PDA

View Full Version : Why would you marry someone?

blan
01-17-2011, 01:38 AM
why would you marry someone,
would it be for love, for logic, for security economic/build a life. or maybe a mixture of all those things, and how do you know it is the right person?
what reasons would you dedicate yourself to another person?

Sahson
01-17-2011, 02:14 AM
Love, build a life/family.
but definitely for love...

The Ripper
01-17-2011, 08:12 AM
I would marry for improved logistics.

Debaser11
01-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Love/family.

Motörhead Remember Me
01-17-2011, 10:25 AM
For pure madness.

Tom Cat
01-22-2011, 09:10 PM
why would you marry someone,
would it be for love, for logic, for security economic/build a life. or maybe a mixture of all those things, and how do you know it is the right person?
what reasons would you dedicate yourself to another person?

Never get married for any reason other than mutual love.

My wife and I were in our early thirties when we decided to get married. We had both accumulated some baggage due to previous relationships that went sour, or just weren't meant to be. After clearing away the accumulated clutter, we knew we were meant to share our lives together as husband and wife till death do us part.

My wife is my soulmate. I'd be lost without her. She is indeed my better half.

A good idea to remember throughout life as a husband, or wife:

Ask not what your spouse can do for you. Ask what you can do for your spouse.

2DREZQ
01-28-2011, 05:09 PM
To commit Suicide.

My wife would kill me if I married someone else!

Seriously: We married for love, and because she filled in all the 'gaps' in me.

Foxy
02-01-2011, 11:31 PM
I think that a family is a sort of business and with the signature of the wedding you start it with the partner you choosed. I really could not marry a person that I don't trust, excactly like I could not start a business with a person that I don't trust. It means that first there must be the basic conditions to marry (money and stable jobs, a house).

So to marry is to transform the relation from a mere "Ok, we love each others and stay together" in a "Now we start this business, i.e. we make a family and invest in it seriously, doing the same sacrifices we'd do for a company". The purpose of the investment is the happyness of all and the good working of the "firm". It the thing works you'll have a good elderly and your sons will have success.

I guess this is the typical Italian thought, that's why in Italy the divorce rate is low. To divorce is like to decleare bunkrupt.

Guapo
02-01-2011, 11:33 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HQsVG64eYXg/TP0Z-gGcVHI/AAAAAAAAADo/qZyO_o3qw6c/s1600/for+the+lulz.jpeg

Fortis in Arduis
02-01-2011, 11:36 PM
I would marry for joint life insurance.

Loki
02-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Seriously: We married for love, and because she filled in all the 'gaps' in me.

I think that's how you would recognise a genuine quality partner. An unsuitable one would criticize your gaps (which we all have), but the right one would see them as opportunities and even love them. If your partner starts to criticize you for silly little things, it's time to get worried and question your relationship.

Piparskeggr
02-02-2011, 12:15 AM
I married the woman I love, still very deeply (33 years together tomorrow).

She married me (after 4 years, 4 months, and 24 days) because she realized we complemented each other so well.

Lulletje Rozewater
02-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Love cleaning the floor with your bum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDKEG4j3NKc&feature=related

Lulletje Rozewater
02-02-2011, 02:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDKEG4j3NKc&feature=related

Curtis24
02-02-2011, 04:35 AM
Only if someone proposes to me(and I love the person, obviously :p) I figure, that if someone wants to marry me bad enough to bring it up first, then they're willing to put up with my faults, and the marriage could work. Any marriage where I had to propose first, would probably fail, since my partner wouldn't want it bad enough, or something.

I know, I have a weird thought process, but there it is :p

Óttar
02-02-2011, 04:57 AM
Because I want to feel like I belong to that person. I want more than merely 'tying the knot'... give me the 'ball and chain', balls-in-chains, all of it. It would be for love and security. That warm, safe feeling. The feeling of an indissoluble bond, mystical self-annihilation almost. Me as the subject, uniting with the object, becoming fused. The things associated with marriage, security, bonding, rings (rings symbolise being bound.) I've always been sympathetic to marriage and I don't understand why we have a culture that consistently mocks it.

My right person is tender, smart and firm. They know they have power and they know that power can heal. They are responsible, in control of themselves, and they possess an active, dynamic energy.

mymy
02-07-2011, 09:23 PM
You share life with someone because you feel deep soul connection with that person and love that person with all your passion... Official marriage is bureaucratic thing. But sometimes is necessary, for example if people live in different countries it is easier for them to sign paper and don't worry about visas and so on.

princess
03-02-2011, 08:56 PM
I think marriage is a sign of commitment, love and dedication to another person. Or at least it should be :P

Svipdag
03-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Pardon my cynicism, but it has been my observation that most men marry for guaranteed sex and most women marry for security.

Winged Hussar
03-06-2011, 05:17 PM
For love, happiness, and children.

Germanicus
03-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Pardon my cynicism, but it has been my observation that most men marry for guaranteed sex and most women marry for security.

I remarried again because my new wife had a pile of money i wanted to get my hands on, and she wanted security.:eek:

Fortis in Arduis
03-06-2011, 06:00 PM
I remarried again because my new wife had a pile of money i wanted to get my hands on, and she wanted security.:eek:

I have a friend whose great aunt and great uncle married each other for their money, both to discover that neither had any!

Germanicus
03-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I have a friend whose great aunt and great uncle married each other for their money, both to discover that neither had any!

Do you think honestly i'd make that mistake? No honestly i married her for love, not for money.

Lenny
03-07-2011, 01:55 AM
And today's age of
1.) Promiscuity and socially-accepted extramarital sex, and
2.) Women having near equal earning power as men,

...has meant marriage has declined and continues to decline, unfortunately.

To wit:
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/928/birthsunmarried.png

A poll finds 4-in-10 Americans think "Marriage is Obsolete" (http://www.the-spearhead.com/2010/11/19/in-the-us-39-believe-marriage-is-obsolete/).

Winged Hussar
03-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Somebody should marry also out of a sense of civic duty since a strong family is the most basic ingredient of a strong society.

2DREZQ
03-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Somebody should marry also out of a sense of civic duty since a strong family is the most basic ingredient of a strong society.

"Hey Lover, Let's get married. After all it's our duty!"

Yeah, that sounds like a sure-fire route to eternal Bachelorhood.

Cato
03-09-2011, 03:23 PM
"Hey Lover, Let's get married. After all it's our duty!"

Yeah, that sounds like a sure-fire route to eternal Bachelorhood.

LOL, well the Stoics had a similar frame of mind and taught as much: it was a duty to Gods/the gods for healthy men and women to marry, begit offspring, and continue the human race. :wink What you call "eternal bachelorhood" is something that they frowned very highly upon.

2DREZQ
03-09-2011, 04:13 PM
"eternal bachelorhood" is something that they frowned very highly upon.

Those Darn Stoics did quite a lot of frowning, didn't they?

Love is the only reason to get married, really.

The flaw, societally, is that about 70% of the populace hasn't got the first damned idea WHAT LOVE actually is.

Most of them think it is an emotion. Emotions are the worst reason to make any decision.

Tolleson
03-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Because of debt threats, I am unable to participate in this thread! :D

_______
04-24-2011, 10:57 PM
love, security, to start a family

Curtis24
04-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure if I would, at least not until I'm 40.

shortskirtlongjacket
05-04-2011, 02:03 AM
I've been interested in what others would say on this subject. I'm in my late 40's, been married (and divorced) twice. Last summer, I met the man with whom I now live in an exclusive relationship, and we both feel deeply that we spent our lives up until then being "prepared" for each other. Too soon and we wouldn't have been ready to really appreciate the other, is another way to put it.

We have love. We don't think the "security" issue is actually valid. We're too old to want to start another family.

Why would we marry? If we both agreed that it would be to our mutual benefit, especially with regards to finances, tax implications, and most especially, protection of our rights regarding hospitalization and death. We are not seriously contemplating it right now. We feel as bonded to one another as possible, without the state's "approval."

I do believe in marriage for people who intend to have children together. I also think that if someone wants to protect their beloved's rights because of family that might cause problems, marriage is a way to do it. But, unlike when I was young, it isn't really a big deal to me now.

Moonbird
08-29-2011, 09:45 PM
I would marry if I were to start a family. I'm old-fashioned in that way, I think it's better for the children if the parents are married and not just living together.

Logan
08-30-2011, 03:15 AM
I've seen quite a few good responces on this thread.

I should think when I come upon someone, that I wouldn't wish to be parted from.

Dark Angel
08-30-2011, 03:20 AM
only for love

larali
09-20-2011, 09:08 PM
I married a guy so I could have babies and a family :)

The house, companionship, sex, sex, sex, was just a bonus...

Wanderlust
09-20-2011, 09:17 PM
..only to raise a family.:)

research_centre
09-20-2011, 09:17 PM
I am sorry but reading this thread is like sitting through a bad opera.

BanjaLuka
09-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Why???

Because the only way to divorce someone is to first marry someone...:lightbul:

Laubach
09-25-2011, 04:35 AM
I married for love, because I always wanted to build a family and perpetuate my generation. I am married for one month and I am living a wonderful time. You have a person who can love unconditionally, companion, friend, are priceless. I for one am done in my love life

1stLightHorse
03-17-2013, 05:46 AM
I married for love, because I always wanted to build a family and perpetuate my generation. I am married for one month and I am living a wonderful time. You have a person who can love unconditionally, companion, friend, are priceless. I for one am done in my love life

As a male i would marry a woman based on...

Her genetic traits and her behaviours. What would she be like as a mother? what is her attitude toward children? would she procreate strong, tall children with me and raise them with strong personalities and beliefs? is she uncompromising and does she speak her mind? I make enough money, so whether she wants to work is entirely up to her. I don't expect her to be dutiful to me like a servant, but i expect her duty to lie first with our children. The expectation of myself is to be kind and loving to her and understanding of her obligations as she should be of mine. She doesn't have to be beautiful at all, if she passes the above criteria, she can have the face of an ogre for all i care, i have a genuine love for these traits and naturally for any woman who possesses them.

After this has been assessed, i will pursue.

I don't think is too much to ask, really. Especially considering the racial and cultural dysgenesis in which we live today.

Dominika
03-17-2013, 12:56 PM
I would marry someone because that's better to follow the life with someone than alone :)
Besides the love and the impulse to create family.

Virtuous
03-17-2013, 12:57 PM
*foreveralone*

Grenzland
03-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Marriage is a promise to stay together for ever and until death divides them again. That's how I see marriage and I want to marry my future wife.

Twistedmind
03-17-2013, 01:44 PM
I woul marry some girl on basis of her looks and character :) For rest I cosign Grenz's message :)

Baldur
03-17-2013, 02:12 PM
http://funmeme.com/image.axd?picture=AGoodWife-Meme.jpg

StonyArabia
03-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Because you simply need a helper and she needs one to.

Mortimer
03-20-2013, 07:44 AM
for love and to built a life/family

American_Hispanist
03-20-2013, 07:48 AM
love and convenience, like many marriages.

Aredhel
03-20-2013, 07:52 AM
In this moment of my life I don't see why should I marry someone honestly, besides I don't like children.

Forever alone :laugh:

riverman
03-20-2013, 07:55 AM
forever alone

The Alchemist
03-20-2013, 01:18 PM
I never found an answer to this question, but i always wondered why are most people obsessed with it, the majority seems to marry someone just for a sort of social convention, imo, coz othewise "What do people say about me if i don't get married??".
Just a small minority get married for love, and i find it depressing. I'll marry someone only if he's really the right person for me, and it's very hard to find.

RenaRyuguu
10-22-2021, 11:31 PM
if I meet my soulmate I don't need to marry them cuz Ik they won't hurt me or harm like some did indifference is bad in relationships common interests and hobbies only count. Political and other views also do