PDA

View Full Version : Egypt mosque attack: At least 184 killed in Sinai

KMack
11-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Suspected militants have launched a bomb and gun attack on a mosque in Egypt's North Sinai province, killing at least 184 people, state media say.
Witnesses say the al-Rawda mosque in the town of Bir al-Abed, near al-Arish, was targeted during Friday prayers.
Local police said men in four off-road vehicles opened fire on worshippers, AP reported.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42110223

al-Bosni
11-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Sorry, there is already a thread about this. You beat me to it by 1 minute. But my thread is better.

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?228153-Sufi-Mosque-in-Egypt-attacked-200-killed

Mingle
11-24-2017, 05:22 PM
The info everyone is probably most interested in:

Who might be behind the attack?

Militant Islamists have been waging an insurgency on the Sinai peninsula in recent years, stepping up attacks after Egypt's military overthrew Islamist President Mohammed Morsi after mass anti-government protests in July 2013.

Hundreds of police, soldiers and civilians have been killed since then, mostly in attacks carried out by Sinai Province group, which is affiliated to IS.

In September, at least 18 policemen were killed when the group attacked a convoy near al-Arish.

Sinai Province has also carried out deadly attacks against Egypt's Coptic Christian minority elsewhere in the country, and said it bombed a Russian plane carrying tourists in Sinai in 2015, killing 224 people on board.

It has been operating mainly in North Sinai, which has been under a state of emergency since October 2014, when 33 security personnel were killed in an attack claimed by the group.

Sinai Province is thought to want to take control of the Sinai Peninsula in order to turn it into an Islamist province run by IS.

KMack
11-24-2017, 05:31 PM
The info everyone is probably most interested in:

So some sort of a terrorist group. I was curious why kill all of those people at a mosque.