PDA

View Full Version : After Trump tweets, US to announce plans to cancel aid to Pakistan

Mingle
01-04-2018, 03:19 AM
The Trump administration will announce plans to "cancel" security assistance to Pakistan, a congressional source confirms to ABC News after State Department officials called Capitol Hill Wednesday morning to inform members of Congress.

The move comes as President Trump has ramped up his criticism of the unsteady American ally in tweets that blasted the country for giving the U.S. "nothing but lies & deceit."

Pakistan is a key partner in the fight against terrorism, but the U.S. has also accused it of supporting terror groups like the Haqqani Network, an independent division of the Taliban responsible for multiple attacks in neighboring Afghanistan.

The State Department declined to comment, as did White House spokesperson Sarah Huckabee Sanders during her briefing Wednesday, saying, "We'll continue to keep you posted as those decisions are finalized."

In a tweet Monday, Trump accused Pakistan of taking "more than 33 billion dollars in aid over the last 15 years" and in return providing "safe haven to the terrorists we hunt in Afghanistan, with little help."

"No more!" he vowed.

The comments stirred angry reaction from Pakistan, where protesters burned Trump's image and American flags. The Prime Minister's office issued a long statement condemning Trump's "completely incomprehensible" statement that "contradicted facts manifestly, struck with great insensitivity at the trust between two nations built over generations, and negated the decades of sacrifices made by the Pakistani nation."

The statement went on to defend Pakistan's record on terrorism, but did not preview any changes in the U.S.-Pakistani relationship: "Despite all unwarranted allegations, Pakistan cannot act in haste and will remain committed to playing a constructive role towards an Afghan-led and Afghan-owned peace process."

The State Department did not specify to Congress what kind of security assistance was being "canceled," how much money it would be, and whether it was temporary or permanent, except to say that, "This is what we're doing," according to the congressional source.

The move will include the $255 million the administration withheld from Pakistan at the end of August as part of the administration's new South Asia strategy, which called on Pakistan to do more to take out terrorists.

"We have been paying Pakistan billions and billions of dollars at the same time they are housing the very terrorists that we are fighting, but that will have to change, and that will change immediately," Trump said in a major address of the new strategy on August 21. "It is time for Pakistan to demonstrate its commitment to civilization, order, and to peace."

That $255 million in funds, called foreign military financing, was put on hold so that it did not expire with the new fiscal year, but would not be given to Pakistan either -- until the country started "delivering results," the State Department said at the time.

What's also unclear is how much more funding will now be withheld, if any. The State Department had told Congress the announcement would come Wednesday, but there was no word by the end of the day.

"The action they have taken to date is not insubstantial, but it’s not complete. Pakistan must ultimately decide for itself the degree to which groups like the Taliban and Haqqani Network threaten its place in the international community," the State Department said August 31.

Since then, relations seemed to improve. In the fall, both Tillerson and Defense Secretary James Mattis had trips to the country regarded as improvements. Even Trump's criticism softened, with him striking a more conciliatory tone in an October 13 tweet.

"Starting to develop a much better relationship with Pakistan and its leaders. I want to thank them for their cooperation on many fronts," he wrote after Pakistani security forces helped secure the release of American Caitlan Coleman, her Canadian husband Joshua Boyle, and their three children from Taliban captivity.

It's unclear what specifically changed the president's mind this week, but Trump has a history of bashing Pakistan and blaming it for "sheltering" Osama bin Laden -- a charge Pakistan has long denied.

"When will Pakistan apologize to us for providing safe sanctuary to Osama Bin Laden for 6 years?! Some 'ally,'" he tweeted on July 5, 2012.

---------------

http://abcnews.go.com/International/trump-tweets-us-announce-plans-cancel-aid-pakistan/story?id=52125905

Mingle
01-04-2018, 03:20 AM
Trump's tweet:

The United States has foolishly given Pakistan more than 33 billion dollars in aid over the last 15 years, and they have given us nothing but lies & deceit, thinking of our leaders as fools. They give safe haven to the terrorists we hunt in Afghanistan, with little help. No more!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/947802588174577664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2018%2F01%2F02% 2Fasia%2Fpakistan-trump%2Findex.html

Pakistan has been supporting terrorism for too long, good to see Trump finally punish them for it.

Crn Volk
01-04-2018, 03:34 AM
Trump's tweet:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/947802588174577664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2018%2F01%2F02% 2Fasia%2Fpakistan-trump%2Findex.html

Pakistan has been supporting terrorism for too log, good to see Trump finally punish them for it.

Indeed, it's about time. Trump sometimes gets it right ;)

JohnSmith
01-04-2018, 03:36 AM
I do not support really giving any country aide when we have 20 Trillion Dollars of debt. Makes no sense to me. This applies not just to Pakistan I think it needs to end for everyone.

Óttar
01-04-2018, 04:14 AM
OMFG! Trump did something SMART FOR ONCE! :thumb001:

FUCK PAKISTAN! Second largest supporter of terrorism behind KSA.

JohnSmith
01-04-2018, 04:16 AM
I think it remains to be seen how a Nuclear Power like Pakistan will react.

JohnSmith
01-04-2018, 04:17 AM
I believe Pakistan is the only Muslim country with a Nuclear Weapon.

1R0N M4N XL
01-04-2018, 04:23 AM
33 billion dollars probably went to their nuclear program...

same thing with the north Korean economic aid...

Mingle
01-04-2018, 04:34 AM
I believe Pakistan is the only Muslim country with a Nuclear Weapon.

They were also largely responsible behind North Korea getting nukes. I've heard they're helping Saudi Arabia now.

zhaoyun
01-04-2018, 04:36 AM
I do not support really giving any country aide when we have 20 Trillion Dollars of debt. Makes no sense to me. This applies not just to Pakistan I think it needs to end for everyone.

Well, let's hope that money is actually used for something useful. If I were to bet, it won't.

wvwvw
01-04-2018, 06:53 AM

Not giving aid eventually costs you more. For every dollar you give Africa in aid for example, you get back 2 and 3 dollars in return.

Countries don't give aid out of the goodness of their heart.

Fractal
01-04-2018, 07:28 AM
Trump's tweet:

Pakistan has been supporting terrorism for too long, good to see Trump finally punish them for it.

Pakistan's primary enemy is India.

Not sure why Americans are so excited up over this, considering the USA has been supplying them with weapons for years.

Mingle
01-04-2018, 08:08 AM

Not sure why Americans are so excited up over this, considering the USA has been supplying them with weapons for years.Who cares if Pakistan's primary enemy is India? What has that got to do with anything?

Pakistan uses the money to hide terrorists and senselessly waste on other things, so we cut the funds. Don't get what your issue is with that.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Gold-Shekel
01-04-2018, 08:52 AM
The same USA who helped ISIS.

Kamal900
01-04-2018, 10:48 AM

Not sure why Americans are so excited up over this, considering the USA has been supplying them with weapons for years.

Or the fact that Trump is very cozy with the Saudis regardless on what he had said about them in the past which proves he's the greatest flip flopper of all time.

zhaoyun
01-04-2018, 02:17 PM
A lot of the aid was for supporting the war in Afghanistan. People seem to think the aid was just for free. 90% of US foreign aid is for political reasons.

Not that I really support giving aid to Pakistan, because most of the war was a sham anyways. But Trump should've ended it discreetly instead of twittering about it like the loudmouth that he is. Bad form and no way to conduct diplomacy.

Kamal900
01-04-2018, 02:20 PM
A lot of the aid was for supporting the war in Afghanistan. People seem to think the aid was just for free. 90% of US foreign aid is for political reasons.

Not that I really support giving aid to Pakistan, because most of the war was a sham anyways. But Trump should've ended it discreetly instead of twittering about it like the loudmouth that he is. Bad form and no way to conduct diplomacy.

He seem to be more infantile than bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHjKCq9fZEc

zhaoyun
01-04-2018, 03:08 PM
He seem to be more infantile than bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHjKCq9fZEc

Well. Trump is a lot smarter than Bush. But he is a trash talking celebrity.

Excel
01-04-2018, 03:39 PM
There losing the war in Afghanistan despite spending 5 trillion on that war and fighting there for over 20 years The Taliban today control 60% of Afghanistan. 5 trillion is a lot of money wasted on some stupid war. Pakistan has a good working relationship with the worlds new super power aka China. China spends 100x more in Pakistan that the USA's pennies. I say Fcuk you trump, go and spend that money on free healthcare, homes and jobs for your people. Or even building that wall.

King Claus
01-04-2018, 04:05 PM
It's just proficient trolling most of the time

Kamal900
01-04-2018, 05:11 PM

"A lot" is such a strong word, especially on the fact that he pretty much backed away his promises he made to his gentile supporters and voters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH-wCe5oAv8

I wonder why no one mentioned when Trump showed his true colors by commuting of one of the most notorious criminal Chabad members, Sholom Rubashkin, in this forum?

Teutone
01-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Awesome, all western nations should cut foreign aid, peroid.

Mingle
01-04-2018, 10:44 PM

Trump already warned Pakistan about this before, but Pakistan didn't listen. Afghanistan's new president Ashraf Ghani was neutral towards Pakistan originally but when he saw Pakistan's true face, he became anti-Pakistan. Trump is a buffoon for the most part but he was right in shaming Pakistan like this for their pathetic behavior. The US gave them money to do something with it. They wasted it and continued harboring terrorists.

Mingle
01-04-2018, 10:53 PM

Not really. Trump also supported the Iraq invasion. He lied about not supporting it during the campaign. Trump can't tell the difference between HAMAS and Hezbollah and has never heard of the QUDS forces. He has the political knowledge of a 13 year old. He also said that he got all his information regarding military stuff from FOX News.