PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent people more at risk of mental illness, study finds

Babak
12-16-2017, 04:01 AM
Study surveys 3,715 members of American Mensa with an IQ higher than 130

The stereotype of a tortured genius may have a basis in reality after a new study found that people with higher IQs are more at risk of developing mental illness.

A team of US researchers surveyed 3,715 members of American Mensa with an IQ higher than 130. An “average IQ score” or “normal IQ score” can be defined as a score between 85 and 115.

The team asked the Mensa members to report whether they had been diagnoses with mental illnesses, including autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

They were also asked to report mood and anxiety disorders, or whether the suspected they suffered from any mental illnesses that had yet to be diagnosed, as well as physiological diseases, like food allergies and asthma.

After comparing this with the statistical national average for each illness they found that those in the Mensa community had considerably higher rates of varying disorders.

While 10 per cent of the general population were diagnosed with anxiety disorder, that rose to 20 per cent among the Mensa community, according to the study which published in the Science Direct journal.

Their research was based on model that suggests intelligent people with "hyper brains" are more reactive to environmental stimulus and that “may predispose them to certain psychological disorders as well as physiological conditions involving elevated sensory and altered immune and inflammatory responses".

Their study seemed to confirm this, as it suggested that because of their increased awareness levels, those with higher IQs react more to their environment. This creates a hyper brain/hyper body scenario, where they display a hyperactive central nervous system.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/intelligence-mental-illness-iq-study-findings-depression-a8005801.html

Odin
12-16-2017, 12:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPiah-8pCQk

Slavic Italian
12-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Study surveys 3,715 members of American Mensa with an IQ higher than 130

The stereotype of a tortured genius may have a basis in reality after a new study found that people with higher IQs are more at risk of developing mental illness.

A team of US researchers surveyed 3,715 members of American Mensa with an IQ higher than 130. An “average IQ score” or “normal IQ score” can be defined as a score between 85 and 115.

The team asked the Mensa members to report whether they had been diagnoses with mental illnesses, including autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

They were also asked to report mood and anxiety disorders, or whether the suspected they suffered from any mental illnesses that had yet to be diagnosed, as well as physiological diseases, like food allergies and asthma.

After comparing this with the statistical national average for each illness they found that those in the Mensa community had considerably higher rates of varying disorders.

While 10 per cent of the general population were diagnosed with anxiety disorder, that rose to 20 per cent among the Mensa community, according to the study which published in the Science Direct journal.

Their research was based on model that suggests intelligent people with "hyper brains" are more reactive to environmental stimulus and that “may predispose them to certain psychological disorders as well as physiological conditions involving elevated sensory and altered immune and inflammatory responses".

Their study seemed to confirm this, as it suggested that because of their increased awareness levels, those with higher IQs react more to their environment. This creates a hyper brain/hyper body scenario, where they display a hyperactive central nervous system.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/intelligence-mental-illness-iq-study-findings-depression-a8005801.html

I think a lot of issues stem when someone of higher intelligence sees someone doing better than what they are especially financially. A lot of people never come to the realization that it takes more than just intelligence for success. It takes proper networking. That saying who you know. It can also be a double edged sword. Who you know might hold you back as well.

spik
12-16-2017, 01:35 PM
Perhaps, it has something to do with members of MENSA rather than just people with high IQ.

Odin
05-21-2018, 08:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcc8XICDSrc

Larali
07-03-2018, 09:57 PM
Old news....

Seen it in my own family. The gifted ones often end up with schizo or bipolar or some such thing. The dumb ones get along in life just fine.

But crazy people like to say they are crazy because of their high IQ. Doesn't exactly work that way.

I think a lot of issues stem when someone of higher intelligence sees someone doing better than what they are especially financially. A lot of people never come to the realization that it takes more than just intelligence for success. It takes proper networking. That saying who you know. It can also be a double edged sword. Who you know might hold you back as well.

UGHHHHH. "proper networking" = Facebook. URGHHH

Then there are us smart ones who are too smart for our own good, because we don't use Facebook so we get held back. Such is life.

Odin
07-04-2018, 12:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWzhVauFbSU

Papa
07-26-2018, 03:44 AM
Perhaps, it has something to do with members of MENSA rather than just people with high IQ.

Good one.

High IQ people from MENSA got 20% "crazy", and they are significantly small on numbers compared to the general population.

The general population got 10% "crazy", but we don't know how much high IQ people there are among them. If those 10% are by chance all high IQ personnel, there would be something to infer...

Odin
08-10-2018, 12:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU3GMcmhDs0

Regnera
10-27-2018, 12:15 PM
Many people said so

Mr. Anybody
10-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Then keep calm the TA

Valu
10-27-2018, 01:06 PM
This

But crazy people like to say they are crazy because of their high IQ. Doesn't exactly work that way.

MissMischief
10-27-2018, 01:47 PM
I've noticed that intelligent people, in general, are prone to being more pessimistic because they have the tendency to look really deeply into things and over-analyze them - it gets depressing after a while.

If you question too much, you dig yourself into an existential hole you can't climb out of. Also, they strive for perfection in most of the things they do. Over-analysis, over-thinking and perfectionism can induce stress, and stress is linked to anxiety, depression and/or other types of mental disorders.

As they say, ignorance is bliss and stupid people are more easily pleased by meaningless crap instead.

Slavic Italian
10-27-2018, 01:54 PM
I've noticed that intelligent people, in general, are prone to being more pessimistic because they have the tendency to look really deeply into things and over-analyze them - it gets depressing after a while.

If you question too much, you dig yourself into an existential hole you can't climb out of. Also, they strive for perfection in most of the things they do. Over-analysis, over-thinking and perfectionism can induce stress, and stress is linked to anxiety, depression and/or other types of mental disorders.

As they say, ignorance is bliss and stupid people are more easily pleased by meaningless crap instead.

This.

Methuselah
10-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Over-analysis, over-thinking and perfectionism can induce stress, and stress is linked to anxiety, depression and/or other types of mental disorders.

Many great minds were quite neurotic and very sensitive/ impulsive since their birth. Quite a lot showed signs of autism and mental health issues. So that neurotic behaviour pattern is already there. I'm talking about people who are not only smart, but innovative as well. Being creative can get messy. Being intelligent can get dumb.

Questioning things, however, is the salt of life in my opinion. I think it can be very fascinating and magical, regardless of how tough life is. Some years ago, my roommate got a bit depressed after we talked about life and the big bang and what not for hours one evening. Next morning he was like, dude shut the f*ck up, i couldn't sleep at all and was getting panic attacks while thinking on how lonely we are in this universe. And i was very surprised about this, because i couldn't think about more fascinating things than that personally. He thinks everything is very meaningless. But the laws of nature are not meaningless. Because of them quarks found each over. I think dumb people can't see beauty and meaningful things. And they can get very negative. But it's not even about being smart or dumb. It's about choosing right things. Staying humble, elastic, fascinated and open minded (but not too uncertain) is something that clever people do i have noticed.

Papastratosels26
10-27-2018, 05:16 PM
Many said so.

Στάλθηκε από το G3311 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Kamal900
10-27-2018, 05:18 PM
My big brother, who's IQ level is over 140, suffers from severe OCD.

rein
10-27-2018, 05:20 PM
Goes both ways: mental retardation on a lower end.

Methuselah
10-28-2018, 06:33 PM
My big brother, who's IQ level is over 140, suffers from severe OCD.

Did he wash his hands every 5 minutes as a kid?

Kamal900
10-28-2018, 07:49 PM
Did he wash his hands every 5 minutes as a kid?

Um..sort of, but he doesn't have fear of germs or anything like that.

Cristiano viejo
10-28-2018, 08:05 PM
Well, Colonel Francisco Franco Grimes says I am mentally ill, so it makes sense :p

Incal
10-28-2018, 10:21 PM
Maybe that's why the first world is full of psychos.