PDA

View Full Version : Hail Traditional Culture

Doctor Who
01-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Hail Traditional Culture
Icelanders celebrate the Elfreid (Elfride) with trolls, demons and bonfires

With rising sun in January Icelanders bid farewell the Elf-queen and her legions, they celebrate the slow disappearance of the malevolent spirits of winter, the people have survived another year with the help of the benevolent spirits/forces of nature...

http://www.eyjafrettir.is/frettir/2011/01/10/radist_a_ljosmyndara_eyjafretta

Click link to watch video

Daos
01-17-2011, 05:23 AM
How is this traditional culture if only a few people practice it, for show, while the others are mere spectators? Tradition doesn't happen on the stage, but in the village. And I won't even talk about the rubbish rock music accompanying the spectacle...:rolleyes:

Doctor Who
02-23-2011, 08:50 PM
How is this traditional culture if only a few people practice it, for show, while the others are mere spectators? Tradition doesn't happen on the stage, but in the village. And I won't even talk about the rubbish rock music accompanying the spectacle...:rolleyes:

Please spare me your toxic personality defects and passive-aggression. The video shows only a fraction of a nation wide celebrations, festivals and even rituals. In a time of total decay, global subversion and destruction of all order and traditions, we have loudmouths like you suffering from false superiority everywhere, pretending to be in favor of "cultural preservation" (or at least I assume you are since you're on this forum) while mocking and trying to belittle those who still try to preserve the little thats left of it. Even though its semi-modern and mostly abortive.. at least these people are trying. What are you or the people in your country doing? You know, fighting against the anti-tradition and preserving culture requires some involvement in real life, not just siting around reading evola, pretending to be a smart & extreme online.

Daos
02-24-2011, 04:22 AM
Please spare me your toxic personality defects and passive-aggression. The video shows only a fraction of a nation wide celebrations, festivals and even rituals. In a time of total decay, global subversion and destruction of all order and traditions, we have loudmouths like you suffering from false superiority everywhere, pretending to be in favor of "cultural preservation" (or at least I assume you are since you're on this forum) while mocking and trying to belittle those who still try to preserve the little thats left of it. Even though its semi-modern and mostly abortive.. at least these people are trying.

Please, stop foaming!

What are you or the people in your country doing?

While traditions today are, no doubt, superficial and have lost much of their meaning, at least, here in Maramureș, they're performed by peasants, usually in or around villages, rarely in towns.

You know, fighting against the anti-tradition and preserving culture requires some involvement in real life, not just siting around reading evola, pretending to be a smart & extreme online.

Festivals aren't my thing, but just because I don't show off, it doesn't mean I'm not doing anything. I've learnt how to use a scythe and how to tend to our vineyard and make wine from my parents and grandparents, activities almost no one of my age would take part of, and I plan to keep learning whatever I can, to keep traditional agriculture alive. Also, I've recorded a great deal of words and syntax structures that are used in our village and are absent in standard Romanian. Aside from me and the peasants (over the age of 40-50), few still know them, even less use them. So while I am no big shot, I am doing my part, thank you very much.