PDA

View Full Version : Ethymology of the medieval Albanian ethnonym

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 09:21 PM
But Wallachia was a principality of Romania, it’s like saying that the Dukagjini weren’t Albanian but Dukagjinas

And thats exactly what they were. Remember that nationality isnt even 200 years old. Prior to that it was unheard of. People referred to themselves by family, profession, title social caste. Arbanas/Arberesh is such a social caste, it means field worker ar banes or tosk ar beresh.

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 09:22 PM
Romanians were called Vlachs or it's derivatives back then by foreigners, but Romanians always called themselves Romanian.

Nope, greeks called themselves Romanians actually.

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 09:24 PM
A Romanian has never called himself such, only foreigners. What in English is "Wallachia" is "Țara Românească" meaning Romanian land in Romanian, it has been so since ages. Neacșu's letter from 1521 referred to it as such.

With that definition albanians and greeks are just as romanian as you since we also are roman peoples living on roman lands. And Dacia is much less roman than our land. So then we live in the REAL tara romanesca.

TheForeigner
01-14-2018, 09:26 PM
Nope, greeks called themselves Romanians actually.

So did 'Vlachs'.

Kelmendasi
01-14-2018, 09:27 PM
And thats exactly what they were. Remember that nationality isnt even 200 years old. Prior to that it was unheard of. People referred to themselves by family, profession, title social caste. Arbanas/Arberesh is such a social caste, it means field worker ar banes or tosk ar beresh.
Still it isn’t its own ethnicity. Arbeneshe isn’t a social class, it comes from Arben/arban/Arber etc which is a rhotacized form of the word Alban. So it’s actually our ethonym

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 09:30 PM
Still it isn’t its own ethnicity. Arbeneshe isn’t a social class, it comes from Arben/arban/Arber etc which is a rhotacized form of the word Alban. So it’s actually our ethonym

Ar ban... A rule of thumb is that truth is never unesecearily complicated.

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 09:31 PM
So did 'Vlachs'.

And so do the Roma.

Kelmendasi
01-14-2018, 09:33 PM
Ar ban... A rule of thumb is that truth is never unesecearily complicated.
Its not a social caste m8, it’s and ethnonym derived from Alban

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 09:34 PM

Dont forget Albania is a exonym. Its not something we called ourselves. Eqrem Cabej is an idiot btw.

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Its not a social caste m8, it’s and ethnonym derived from Alban

Alban is a exonym. Still today we dont call ourselves by this exonym. Why would we have done so before??? Explain this to me.

Kelmendasi
01-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Dont forget Albania is a exonym. Its not something we called ourselves. Eqrem Cabej is an idiot btw.
Its not really an exonym, our oldest ethnomym is a form of Alban as shown by linguistic analysis and probably has a link to the Albani.

Kelmendasi
01-14-2018, 09:38 PM
Alban is a exonym. Still today we dont call ourselves by this exonym. Why would we have done so before??? Explain this to me.
We did although in a rhotacized form this is linguistically proven as Alban is proven to be the root word for words like Arben, Arber etc. Our current ethnonym is a recent one

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 09:38 PM
Its not really an exonym, our oldest ethnomym is a form of Alban as shown by linguistic analysis and probably has a link to the Albani.

Albani is also exonym. A latin geographer gave a people of the area this name. Albani denotes people from high mountains.

If its an endonym, tell me then what albani means?

Kelmendasi
01-14-2018, 09:41 PM
Albani is also exonym. A latin geographer gave a people of the area this name. Albani denotes people from high mountains.
Alban in us comes from the Albanoi tribe, maybe they developed it from an exonym to an ethnonym. We clearly had it as an ethnonym

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 09:43 PM
Alban in us comes from the Albanoi tribe, maybe they developed it from an exonym to an ethnonym. We clearly had it as an ethnonym

Dude, Ar beresh =/= Albani

Just as Shqiptar=/=Albanian

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 09:46 PM

Exonym is a ethnonym that is not used by the people it denotes.

Kelmendasi
01-14-2018, 09:47 PM
Dude, Ar beresh =/= Albani

Just as shqiptar=/=Albanian
That’s what you want to believe, it’s proven though that Arbar or other forms of it are just a rhotacized form of Alban where the consonants(L and N) have been turned into R, the root word is shown to be Alban for all of them

Kelmendasi
01-14-2018, 09:48 PM
Exonym is a ethnonym that is not used by the people it denotes.
I know, that’s why I said it probably developed from an exonym into an ethnonym

Tommie
01-14-2018, 09:51 PM
With that definition albanians and greeks are just as romanian as you since we also are roman peoples living on roman lands. And Dacia is much less roman than our land. So then we live in the REAL tara romanesca.
No, Albanians are Albanians, what do they have to do with the Romanian land? Same with Greeks. They are different people, with different culture.

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 09:53 PM
That’s what you want to believe, it’s proven though that Arbar or other forms of it are just a rhotacized form of Alban where the consonants(L and N) have been turned into R, the root word is shown to be Alban for all of them

Arbar... Dude, when you have settled from being freed of Eqrem Cabejs lies, then you will maybe laugh at these attempts of yours

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 09:54 PM
I know, that’s why I said it probably developed from an exonym into an ethnonym

I dont think you understand the terms we are using. An exonym IS an ethnonym!
And a exonym can never develop into a endonym, they are opposites... Please clear your thoughts.

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 09:57 PM
No, Albanians are Albanians, what do they have to do with the Romanian land? Same with Greeks. They are different people, with different culture.

YOU are a very very different people with different a very different culture. Only your language connects you to the roman world. In every other sense, you are a mixmash of huns, central and east europeans, who speak a roman language because you had a roman speaking church to teach you.

Kelmendasi
01-14-2018, 09:57 PM
I dont think you understand the terms we are using. An exonym IS an ethnonym!
And a exonym can never develop into a endonym, they are opposites... Please clear your thoughts.
It can easily be developed into an ethnonym if the people who it denotes pick it up from that language and start using it as their own, it’s not that hard we already have a lot of Latin linguistic influence

Kelmendasi
01-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Arbar... Dude, when you have settled from being freed of Eqrem Cabejs lies, then you will maybe laugh at these attempts of yours
I have never read anything that has to do with Cabej. Man it’s already a proven fact that Arbar is just rhotacized, even Elsie said this “Their traditional designation, based on a root *alban- and its rhotacized variants *arban-, *albar-, and *arbar-, appears from the eleventh century onwards in Byzantine chronicles (Albanoi, Arbanitai, Arbanites), and from the fourteenth century onwards in Latin and other Western documents (Albanenses, Arbanenses)." Albanian linguist Xhevat Lloshi also said the same

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 10:04 PM
It can easily be developed into an ethnonym if the people who it denotes pick it up from that language and start using it as their own, it’s not that hard we already have a lot of Latin linguistic influence
First of all, an exonym is an ethnonym, wether the people it denotes picks it up or not. Just as ALBANIAN IS A ETHNONYM even though we have not picked it up. But thats not the question here, the question regards meaning of the ENDO-NYM Ar beresh. Claiming that its a transformed exonym is incredebly far-fetched since its meaning is perfectly clear to anyone who speaks albanian. Not only that, it corrsponds to both dialects with the same meaning. Ar banes in the north and ar beresh in the south. Its so elegant thats its almost a joke that no one even talks about it. Instead like midnless drones we refer to communist propagandist Eqrem Cabej, may he suck cocks in hell.

Kelmendasi
01-14-2018, 10:07 PM
First of all, an exonym is an ethnonym, wether the people it denotes picks it up or not. Just as ALBANIAN IS A ETHNONYM even though we have not picked it up. But thats not the question here, the question regards meaning of the ENDO-NYM Ar beresh. Claiming that its a transformed exonym is incredebly far-fetched since its meaning is perfectly clear to anyone who speaks albanian. Not only that, it corrsponds to both dialects with the same meaning. Ar banes in the north and ar beresh in the south. Its so elegant thats its almost a joke that no one even talks about it. Instead like midnless drones we refer to communist propagandist Eqrem Cabej, may he suck cocks in hell.
Lol, I guess all those Albanologists and linguists were wrong apparently. As I said before, I have never read any of Çabej’s work

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 10:09 PM
I have never read anything that has to do with Cabej. Man it’s already a proven fact that Arbar is just rhotacized, even Elsie said this “Their traditional designation, based on a root *alban- and its rhotacized variants *arban-, *albar-, and *arbar-, appears from the eleventh century onwards in Byzantine chronicles (Albanoi, Arbanitai, Arbanites), and from the fourteenth century onwards in Latin and other Western documents (Albanenses, Arbanenses)." Albanian linguist Xhevat Lloshi also said the same

No you have not read him, but you refere to his ideas, which is that our ethnonym is from the exo-nymic word albani. An ethnonym that we dont even use, and have never ever used. It has been an exo-nym to us from day one untill today.

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 10:10 PM
Lol, I guess all those Albanologists and linguists were wrong apparently. As I said before, I have never read any of Çabej’s work

Yes, they are wrong. So are they who say that shqiptar come from shqiponje (another of Eqrem Cabejs lies btw)

Kelmendasi
01-14-2018, 10:10 PM
No you have not read him, but you refere to his ideas, which is that our ethnonym is from the exo-nymic word albani. An ethnonym that we dont even use, and have never ever used. It has been an exo-nym to us from day one untill today.
Man believe what you want, we have already derailed this thread enough best if we stop

Trilecce
01-14-2018, 10:13 PM
Man believe what you want, we have already derailed this thread enough best if we stop

We could ask to have it detached into its own, ill pm wrong and see what he can do. No need to stop the discussion.

Laberia
01-14-2018, 10:13 PM
You don't know shit, so stfu.

He is an idiot. He is a mentally sick person. Just ignore his presence and leave him to bark like a dog.

Kelmendasi
01-14-2018, 10:14 PM
We could ask to have it detached into its own, ill pm wrong and see what he can do. No need to stop the discussion.
That’s fine then