PDA

View Full Version : Geordie Girls Are Fat.

Beorn
02-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Are Geordie girls really more thick-skinned? Scientists reveal why scantily-clad women in Newcastle can wear so little for a night out

Their ability to wander out on freezing nights in skimpy clothes is the stuff of legend…if not mystery.
Now scientists have decided to test their theory that the reason Geordie women go out without coats on is because they have thicker skins.
Researchers at Newcastle’s International Centre for Life are creating an experiment to
look at whether women in the North-East are naturally warmer than those in the South.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/02/17/article-0-00251E1E0000044C-474_468x286.jpg

Geordie women line up outside a bar - without their coats

As part of their investigation, locals will be asked to fill in a questionnaire about their coat-wearing behaviour.
Specifically they will be asked if their reason for shunning layers is because they don’t need them or out of cultural habit.
One of the questions the Geordies will be asked is: What would persuaded you to wear a coat on a night out?
The scientists will also be travelling to Newcastle nightspots to try to quantify how many revellers are not wearing their coats.

Linda Conlon, chief executive of the Centre for Life, said: ‘We decided to investigate the reputation Geordies have for not wearing a coat in even the worst weather.
‘Is there a possible genetic reason for our bravery or is it simply because we like to show off our finery on a night out.’
Previous studies have shown that those in the North consume more fat than their southern counterparts which could provide more insulation.
A survey by Unilever found an average 45-year-old in Scotland ate as much as 46g of saturated fat a day on a typical diet of a fry-up, buttered toast for breakfast, soup and buttered roll with yoghurt for lunch and pie and chips with cake or bread for tea – plus a snack such as a biscuit.
By contrast in the South East a 45-year-old would typically consume food with saturated fat up to 33g.

The clothes investigation is part of the Newcastle ScienceFest, which will feature ten-day of events to celebrate innovation.

Source (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1147422/Are-Geordie-girls-really-skinned-Scientists-reveal-scantily-clad-women-Newcastle-wear-little-night-out.html)

Vulpix
02-17-2009, 08:23 PM
LOL they don't have anything better to study :rolleyes:?

Heimmacht
02-17-2009, 08:31 PM
:eek: It suddenly all makes sense to me, they should investigate it here in Brabant also! I'm not one of these girls though, I'm cold very easily.

Vargtand
02-17-2009, 08:39 PM
LOL they don't have anything better to study :rolleyes:?

Sort of reminding me of the Swedish guy who got state funding for his research on how people behaved during parties and nights out, basically he got paid to go out drinking :P

SwordoftheVistula
02-17-2009, 09:18 PM
The study didn't cover whether they are actually fatter, or that this has any relation to not wearing coats, or even whether more heavyset people are more likely to wear coats?

Better explanation: They're used to the cold!

Treffie
02-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Are Geordie girls really more thick-skinned? Scientists reveal why scantily-clad women in Newcastle can wear so little for a night out

I don't think that this is solely restricted to Newcastle - it's definitely a UK wide phenomenon.

Absinthe
02-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Their ability to wander out on freezing nights in skimpy clothes is the stuff of legend…if not mystery.

:eek:

Yes, can you explain that? I have always been wondering how can they go out in -10C with short skirts and sandals... :D

I once heard they are putting on thermal creams for athletes (like Voltaren or Counterpain) and the heating effect of those keeps them warm...

Truth or urban legend? :p

Beorn
02-18-2009, 11:46 AM
It's most likely caused by the half bottle of vodka running through their systems that keeps them warm.

Treffie
02-18-2009, 11:50 AM
:eek:

Yes, can you explain that? I have always been wondering how can they go out in -10C with short skirts and sandals... :D

I once heard they are putting on thermal creams for athletes (like Voltaren or Counterpain) and the heating effect of those keeps them warm...

Truth or urban legend? :p

Perhaps it's the kebab fat that's keeping them warm? :D

Sally
02-18-2009, 01:20 PM
I do not like being cold, so going out sans coat is something I'd never do. Properly dressed, though, I can withstand just about any temperature. :snow:

I've lived in Finland for just a little over two years, and I'm always swathed in multiple layers-even in the summer, lol! :p

stormlord
02-18-2009, 01:42 PM
The temperature receptors in the skin are above the fat layer, so being fat is generally irrelevant to "feeling" the cold, though it does help in resisting its effects, thus it's unlikely the reason that they don't feel the cold is because they're overweight.

Hildolf
02-19-2009, 03:08 PM
What a pointless study! Totally meaningless, on the way home from work I have to go into Nottingham city centre, this is around about 8pm and in the recent very cold spell have noticed both men and women with inappropriate clothing, for the temperature. Now it could be alcohol, but for most it is too early in the evening and they are only just heading to the pubs/clubs. Quite simply I don't think most people want to carry a coat about, most pubs/clubs are heated to the max, encourages the drinking I expect, so they aren't going to stay on long and then there is the possibility of the coat being stolen or items stolen from the coat. So why bother.

Beorn
02-19-2009, 03:39 PM
but for most it is too early in the evening and they are only just heading to the pubs/clubs.

Around 8 O'clock, the amount of alcohol I have consumed before leaving the house, when I know I am on a bender, is more than adequate to leave me not needing to buy anymore alcohol.

Quite simply I don't think most people want to carry a coat about, most pubs/clubs are heated to the max, encourages the drinking I expect, so they aren't going to stay on long and then there is the possibility of the coat being stolen or items stolen from the coat. So why bother.

You forgot the extortionate prices for allowing them to keep your coat safe. That plus the queue storing it and retrieving it is not worth the hassle.