PDA

View Full Version : Which denomination are you?

Savant
01-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Was just curious as to the denominational distribution and balance of Apprician Christians.

If "other" please post explanation.

la bombe
01-12-2011, 03:06 AM
Technically I am a baptised Mormon, but I don't believe in or practice that shit. Or any other denomination for that matter.

Grumpy Cat
01-12-2011, 03:12 AM
Baptized and confirmed Catholic. Not practicing.

Savant
01-12-2011, 03:38 AM
Yeah, I'm guessing we'll see more Catholics to come...

I am Episcopalian(or at least my family is), I also don't practice. This is just as much a cultural inquiry as it is a religious one, however.

alexandra
01-12-2011, 03:41 AM
Baptized catholic, but now devoid of any religion whatsoever.

Vasconcelos
01-12-2011, 03:42 AM
None, I'm agnostic, but many people in my family are devout Catholics.

Savant
01-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Aww, not even the polygamy/sister wives part?? :(

Technically I am a baptised Mormon, but I don't believe in or practice that shit. Or any other denomination for that matter.

Aemma
01-12-2011, 04:00 AM
I guess once a baptised and confirmed Roman Catholic, you always are one. It's not like I can ask the Pope to undo it all, I suppose. :rolleyes:

But I was always more so a cultural Catholic than a practising one, although one always remembers the important parts (even to this day!): the Hail Mary, the Our Father, the crossing of forehead, lips and heart before hearing the words of God, the responses to some parts "Agneau de Dieu; donne-nous la paix" (yeah I've only ever known my Mass in French btw)...you know all that s-s-s-s-s-stuff. :D

But today I'm not a Christian but a heathen. :)

But the rest of my family, both sides of my family, is and always will remain Roman Catholic. It's a French Canadian thing. :D

la bombe
01-12-2011, 04:03 AM
Aww, not even the polygamy/sister wives part?? :(

Nah, but I do believe that polygamy should be legalized :p

Savant
01-12-2011, 04:36 AM
Yeah, which other denominations encourage polygamy?? Just curious... :D

Fortis in Arduis
01-12-2011, 05:47 AM
Um, I think that this poll should have been open. I want to see who the other Anglicans are.

Hello.

Savant
01-12-2011, 05:59 AM
I am the other one :D. I tried to go edit my OP hoping it would allow me to change the poll to open. Perhaps loki could do it...

Um, I think that this poll should have been open. I want to see who the other Anglicans are.

Hello.

Sally
01-12-2011, 05:59 AM

Hello.

My mother's family is all Church of England. My parents didn't have me christened because they wanted me to choose my own religion, though. How thoughtful! :cool:

Savant
01-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Umm so you actually chose Catholicism out of all the options? What led you to that decision? Just curious...

My mother's family is all Church of England. My parents didn't have me christened because they wanted me to choose my own religion, though. How thoughtful! :cool:

Sally
01-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Umm so you actually chose Catholicism out of all the options? What led you to that decision? Just curious...

I was convinced in conscience that Christ is God and that he founded the Catholic Church. I was given the grace of belief in the Catholic faith at a very young age, but I didn't formally convert until about two years ago.

Bloodeagle
01-12-2011, 06:43 AM
My family were a bunch of crazy Southron baptists, with the exception of my parents, who didn't like to go to church.
So as they would sleep in on Sunday, I would have to go to church with my cousins and watch a madman rant and rave, laugh and cry, shout and whisper to god and Satan, all in the name of Jesus. :rolleyes2:

Monolith
01-12-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm Roman Catholic, like my family and relatives. Also, vast majority of my friends and colleagues are RC, except for several Byzantine Catholics and an agnostic.

Lábaru
01-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Catholicism, but I do not practice, and I am not a believer, but my family and my education is Catholic.

Pallantides
01-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Baptised and a member of the state church, but I'm non-religious.

Blossom
01-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Baptized Catholic. No practice.

Last time when I was at church, I was about 8 years old, and broke stuff on there cuz I was playing with friends:D I was so ashamed I didnt want to go back there...

Anyway, I'm KINDA atheist.

Querubín
01-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Baptized Catholic. No practice.

Last time when I was at church, I was about 8 years old, and broke stuff on there cuz I was playing with friends:D I was so ashamed I didnt want to go back there...

Anyway, I'm KINDA atheist.

Jajajajaja You were a little evil.

I only go to the church in weddings or baptismes.

Rostislav
01-12-2011, 10:41 AM
My religious is orthodox church.

Raikaswinþs
01-12-2011, 04:29 PM
In my family non adherence prevails. Grannies are still hard line catholics. But that´s it.

What about Euro Muslims? Suchas Bosniaks,Balkan turks, Albanians, Chechens and other Vainakhs such as the Ingush, Kosovar,Tatars, Pomaks etc ? are they all adhered to sunna ? are they secular for the most part? or militant on the contrary?

Loddfafner
01-12-2011, 04:41 PM
If I were to go to a church for the purpose it was built for as opposed to tourism, and family tradition was the criterion for choosing which one to attend, it would be Episcopalian or maybe Quaker. If maximizing irony as a Heathen were the criterion, it might be Unitarian Universalist.

Crossbow
01-12-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't give a shit what Euro:rolleyes: muslims are.

Grey
01-12-2011, 05:09 PM
According to my maternal grandmother, I'm a Catlic, whatever that is. I was baptized, but unconfirmed (much to my family's dismay), but in the eyes of the Church I'm still a member :rolleyes:. It's strange actually, how many Apricians were raised with a universalist religion.

But I was always more so a cultural Catholic than a practising one, although one always remembers the important parts (even to this day!): the Hail Mary, the Our Father, the crossing of forehead, lips and heart before hearing the words of God, the responses to some parts "Agneau de Dieu; donne-nous la paix" (yeah I've only ever known my Mass in French btw)...you know all that s-s-s-s-s-stuff. :D

Same here. And our mass sort of meandered between English and French.

Arrow Cross
01-12-2011, 07:02 PM
1 ; 3.57%
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

Aemma
01-12-2011, 07:21 PM
If I were to go to a church for the purpose it was built for as opposed to tourism, and family tradition was the criterion for choosing which one to attend, it would be Episcopalian or maybe Quaker. If maximizing irony as a Heathen were the criterion, it might be Unitarian Universalist.

I once attended our very lovely Unitarian Universalist Church here a long time ago and was very interested in joining the congregation actually, once upon a time. This was way before I transitioned to heathenry though. I wonder how many other heathens this Church has appealed to in the past. :)

But yeah, irony to the hilt ain't it?

Wyn
01-12-2011, 07:35 PM
According to my maternal grandmother, I'm a Catlic, whatever that is. I was baptized, but unconfirmed (much to my family's dismay), but in the eyes of the Church I'm still a member :rolleyes:

I've read a few times (from Catholics) that all infants baptised via the Trinitarian formula (I baptise you in the name [...]) are automatically 'Catholic', and that it's only when they pass the age of reason and personally renounce Catholicism (and identify with Presbyterianism or whatever) that they cease to be Catholics. I don't know what the official Church teaching is, but as I say I've seen that opinion from multiple hardline (what would probably even be considered 'fundamentalist') Catholics. I never looked much into it when I was a practising Catholic, but thinking about it, it would follow logically in RC doctrine.

So in a weird way, all the Protestants in the world are just 'lapsed' and 'heretical' Catholics. ;)

Joe McCarthy
01-12-2011, 10:15 PM
I was raised Calvinist but I'm no longer observant.

Joe McCarthy
01-12-2011, 10:20 PM

You might get something out of Hawthorne's Twice Told Tales. Hawthorne was of Puritan stock and it features a story of Puritans expelling Quakers from the Bay Colony, which actually occurred.

Bloodeagle
01-12-2011, 10:23 PM
I once attended our very lovely Unitarian Universalist Church here a long time ago and was very interested in joining the congregation actually, once upon a time. This was way before I transitioned to heathenry though. I wonder how many other heathens this Church has appealed to in the past. :)

But yeah, irony to the hilt ain't it?

I once attended an occult seminar at a Unitarian Church. I found it rather strange that a christian church would allow such an event at their church.

Wyn
01-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Can UUs be considered Christians? I know they formed out of two Christian groups (Unitarians and Universalists) but you get atheist UUs and so on. They (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism) seem to have changed considerably since their founding. :shrug:

poiuytrewq0987
01-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Orthodox, what else?!

Guapo
01-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Orthodox christian and I support Chinese world domination.

Germanicus
01-12-2011, 11:02 PM
As i am living in a christian country my leanings would be to christianity rather than Muslim as pagans share many christian festivals on the same day....but i have been hugging trees recently..:)

Osweo
01-12-2011, 11:31 PM
I voted 'Other' as I couldn't vote for RC and Anglican.

Dad's family are Catholic, and his mother is my only living grandparent, and a staunch Irish Catholic, so I have had some exposure to the RC thing on a cultural level, and I've been to their churches for weddings and funerals.

Mam's family are English above all, and that involves a lingering anti-Catholic tendency, together with a general understanding of the Church of England as 'ours', regardless of how irreligious we are. However, Non-Conformism is not alien to them, just viewed as a kind of 'variety' of Anglicanism, for the most part. I have Methodism in mind mostly. A Methodist presided at my Gran's funeral at the crematorium, and none of them saw anything strange in that. Comes of the prevalence of Chapel in Working Class cities, I suppose. I went to a Methodist youth club too. I don't think the family particularly cared about the differences between Protestant sects, unless they were particularly loony.

Due to the familial strife, I wasn't baptised as any denomination. Mam's anti-Catholicism is stronger than Dad's anti-Protestantism, however, so I absorbed a bit more off her, I think. :p

Aemma
01-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Can UUs be considered Christians? I know they formed out of two Christian groups (Unitarians and Universalists) but you get atheist UUs and so on. They (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism) seem to have changed considerably since their founding. :shrug:

It depends what Christian you speak with I guess and how liberal they are in defining the term Christianity. But for sure this is as fringe as it gets!

Savant
01-13-2011, 02:23 AM
Well as I initially predicted, Catholics are most predominant. However I'm shocked that there aren't more old school WASPy Episcopalians here!

Episcopalianism is the domain of the American WASP, and Anglican is of course classically English. Only two?! I'm surprised...

Guapo
01-13-2011, 02:25 AM
Well as I initially predicted, Catholics are most predominant. However I'm shocked that there aren't more old school WASPy Episcopalians here!

Episcopalianism is the domain of the American WASP, and Anglican is of course classically English. Only two?! I'm surprised...

They're dying out unfortunately, even I am allowed to join the posh WASP golf country clubs now(as long as yer not catholic I guess) :(

Savant
01-13-2011, 02:28 AM
No WE LIVE!!! Most of the vestiges of the romanticized WASPy imagry is now alive mostly in the sunbelt, however.

They're dying out unfortunately, even I am allowed to join the posh WASP golf country clubs now(as long as yer not catholic I guess) :(

Great Dane
01-13-2011, 03:27 AM
If maximizing irony as a Heathen were the criterion, it might be Unitarian Universalist.

I once attended an occult seminar at a Unitarian Church. I found it rather strange that a christian church would allow such an event at their church.Unitarians are not Christian. Christians are Trinitarians. But it would seem that the theological leaders of many mainstream Christian churches are in fact Unitarian, that is why the Episcopalians and some Lutheran and Calvinist sects are apostate.

Cato
01-13-2011, 03:52 AM
I was born and baptised, and later confirmed, as a Methodist. Now, I'm largely something of a deistic skeptical humanist. To me, believing too strongly in God is as bad as doubting his existence.

Savant
01-13-2011, 04:53 AM
How are Episcopalians apostates exactly?

Unitarians are not Christian. Christians are Trinitarians. But it would seem that the theological leaders of many mainstream Christian churches are in fact Unitarian, that is why the Episcopalians and some Lutheran and Calvinist sects are apostate.

Óttar
01-13-2011, 07:01 AM
The theological reasoning behind the CoE split was that it was the king and not the pope that was the spiritual head of his realm's Christian community.

that is why the Episcopalians and some Lutheran and Calvinist sects are apostate.

Episcopalians do not affirm the trinity doctrine? News to me.

Episcopalians believe in the Trinitarian God: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Nicene Creed and the Apostles’ Creed, found in the prayer book, outline our beliefs; we recite them during our worship.

http://www.saintannandtheholytrinity.org/Education.html

Wyn
01-13-2011, 08:20 AM
The theological reasoning behind the CoE split was that it was the king and not the pope that was the spiritual head of his realm's Christian community.

That was a theological cover story, more than anything else. A political split that grew a doctrinal colouring.

Episcopalians do not affirm the trinity doctrine? News to me.

They do as an official position, but I always got the impression that the American branch of Anglicanism was rather lax when it came to enforcing/upholding traditional doctrines and tended to be somewhat wishy-washy on the whole. If there was modern Christian sect that was officially Trinitarian but quite tolerant of Unitarianism it would probably be the Episcopalians.

This isn't to pick on them as such, the CoE here isn't exactly known for its unyielding commitment to traditional positions. Something about Anglicanism...it probably arises out of trying to simultaneously be both 'Catholic' and 'Reformed', with the result being that it loses the solidity of both and ends up in a kind of no-man's land. I mean, they even do things like canonise Thomas More and John Fisher as "Reformation Martyrs" (http://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-worship/worship/texts/calendar,-rules-and-lectionaries/calendar/holydays.aspx).

The Ripper
01-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Born and raised Lutheran, though currently utterly unhappy with "my" church. Considering coversion.

Motörhead Remember Me
01-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Unfortunately, I was once baptised. Luckily, I'm a devout practiser of personal paganism.

Crossbow
01-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Born and raised Lutheran, though currently utterly unhappy with "my" church. Considering coversion.

When thinking about conversion, what would be more appropiate for you?

Äike
01-13-2011, 04:18 PM
I am a baptized Lutheran, like other Northern-Europeans, but I am not religious. The only religious thing about me is the fact that I am actually baptized.

Peasant
01-13-2011, 04:20 PM
The church hasn't caught me yet.

Joe McCarthy
01-13-2011, 07:02 PM

Anglos have been a minority at least since the 1790 Census. One of the arguments Thomas Paine used in Common Sense to justify separation from Britain was that contrary to claims, Britain was not the mother country, as America had a number of other Euro ethnics. By the time of the American Civil War, Anglos were down to 35%.

Current estimates are anywhere between 18-30%. But it is hard to say as many Anglos are so consciously American that they often don't think of themselves as 'British'.

Joe McCarthy
01-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Unitarians are mostly the Puritan descendants that swamped massively to the left. They're nothing more than a far left mob with a religious front. The 'church' aspect is little more than a tax dodge at this point.

As for the Episcopalians... they aren't called 'cafeteria Christians' for nothing. They're the sect for bored, rather rich and liberal Anglos who prefer their ornate mumbo-jumbo without popery, and prefer to see religion as more of a social club than a serious calling.

Eldritch
01-13-2011, 08:08 PM

Um, have you really thought that one through? Official, institutionalised polygamy is nothing short of a recipe for disaster for relationships between the sexes. Just look at the Arab, and more broadly, Muslim world, if you don't believe me.

Graham
01-14-2011, 12:57 AM
The church hasn't caught me yet.

Same, my maw was brought up Episcopalian and dad presbyterian I think.

Savant
01-14-2011, 04:01 AM
But Lutherans are actually a form of Episcopalianism, within the "Episcopal polity". Episcopalians are just the more socially dominant branch historically here in the USA. That's why the privilaged, aristocratic, white anglo saxon protestant stereotype is Episcopalian.

Beorn
01-14-2011, 04:17 AM
My Dad taught me I-Ching and strained his neck looking up at the stars. I often get a sore neck and feel like flipping coins.

Murphy
01-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Dear God all the talk in this thread of Anglicanism is painful to behold. How such heretics have the brass to name themselves Christian is astounding personally.

I would recommend the Anglicans on this forum to give an ear to the Church's Anglican Ordinariate. There's many good fruits growing from this tree.

On January 13, 2010, three former Anglican Bishops John Broadhurst, Andrew Burnham and Keith Newton, who were received into the full communion of the Catholic Church on the Feast of the Mother of God, January 1, 2010,will be ordained as Catholic Deacons. Two days later, they will be ordained to the Catholic Priesthood by Archbishop Nichols. They will be specifically set aside to serve the Anglican Ordinariate in the United Kingdom. This first of numerous Ordinariates around the world will be erected by a formal decree from the Holy See this week. The Holy See will also announce the first "Ordinary" to oversee this first Ordinariate.

SOURCE (http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=39921)

Loki
01-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Some interesting replies to this thread.

As for me - all Afrikaners are of Dutch Reformed heritage, most families (including mine) since before 1600. In South Africa, there are 3 main Reformed churches, the Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk, the Gereformeerde Kerk, and the Hervormde Kerk. All three are essentially the same, with minor disputes that only learned theologians could find significant. :rolleyes: The first one is by far the largest and considers itself the vestige of Afrikanerdom.

Just after the Boer War, the American missionary John G Lake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_G._Lake) came and preached among Afrikaners (and others) in South Africa. Many of the destitute Afrikaners at that time found hope in his message and he attracted a large following. Also my grandparents got pulled in, and the Afrikaners there founded the Apostolic Faith Mission church, which was a Pentecostal church. They said Lake and his followers performed many miracles. The new movement was obviously snubbed by the established Dutch Reformed community, and Afrikaner converts were looked down upon for following this new American teaching.

My family were loosely affiliated with the AFM, but were not really churchgoing when I grew up. I went to several churches in my home town and met other young people there. It was a good social and religious time in my life. I was personally not very loyal to a single denomination, and mostly followed a personal faith. It was easy to do, since my parents did not really care.

When I came to London, I was intrigued by English spirituality at first, but then eventually found my way into atheism, my destiny. :)

The Ripper
01-14-2011, 06:48 AM
When thinking about conversion, what would be more appropiate for you?

I've been considering conversion to the other (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Orthodox_Church) state church.

Electronic God-Man
01-14-2011, 10:43 AM
My family is Roman Catholic. My dad had an Irish Catholic grandma and my mom had a Lithuanian Catholic grandma.

Foxy
01-14-2011, 10:58 AM
I have been baptized and raised catholic, but in the last 10 years I have been atheist and I have not been confirmed yet. So take my vote to catholicism for an half truth. If I turned back christian I would choose protestant anytime.
I'd like to know the difference between the various protestant doctrines for the truth. I know only slighy lutheranism and calvinism.

Murphy
01-14-2011, 11:18 AM
I'd like to know the difference between the various protestant doctrines for the truth.

It changes from building to building. In Protestantism the Truth is what you decide it is. God is who you decide He is.

Loki
01-14-2011, 02:45 PM
It changes from building to building. In Protestantism the Truth is what you decide it is. God is who you decide He is.

That's not so far off the mark, actually. Hence zillions of interpretations, denominations and Bible translations. Too individual.

Cato
02-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Interesting to see that I'm still the only [former] Methodist.

CelticTemplar
02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Baptized, Confirmed, and Practicing Catholic.

mymy
02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Eastern Orthodox, precise Serbian Orthodox officially. Baptized in church when i wasn't yet even 1 year old, my family is religious, but to be honest, for me religion is not big or important thing in life. I believe in destiny. I think things in what we believe should be more personal and private than institutional and organised. Most of people don't choose religion, we accept if from our family, like tradition, we don't ask ourself if it's true or not, we are thought to believe in it. So no much free will in it. Anyway...I found myself in believing in destiny, it is way how i create my spiritual life.
I respect other people's believings and religions, of course I could marry person who is not of my religion, but while his religion support "European spirit". To be honest I'm not fan of Islam and Judaism at all, but that is because of way on what societies where those religions are dominant and values what support them are strange to me.

Murphy
02-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Baptized, Confirmed, and Practicing Catholic.

Good man. Now re-size yer avatar ;).

antonio
02-24-2011, 05:02 PM
With me 51% of Catholics. Time has arrive to start on thinking on building up Sacred Inquisition on these wastelands. ;-)

Cato
02-24-2011, 06:04 PM
With me 51% of Catholics. Time has arrive to start on thinking on building up Sacred Inquisition on these wastelands. ;-)

And dust off the Malleus Maleficarum.

Bloodeagle
02-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Interesting to see that I'm still the only [former] Methodist.
I had quite a few Methodists in my family up till the 1930's when most seemed to go holy roller with the Southern Baptists.
I can trace my mothers mothers line back to a couple of Methodist preachers who immigrated to America in the early 19th century from England.

I even have one notorious and imfamous relation who was named after John Wesley in fine Methodist fashion. :)

Savant
02-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Btw, any mod feel free to change this poll to an open poll. I simply didn't know any better when I initiated the thread. Someone else also requested it earlier in the thread....

Odoacer
04-02-2011, 06:29 PM
One more Protestant to make the Catholic plurality ever so slightly smaller. :P

I was raised in the Assemblies of God, a Pentecostal denomination; but I am now a practicing Presbyterian.

Rouxinol
04-02-2011, 06:43 PM
All my family is Roman Catholic... I've been raised as one, but I'm more and more feeling less Catholic and fond of the Reform.

Odoacer
04-02-2011, 07:13 PM
All my family is Roman Catholic... I've been raised as one, but I'm more and more feeling less Catholic and fond of the Reform.

Why is that?

Rouxinol
04-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Why is that?

The centralism on the Pope/Vatican.

Odoacer
04-02-2011, 07:35 PM
The centralism on the Pope/Vatican.

Ah, but that's what keeps it "capital C" Catholic! ;)

Of course, as a dyed-in-the-wool Protestant I share your concern.

Rouxinol
04-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Ah, but that's what keeps it "capital C" Catholic! ;)

Of course, as a dyed-in-the-wool Protestant I share your concern.

You're right. So I guess I'm not a "capital C" Catholic. I say I am one because I've been raised and baptized on that tradition.

Raskolnikov
04-02-2011, 07:46 PM
What attaches me to Roman Catholicism is authoritarianism.

Anarchism = Judaism.

RC is dead though.