PDA

View Full Version : Where would Celine Dion pass more easily: Britain or Mexico?

Tooting Carmen
10-28-2017, 11:36 PM
This is a serious, non-trollish question.
Imo, Celine is very much among the 20-25% or so of ethnic French people who do not easily pass in Britain. Moreover, while she first and foremost looks very very French, at the same time imo she'd pass better as a whiter-than-average Mexican (or indeed Colombian, Venezuelan, Cuban etc.) than as any kind of Brit. This is particularly evident in photos of her when she was younger:
http://resize-parismatch.ladmedia.fr/r/901,,forcex/img/var/news/storage/images/paris-match/people/musique/en-images/la-metamorphose-de-celine-dion-898281/celine-dion-en-1982/9520473-1-fre-FR/Celine-Dion-en-1982.jpghttp://www.etonline.com/sites/default/files/images/2015-03/1280_et_flashback_celinedion_033015.jpghttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/da/25/dd/da25ddb6f1d00ef2dcb6599bf02afa92.jpghttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/ed/b7/37/edb7373de4d1d0b85d3bf88dccc7268a.jpghttps://musiccanada.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/celine-dion.jpghttp://images.celine-dion.net/disco/a027.jpghttps://i.ytimg.com/vi/YhfSCgpc7Rg/hqdefault.jpg

Tooting Carmen
10-29-2017, 01:58 PM
bump

Sikeliot
10-29-2017, 04:22 PM
A white Mexican.

Tooting Carmen
10-29-2017, 04:24 PM
A white Mexican.

The point is that Atlantid-Dinarid-Med combination is really common in France but rare in Britain. Mazarine Pingeot and Catherine Fabre, who I have opened threads about, also have a similar look.

Ilma
10-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Like many Quebecois she's from Norman origin partly. She passes in Normandy and France overall IMO.

She looks somehow more Brittish IMO.

Tooting Carmen
10-29-2017, 04:33 PM
Like many Quebecois she's from Norman origin partly. She passes in Normandy and France overall IMO.

Yes, but my point is that she has a commonplace French look that is very foreign for the UK. My main beef is when people claim that ethnic French people look almost identical to Brits or even Germans (they really do not).

Ilma
10-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Yes, but my point is that she has a commonplace French look that is very foreign for the UK. My main beef is when people claim that ethnic French people look almost identical to Brits or even Germans (they really do not).

It's probably the Atlantid vibe with somewhat gracile and pseudo med traits which makes her more looking French than German as many French do. But French look more like Italians or Spanish people overall with certain strong Keltid admix.

The Northern you go, the more Germanic features you would find. Even though you also find Germanic traits and phenos in minority in half Southern part of France like in Septimania.

I should nuance though since in Northern Italy you find also some Germanic phenos. In Iberia as well.

Seth MacFarlane
10-29-2017, 04:41 PM

I think French has a mixed look because it's surrounded by different ppl . I think they look like a mix of Brits , Germans , Italians and iberians. Out of those I mentioned I think Celine would fit best as italian

Seth MacFarlane
10-29-2017, 04:42 PM
But between Mexico and Britain it would have to be equal measure

Ilma
10-29-2017, 04:46 PM
I think French has a mixed look because it's surrounded by different ppl . I think they look like a mix of Brits , Germans , Italians and iberians. Out of those I mentioned I think Celine would fit best as italian

Indigenous french are from Gallo-Roman origin, mix of Celts + Romans and later on Franks (+ some other Germanic tribes). Which gives them a Celtic + Latin + Germanic mix.

They are at crossroads between Iberia, Italia, Germany and UK so it makes sense also.

Ask Petalpusher to share a PCA map with some french samples and I bet they plot in between Germans, Italians and Iberians.

♥ Lily ♥
10-29-2017, 04:46 PM
She's looks so foreign and strange that she couldn't ever pass in the UK. I think she'd pass better in Mexico as a White Mexican. Her features look French + some Amerindian.

JohnSmith
10-29-2017, 04:49 PM
The point is that Atlantid-Dinarid-Med combination is really common in France but rare in Britain. Mazarine Pingeot and Catherine Fabre, who I have opened threads about, also have a similar look.

The Dinarid in Britain is usually in the Keltic Nordid form.

Tooting Carmen
10-29-2017, 06:44 PM
The Dinarid in Britain is usually in the Keltic Nordid form.

I know what you mean, but KNs are still clearly distinct from actual Dinarids or Dinaro-Meds. British travel writer Simon Calder, for example, is KN:
https://www.primeperformersagency.co.uk/uploads/images/speakers/Simon%20calder%20440.jpg

Neogranadino
10-29-2017, 09:05 PM
She could pass in both France and Mexico (White Mexican) IMO.

Xacal
10-29-2017, 09:39 PM
White Mexican

Odin
10-29-2017, 11:06 PM
Mexico.

Newsboy
10-30-2017, 02:29 AM
Voted both in equal measure

alnortedelsur
10-30-2017, 03:37 AM
She doesn't fit well neither as British nor Iberian or white Latin American.

I guess the reason of this, is because her look is like too specifically-French.

At most she could pass as some sort of Baskid Spaniard (more extremely Baskid than the norm), or as white Latin American of Spanish descent with a heavily Baskid phenotype.

Tooting Carmen
10-24-2018, 10:31 PM
bump

Ayetooey
10-24-2018, 10:35 PM
This is a bit of a cheat of an answer, but I'd say Mexico on the fact that anyone can realistically pass there as it doesn't have a defined ethnicity of sorts; though if you had to ask me whether she's closer to the average Mestizo Mexican or White Brit, then I'd obviously go for Britain, though she doesn't look British at all, and is closer to a "White Mexican" though such people are a minority.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'd say around 75 percent of French can't pass realistically in Britain, I know I will get hate for this, but even a lot of more Northern French people I've known look very very different to the average British person. I might be wrong on this, but of the ones I've seen and met there faces are very alien to the British isles, Celine Dion included.

Tooting Carmen
10-24-2018, 10:43 PM
I'd say it is the opposite - 75% of French people can pass in Britain.

Ayetooey
10-24-2018, 10:47 PM
I'd say it is the opposite - 75% of French people can pass in Britain.

It depends on what you mean by pass, I think they could pass atypically, but I feel that I can instantly spot the difference even with Northern French, where as Germans and Danes on the other hand pass very well, with many looking almost indistinguishable to Brits. Northern French I can see similarities, but even people from central France look very foreign to me, Michel Roux Jr for example.

There should be a thread on this, I'd be interested to see some comparisons and see if my mind can be changed.

Tooting Carmen
10-24-2018, 10:53 PM
It depends on what you mean by pass, I think they could pass atypically, but I feel that I can instantly spot the difference even with Northern French, where as Germans and Danes on the other hand pass very well, with many looking almost indistinguishable to Brits. Northern French I can see similarities, but even people from central France look very foreign to me, Michel Roux Jr for example.

There should be a thread on this, I'd be interested to see some comparisons and see if my mind can be changed.

Northern French generally pass well, but most French people from the Auvergne and Atlantique regions southwards look more like Northern Italians and/or Northeastern Spaniards than Brits.

Zroota
10-25-2018, 04:50 AM
She looks Iberian overall.

Mark
10-25-2018, 05:04 AM
She looks Iberian overall.

To me, she has what I consider a very Franco-Iberic look, but Belgium for sure too.

Rgvgjhvv
10-25-2018, 05:11 AM
Canadian legend

Papastratosels26
10-25-2018, 05:27 AM
Britain

Στάλθηκε από το G3311 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk