PDA

View Full Version : Attacks on immigrants highlight rise of fascist groups in Italy

dddcc
02-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Attacks on immigrants highlight rise of fascist groups in Italy
Antifascists say authorities have no will to stop ‘unconstitutional’ far-right parties

Lorenzo Tondo in Palermo

@lorenzo_tondo
Tue 6 Feb 2018 14.06 GMT Last modified on Wed 7 Feb 2018 09.51 GMT
View more sharing options
Shares
Far-right activists perform fascist salutes during a rally in 2012.
Far-right activists perform fascist salutes during a rally in 2012. Photograph: Tiziana Fabi/AFP/Getty Images
More than 70 years after Benito Mussolini’s death, thousands of Italians are joining self-described fascist groups in a surge of support that antifascist groups blame on the portrayal of the refugee crisis, the rise of fake news and the country’s failure to deal with its past.

Berlusconi pledges to deport 600,000 illegal immigrants from Italy
Read more
The shooting in Macerata on Saturday that left six Africans injured was only the latest in a series of attacks perpetrated by people linked to the extreme right. According to the antifascist organisation Infoantifa Ecn, there have been 142 attacks by neofascist groups since 2014.

As Luca Traini, 28, was questioned over the Macerata shooting, four North Africans in Pavia told police on Sunday that they had been beaten up during the night by a group of 25 skinheads. On 13 January in Naples, dozens of people belonging to the far-right association Forza Nuova broke into a bar where a meeting on Roma culture was being held, causing damage and wounding a female organiser.

In 2001, Forza Nuova had just 1,500 members. Today, it has more than 13,000 and its Facebook page has more than 241,000 followers, almost 20,000 more than the Democratic party, Italy’s biggest leftwing party. The fascist-inspired CasaPound party has almost 234,000 followers. Its secretary, Simone Di Stefano, is running for prime minister in the 4 March general election.

“We grew up on our own, without the help of the media,” Adriano Da Pozzo, a Forza Nuova leader, told the Guardian. “The other parties aimed at promoting their candidates, while we aim for the promotion of our ideas.” The far-right group has offered legal support to Traini.

Antifascist groups say an apparent reluctance to take action against the far-right groups is allowing their rise. A bill introduced last year into the chamber of deputies, the parliament’s lower house, by the MP Emanuele Fiano to prohibit fascist propaganda would have allowed up to two years in jail for those who sold fascist souvenirs or performed the Roman salute, which is illegal in both Germany and Austria. After the opposition of Silvio Berlusconi’s party, Forza Italia, and the Lega Nord, the bill was blocked in the senate.

“We are very worried,” said Carla Nespolo, the president of the National Association of Italian Partisans (ANPI), a group founded by members of the Italian resistance against Mussolini. “These new fascists attack our offices and there seems to be no will to stop them. We asked the government to prevent the participation of fascist-inspired parties in the upcoming elections, because they were unconstitutional, and we never received an answer.”

The Italian constitution forbids the “promotion of any association that pursues the aims of the Fascist party or anyone who exalts its principles.” Yet the authorities have never intervened against CasaPound and Forza Nuova, whose members show off swastikas and fascist flags during their demonstrations.

The ANPI last year drew up a list of 500 internet sites praising fascism in Italy, asking that they be blocked. Nothing was done.

“These are sites that spread hatred among people, especially against migrants,” said Nespolo, “especially against migrants. “And they do it by spreading fake news about refugees on the social networks.’’ False accounts of rapes perpetrated by asylum seekers are shared by thousands on Facebook and Twitter.

“Fake news has played a crucial role in the propaganda of the extreme right,” said Francesco Pira, a communications sociologist at the University of Messina and expert on fake news.

“There seems to be no vigilance on them. The problem does not only concern the totally false news, but also news items where the word ‘clandestine’ is used to describe migrants, marking asylum seekers out as criminals, a notion that seems to be one of the most welcomed pieces of propaganda by the right.”

Laura Boldrini, the president of the chamber of deputies, is a frequent target of fake news: she has both proposed fines and even imprisonment for those who spread false stories and, as a former spokeswoman for the United Nations high commissioner for refugees, was known for having a humanitarian approach to the migrant crisis. Immediately after the shootings in Macerata, a photo depicting Boldrini’s “severed head’’ appeared with the inscription: “Decapitated by a Nigerian: this is the end she needed to meet in order to appreciate her friends’ customs.”

The shootings happened days after a Nigerian man was arrested in connection with the death of an 18-year-old Italian woman, Pamela Mastropietro, whose dismembered body was discovered hidden in two suitcases near Macerata. Rightwingers have seized on her death to promote their anti-migrant message.

Just as the right is moving forward, Benito Mussolini is appearing in Italian cinemas in the satire movie I’m Back, which imagines the dictator returning to the Italy of 2018. “The Italians, unlike the Germans, never dealt with their dictator, they have never removed him,” said the director Luca Maniero. “Watching what is happening, today, in our country, I am convinced that if Mussolini came back, he would win the election.’’

dddcc
02-07-2018, 07:27 PM
What's the problem with Italy!?
Economically speaking Italy is very develpped, being a member of G8, yet at the democracy and human rights level this country is very backward with racism and fascism being expressed overtly by political leaders.

grecoroman
02-07-2018, 07:31 PM
european union brought the worst of the world togheter. communist vs nationalist, islamist vs atheist, trans vs sis gender, gay vs straight, white vs non white. all blood shed in the future is on the hands of these marxist politicians.

wvwvw
02-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Economically speaking Italy is very develpped, being a member of G8, yet at the democracy and human rights level this country is very backward with racism and fascism being expressed overtly by political leaders.

Did you draw that conclusion based on one incident? All Italian political parties condemned the incidence including the league of the north.

The Italian hilltop village fighting to keep its migrants

Nigerian James Eghosa, one of the migrants who had to leave the center, wrote a touching Facebook post thanking the community for its hospitality and friendship as he said farewell. Under it, a number of residents left comments expressing sorrow for the migrants' sudden departure from the village.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/24/world/italian-town-migrants/index.html

KMack
02-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Large scale illegal immigration is not good. Eventually there will be blow back, especially after the illegal cut up an 18 year old girl and put her in a suitcase.

Odin
02-09-2018, 01:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Es1Jy7aAI

Hadouken
02-09-2018, 07:04 AM

the racist chick at 2:00 is kinda cute/pretty <3 what she says is disgusting though

and 2:40 ... I dont know how long he is in italy but he has to learn the language . if he doesnt bother learning it then it is a no go

Finnish Swede
02-09-2018, 07:29 AM

G8 does not prove anything!

Italy is a big market area and big economy in Europe...but that does not mean automatically it is healthy economy.
Plus those numbers should be always compared to nation's size (numbers of inhabitants)...and not only total euros.

Yaglakar
02-09-2018, 07:35 AM
the racist chick at 2:00 is kinda cute/pretty <3 what she says is disgusting though

and 2:40 ... I dont know how long he is in italy but he has to learn the language . if he doesnt bother learning it then it is a no go

Not really. Ugly inside out. Plus that voice of hers from heavy smoking... :)

wvwvw
02-09-2018, 08:11 AM
G8 does not prove anything!

Italy is a big market area and big economy in Europe...but that does not mean automatically it is healthy economy.
Plus those numbers should be always compared to nation's size (numbers of inhabitants)...and not only total euros.

It is however the faulty design of the euro that is sickening its economy as it is designed to greatly benefit Germany at the expense of all others.

wvwvw
02-09-2018, 08:16 AM
No point in attacking immigrants, Muslims and all those people that come from different cultures. They are who they are. Attack the NGO’s, globalists and leftists who bring them or encourage them to come here.

Attacking immigrants will only create resentment and hatred towards whites. Besides no sane person would hate an immigrant for his skin color, most people would like to see blacks and other third world immigrants prosper in their own countries and continents.

Finnish Swede
02-09-2018, 09:34 AM
It is however the faulty design of the euro that is sickening its economy as it is designed to greatly benefit Germany at the expense of all others.

Yes, agree.
I would even say...whole euro is mistake and impossible.

Catholic Europe should have had their own currency and protestant Europe their own currency. That would have worked much, much better.

LoLeL
02-09-2018, 09:54 AM

Civil wars may happen in some European countries.

Odin
02-13-2018, 01:13 AM
I dont know how long he is in italy but he has to learn the language . if he doesnt bother learning it then it is a no go

Are Kurds and Turks in Germany well integrated? Do they all speak German?

Kouros
02-13-2018, 01:16 AM
I knew they had it in them

wvwvw
02-13-2018, 05:05 AM
Thousands of Italians marched against racism and fascism though

Protesters have gathered to denounce racism after an Italian man opened fire on African migrants in Macerata. Immigration has become one of the most important political issues in the run-up to parliamentary elections.

Up to 30,000 demonstrators marched through the streets of Macerata carrying placards and shouting slogans against rising right-wing extremism. Protesters also gathered in Milan and other cities across Italy.

Hadouken
02-13-2018, 05:47 AM
Are Kurds and Turks in Germany well integrated? Do they all speak German?

for Kurds : mostly yes . mostly yes

turks often too but they are a controverse topic here on TA so I dont want to speak in their name

Latinus
02-13-2018, 10:28 PM
Since Italy is such a racist country, I have an advice to the immigrants: take a plane and go back to the third world countries you came from.

The Jewish/white liberal media always playing the same agenda: immigrants are victims and the nationalists are evil people.

I don't agree with violence, but there is a double standard there. The media that bashes nationalists for attacking immigrants is the same one that keeps quiet about the mass crime/rape rate of muslims, africans and other immigrants against Euros.

Dandelion
02-13-2018, 11:12 PM

Even if he learned perfect Italian, he'd be out of place there due to his cultural norms being different from and even conflicting with the Italian ones. But yes, learning the language is learning the culture too, so it's a good first step. An evident step that should be self-explanatory.

I personally don't feel insulted that as a European I'm deemed foreign in other countries as my moral compass.

Dandelion
02-13-2018, 11:14 PM
Yes, agree.
I would even say...whole euro is mistake and impossible.

Catholic Europe should have had their own currency and protestant Europe their own currency. That would have worked much, much better.

Keep in mind that Catholic Bavaria is wealthier most of Northern Germany which is Protestant. And as a Flemish person I neither would like to be part of a union of Southerners whom I feel less cultural affinity toward than to Dutch people.

We are lapsed Catholics though. The Counter-Reformation as pulled through by the Hapsburgs was a success here. Even if Protestantism did flourish here once, it only lasted a few generations and Catholicism returned with malcontents leaving to the North (more like under pressure of inquisition).
Moreover, the Netherlands are a Calvinist country by national ethos, even though it has more members being part of the Catholic Church than there are of a Dutch Reformed one. So I would still call it a Protestant country, despite being mixed in religion contrary to Scandinavian countries or the UK. Some people in the Northern Netherlands are 'proud' to be Catholic, because their religion was outlawed for centuries. No inquisition though, but an outlawed religion which existed only underground until the early 19th century. They are proud because they're in Protestant majority land. In the Southern Netherlands Catholics are the majority, even many if the most ardent Protestants live in Zeeland province (who are also the most religious Dutch people out there, to the point they believe in Young Earth Creationism).

Other interesting example are the Czech. The most atheist Europeans (except for the Estonians perhaps) and historical a place where reformation took place, only to get reversed by the Hapsburgs. Now Mikula doesn't agree with me, but I do believe this contributed to the high degree of atheism there today even if the initiation of this evolution was invisible for generations. It was a push in that direction, I believe to get felt centuries later. In the end religion often exists from the bottom rather than get imposed from the top.

Odin
02-14-2018, 01:51 AM
Keep in mind that Catholic Bavaria is wealthier most of Northern Germany which is Protestant.

https://jaymans.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/stereotype-funny.jpg?w=595

ovidiu
02-15-2018, 10:38 PM
Attacks on people and extremism aren't good, and there are a lot of problems with that, but I think uncontrolled immigration can also be problematic, for both the newcomers and the native populations (has nothing to do with animosity toward any people, but just the practical effects). My stance on this has changed. I noticed Italy has changed since I first went there back in the late 90s on family vacation. It was really nice at the time. I have a few friends from there and they're pretty open minded. But I can still see why some people feel their culture is being encroached on. The original fascist Italy in the 20s was an interesting experiment and wasn't all bad, I think. It made things more efficient.

Speaking of Turks in Germany, they have started integrating better now after being there for decades, from what I hear. I spent some time in Germany as a young kid like over twenty years ago, and my father always had problems with the Turks. He said living in a neighborhood with them was depressing. But it was only half a year. I think that's a bit extreme, and I can't agree with a view like that. I even have friends from Turkey. As long as people make an effort and can adopt the ways of the culture they live in and respect it, they should be okay and treated with respect. That's how it is in the US and Canada.

Black Panther
02-15-2018, 10:44 PM

So she is racist but could still get your D? I don't know about you, but I don't fuck with racist chicks like that.