02-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Seems to be a popular topic here :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la_U61oin-A

Loki
02-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Nice girl. Weird song though. Sounds Finnish & Greek to me. :D

Beorn
02-13-2009, 10:28 PM
It makes me want to drink vodka and shout loudly.

Hors
02-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Nice girl. Weird song though. Sounds Finnish & Greek to me. :D

Don't ask me to tell you what the song is about. I don't understand/recognize a word. :D

But it sounds and feels ultimately Russian.

Osweo
02-13-2009, 11:43 PM
It is difficult to make out, the way the words are stretched. It seems to be one of that kind of song, often sung by the Cossacks, figuring a Black Raven flying from a battlefield, the girl realising her lover is dead. Sometimes the Raven brings a 'white hand with a ring', from which the killed man is recognised. I could only make out Black Raven, white, flew, though... :)

Vladimir Skuntsev sings this sort of thing in an original style as possible, but there's none on Youtube.

Ah well, here's some Vysotsky instead, also very Russky!:
I Don't Love (better translated 'I have a great antipathy for...')
ITraTGXv6k8
He lists unpleasant things, like 'any time of year when jolly songs are not sung'.
(I've heard better recordings, but it's murder looking for them on the Net!)

An amusing and very wise one:
On the Transmigration of Souls
H-2pyKXEC-A
Но, если туп, как дерево - родишься баобабом
И будешь баобабом тыщу лет, пока помрешь.
If you live as stupid as a tree, you'll be reborn a baobab,
And you'll stay a baobab a thousand years till you die again. :p

Here's a good bit for all our amateur biochemists:
Так кто есть кто, так кто был кем?- мы никогда не знаем.
С ума сошли генетики от ген и хромосом.
Быть может, тот облезлый кот - был раньше негодяем,
А этот милый человек - был раньше добрым псом.
Я от восторга прыгаю,
Я обхожу искусы,-
Удобную религию
Придумали индусы!

So who is who and who was who? We never ever shall know.
Geneticists have driven themselves mad with genes and chromosomes.
Perhaps that mangy cat was once a ne'er-do-well,
And that pleasant fellow once a good dog.

I jump with joy,
Avoid temptation, -
A convenient religion
The Hindus thought up! :D

Ekh, Once, and Another!
KyutDgkVTNg

Hors
02-14-2009, 08:08 AM
It is difficult to make out, the way the words are stretched. It seems to be one of that kind of song, often sung by the Cossacks

It's not a Cossack song, it's in Northern Russian style. Here's a Cossack song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDiuz-qC1rI

Absinthe
02-14-2009, 08:48 AM
What's the language of the first song :confused: If it's russian, it doesn't sound so!

Could it be a fabricated language like this one? :D

M79tv4E-bwk

Osweo
02-14-2009, 02:31 PM
It's not a Cossack song, it's in Northern Russian style.
It is a style very similar to the songs of the Don Cossacks. The vocal treatment, and very content matter say as much. Why on Earth would folk in the North be singing about Ravens flying from battlefields, when there's nobody to fight up there but Finnic tribesmen and the frost? You do find this sort of song in Siberia, however. Is that what you meant?
Anastasiya Sorokova is from Podoliya, anyway, hardly a northern region. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that she's part of a living handed down tradition, from her mother and grandmothers, rather than singing something from a different region in a purely academic sort of exercise.

Here's a Cossack song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDiuz-qC1rI
Yes, a Cossack song, but one of the Zaporozhye Cossacks. QUITE different linguistically, ethnically and culturally from the Donskoe Kazachestvo.

Even Anthropologically different, you could say. The Donskie Kazaki preserve a lot of ancient cultural traits lost in the centre of the Great-Russian ethnic mass, as do the Pomory in the North. That's why you might regard things as similar between the two distinct groups.

By the way, I've been singing that song with a terrible Moskal' accent for years; it's embarrassing to hear it with real southern pronunciation finally! I always put a 'yo' in 'zeleny'...

Altogether now!
Ma - ru - sya....
Raz dva tri kalina chyornyavaya divchina v sadu yagodi rvala!

Mezhdu prochim, could you enlighten me as to what 'krinichenku kopat'' means? I've been asking people for years and never got a straight answer...

What's the language of the first song :confused: If it's russian, it doesn't sound so!
It's Russian alright, just with about ten extra syllables per word!

Hilding
02-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Don't ask me to tell you what the song is about. I don't understand/recognize a word. :D

But it sounds and feels ultimately Russian.

Shouldn't you be able to understand russian since you claim to be one yourself? Or did I miss something?

Sarmata
02-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Even Russian jury doesn't understand her becouse she probably doesn't sing in Russian:confused:...So was it some Russian dialect?

Osweo
02-14-2009, 04:40 PM
It's just the style of singing. Takes some getting used to. Don't tell me neither of you has ever listened to a song in your own language and not made out a thing?!

Hilding
02-14-2009, 05:12 PM
It's just the style of singing. Takes some getting used to. Don't tell me neither of you has ever listened to a song in your own language and not made out a thing?!

Yeah there's alot of "swedish" hip-hop going on for instance :S

Hors
02-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Even Russian jury doesn't understand her becouse she probably doesn't sing in Russian:confused:...So was it some Russian dialect?

It's just the "northern" Russian style of singing.

Here's another example:

http://mini.zaycev.net/m3_mini/667/66724.mp3

note the difference between singing and talking (it's a contemporary DJ mix)

Hors
02-14-2009, 06:29 PM
It is a style very similar to the songs of the Don Cossacks. The vocal treatment, and very content matter say as much.

Post one and we will compare.

Why on Earth would folk in the North be singing about Ravens flying from battlefields, when there's nobody to fight up there but Finnic tribesmen and the frost?

I was rather talking about the style of singing, but, anyway, it appears you know little about Russian history.

You do find this sort of song in Siberia, however. Is that what you meant?
Anastasiya Sorokova is from Podoliya, anyway, hardly a northern region.

It's Podolsk, not Podoliye.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that she's part of a living handed down tradition, from her mother and grandmothers, rather than singing something from a different region in a purely academic sort of exercise.

Yes, you're wrong.

Yes, a Cossack song, but one of the Zaporozhye Cossacks. QUITE different linguistically, ethnically and culturally from the Donskoe Kazachestvo.

Kuban Cossaks. They're pred. of Don Cossacks derivation.

Even Anthropologically different, you could say.

Those of the Black Sea line, yes. But they're not the most numerous part of Kuban Cossacks.

The Donskie Kazaki preserve a lot of ancient cultural traits lost in the centre of the Great-Russian ethnic mass, as do the Pomory in the North. That's why you might regard things as similar between the two distinct groups.

:rolleyes:

Mezhdu prochim, could you enlighten me as to what 'krinichenku kopat'' means? I've been asking people for years and never got a straight answer...

It's a state secret. That's how we expose foreign spies.

Sarmata
02-15-2009, 01:35 PM
It's just the "northern" Russian style of singing.

Here's another example:

http://mini.zaycev.net/m3_mini/667/66724.mp3

note the difference between singing and talking (it's a contemporary DJ mix)

Masha from Arkona singing similar to her...I like this style of singing by the way:thumb001:

Osweo
02-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Post one and we will compare.
Curses. This involves five flights of stairs! :mad:

Vladimir Skuntsev of the Don, singing about the Don.
This is obviously a Man singing, which will be a be different from Women's singing! But as I hear it, the vocal treatment is similar to your first video.
Okay, it's on Rapidshare here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/198468775/Track_1.wma.html
Maximum 10 downloads unfortunately. Can anyone recommend a better way of going about sharing this song?

Here's the same fellow singing about a Black Raven, as in Sorokova's song. Similar content and feel, but conforming to a rather more westernised song structure;
http://rapidshare.com/files/198470157/Track_3.wma.html

I was rather talking about the style of singing, but, anyway, it appears you know little about Russian history.
I was also talking about the style, and added the content as an afterthought. Your mp3 is of a completely different style. It's choral part singing, not solo virtuoso style. Oranges compared with apples.

It's Podolsk, not Podoliye.
Oops, how embarrassing! :p
I lived on the northern and north-eastern sides of Moscow, and never really had any reason to go to that part of Moskovskaya Oblast'!
I thought Podolsk was the capital of Podolye, Podolskaya Oblast (http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B5), sorry! Honest mistake, and one caused by the fact that the town of Podolsk, just south of Moscow, might from the name be supposed to be founded by people migrating, fleeing, or having been deliberately settled from, Podolye.

Actually, to cover my arse, I checked:
Первоначально на территории города располагалось село Подол, которое было вотчина московского Данилова монастыря вплоть до 1764 года и входило в состав Московского уезда Молоцкого стана.
Seems the place was called Podol at first, before it was 'promoted' to a higher rank of urban settlement. There may be no link with Podolye over near Poland. Hard to say. I do have a toponymic dictionary of Moskovskaya Oblast, but please don't make me run up and down the stairs again!

Yes, you're wrong.
You know the girl's life story, do you?

Kuban Cossaks. They're pred. of Don Cossacks derivation.
The Don Cossacks provided some of their ancestors, but there was also a large Ukrainian element. Many areas of the Kuban were still Ukrainian speaking in the first half of the Twentieth Century. People there now are more Russified, but still remember this, if this is the heritage of their particular forebears. That is why the Kuban Cossacks of your video, if that's what they are, were self-consciously singing an unarguably Ukrainian song.

Those of the Black Sea line, yes. But they're not the most numerous part of Kuban Cossacks.
The traits are not uniformly spread, but exist.

It's a state secret. That's how we expose foreign spies.
Spasibo for the help, tovarisch. Your altruistic spirit is appreciated. :coffee:

Hors
02-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Okey, okey, I'll tell you, but from now on you should wire 20% of your MI6 salary to my Cayman bank secret account every month...

"Kopat' krinichen'ku" means to dig a well.