PDA

View Full Version : Would it be weird if I....?

Eliades
01-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Well, I'm known for being a mix of quite a few different Euro ethnicities about 6 or 7 to be precise. So, I was wondering if it would be weird if I were to get a flag or coat of arms of one of those countries as a tattoo or something? For example, would Romanians object if I got a Romania coat of arms tattoo even though I'm not a full blooded Romanian, even though I'm very proud of that heritage.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Guapo
01-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Well, first find out if it's 6 or 7 before tattooing a flag you have nothing to do with ethnically.

Eliades
01-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Well, first find out if it's 6 or 7 before tattooing a flag you have nothing to do with ethnically.

It's 7 lol. I knew what the ethnic groups were, I just couldn't think of the number when I typed the OP.

poiuytrewq0987
01-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Pick whatever you identify with the most.

Osweo
01-13-2011, 12:45 AM
You're 17, and will be embarrassed to think what you were like at this age when you are 30. Don't do anything stupid and irreversible.

... probably even when you're 19, come to think of it... :rotfl:

I personally think of tattooing as vulgar in general, especially given how popular it is nowadays. Ah well, who gives a fuck what I think? :tsk:

Psychonaut
01-13-2011, 12:47 AM
You're 17, and will be embarrassed to think what you were like at this age when you are 30. Don't do anything stupid and irreversible.

Ditto. Don't get something tattooed on your body unless you're settled on the idea for half a decade or so before doing the deed.

Guapo
01-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Ah well, who gives a fuck what I think? :tsk:

I do :wink

Bloodeagle
01-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Watch out, because the other 6 nationalities might wage war with your "chosen one"!

Vasconcelos
01-13-2011, 01:13 AM
For example, would Romanians object if I got a Romania coat of arms tattoo even though I'm not a full blooded Romanian, even though I'm very proud of that heritage.

I certainly wouldn't object if you tatoo'd a coat of arms of my country, you're full European anyway.

With that said, I agree you're still to young to decide tatooing something on your body, wait a few years..if you still want it by then, well, by all means do it.

Wyn
01-13-2011, 02:04 AM
You know, it's not as if there's a law against men getting a tramp-stamp.

Think about it.

Austin
01-13-2011, 02:22 AM
Don't get a tattoo. It will be a bad thing to have in the future.

Crossbow
01-13-2011, 02:31 AM
I'd better be discrete, and have no tattoos at all. They are a sign, and do not serve any purpose. But that is my personal opinion.

Grey
01-13-2011, 02:40 AM

Think about it.

I think I see where you're going with this...
OP, get the coat of arms as a tramp stamp.

Eliades
01-13-2011, 03:17 AM

... probably even when you're 19, come to think of it... :rotfl:

I personally think of tattooing as vulgar in general, especially given how popular it is nowadays. Ah well, who gives a fuck what I think? :tsk:

Good post, and good advice for me to consider. I'll defintely think this over before and if I do it.

I certainly wouldn't object if you tatoo'd a coat of arms of my country, you're full European anyway.

With that said, I agree you're still to young to decide tatooing something on your body, wait a few years..if you still want it by then, well, by all means do it.

I think it would be awesome to get a Portugal coat of arms tattoo (if that's the country you're talking about), seeing though it's one of my favorite countries to read up on, and I love Med/Southern Euro countires. The women there are so hot...

Think about it.

Well, I just asked before you never know if some full-blooded Romanian for example would call me a poser or something for having a tattoo like that even though I'm not 100% Romanian.

Osweo
01-13-2011, 03:31 AM
Well, I just asked before you never know if some full-blooded Romanian for example would call me a poser or something for having a tattoo like that even though I'm not 100% Romanian.

Put it this way; Me and my brother are almost half Irish. We've both been over there a fair bit, know the songs, are in touch with our relatives there. Our grandmother left in the fifties and still has the accent. Our father owns property there. But if he got an Irish harp with shamrocks entwined in it tattooed on him, I'd think he was a fucking idiot. I'd also be less than impressed with his patriotism regarding the country in which he was born and reared, to which he owes most of his character.

Now, you're FAR less than half something. And have probably never set foot in the countries involved. Take that above 'fucking idiot', and times it tenfold, and you'll have some idea of how at least one person would react to your tattoo. I won't flatter myself that I'm unique, and there's a chance, however small, that somebody like me might one day be your prospective employer/father-in-law... :wink

Eliades
01-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Put it this way; Me and my brother are almost half Irish. We've both been over there a fair bit, know the songs, are in touch with our relatives there. Our grandmother left in the fifties and still has the accent. Our father owns property there. But if he got an Irish harp with shamrocks entwined in it tattooed on him, I'd think he was a fucking idiot. I'd also be less than impressed with his patriotism regarding the country in which he was born and reared, to which he owes most of his character.

Now, you're FAR less than half something. And have probably never set foot in the countries involved. Take that above 'fucking idiot', and times it tenfold, and you'll have some idea of how at least one person would react to your tattoo. I won't flatter myself that I'm unique, and there's a chance, however small, that somebody like me might one day be your prospective employer/father-in-law... :wink

Yeah, that's part of the reason why I hate being mixed so much.

But, the main reason for this thread is I somehow want to be connect to heritage/ancestry since I care a lot about it, and I want to be the first in my family (both sides) to actually give a damn about it. To me, tattooing was the only way I can think of displaying my pride... I guess.

Heretik
01-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Tattoo this and you'll have everything covered:

http://www.33ff.com/flags/XL_flags/European-Union_flag.gif

:thumbs

Osweo
01-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Yeah, that's part of the reason why I hate being mixed so much.

But, the main reason for this thread is I somehow want to be connect to heritage/ancestry since I care a lot about it, and I want to be the first in my family (both sides) to actually give a damn about it. To me, tattooing was the only way I can think of displaying my pride... I guess.
Sorry, Man, I was a bit unsympathetic, I suppose. It must be a difficult position. How can we come up with a solution to this....... :chin:

Strikes me, that you might be better off trying to be the best damned American you can possibly be. (ARE you in the US?) Like I said in the hypothetical thing about my brother, it's the country in which you've been born and grown up in that you owe most, perhaps. Whatever colonial country you're in, it probably damn well needs a few more emphatic patriots who can resurrect the best from its founding spirit...

Or try this; look for something older than present day European nations. Something that is part of the heritage of many of them, rather than just one. There is a danger, of course, that an outsider will be missing the subtler aspects of a particular 'national crest', too; in these days, there are many who don't identify with the 'official' symbols, seeing a political undertone in them that might be rather opposed to older nationalistic notions. (England's coat of arms, for instance has barely anything English on it, due to our history and the Norman Conquest in particular. For the UK it's even worse; it's a collection of symbols that apply more to the monarch than to the country, and ... the motto is in FRENCH! I dare say similar things might apply to Rumania's crest and so on.)

I know the value of being demonstrative about your convictions, but doesn't a tattoo rather cheapen something? When every little strumpet out there has some 'deeply meaningful symbol' tattooed on their arse, nobody's going to be too impressed with whatever you cook up. If you select something from deep sympathy with what it represents, there's always going to be some dickhead who chose the same thing just because 'it looks good in the catalogue', or 'filmstar X has one like it'... :ohwell:

Just buy a few teeshirts, with the flags/symbols on, and represent one of these nations every day of the week... :D

Eliades
01-14-2011, 02:12 AM
Sorry, Man, I was a bit unsympathetic, I suppose. It must be a difficult position. How can we come up with a solution to this....... :chin:

Strikes me, that you might be better off trying to be the best damned American you can possibly be. (ARE you in the US?) Like I said in the hypothetical thing about my brother, it's the country in which you've been born and grown up in that you owe most, perhaps. Whatever colonial country you're in, it probably damn well needs a few more emphatic patriots who can resurrect the best from its founding spirit...

Or try this; look for something older than present day European nations. Something that is part of the heritage of many of them, rather than just one. There is a danger, of course, that an outsider will be missing the subtler aspects of a particular 'national crest', too; in these days, there are many who don't identify with the 'official' symbols, seeing a political undertone in them that might be rather opposed to older nationalistic notions. (England's coat of arms, for instance has barely anything English on it, due to our history and the Norman Conquest in particular. For the UK it's even worse; it's a collection of symbols that apply more to the monarch than to the country, and ... the motto is in FRENCH! I dare say similar things might apply to Rumania's crest and so on.)

I know the value of being demonstrative about your convictions, but doesn't a tattoo rather cheapen something? When every little strumpet out there has some 'deeply meaningful symbol' tattooed on their arse, nobody's going to be too impressed with whatever you cook up. If you select something from deep sympathy with what it represents, there's always going to be some dickhead who chose the same thing just because 'it looks good in the catalogue', or 'filmstar X has one like it'... :ohwell:

Just buy a few teeshirts, with the flags/symbols on, and represent one of these nations every day of the week... :D

It's alright man, you did no wrong.

Honestly, I don't think I would be the best damned American, nor would I really care too. Truthfully, I wish I was born and raised in Europe (not that mixed either). Plus, I know a bunch of kids who are military brats that would be the patriots, they're also the ones who don't really care about their Euro heritage, and they're the ones who always make fun of Europeans by calling them "pussy" or "gay, etc. Especially the French and British. Which I don't condone by any means.

Yeah, that's a good idea, I've been looking lately, but I haven't really found anything yet. That would be more ideal as a tattoo than a flag or coat of arms.

You do have a point there, but what I was thinking when I originally typed the message was that I didn't think many people would know what it was in the first place. Since, no one around here knows history, geography, etymology that well. As, for the country shirts, I would do that idea, but it would be hard as hell to find one around here (unless I got a 2010 World Cup Tshirt, but they most likely don't sell them anymore).

Guapo
01-14-2011, 04:41 AM
Just do what you want, it's your body.

Dario Argento
01-14-2011, 05:35 AM
Tattoo yourself. Don't worry. Tattoing a flag is always better than tattoing your GF's name. I still can get good chicks, have a good job with air conditioner, etc... and I have tattoos in both my arms.

Psychonaut
01-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Just do what you want, it's your body.

lZLVi4v7lSM

Sabinae
01-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Well, I'm known for being a mix of quite a few different Euro ethnicities about 6 or 7 to be precise. So, I was wondering if it would be weird if I were to get a flag or coat of arms of one of those countries as a tattoo or something? For example, would Romanians object if I got a Romania coat of arms tattoo even though I'm not a full blooded Romanian, even though I'm very proud of that heritage.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Since you posted this question on an internet board... you are pretty unsure of what you should choose to do. Therefore, take your time and think it through more. Dont do anything unless you are very very certain you wont regret it (at least not too much) in the short-term future, or in the long-run. A tattoo(in general) is called a "mark" ("insemn") in romanian. At least that is what mother told me when i came up with the idea(and i was pretty much your exact age :) )... She literally taught me to view perspective and not just the immediate 2 weeks or months. To be honest, she doesnt like the "tattoo" idea, but then again, she also knows every person is free to decide for their own selves, and deal with consequences. If any :P

A romanian coat of arms tattoo? :wink Weeeelll! Do tell! :D im quite curious on your Romanian ancestry! And no, i dont think, any Romanian level-headed citizen would object if someone took that decision for a tattoo.

Once again...think it more through. and when you have time, leave me a note on your Romanian roots.;)

Eliades
01-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Since you posted this question on an internet board... you are pretty unsure of what you should choose to do. Therefore, take your time and think it through more. Dont do anything unless you are very very certain you wont regret it (at least not too much) in the short-term future, or in the long-run. A tattoo(in general) is called a "mark" ("insemn") in romanian. At least that is what mother told me when i came up with the idea(and i was pretty much your exact age :) )... She literally taught me to view perspective and not just the immediate 2 weeks or months. To be honest, she doesnt like the "tattoo" idea, but then again, she also knows every person is free to decide for their own selves, and deal with consequences. If any :P

A romanian coat of arms tattoo? :wink Weeeelll! Do tell! :D im quite curious on your Romanian ancestry! And no, i dont think, any Romanian level-headed citizen would object if someone took that decision for a tattoo.

Once again...think it more through. and when you have time, leave me a note on your Romanian roots.;)

Want me too tell it all over here? PM, or Visitor message?

Treffie
01-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Personally, I think most tattoos are tacky. I came to this conclusion when I went to visit my 10 year old nephew who put a Spiderman stick-on transfer on my arm. :D