PDA

View Full Version : Filipino Founder of Los Angeles

1R0N M4N XL
01-10-2018, 04:39 AM
by Cynthia de Castro/AJPress

Did he or didn’t he? Was he or wasn’t he? The name of Antonio Miranda Rodriguez has become controversial among LA historians because it raises a lot of questions. Some historians claim that he is one of the founders of the city of Los Angeles. If so, why isn’t his name found in the plaque honoring the 11 founders of the City of Los Angeles at the El Pueblo Historical Monument, nor in the marker that was put up by the Los Angeles Historical Commission? Another mystery that is of great interest to Filipinos is Antonio Rodriguez’ ancestry. Many say he is Filipino; one historian said he is a “Chino” (Although Miranda and Rodriguez don’t actually sound Chinese); others say he is of Spanish descent.

“When you google “founders of Los Angeles”, the first site you’ll see is from afgen.com which says “ On September 4, 1781, El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles was founded by 44 pobladores from New Spain, now called Mexico. The heads of the eleven founding families were Antonio Clemente Villavicencio, a Spaniard; Antonio Mesa, a Negro; Jose Fernando Lara, a Spaniard, Jose Vanegas, an Indian; Pablo Rodriquez, an Indian; Manuel Camero, a Mulatto; Jose Antonio Navarro, a Mestizo; Jose Moreno, a Mulatto; Basillio Rosas, an Indian; Alejandro Rosas, an Indian; and Luis Quintero, a Negro.”

No mention of Rodriguez. But if you go to http://www.laalmanac.com/history/hi03c.htm, the site of the Los Angeles Almanac, you will find, at the bottom of the list of the 11 LA founders and their families, this very interesting paragraph.

“A twelfth settler, Antonio Miranda Rodriguez, a 50-year-old Filipino, and his 11 year-old daughter were also slated to settle in the new pueblo. They set out with the rest of the pobladores in early 1781 en route to their new home. While in Baja California, however, they were among those who fell ill to smallpox and remained there for an extended time to recuperate. When they finally arrived in Alta California (the present-day State of California), it was discovered that Miranda Rodriguez was a skilled gunsmith. He was subsequently reassigned to the Santa Barbara Presidio in 1782 to be an armorer.”

This story about a Filipino being among the original founders from Mexico is also mentioned by other historians. Among the sources where we can find that Antonio Miranda Rodriguez was indeed of Filipino ancestry and made it to found Los Angeles after a brief delay from smallpox are the following:

William Mason, curator, History Division, Los Angeles County Museum
Americans of Filipino Descent – FAQs* by Eloisa Gomez Borah. Reference Librarian, UCLA
Los Angeles Almanac laalmanac.com, edited by Gary Thornton
Cultural Diversity in the United States, by Larry Naylor
Eric Garcetti’s* Our Pacific Destiny

Author Eloisa Gomez Borah wrote a chronology of Filipinos in America Pre-1898 to talk about that time when Filipinos first came to America. She mentioned that Filipinos,

often referred to as Luzon Indians or Manila Men then, were on sailing ships on the world’s seas and oceans from the earliest of times, even before the Manila Galleon Trade years of 1565-1815.* Borah gave the following examples of Filipinos who went to America prior to 1898,when the Philippines was still under Spain.
– Indios Luzones landing in Morro Bay, California in 1587
– Filipinos shipwrecked near San Francisco Bay in 1595
– a village of Manila Men on the ourskirts of New Orleans, Louisiana in 1763
– Filipinos with Fr. Junipero Serra at the founding of the mission at Monterey in 1779
– Antonio Miranda Rodriquez among those chosen to settle in Los Angeles in 1781

Another source confirming Rodriguez’ Filipino ancestry and significant part in the founding of Los Angeles is Eric Garcetti’s Our Pacific Destiny, where he wrote,
“Our city’s links with Asia are deep and old-as old as the city itself. Our region’s first residents were Asian immigrants, most likely from Siberia. In 1781, a Spanish subject of Filipino heritage, Antonio Miranda Rodriguez, joined 43 other pobladores to trek to the area that became El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora, la Reina de los Angeles.”

In the book, From the Mountains to the Sea by John Steven McGroarty, copyright 1921,Volume I, page 30, we also find this listing of the founders of LA: “Josede Lara, Spaniard, 50 years of age, wife Indian, 3 children; Jose Antonio Navarro, mestizo, 42 years, wife mulattress, 3 children; Basilio Rosas, Indian, 68 years, wife mulattress, 6 children; Antonio Mesa, negro, 38 years, wife a mulattress, 2 children; Antonio (Felix) Vilavicencio,Spaniard, 30 years, wife Indian; Jose Vanegas, Indian, 28 years, wife Indian, 1 child; Alejandro Rosas, Indian, 19 years, wife coyote (Indian); Pablo Rodriguez, Indian, 25 years, wife Indian, 1 child; Mamuel Camero, mulatto, 30 years, wife mulatress; Luis Quintero, negro, 55 years, wife mulattress, 5 children; Jose Moreno, mulatto, 22 years, wife mulattress; Antonio Miranda, chino, 50 years, 1 child.” McGroarty wrote this about Miranda- “ historians dispute among themselves as to whether Antonio Miranda, who was listed as a ‘chino’ was a Chinaman.”

William Mason, curator of the History Division, Los Angeles County Museum, also did a research on this topic and wrote the following: 1781- Antonio Miranda Rodriguez, 50-year old, born in Sonora, Mexico, a descendant of a “Manila Man,” and his daughter, Juana Maria, age 11, were among the founding settlers of the city of Los Angeles, California. He later became the ironsmith of the Santa Barbara Mission in California where he lived until his death. He is buried in the Santa Barbara Mission church.
Based on the above sources, there is really the huge probability that one of the founders of Los Angeles is a true-blooded Pinoy. Already, there have been some people who cited the need to give Antonio Miranda Rodriguez his long-overdue place in official history. But proof may not be that easy to get, unless Mexico has centuries-old archives that can attest to Rodriguez being a part of the original group which set out for Los Angeles.

https://asianjournal.wordpress.com/tag/founders-of-los-angeles/

Carlito's Way
01-10-2018, 05:05 AM
Chino was used as a term to refer anyone from the Asian continent, that south Asian slave that was brought over to Mexico was called a china. So chino doesn't necessarily mean he was Chinese but that he came from the Asian continent and wasn't a white settler from those places

Filipinos have been part of Mexican history since the colonization of the country, many Filipinos were brought over to Mexico as slaves/servants, also one of the early founders of Baja California was a filipino

So none of this is a surprise, I just feel he should get some recognition just like the other settlers of Los Angeles

1R0N M4N XL
01-10-2018, 05:11 AM
Chino was used as a term to refer anyone from the Asian continent, that south Asian slave that was brought over to Mexico was called a china. So chino doesn't necessarily mean he was Chinese but that he came from the Asian continent and wasn't a white settler from those places

Filipinos have been part of Mexican history since the colonization of the country, many Filipinos were brought over to Mexico as slaves/servants, also one of the early founders of Baja California was a filipino

So none of this is a surprise, I just feel he should get some recognition just like the other settlers of Los Angeles

we go to the same church as latinos... I will check up baja califonia next.. we have a natural affiminity with you guys.. a lot of Mexicans fought for Filipino workers rights as well.... we owe Mexicans for that, that we have to repay Mexicans someday..

Carlito's Way
01-10-2018, 05:25 AM
we go to the same church as latinos... I will check up baja califonia next.. we have a natural affiminity with you guys.. a lot of Mexicans fought for Filipino workers rights as well.... we owe Mexicans for that, that we have to repay Mexicans someday..

I'm trying to find the link of the first families of Baja California or Baja California Sur, but there were two or three Filipinos families who were part of the first families, their names are listed and I remember checking the surname and it seemed very common in the Philippines, though of course of Spanish origin, I think it was some basque surname

Fractal
01-10-2018, 06:25 AM

Very true. Mexicans and Filipinos get along very well I've noticed in California. Both groups generally live in the same neighborhoods too.

They are also immigrating in large numbers, and erecting more Catholic churches everywhere which I have no issues with as long as it's not in areas that non-Latinos live.

1R0N M4N XL
01-10-2018, 06:18 PM
I'm trying to find the link of the first families of Baja California or Baja California Sur, but there were two or three Filipinos families who were part of the first families, their names are listed and I remember checking the surname and it seemed very common in the Philippines, though of course of Spanish origin, I think it was some basque surname

I look everywhere I cant find it... I will highly appreciate if I can find some clue for research... but yes.. the Las isles Filipinas and Mexico have hundreds of years of history together.. the linkage was lost when America took over..

it's possible to rebuild the link between LAs isles Filipinas and Mexico once again..( as government politics, culturally and as people as well)

Later, as trade grew between Mexico and the Philippines, it became clear that a supply station on the western coast of Baja California would provide a welcome refuge for ships arriving from the long Pacific voyage. Beginning in 1592, Sebastián Vizcaíno undertook two expeditions to establish such a station, but he was unsuccessful because of repeated native resistance. In fact, a supply station would not be established in the area until 1730.

http://www.history.com/topics/mexico/baja-california

1R0N M4N XL
01-10-2018, 06:30 PM
Very true. Mexicans and Filipinos get along very well I've noticed in California. Both groups generally live in the same neighborhoods too.

They are also immigrating in large numbers, and erecting more Catholic churches everywhere which I have no issues with as long as it's not in areas that non-Latinos live.

it's easy both of groups are majority catholics... i'm not catholic though. i'm protestant.. Spanish used to the national language of Isles Filipinas ( now Philippines) before Tagalog & English..
and our traditional culture is inspired by Mexican culture...

example: Filipina maria Clara and Mexican national dress
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/43/3a/69/433a693268e1572aad8b63fa2fd9035d.jpg
http://images.esellerpro.com/2466/I/190/16/34449b.jpg

Carlito's Way
01-10-2018, 06:33 PM
I look everywhere I cant find it... I will highly appreciate if I can find some clue for research... but yes.. the Las isles Filipinas and Mexico have hundreds of years of history together.. the linkage was lost when America took over..

it's possible to rebuild the link between LAs isles Filipinas and Mexico once again..( as government politics, culturally and as people as well)

http://www.history.com/topics/mexico/baja-california

Found it, it turn out to be Baja California Sur

https://i.imgur.com/I23K1jM.jpg

If you look up the surname Legaspi, it has a higher density in the Philippines than anywhere else in the world
http://forebears.io/surnames/legaspi

1R0N M4N XL
01-10-2018, 06:34 PM

we also get along with Indians... i'm sure you notice that as well.. Indians and Filipinos usually look out for each other everywhere on the planet.. like Dubai, Singapore , usa etc etc... USA

a lot of Indians looked out for me..

we have zero connections with Indians.. but for some reason we get along...

1R0N M4N XL
01-10-2018, 06:40 PM
Found it, it turn out to be Baja California Sur

https://i.imgur.com/I23K1jM.jpg

If you look up the surname Legaspi, it has a higher density in the Philippines than anywhere else in the world
http://forebears.io/surnames/legaspi

OH SNAP!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....

were always down with you guys... there are also Mexicans in the Philippines... I will post them later on...

thanks man I appreciate it... we can learn a lot from one another.. and bring back our history together..

1R0N M4N XL
01-10-2018, 06:52 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/ireport/sm/prod/2013/09/04/WE01001291/2585359/mirandainscription6sjpg-2585359_p9.jpg

Son Lester had a fun time convincing Filipino co-workers in a Ventura facility that a compatriot was among the earliest inhabitants of nearby Santa Barbara, a world-rated resort city. Lester was showing them photos of the burial place of eminent Filipino Antonio Miranda, which I requested from him earlier to be used in this article. As this is being written (Sept. 4, 2013), the city of Los Angeles is celebrates its 232nd Founding Anniversary. Happy Birthday LA!

For sometime the LA Filipino American community and even some city officials held on to a narrative that this premier city in the west coast was founded by "pobladores" that included a Filipino. The pobladores were tasked to provide food for the soldiers of the presidios and to help secure Spain's hold of the region. They included farmers, artisans, and stock raisers necessary for the survival of the settlement, a plaque in Olvera Plaza states.

During the 224th anniversary of the city’s founding, then Mayor Antonio Villaraigoza was quoted saying “The original pobladores were a very diverse group, nearly half of them of African heritage. There were Europeans as well and mestizos and one Filipino.” He repeated his speech in Spanish for the benefit of many in the audience who were of Hispanic descent.

Even today the website Tertulias Filipinas HISTÓRICOS LAS ISLAS FILIPINAS Filipino funda Los Angeles contends that "One of the original settlers of El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula -- today's Los Angeles, California, USA -- was of filipino ancestry but smallpox temporary quarantene in Baja made him and others arrive after the others..."

Antonio Miranda Rodriguez was described in a book copyrighted by the Automobile Club of Southern California by authors William and Roberta Mason as a Malayan Filipino who enlisted in Sinaloa, Mexico, for the Los Angeles expedition. He later took up residence in Santa Barbara where he was employed as a gunsmith by military authorities. Begun in 1782, the Santa Barbara Presidio was the last military outpost built by Spain anywhere in the Western Hemisphere.

“Certainly,” according to the Masons, “he was Santa Barbara’s first Filipino resident, and perhaps the first permanent Filipino resident of California.” The book Spanish Mexican Families of Early California: 1769-1850 Volume II by Marie E. Northrop contains this entry:

Antonio Mirando Rodriguez
Born about 1730 at Manila, Philippines
Buried 26 May 1784 at Presidio Chapel Santa Barbara
Child Juana Maria Rodriguez
Born about 1769 Sonora, Mexico
Died about 1780 at Loreto, Baja California,
Mexico

CAPTION: Antonio Miranda is among the names inscribed in a tile slab marking the burial site of early residents inside a chapel in the Santa Barbara Presidio, City of Santa Barbara. The Presidio was the last military outpost built by Spain anywhere in the Western Hemisphere. PHOTOS BY MARK LESTER GRAVA

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1031648

1R0N M4N XL
01-10-2018, 06:53 PM
officially recognize by the US government and CNN.

Carlito's Way
01-10-2018, 07:03 PM
Hopefully this will leading to historians uncovering the philippine population of New Spain just like the Mexican population of the Philippines and even Guam, which Guam was populated by Mexican and Filipino men who later mixed in with the chamorro communities

The mexican state with the highest filipino ancestry is Guerrero, I will soon gather dna results if these people, their southeast asian tend to be between 5-20%

Check thus mexican out, shes from Guerrero, just by looking at her, you would think shes just amerindian with some spanish but no, shes very mix
https://i.imgur.com/8d0xMO4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9xaQbxa.jpg

zhaoyun
01-10-2018, 11:46 PM

No. Filipinos were called Indios by the Spaniards. That was the term they used for native Filipinos in the Philippines. The more East Asian looking Asians were called Chinos, but the Filipinos were not because of their phenotypes and because they were a Spanish colony.

1R0N M4N XL
01-11-2018, 03:24 AM
Hopefully this will leading to historians uncovering the philippine population of New Spain just like the Mexican population of the Philippines and even Guam, which Guam was populated by Mexican and Filipino men who later mixed in with the chamorro communities

The mexican state with the highest filipino ancestry is Guerrero, I will soon gather dna results if these people, their southeast asian tend to be between 5-20%

Check thus mexican out, shes from Guerrero, just by looking at her, you would think shes just amerindian with some spanish but no, shes very mix
https://i.imgur.com/8d0xMO4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9xaQbxa.jpg

about 2% of the total philippine population is direct descendant of Mexicans.. Mexicans in the Philippines numbered 1.7 Million in 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_settlement_in_the_Philippines

around 3% south Asia or middle eastern blood and around 5% with Spanish ancestry..

_______
the Filipinos in mexico where generals and governors around 200,000 ..

I should take a trip to mexico and do a documentary film :thumb001: .. it will bring our 2 people together & preserve our history together..

1R0N M4N XL
01-11-2018, 03:37 AM
the girl you posted is cute... btw... from my experience with Mexicans... some of them has mongoloid features... similar to us..

and MEXIPINA are usually good looking & can intergrate in both Isles Filipinas & Mexico.

but I would say Mexican genes are more dominate in appearance..

https://i.giphy.com/media/QPovKrxsEFUf6/giphy.gif

https://68.media.tumblr.com/58d58cfb897cf98fb769f385b7e01328/tumblr_nzgbj695my1qm04d3o1_500.jpg

https://78.media.tumblr.com/307665a3742e14affaecc41d29ca99b8/tumblr_mfagm7jubm1rp1p0qo1_500.gif

Carlito's Way
01-11-2018, 03:39 AM
No. Filipinos were called Indios by the Spaniards. That was the term they used for native Filipinos in the Philippines. The more East Asian looking Asians were called Chinos, but the Filipinos were not because of their phenotypes and because they were a Spanish colony.

Not in Mexico, this is why there is a famous traditional dress called La China Poblana which was created by a South Asian slave brought over by the Portuguese

Chino in Mexico was a term applied to everyone born in the Asian continent

"During those two and a half centuries, many Filipinos, Mexicans and others sailed to and from Mexico and the Philippines as sailors, crews, slaves, prisoners, adventurers and soldiers. Also on these voyages, thousands of Asian individuals (mostly males) were brought to Mexico as slaves and were called chinos or indios chinos, which meant Chinese. Although in reality they were of diverse origins, including Japanese, Koreans, Malays, Filipinos, Javanese, Cambodians, Timorese, and people from Bengal, India, Ceylon, Makassar, Tidore, Terenate, and China."

"A notable example of a china slave is Catarina de San Juan (Mirra), an Indian girl captured by the Portuguese and sold into slavery in Manila. She arrived in New Spain, became well known for her religious piety and eventually became associated with the "China Poblana"

Carlito's Way
01-11-2018, 03:52 AM
about 2% of the total philippine population is direct descendant of Mexicans.. Mexicans in the Philippines numbered 1.7 Million in 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_settlement_in_the_Philippines

around 3% south Asia or middle eastern blood and around 5% with Spanish ancestry..

_______
the Filipinos in mexico where generals and governors around 200,000 ..

I should take a trip to mexico and do a documentary film :thumb001: .. it will bring our 2 people together & preserve our history together..

I wonder if the percentage might be bigger since those Mexicans mixed in with the population, I remember that Filipino member I forgot his username posting about the Mexican founders of a few towns/cities of the Philippines

Also Javen would say Manila were Filipinos mixed with negrito, Mexican, Spanish and I don't know what else, not sure if he was being serious or not

You should go to Guerrero, they have Filipino loan words in their vocabulary
Would be cool if you did a documentary out there
I wouldn't mind buying about 6 AncestryDNA kits, and have you go out there and test the locals

Also in the Philippines where Mexicans settled in, test the locals and see if there is a connection

This project would be so dope

1R0N M4N XL
01-11-2018, 03:57 AM
Not in Mexico, this is why there is a famous traditional dress called La China Poblana which was created by a South Asian slave brought over by the Portuguese

Chino in Mexico was a term applied to everyone born in the Asian continent

"During those two and a half centuries, many Filipinos, Mexicans and others sailed to and from Mexico and the Philippines as sailors, crews, slaves, prisoners, adventurers and soldiers. Also on these voyages, thousands of Asian individuals (mostly males) were brought to Mexico as slaves and were called chinos or indios chinos, which meant Chinese. Although in reality they were of diverse origins, including Japanese, Koreans, Malays, Filipinos, Javanese, Cambodians, Timorese, and people from Bengal, India, Ceylon, Makassar, Tidore, Terenate, and China."

"A notable example of a china slave is Catarina de San Juan (Mirra), an Indian girl captured by the Portuguese and sold into slavery in Manila. She arrived in New Spain, became well known for her religious piety and eventually became associated with the "China Poblana"

i'm going to do more study and find out who started the cloth first... one us copied each other..

BTW.. were the only & Indonesians in Asia pacific that uses that.. Piña fabric.. the rest uses silk or something.

https://miscetceteradotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/filipiniana11.jpg

https://klimbim2014.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/maria-felix-in-la-pelicula-la-china-poblana-1943-bw.jpg?w=500&h=662

1R0N M4N XL
01-11-2018, 05:06 AM
I wonder if the percentage might be bigger since those Mexicans mixed in with the population, I remember that Filipino member I forgot his username posting about the Mexican founders of a few towns/cities of the Philippines

Also Javen would say Manila were Filipinos mixed with negrito, Mexican, Spanish and I don't know what else, not sure if he was being serious or not

You should go to Guerrero, they have Filipino loan words in their vocabulary
Would be cool if you did a documentary out there
I wouldn't mind buying about 6 AncestryDNA kits, and have you go out there and test the locals

Also in the Philippines where Mexicans settled in, test the locals and see if there is a connection

This project would be so dope

I think that's selurong. I thought he was crazy at first but he showed me historical data.. he was telling the truth about Mexicans being in isles filipinas.

that javen/ejay is social outcast troll...we were suppose to meet in person, so I even trace his house and showed him pictures of his house, that's why you don't see him online anymore... LOL
I have his pictures, i'll post it.. if you want, he looks nothing like to what he portrays himself to be... LOL.. if you hate him.. he trolls everyone including Mexicans..

i'm working in creating internet company & news publishing.. this will be my office soon ( building under construction).... I got a few professional APP makers and film maker working with me..

http://www.eastbound88.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2356&d=1510326872
http://www.eastbound88.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2357&d=1510326881 <-- samples of my rent building under construction

http://the-social-edge.com/ <--- samples of my engineers creation.

that Mexican and isles Filipina project... I can see will get a lot of attention if done & marketed correctly.. I think I will go for it once my project is done & successful

Iloko
01-12-2018, 01:28 AM
California indeed has a large Filipino demographic and Pinoys may have founded Los Angeles, but for the most part it was the non-Filipinos who made the largest contributions to the culture and other industries such as science/art/architecture/etc I think.

1R0N M4N XL
01-12-2018, 01:37 AM
California indeed has a large Filipino demographic and Pinoys may have founded Los Angeles, but for the most part it was the non-Filipinos who made the largest contributions to the culture and other industries such as science/art/architecture/etc I think.

it's not a maybe.. it s fact dude that one of the Los angeles founders is filipino .. it's officially recognize by the U.S government & state of california... even barack obama made a letter .
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/images/Blog/filipino%20american%20history%20month_Page_2.jpg

also there were also filipinos that settled in louisiana in 17th century and fought against the british... which i will post in different thread.

Philippines only became a common wealth of america in the early 19th century.

1R0N M4N XL
01-12-2018, 01:41 AM
cultures can change over time... all you need is 4 teenagers in the basement making the next big thing after rock&roll/hip hop that can change the global culture..

but you can't change or replace founders or settlers..

1R0N M4N XL
01-12-2018, 01:45 AM
also i will post later on.. that filipinos have contact with native americans.. before Las Islas FIlipinas was a colony of spain..

and also filipinos have a connection with madagascar in africa..

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Migraciones_austronesias.png

Iloko
01-12-2018, 01:59 AM
it's not a maybe.. it s fact dude that one of the Los angeles founders is filipino .. it's officially recognize by the U.S government & state of california... even barack obama made a letter .
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/images/Blog/filipino%20american%20history%20month_Page_2.jpg

also there were also filipinos that settled in louisiana in 17th century and fought against the british... which i will post in different thread.

Philippines only became a common wealth of america in the early 19th century.
And English language has totally made its impact in the islands. I'm glad we still manage to preserve all of our 187 language-dialects it's incredible!

I wonder if Philippines would've turned out to be like another Hawaii if we had become a state. Manila as we currently know it is already quite Americanized in general. If we had become a state that would also have been quite an interesting turn of events...sort of like an Asian rather than Polynesian island-state.

Filipino-Americans haven't contributed much in other fields such as Innovation/scientific-breakthroughs/technology/etc was one of my points though. Many Filipinos do immigrate to the US as professionals such as doctor/nurse/engineer, but no notable nor famous Filipino historical figure really comes to mind as having done anything prominent in advancing the American culture.

1R0N M4N XL
01-12-2018, 02:20 AM
And English language has totally made its impact in the islands. I'm glad we still manage to preserve all of our 187 language-dialects it's incredible!

I wonder if Philippines would've turned out to be like another Hawaii if we had become a state. Manila as we currently know it is already quite Americanized in general. If we had become a state that would also have been quite an interesting turn of events...sort of like an Asian rather than Polynesian island-state.

Filipino-Americans haven't contributed much in other fields such as Innovation/scientific-breakthroughs/technology/etc was one of my points though. Many Filipinos do immigrate to the US as professionals such as doctor/nurse/engineer, but no notable nor famous Filipino historical figure really comes to mind as having done anything prominent in advancing the American culture.

nahh,.. just read the history books. you'll see asap

here's just a few samples of science advancements that i know people uses today or pave way to better technologies. most of these technologies/inventions were after Philippine independence.. i'm sure you use a 2-way phone feature from ur iphone/android..

http://www.visiontimes.com/uploads/2016/04/rthrthr.jpg
http://image.slidesharecdn.com/copyofpresentation1-130518225930-phpapp02/95/filipino-inventions-and-discoveries-16-638.jpg?cb=1368918165
http://historicspacecraft.com/Photos/Lunar_Module/LRV_NASM2009RK_01.jpg
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/medical-incubator-657537.jpg
http://www.ohgizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/fire_piston.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gCS1yja2K0I/Uce84hWsoAI/AAAAAAAAAFE/JM-HP9XqdZg/s400/chip.jpg

1R0N M4N XL
01-12-2018, 04:44 AM

1) one of the reason my pres.quezon wanted independence was because America went after the germans instead of japan in ww2 ( America was racing against the russian & want that german tech)
same goes for Australia, india, Malaysia who wanted independence from the british.

in short: its just too far, really really far far away..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=663otOvJVGU

2) being a U.S. 51th state means millions of people moving in, while people can move to the mainland America. it would have been heaven for 100 years.. but you forever gave away the next 1,000 years for the natives to try again and again to build it's own nation/ own creation/ you're own house. you're own rule, you're own destiny.

3) race issue: it was a different world back then when japan was the only developed nation while the rest of south east asia were a colony. you have to prove to the world, that you can stand on your two feet without you're adopted mother .

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-the-philippines-are-ours-forever-they-are-not-capable-of-self-government-how-could-they-albert-j-beveridge-122-38-24.jpg

^just 30 years after independence ..Philippines/democracy collapses under pres. marcos( dictator). went from 1st world to 3rd world by just 1 president..... took the next generations for democracy to be restored. .. it will take another 30 years for Philippines to return to 1st world..
http://www.top-destination-choice-the-philippines.com/images/ferdinand-marcos-sr.jpg

The Philippine Republic & Filipino Race has a '' DUTY'' to make a better house than what the Spaniards & Americans gave in the golden age in the 1900's, 40's 60s'