PDA

View Full Version : What Southeast Asian languages can you speak?

Iloko
01-27-2018, 09:07 PM
What Southeast Asian language(s) can you hold a conversation in?..

Svipdag
01-28-2018, 01:08 AM
Ar last, an easy question: NONE !

Óttar
01-28-2018, 01:34 AM
I'll probably learn Thai before I croke. Getting a permanent resident visa there is possible once I turn 35.

Iloko
01-28-2018, 02:04 AM
I'll probably learn Thai before I croke. Getting a permanent resident visa there is possible once I turn 35.
I heard Bangkok is a ton of fun..lots of party scenes too! I think Southeast Asian countries are also great places to retire and settle back from the hectic US work culture in general. Cost of living is also dramatically lower in SE-Asia I believe...In Manila for example I can get a newly built condo for only $175 a month. I also found some of the malls and hangout places to be nicer in Manila.

Good luck on learning Thai, it's an interesting language and sounds cool IMO! I grew up in a SE-Asian speaking household in the US and my Tagalog skills are still subpar though I'm still capable of amusing people here in Manila with my basic conversational skills lol.

Immigration-wise it is much easier for an American to immigrate to SE-Asia than for a native SE-Asian to immigrate to the US of course..the immigration laws seem to be much stricter in the latter case.

Iloko
01-28-2018, 02:06 AM
Ar last, an easy question: NONE !
I remember you wrote about being able to speak a South Asian language on the other hand? Am I right?

Kriptc06
01-28-2018, 02:09 AM
none, unless some Filipino mix Spanish and English in a way I understand.

Óttar
01-28-2018, 03:36 AM
I heard Bangkok is a ton of fun..lots of party scenes too! I think Southeast Asian countries are also great places to retire and settle back from the hectic US work culture in general. Cost of living is also dramatically lower in SE-Asia I believe...In Manila for example I can get a newly built condo for only $175 a month. I also found some of the malls and hangout places to be nicer in Manila.

Good luck on learning Thai, it's an interesting language and sounds cool IMO! I grew up in a SE-Asian speaking household in the US and my Tagalog skills are still subpar though I'm still capable of amusing people here in Manila with my basic conversational skills lol.

Immigration-wise it is much easier for an American to immigrate to SE-Asia than for a native SE-Asian to immigrate to the US of course..the immigration laws seem to be much stricter in the latter case.
The idea right now is to learn Chinese because international politics and business will become "bilateral" as the Chinese economy overtakes the US as the world's largest. The Chinese are expanding into Africa, many private Chinese citizens are buying up lots of real estate in Detroit (!), and China is even encroaching on the Philippines.

Thailand has absorbed influences from India and China and their Buddhism is very 'Hindu' compared to other ethnic Buddhisms. Thailand also has good food and excellent private health care.

Iloko
01-28-2018, 04:01 AM
The idea right now is to learn Chinese because international politics and business will become "bilateral" as the Chinese economy overtakes the US as the world's largest. The Chinese are expanding into Africa, many private Chinese citizens are buying up lots of real estate in Detroit (!), and China is even encroaching on the Philippines.

Thailand has absorbed influences from India and China and their Buddhism is very 'Hindu' compared to other ethnic Buddhisms. Thailand also has good food and excellent private health care.
I've heard Thailand's government is among the least corrupt in SE-Asia if I'm correct, and the country's infrastructure is overall superior to Philippines. Bangkok's airport is also light years ahead of Manila's Ninoy Aquino international Airport for example.

Yeah and much of the big shot billionaires investing in Philippines are Chinese and Japanese businessmen: http://news.abs-cbn.com/business/12/21/16/why-japanese-billionaire-okada-invested-in-philippines This Okada hotshot's ambition is apparently to trump the Almighty Vegas! The Chinese are also investing in Manila's new 'City of Pearl' smart-city project! ....That's just it Filipinos in general are usually not as adept as the Chinese/Japanese when it comes to business is what everyone seems to say! And I've read about China's 'expansionist agenda'.

This 32 language polyglot ranks Mandarin as the most difficult language of all to learn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8iKZEra5I0

To get an edge on business I wonder if it would be better to learn Mandarin, or perhaps Cantonese on the other hand..

greasycaveman
01-28-2018, 04:30 AM
if i was to learn some kind of mongoloid language
It would be a north east asian language.
i would learn japanese or korean.

Mingle
01-28-2018, 04:48 AM
How many can you speak? Just Tagalog or Ilocano as well?

zhaoyun
01-28-2018, 03:52 PM
I've heard Thailand's government is among the least corrupt in SE-Asia if I'm correct, and the country's infrastructure is overall superior to Philippines. Bangkok's airport is also light years ahead of Manila's Ninoy Aquino international Airport for example.

Yeah and much of the big shot billionaires investing in Philippines are Chinese and Japanese businessmen: http://news.abs-cbn.com/business/12/21/16/why-japanese-billionaire-okada-invested-in-philippines This Okada hotshot's ambition is apparently to trump the Almighty Vegas! The Chinese are also investing in Manila's new 'City of Pearl' smart-city project! ....That's just it Filipinos in general are usually not as adept as the Chinese/Japanese when it comes to business is what everyone seems to say! And I've read about China's 'expansionist agenda'.

This 32 language polyglot ranks Mandarin as the most difficult language of all to learn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8iKZEra5I0

To get an edge on business I wonder if it would be better to learn Mandarin, or perhaps Cantonese on the other hand..

Mandarin is undoubtedly way more useful than Cantonese. Cantonese is a local dialect and it's really only useful if you are living in Hong Kong, Macau, Guangzhou or dealing with some overseas Cantonese communities. Mandarin is the national language of China.

Anyways, to answer OP's question. I have learned phrases of Tagalog, Vietnamese, Thai, but obviously not learned anything in depth.

zhaoyun
01-28-2018, 03:54 PM

Obviously, learning Mandarin would be the most useful out of any Asian language when it comes to business for reasons I don't need to explain. China is a much harder place for foreigners to adapt to than Thailand. Thailand is pretty much a foreigner's playground, they bend over backwards to accommodate foreigners and many Westerners live there for decades without even having to learn Thai or even show the locals any modicum of respect even.

China is way more xenophobic and nationalistic, but if you are a Westerner who learns Mandarin well and generally has a respectful/friendly disposition, you will be treated well.

Iloko
01-30-2018, 09:26 PM
How many can you speak? Just Tagalog or Ilocano as well?
Just Tagalog :P but I'm glad that I can understand at least one non-Euro language as you get the best of both worlds. But to be honest knowing Tagalog is only really useful if you are living in Philippines.

I can't speak a single word of Ilocano or anything else. My father who's full Ilocano can sort of speak it, though not very well. My mother who is Tagalog only knows Tagalog.

How bout you do you know any non-Euro language?

Edit: I wish I could speak some Ilocano though!

Mingle
01-30-2018, 09:32 PM
How bout you do you know any non-Euro language?!

I can speak Pashto and Urdu/Hindi. I know a tiny bit of Persian and hope to learn it soon.