like they were for Yugoslav ex-republics.
Except this time it's an actual EU country in question. :rolleyes:

Incal
10-27-2017, 05:19 PM
They asked Catalans when they were writing a constitution?

Yes they did.

Colonel Frank Grimes
10-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Will there be a civil war in Spain? Huh? Will there will there? Meh Christians killing Christians nothing new...

No, they won't be killing in the streets. We're speaking of a morally evolved people here.

Colonel Frank Grimes
10-27-2017, 05:28 PM
Yeeeeeee Spain! What kind of democracy is this? Spain must be expelled from EU and we need a Catalonia sub forum. :)

It's the type of 'democracy' where a minority of people in Catalunya bully the majority. The last time there was a poll on the question of independence the majority didn't want independence. Puigdemont is attempting to play the only hand he has to avoid falling into the void of political irrelevancy. When your most ardent supporters are calling you a coward for not claiming independence previously and when independence was your goal for years and that is what defines your political career and when Rajoy isn't allowing him any concessions to save face he has to push forward and hope for the best.

DarkSecret
10-27-2017, 05:34 PM
No, they won't be killing in the streets. We're speaking of a morally evolved people here.

We will see I guess...

Laberia
10-27-2017, 05:37 PM
It's the type of 'democracy' where a minority of people in Catalunya bully the majority. The last time there was a poll on the question of independence the majority didn't want independence. Puigdemont is attempting to play the only hand he has to avoid falling into the void of political irrelevancy. When your most ardent supporters are calling you a coward for not claiming independence previously and when independence was your goal for years and that is what defines your political career and when Rajoy isn't allowing him any concessions to save face he has to push forward and hope for the best.

I don't think that the declaration was an emotional reaction because some people called Puigdemont coward. I think that the separatists played perfectly their game. Puigdemont, after his speech in Parliament after the referendum declared, let's give some weeks to the negotiations. When it was clear that negotiations failed they declared the Indipendence.
And i think in this game of nerves, they are the winners, because again the ball is in the field of the Spaniards.

Colonel Frank Grimes
10-27-2017, 05:52 PM
We will see I guess...

And until then one looks at past behavior to predict future behavior. Catalan culture doesn't revolve around violence. Catalans took pride in not supporting violence in the past when under Franco's rule and afterwards. ETA in contrast evolved from a long history of conflict by way of the Carlist Wars even though the Carlist Wars were as far ideologically different to ETA's political beliefs as one could get but much of those 19th century wars were fought in and around the Basque lands and so the use of violence to get what you want became seen as acceptable.

In addition relatively prosperous areas and their populations are rarely keen on political violence.

DarkSecret
10-27-2017, 05:55 PM
And until then one looks at past behavior to predict future behavior. Catalan culture doesn't revolve around violence. Catalans took pride in not supporting violence in the past when under Franco's rule and afterwards. ETA in contrast evolved from a long history of conflict by way of the Carlist Wars even though the Carlist Wars were as far ideologically different to ETA's political beliefs as one could get but much of those 19th century wars were fought in and around the Basque lands and so the use of violence to get what you want became seen as acceptable.

In addition relatively prosperous areas and their populations are rarely keen on political violence.

Don't read me gazel kid. I know what they are... They are brave, anti racist, marxist leninist mashallah people.

Colonel Frank Grimes
10-27-2017, 06:05 PM
I don't think that the declaration was an emotional reaction because some people called Puigdemont coward. I think that the separatists played perfectly their game. Puigdemont, after his speech in Parliament after the referendum declared, let's give some weeks to the negotiations. When it was clear that negotiations failed they declared the Indipendence.
And i think in this game of nerves, they are the winners, because again the ball is in the field of the Spaniards.

I didn't say it was an emotional reaction. It's the only hand he has to play. They didn't just take down the Spanish flag. They took down the EU flag as well, which is amusing. Puigdemont had put his hope in the EU accepting Catalonia from the beginning. He believes now if Catalunya steps out regardless of EU support the EU will be forced to accept Catalunya independence. It's a desperate act. Regions separating from a central government undermines the EU and Catalunya loses a lot economically if it's outside the EU.

Colonel Frank Grimes
10-27-2017, 06:07 PM
Don't read me gazel kid. I know what they are... They are brave, anti racist, marxist leninist mashallah people.

I don't even who you are. I never interacted with you before and if I did I don't remember.

Laberia
10-27-2017, 06:25 PM
I didn't say it was an emotional reaction. It's the only hand he has to play. They didn't just take down the Spanish flag. They took down the EU flag as well, which is amusing. Puigdemont had put his hope in the EU accepting Catalonia from the beginning. He believes now if Catalunya steps out regardless of EU support the EU will be forced to accept Catalunya independence. It's a desperate act. Regions separating from a central government undermines the EU and Catalunya loses a lot economically if it's outside the EU.

If you analyze carefully what happened this month, you will see that they won the first round. Now they passed the Rubikon. And people are asking not what Catalunya is going to do, but what will be the reaction of Spain.
About EU, i want to remember you an famous and old slogan, the Europe of the regions.

DarkSecret
10-27-2017, 06:27 PM
I don't even who you are. I never interacted with you before and if I did I don't remember.

Omg. Don't do that I won't be able to sleep for the next 3 weeks. OOOOOMG... :( :cry:

Damião de Góis
10-27-2017, 06:31 PM

The same kind of democracy that wouldn't allow people from your street to declare independence. Which is why the international community isn't recognizing this nonsense.

Colonel Frank Grimes
10-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Omg. Don't do that I won't be able to sleep for the next 3 weeks. OOOOOMG... :( :cry:

Do what? I didn't say I was planning on doing anything.

adsız
10-27-2017, 07:44 PM
I think, Iraq will follow Spain. Iraqi government may dissolve kurdish regional government, who held independence referendum despite the central government made objections, and impose direct rule in entire country.

adsız
10-27-2017, 07:46 PM

He wont understand what you really mean.

Laberia
10-27-2017, 07:57 PM
Now the telenovela is going to be very interesting. The Catalan Parliament has been disolved by the Central government, elections are called for December 21st 2017. Funny.

DarkSecret
10-27-2017, 08:30 PM
He wont understand what you really mean.

Yeah that was a high expectation :lightbul:

Mopi Licinius Crassus
10-16-2018, 05:32 AM
spain should re-enforce article 155 over cataluna, until the situation resolves

you can't have an idiot like Quim Torra running things up there, with his anti-spanish rhetoric

Suinthila
11-19-2018, 03:46 PM
Non aurum sed ferrum liberanda patria est

TheMaestro
11-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Catalonyans would lose big rights and privileges if they leave Spain in terms of economy and international situation advantages.

Mopi Licinius Crassus
11-22-2018, 07:14 PM
Viva La Policia Nacional, Viva La Guardia Civil, Viva Espanaaaaaaaaaaaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpHpqI3Xcuw