PDA

View Full Version : Next Year’s Wars

Sol Invictus
01-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Foreign Policy
January 2, 2011

Côte d’Ivoire

Côte d’Ivoire is on the brink of what may be a very bad 2011. After a five-year delay, Côte d’Ivoire held presidential elections on Oct. 31. A peaceful first round of voting was commended by the international community, but the runoff between incumbent Laurent Gbagbo and former Prime Minister Alassane Ouattara was marred by clashes and allegations of fraud on both sides.

The international community, including the United Nations, the African Union, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), former colonial power France, and the United States, has recognized Outtara as the victor, but this has not prevented Gbagbo, with the backing of senior military officials and the Constitutional Council, from taking the oath of office. Both politicians have named prime ministers and governments as tension mounts and protests occur in the streets. The United Nations has reported disappearances, rape, and at least two dozen deaths so far.

Worst case scenario: Gbagbo stays in power, armed conflict between the supporters of each side plunges the country into civil war. Best case scenario: Gbagbo succumbs to international appeals and steps down. But it’s not clear how things could get better from here. The international community has already ratcheted up pressure, including financial restrictions and travel bans. And the United Nations renewed the mandate of its peacekeeping operation there, despite Gbagbo calling for its immediate departure.

It’s very possible that Cote d’Ivoire will take a turn for the worse in 2011. Gbagbo and Ouattara both have heavily armed supporters who seem ready to fight for the long haul.

Read Entire Artice (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/12/28/next_years_wars?page=full)

Sunray
01-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Somalia, Somalia, Somalia...

Special Forces are likely active there and its is an isolated base of Islamic extremism i.e it borders no other major Al Qaeda centres.

Plus Blackhawk Down makes it look awesome, that is exactly where I'd want to go.

Vasconcelos
01-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Build a wall around Somalia, then fill it up with water.

Sunray
01-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Easy solution but boring. Afghanistan as a war was quite stimulating but all the really warry stuff is over, Somalia is where it should be at. Blackhawk Down is riveting...imagine being there!

Magister Eckhart
01-03-2011, 09:53 PM
You're both on the wrong side of the continent. Cote d'Ivorie is West Africa.

At any rate, so a bunch of Africans are killing each other. I say let them. Encourage it, in fact - decrease the surplus population in the Third World. It will mean less immigrants for Europe to put up with.

Sunray
01-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Why am I on the wrong side of the continent? East Africa is next via Yemen and then across Africa in (ironically) a crescent shape from Afghanistan ending in Nigeria 2020.

It is not in Britain's interest to get involved but it is in mine. Complex, simulating wars in exotic locales.