PDA

View Full Version : East Asian, or Southeast Asian culture...which culture do you feel more compatible with?

Iloko
01-12-2018, 02:35 AM
Anyone is free to answer this question no matter what race you are Asian or non-Asian...

East Asian = China, Japan, Korea, etc
Southeast Asian = Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc

zhaoyun
01-12-2018, 02:37 AM
Well, East Asian for me, a no brainer. I think most White people wouldn't necessarily feel close to either one though.

Hindukush
01-12-2018, 03:24 AM
There is no such thing as south east asian culture.

Burmese, thais, lao, khmers = theravada buddhist

Filipinos = roman catholics with many spanish, american influences

Malays and indos = Muslims

Vietnamese = confucian based culture closer to the sinosphere

zhaoyun
01-12-2018, 03:59 AM
There is no such thing as south east asian culture.

Burmese, thais, lao, khmers = theravada buddhist

Filipinos = roman catholics with many spanish, american influences

Malays and indos = Muslims

Vietnamese = confucian based culture closer to the sinosphere

I was about to say the same. SE Asia is too culturally divided. East Asia is diverse too but overall there is an underlying Confucian foundation.

Mingle
01-12-2018, 04:19 AM
Speaking on behalf of Pashtuns, I'd say probably Southeast Asians. Their villages and landscape as a whole reminds me of Pashtun areas, makes sense since both are fairly poor regions compared to East Asia. They also domesticate water buffaloes like us. We also both probably have similar influences from Indic people bordering them and all. Still, there are many more differences and I don't think they are close to us, but closer than East Asians. Southeast Asia has a lot of similarities with South Asia whereas it seems like East Asia doesn't share much in common with any other region (except Southeast Asia to a small degree). But being from the US and accustomed to life here, I would probably be more comfortable living in East Asia.

Carlito's Way
01-12-2018, 04:26 AM
Southeast asians, especially filipinos

Hindukush
01-12-2018, 04:29 AM
Speaking on behalf of Pashtuns, I'd say probably Southeast Asians. Their villages and landscape as a whole reminds me of Pashtun areas, makes sense since both are fairly poor regions compared to East Asia. They also domesticate water buffaloes like us. We also both probably have similar influences from Indic people bordering them and all. Still, there are many more differences and I don't think they are close to us, but closer than East Asians. Southeast Asia has a lot of similarities with South Asia whereas it seems like East Asia doesn't share much in common with any other region (except Southeast Asia to a small degree). But being from the US and accustomed to life here, I would probably be more comfortable living in East Asia.

That's news to me. Didn't know there were water buffalo's in Afghanistan. Always thought water buffalo's only lived in tropical areas

zhaoyun
01-12-2018, 04:44 AM

There are water buffaloes in Afghanistan? That's strange, always imagined it was an arid, mountainous region. Thought it would be more likely to have yaks than water buffalos which are usually in sub tropical regions.

Mingle
01-12-2018, 04:45 AM
That's news to me. Didn't know there were water buffalo's in Afghanistan. Always thought water buffalo's only lived in tropical areas

I'm from Khyber-Pashtunkhwa (Northwest Pakistan) actually. There are water buffaloes in Afghanistan too though. They are VERY common. The region is mostly a temperate grassland-alpine biome with a lot of mountains, rivers, shrubs, and a somewhat dry landscape. The buffaloes are usually in the villages and owned by people. Buffalo milk is almost as common as cow milk, probably even more common actually. The buffaloes usually live inside the house, but aren't allowed indoors obviously. The houses are built differently so there's a huge front yard within the gates of the house. They are also taken for a walk since the yard is too small for them to stay 24/7. People also keep sheep, goats, and cows too, which is probably not surprising to you. They also get sacrificed (sadly) during Eid and in celebration of child births.

There are also water buffaloes in Tajikistan: https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-4588355-stock-footage-keng-shiber-tajikistan-june-a-lady-is-preparing-tea-with-an-old-fashioned-stove.html?src=rel/4587725:8

Where are you from btw? Kazakhstan?

Mingle
01-12-2018, 04:51 AM
There are water buffaloes in Afghanistan? That's strange, always imagined it was an arid, mountainous region. Thought it would be more likely to have yaks than water buffalos which are usually in sub tropical regions.

Yaks are only kept in high altitudes in the Himalayas, where Pashtun people don't live. It's rare to find a people that domesticate them.

I gave a better reply on the situation to Hindukush.

Mingle
01-12-2018, 05:11 AM

Btw, what kind of animals do they domesticate in China? I assume water buffaloes would be common there too, especially in the south, but less than Southeast Asia obviously. I also think Chinese folk eat a lot of rice too, but less than SE Asia as well.

zhaoyun
01-12-2018, 05:18 AM
Btw, what kind of animals do they domesticate in China? I assume water buffaloes would be common there too, especially in the south, but less than Southeast Asia obviously. I also think Chinese folk eat a lot of rice too, but less than SE Asia as well.

China has every climate possible so it's a vast range. Water buffalos in the south, yaks in the West, sheep in the North. Southern Chinese eat a lot of rice, Northern Chinese ate wheat traditionally, it's too cold to grow rice there.

zhaoyun
01-12-2018, 05:19 AM
BTW, China has a shit ton of Camels too. Most Westerners would be surprised about this. Even wild elephants.

Mingle
01-12-2018, 05:20 AM
China has every climate possible so it's a vast range. Water buffalos in the south, yaks in the West, sheep in the North. Southern Chinese eat a lot of rice, Northern Chinese ate wheat traditionally, it's too cold to grow rice there.

Are shepherds and goatherds any common there?

zhaoyun
01-12-2018, 05:22 AM
Are shepherds and goatherds any common there?

Yes, primarily in the North and Northwest. Not in the South. China has the world's largest sheep population.

BTW, China has more camels than Saudi Arabia. LOL

https://www.jetpunk.com/data/world/countries-by-number-of-camels

wvwvw
01-12-2018, 12:38 PM
East Asians. Aren't most South-east Asians Muslim and significantly poorer?

wvwvw
01-12-2018, 12:40 PM

A chinese who ain't eating lots of rice and noodles ain't a true Chinese :no:

zhaoyun
01-12-2018, 03:41 PM
A chinese who ain't eating lots of rice and noodles ain't a true Chinese :no:

Not true. Northern Chinese eat wheat based noodles and dumplings as staples, but not rice traditionally.

Token
01-12-2018, 03:45 PM
East Asian. São Paulo, where i am currently living, is the place most influenced by Japanese culture outside East Asia.

Dandelion
01-12-2018, 03:46 PM
Both equally, as both are foreign. ;) I guess I could vote East Asian due to their higher development, but SEA tend to show a high degree of compatibility also.

Rumata
01-12-2018, 05:28 PM
All of them are foreign but since I'm more interested in getting to know East Asian cultures, I think it already makes me a bit more compatible with them.

Odin
01-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Neither.

Regnera
12-03-2018, 07:16 AM
East Asian