PDA

View Full Version : "Apollo's Angels" the Death Knell for Ballet?

Egbert
01-20-2011, 06:36 PM
I happened upon an interesting book recently, "Apollo's Angels" by Jennifer Homans on the history of ballet, particularly the author's epilogue regarding it's death. I do not consider myself an aficionado on the subject, but I do profoundly appreciate high art. I was curious if others here might also lament such a loss as it relates to Western culture, if most would simply see it as part and parcel of Spenglerian decline and societal equalitarianism or if it would be dismissed outright in favour of more folkish tribal dancing?

I'd like to recommend the book regardless, some excerpts follow:

I grew up with ballet and have devoted my life to studying, dancing, seeing, and understanding it. I have always loved watching it. When I first began work on this book, I imagined it would end on a positive note. But in recent years I have found going to the ballet increasingly dispiriting. With depressingly few exceptions, performances are dull and lack vitality; theaters feel haunted and audiences seem blasé. After years of trying to convince myself otherwise, I now feel sure that ballet is dying. The occasional glimmer of a good performance or a fine dancer is not a ray of future hope but the last glow of a dying ember, and our intense preoccupation with re-creating history is more than a momentary diversion: we are watching ballet go, documenting its past and its passing before it fades altogether.

Today we no longer believe in ballet’s ideals. We are skeptical of elitism and skill, which seem to us exclusionary and divisive. Those privileged enough to obtain specialized training, so this thinking goes, should not be elevated above those with limited access to knowledge or art. We want to expand and include: we are all dancers now. Ballet’s fine manners and implicitly aristocratic airs, its white swans, regal splendor, and beautiful women on pointe (pedestals), seem woefully outmoded, the province of dead white men and society ladies in long-ago places.

Over the past two decades ballet has come to resemble a dying language: Apollo and his angels are understood and appreciated by a shrinking circle of old believers in a closed corner of culture. The story—our story—may be coming to a close.

from "Apollo's Angels: A History of Ballet" by Jennifer Homans

Eldritch
01-20-2011, 07:18 PM
I don't know the first thing about ballet, but since it is peripherally associated with classical music, this thread might be of interest (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17668).

Because of the internet, there are any number of things that 20 years ago seemed doomed to oblivion, yet are now making a comeback. Pipe smoking and sharp, classic menswear being a couple of examples off the top of my head.