PDA

View Full Version : Rate My Workout: Undulating Periodization

Sword of the Morning
01-18-2011, 05:16 PM
So, for the last few months I've cycled through several resistance training workouts, beginning with ones designed to increase stabilization endurance and neuromuscular efficiency, moving on to hypertrophy and, most recently, increasing strength and power.

I'm about to start taking a hybridized approach to my workouts, wherein each day will help to produce a different adaptation. I'll follow this for 4-6 weeks before switching over to a pure hypertrophy-based routine. Each day is a full-body workout, includes core work at the end, and will be performed once in a circuit.

(Monday-Wednesday-Friday)

Day One: Strength Endurance, 8-12 reps

1x Seated Arnold Press
1x Incline DB Press
1x Chin-ups
1x Cable Pressdown
1x Cable EZ Bar Curl
1x Leg Press
1x Hamstring Curl

[Note: Each exercise is part of a compound set which is immediately followed by a similar exercise performed at a much lighter weight, with a slower tempo, and in position which challenges the body's balance capabilities.]

Day Two: Stabilization, 12-20 reps

1x Lateral Raises
1x Ball DB Chest Press
1x Ball DB Row
1x Triceps Extension
1x DB Curl
1x Prisoner Squats
1x Alternating Calf Raises

[Note: Like the secondary exercises on Day One, each movement consists of light weight, a slow tempo, and a stabilization-enhancing posture (standing, one-legged, exercise ball, bosu ball, etc.). Perform circuit twice.]

Day Three: Strength, 3-5 reps

1x Seated Military Press
1x Bench Press
1x BB Row
1x French Press
1x EZ Bar Curl
1x Squat
1x Romanian Deadlift

[Note: Whereas on days one and two I'll be moving as briskly as possible from exercise to exercise, here I'll be resting between motions as needed. I'm wondering whether the arm work is superfluous here or whether it's worth keeping.]

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, lads and lasses, and if you're wondering about the methodology behind anything (or lack thereof) just ask!

Imperivm
01-18-2011, 05:36 PM
This site is worth reading (http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/). The "5x5 strong-lift program" has been recommended to me by friends who claim it works better than any other program. Personally I isolate parts of my body for each day I work out in order to allow maximum muscular recovery time. As long as you lift heavy weights, work hard, give your body rest days and most importantly have a high protein diet (90g per day) with minimised carbohydrate then you will put on muscle and be stronger.

Sword of the Morning
01-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks for that! I'm just coming off 5 weeks of a very similar routine (I included more [Romanian] deadlifts, less squats, and an arm day, and did 3x5 instead of 5x5, but other than that it's almost identical). I agree that this is an excellent strength workout, and one which any beginner would do well to investigate.

However, my goal with the routine in the OP is to revisit the stabilization and endurance phases of training while continuing to progress my strength. I've never been as strong as I am now, and I credit the stabilization work with a great deal of that.

Imperivm
01-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Just lift heavy weights and have the correct diet, it's basic but works. Obviously, if you have an ideal weight and body type for a type of sport then adjust your work out accordingly ie- replace mass exercises with core exercises, however, it will take you quite a while to get 'too big' so bare that in mind when planning your goals. Overall I would say keep things basic and stay committed, you will be rewarded with the benefits.

Psychonaut
01-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Why are you only doing one set per exercise? Are you a devotee of Mentzer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mentzer) or Yates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorian_Yates)?

Sword of the Morning
01-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Why are you only doing one set per exercise? Are you a devotee of Mentzer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mentzer) or Yates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorian_Yates)?

Not as such, no--in fact, the set range is something I'm not quite certain about here. I've never followed a hybridized routine before, and, in light of the fact that I've doing full body three times a week, I'm a bit wary of overtraining.

Would you suggest performing the circuit a second time on day one as well?

Fortis in Arduis
01-18-2011, 06:36 PM
I think that it looks amazing for a three day a week stress and recover routine.

If it is possible, write down and keep detailed records of your progress and that will help you modulate the routine.

I am impressed. :thumbs

Psychonaut
01-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Not as such, no--in fact, the set range is something I'm not quite certain about here. I've never followed a hybridized routine before, and, in light of the fact that I've doing full body three times a week, I'm a bit wary of overtraining.

Would you suggest performing the circuit a second time on day one as well?

Personally, I'd drop the idea of doing a full body routine three times a week if you're after anything aside from endurance. If you're physically able (without enhancements (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabolic_steroids)) to work all muscle groups thrice weekly, then I'd venture that you're cheating yourself in terms of both sarcoplasmic (strength) and myofibrillar (size) hypertrophy. Some people seem to get sarcoplasmic gains while hitting a muscle group more than once a week, but almost every lifter I know (be they powerlifters or bodybuilder types) sticks to a once a week cycle. My own experience was that in my martial arts days I trained whole body five days a week. I did that for about five years and saw slight gains in size and strength, but those gains were dramatically overshadowed by the switch to a once a week cycle. But, your mileage may vary.

Psychonaut
01-18-2011, 06:50 PM
As long as you lift heavy weights, work hard, give your body rest days and most importantly have a high protein diet (90g per day) with minimised carbohydrate then you will put on muscle and be stronger.

Whoa there, bucko.

Minimizing your carbohydrate intake will not assist you in putting on muscle. Most lifters work their diet in two cycles: gain and cut. For both, you need a relatively high protein intake (1 to 1.5 grams per pound of lean body mass is what you usually see recommended). But for a gain cycle you want a high intake of complex carbohydrates (however much above your maintenance level you require to grow). If your caloric intake is less than your output (as it should be in a cut cycle), you will lose rather than gain weight. Since it is generally not possible to sustain gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time for more than a few weeks, most long term lifters work their diet in gain/cut cycles that last a few months.

Sword of the Morning
01-18-2011, 07:08 PM
I think that it looks amazing for a three day a week stress and recover routine.

If it is possible, write down and keep detailed records of your progress and that will help you modulate the routine.

I am impressed. :thumbs

Thanks!

I've been in the habit of keeping a workout log ever since I explored German Volume Training (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/german-volume-training-for-shocking-muscle-growth.html) for hypertrophy a couple months ago, and you're absolutely right in saying that it can be an enormous boon.

Personally, I'd drop the idea of doing a full body routine three times a week if you're after anything aside from endurance. If you're physically able (without enhancements (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabolic_steroids)) to work all muscle groups thrice weekly, then I'd venture that you're cheating yourself in terms of both sarcoplasmic (strength) and myofibrillar (size) hypertrophy. Some people seem to get sarcoplasmic gains while hitting a muscle group more than once a week, but almost every lifter I know (be they powerlifters or bodybuilder types) sticks to a once a week cycle. My own experience was that in my martial arts days I trained whole body five days a week. I did that for about five years and saw slight gains in size and strength, but those gains were dramatically overshadowed by the switch to a once a week cycle. But, your mileage may vary.

Inasmuch as pure strength and/or hypertrophy gains are concerned, I'm 100% with ya.

However, this is my thought process (and I realize now that I didn't lay it out as clearly as I should have):

I've made some nice all-around gains in the past several months following a plan which progressed me through several phases of adaptations:

Stabilization-->Endurance-->Hypertrophy-->Strength+Power

I firmly believe that the earlier phases of training are crucial to the relative effect of the latter phases, in light of that fact that I've met with more success following this progression than I have in the last 2-3 years of "lifting just to lift." Now, that speaks as much to the ignorance and negligence on my part until recently as it does to anything else, but I still feel that the theory behind this path is solid.

Having just finished five weeks of training for strength and power, I wish to revisit the stabilization and endurance phases of training; but I also don't want to spend several weeks without lifting any real weights, either.

My goal here is to improve my muscular endurance (Day One), stabilization (Day Two), and strength (Day Three), so that the next time I train for hypertrophy or strength+power I'll see better results than I have in the past. Also, this will serve as something of a deloading period after the stress my muscles and joints have been under the past several weeks.

Bearing all that in mind, does the notion of full-body 3x/week sound any more reasonable to you? Thanks for your help thus far; it's much appreciated. :thumbs up

Imperivm
01-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Whoa there, bucko.

Minimizing your carbohydrate intake will not assist you in putting on muscle. Most lifters work their diet in two cycles: gain and cut. For both, you need a relatively high protein intake (1 to 1.5 grams per pound of lean body mass is what you usually see recommended). But for a gain cycle you want a high intake of complex carbohydrates (however much above your maintenance level you require to grow). If your caloric intake is less than your output (as it should be in a cut cycle), you will lose rather than gain weight. Since it is generally not possible to sustain gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time for more than a few weeks, most long term lifters work their diet in gain/cut cycles that last a few months.

Thanks for pointing that out, I REALLY should have said 'do not have a carbohydrate excessive diet' what with meat (main protein source) having high amounts of fat. Personally I try to avoid heavy carbohydrate foodstuffs(pasta for instance). Reason being, in my opinion, results in 'bulky gains' on the upper body, which for somebody who plays the sports I do can result in injury. But thanks for your explanation of the importance of carbohydrate with the 'gain and cut cycle', you are completely right because it's not as if you HAVE to stick to a fixed diet. :thumbs up

Psychonaut
01-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Bearing all that in mind, does the notion of full-body 3x/week sound any more reasonable to you? Thanks for your help thus far; it's much appreciated. :thumbs up

I suppose, although I'm curious why you're particularly interested in training for muscular endurance. Most of the guys I know who train for that are fighters. Do you have a special need for endurance that simple cardio training cannot provide?

Sword of the Morning
01-18-2011, 09:04 PM
I suppose, although I'm curious why you're particularly interested in training for muscular endurance. Most of the guys I know who train for that are fighters. Do you have a special need for endurance that simple cardio training cannot provide?

Well, when you phrase it that way--not really, leaving aside the fact that my endurance probably needs work, since my cardio training is erratic at best. :D

Psychonaut
01-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Well, when you phrase it that way--not really, leaving aside the fact that my endurance probably needs work, since my cardio training is erratic at best. :D

It just seems like, if you don't really need it for something like boxing or wrestling, it's putting an unnecessary kink in your rotation. If, say, you were to throw that out and do hypertrophy one week (or month) and strength the next, I'd venture that your gains would be better.

Sword of the Morning
01-18-2011, 09:36 PM
It just seems like, if you don't really need it for something like boxing or wrestling, it's putting an unnecessary kink in your rotation. If, say, you were to throw that out and do hypertrophy one week (or month) and strength the next, I'd venture that your gains would be better.

I can't really argue with you here. :thumb001:

I think I'm going to give this a shot anyway, not least because I'm feeling like a bit of deloading would do me well at this moment in time. Hopefully I'll be able to continue with my strength gains (which I'll be able to gauge by my lifts on Day Three); but in the event that I stagnate, I won't hesitate to switch over to something like Imperivm suggested.

Sword of the Morning
02-13-2011, 11:11 PM
So, I'm all finished with this program. I wasn't thrilled with it at first, but it definitely grew on me. I found the slow tempo on Stabilization day to have merits all its own--I had an excellent workout snowed in at home using only my girlfriend's 2, 5, and 8-pound dumbbells. :embarrassed

The strength gains were so-so, but that was never the primary desired adaptation. I did manage to hit the Military Press for a set of 5 at 190, which I was pretty happy with. My Bench Press stagnated badly, though, and it's my chest that's the weak link. Time to start incorporating some Weighted Dips, it seems!

I was able to add more mass than I had anticipated as well, though that's mostly down to me finally getting my act together and upping my caloric intake. All told, I had a decent time of it on this program, and wouldn't hesitate to return to something like this in the future. For now, though, it's onward to Layne Norton's Power/Hypertrophy Routine:

Day One, Upper Power:
3 or 4 Compound pressing and pulling movements, 3-5 sets in the 5 rep range, and 1 Accessory Movement

Day Two, Lower Power:
2 or 3 Squatting and Deadlifting movements, 3-5 sets in the 5 rep range, and 1 Accessory Movement

Day Three, Off

Day Four, Hypertrophy Chest/Arms:

3 Benching movements, 2-3 sets in the 8-12 rep range. 1-2 reps short of failure.
3 Supersets consisting of 2 exercises each, 3 biceps and 3 triceps, 3 sets in the 8-12 range, 1-2 reps short of failure.
1 Chest accessory exercises, 3 sets, 8-12 reps, 1-2 reps short of failure.

Day Five, Hypertrophy Shoulders/Back/Traps:

4 Supersets consisting of 2 exercises each, 3 Shoulders and 3 Backs in the 8-12 reps range, and 2 Traps in the 10-15 rep range, 2-3 sets each. 1-2 reps short of failure.
1 Optional Back compound, 2 sets in the 8-12 rep range, 1-2 reps short of failure.

Day Six, Hypertrophy Legs/Calves:
2 Supersets consisting of 2-3 exercises each, 4-5 sets in the 8-15 range. 1-2 reps short of failure.

Day Seven, Off

Template

Sunday: Upper Power

-5x5 or 3x5 for all lifts(5x5 on bulk cause recovery is better, 3x5 on cut)
-Barbell Bench Press
-Barbell Rows
-Military Press
-Barbell Shrugs

Monday: Lower Power

-5x5 or 3x5 for all lifts(5x5 on bulk cause recovery is better, 3x5 on cut)
-Back Squat
-Stiff Leg Deadlift, Or Romanian DL
-6-8 sets of Standing Calf, little higher reps, i like to do 6-8 on heavy days

Tues: Off (I usually do some cardio)

Wednesday: Hypertrophy Chest/Arms

(For hypertrophy days i never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
-DB Incline Bech 3x8-12
-Barbell Close Grip Bench 3x8-12
-DB Flat Bench 2x8-12
-Preacher Curls 3x8-12 super setted with
-Standing French Press 3x8-12
-Push Downs 3x8-12 super setted with
-DB Hammer Curls
-Cable Crossovers 3x8-12
-Machine Curl 3x8-12 supersetted with
-Machine Dips 3x8-12

Thursday: Hypertrophy Shoulders/Back/Traps
(For hypertrophy days i never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)

-DB Shoulder Press 3x8-12 super setted with
-DB Front Raise 3x8-12
-DB One Arm Row 3x8-12 super setted with
-DB Arnold Press 3x8-12
-Lat Pull Down (Wide Grip) 2x8-12 super setted with
-DB Shrugs 2x10-15
-Lat Pull Down (Close grip, palms facing in) 2x8-12 super setted with
-DB Upright Row 2x10-15
-T-bar row 2x8-12 (Usually too tired/dead to do this last exercise, but some times i do it)

Friday: Hypertrophy Legs/Calves
(For hypertrophy days i never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before
failure)

-Hack Squat 5x8-12 super setted with
-Standing Calf 5x10-15
-Leg Extensions 5x10-15 super setted with
-Sitting Leg Curls 5x10-15 super setted with
-Sitting Calf Raise 4x8-12

Saturday: Off (cardio if you want)

It's more volume than I've ever done, but I'm ready as hell. :viking1: