PDA

View Full Version : ATM 'spits out' money in Dundee

Graham
01-20-2011, 07:41 PM
20 January 2011 Last updated at 18:22

ATM 'spits out' money in Dundee

Dozens of people flocked to a cash machine in Dundee after it started "spitting out" money, it has emerged.

Police were called to the Scotmid branch in Fintry Road after staff noticed a crowd gathering outside the ATM at the front of the shop.

A witness told the BBC Scotland news website the machine was paying out double the amounts requested.

The ATM, which is operated by Bank Machine Ltd, was put out of commission shortly afterwards.

'Smiles on faces'

One witness, who asked not to be named, said: "The machine was spitting out money.

"There were 50 or 60 people queuing outside the shop and people were running around with smiles on their faces, saying it was paying out double the amount people were asking for."

Scotmid said the ATM was operated independently and was not connected to the store.

A spokesman said: "Some of our staff at our store noticed large queues forming outside and they became a bit concerned. They could not get close enough to the machine to check out what was going on so they did exactly the right thing and called the police."

Tayside Police confirmed they attended the scene, adding there had been no incidents.

Bank Machine Ltd was not available for comment.
hahaha!! a wish a was there. If a knew earlier a would have phoned my brother to get up there( lives in dundee).:thumbs up

Free Money!!! YAAAS!!

Tolleson
01-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Nothing is free! :coffee:

Of course there would be no record of transactions during that period of time. :lightbul: Theft is theft but some people will justify it because it is the Big Bad Bank. :rolleyes:

Graham
01-21-2011, 01:54 PM
]Cash machine error customers can keep bonus money

Dozens of people who took advantage of a cash machine paying out double the requested amount will not have to return the extra money.

Bank Machine Ltd confirmed it would not pursue anyone for the cash and said it was up to an individual's "conscience".

Crowds gathered at the cash machine on Fintry Road, Dundee, on Thursday evening when rumours spread it was "spilling out" cash.

The company said they would not disclose the amount of money lost.

A Bank Machine Ltd spokeswoman said: "We are not going to pursue people. It is up to their conscience whether they return the money or not.

"If they wish to return the money, the helpline number to contact is on the ATM."

Large crowd

Managing director Ron Delnevo said earlier that the error had occurred because the cash cassettes had been packed incorrectly.

He added: "It is not surprising that this causes some excitement locally. Because it happens so rarely and is dealt with very quickly when it arises, there is no point in being grim-faced about it.

"If the people using the ATM see it as a bit of fun, so be it."

Police were called to the Scotmid store when staff noticed the growing crowd gathering outside the cash machine at the front of the shop.

A witness, who asked not to be named, said he estimated that about 50 or 60 people were queuing to use the machine at one point, with others running around with "smiles on their faces".

The ATM - which was not connected to the Scotmid store - was shut down shortly after the company was alerted to the problem.

Cha Ching!!loadsa money :D

The Lawspeaker
01-21-2011, 01:59 PM
That's it: I am going to Dundee ! :D
Screw the bank.

Murphy
01-21-2011, 02:24 PM
That's it: I am going to Dundee ! :D
Screw the bank.

You will regret that Tristan :D!

The Lawspeaker
01-21-2011, 02:29 PM
You will regret that Tristan :D!
I know I wouldn't :D I will go home richer then I was before I went there ^^

Graham
01-21-2011, 02:32 PM
fundee, the sunniest city and only city to face South in Scotland. :P

Allenson
01-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Ha-ha!

One time, years ago, I was at a laundrymat and for every dollar bill I put into the change machine, it spit out eight quarters instead of four.

Laundry on the house, biotch! ;)

Fortis in Arduis
01-21-2011, 05:47 PM
lol Dundee comes up trumps. :thumbs

Nglund
01-21-2011, 06:06 PM
How dare you claim Scots are stingy? ;):p!

Graham
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
How dare you claim Scots are stingy? ;):p!

Hey, every penny's a prisoner :thumb001: ye know tough times.