PDA

View Full Version : Do Armenians look more like Georgians or Persians?

Mingle
02-13-2018, 09:40 PM
Out of these two, who do Armenians look more like?

Crimean
02-13-2018, 09:43 PM
Armenians are something in the middle between Greeks and Persians, IMO. Pure Armenians have quite distinct look, they are difficult to mix up with someone.

Mingle
02-13-2018, 10:24 PM
Armenians are something in the middle between Greeks and Persians, IMO. Pure Armenians have quite distinct look, they are difficult to mix up with someone.

I always thought Armenians looked like Assyrians, Kurds, & to a somewhat lesser extent Levantines whereas Georgians had somewhat of a unique look.

grecoroman
02-13-2018, 10:29 PM
chechens georgians ingush and russian circassians are genetically the most native compared to armenians azeris and dagestanis

MysteriousWays
02-13-2018, 10:30 PM
Neither really. Closer to Assyrians, Kurds, and some Mizrahi Jews in terms of looks IMO, but they have somewhat of their own look.

Mingle
02-13-2018, 10:33 PM
IMO, they look a bit closer to the westernmost Persians but are overall an intermediate between the two. Georgians have somewhat of their own look and North Caucasians would be the group that could pass best among them.

Odin
02-13-2018, 10:42 PM
Intermediate.

LoLeL
02-14-2018, 04:13 PM
Between those groups

Thracian
02-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Closer to Persians.

Böri
02-14-2018, 04:16 PM
North Persian, East Georgians, South Persians, West-Central Georgians. This order. Genetically the Armenians are very Assyrian, so overall they'd be closer to Persians. Georgians cluster more with Abkhasians.

Jana
02-14-2018, 04:19 PM
Georgians, differences exist but are exeggarated....

Mingle
02-14-2018, 04:20 PM
North Persian, East Georgians, South Persians, West-Central Georgians. This order. Genetically the Armenians are very Assyrian, so overall they'd be closer to Persians. Georgians cluster more with Abkhasians.

Vote :p

Mingle
02-14-2018, 04:21 PM

Genetically, they're closer to Persians: http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/showthread.php?t=46588

Hadouken
02-14-2018, 04:23 PM
I always thought Armenians looked like Assyrians, Kurds, & to a somewhat lesser extent Levantines whereas Georgians had somewhat of a unique look.

Armenians look closer to us Turkey Kurds than to Georgians but closer to Georgians overall than to most Persians (and they have an overlap with Assyrians but not as much as one would think .they overlap more with us than assyrians tbh. maybe because of geographic proximity) . not necessarily because persians being sooo exxxxotic but persians often have their own specific look and also many types that just dont exist anywhere west of iran (or if they do then as atypical) . and contrary to what many people assume persians dont have that big of an overlap with us either .

this is my experience being 1. turkey kurd myself 2. having met/known many iranians and 3. met some armenians too and we also have some armenians in our regions 4. being awesome in taxonomy :cool:

Böri
02-14-2018, 04:25 PM
Vote :p

Armenians were client of Persians for good part of their history.
It's also Persians who 'blocked' them from participating to Kadıköy Council (Council of Chalcedon) in Istanbul where the basic dogmas of Christianity was revised by Byzantines in 451 AD. As a result the Persians caused Armenians turned also different in their faith compared to Orthodoxes.

Schism West - East was during 11th century.
Schism Armenians - West+East was during 5th century.
Shah Yazdegerd of Sassanians bringing Armenians into submission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d4FHivSplU

Mingle
02-14-2018, 04:27 PM
Armenians look closer to us Turkey Kurds than to Georgians but closer to Georgians overall than to most Persians (and they have an overlap with Assyrians but not as much as one would think .they overlap more with us than assyrians tbh. maybe because of geographic proximity) . not necessarily because persians being sooo exxxxotic but persians often have their own specific look and also many types that just dont exist anywhere west of iran . and contrary to what many people assume persians dont have that big of an overlap with us either .

this is my experience being 1. turkey kurd myself 2. having met/known many iranians and 3. met some armenians too and we also have some armenians in our regions 4. being awesome in taxonomy :cool:

How common are Mtebids among Armens and Kurds?

Do you think Turkish Kurds look more like Georgians or Persians?

LoLeL
02-14-2018, 04:30 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/09/elmo-tl_dr.gif

Hadouken
02-14-2018, 04:37 PM
How common are Mtebids among Armens and Kurds?

exists sometimes among us and probably a little more among armenians

here 2 guys from my province that I would classify mtebid for example.or at least partly so (first guy is definitely from my province and I assume the guys in the video too looking at the title but not 100% sure about them. but pretty sure ...they also look it)

http://up.picr.de/26014382et.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx8a78IBYWQ

Do you think Turkish Kurds look more like Georgians or Persians?

closer to northwest iranians such as gilaki or talysh people than georgians but closer to georgians than to some other iranians especially south and east iran

Nosferatu_
02-14-2018, 04:49 PM
As much as I know Persians on average are much darker than Armenians.Armenians are usually light or just olive skinned(at least those which I've seen) so they must be closer to us Georgians than them but phenotipically different.

Thambi
02-14-2018, 05:45 PM
I think georgians. Persians as previously mentioned are darker than both armenians and georgians. Persians look arab influenced as well so many of them actually look more like iraqis imo.

Hadouken
02-14-2018, 06:11 PM
I think georgians. Persians as previously mentioned are darker than both armenians and georgians. Persians look arab influenced as well so many of them actually look more like iraqis imo.

Persians are diverse but a lot of persians are not nearly as dark as you say/think . they are also often trolled in forums especially by people either south or east of them so people think of them in a way which is different than reality

Nosferatu_
02-14-2018, 06:26 PM

Georgia has a big number of Armenians but average Georgian and average Armenian looks are completely different from each other.Different shape of head,nose,eyes etc. and they tent to be more olive skinned while Georgians are usually very light skinned.Although I must say Armenians are lighter than people here think they are.
p.s. They might also have some ME people because of their location

They look neither us nor Persians and not even something between us two,they have their very own look that maybe exists only in Armenia.

oszkar07
02-14-2018, 07:35 PM

From curiosity ... what makes them genetically similiar to Assyrian besides from being Christians they are otherwise very different in terms of language-culture and history ?
Are you suggesting they have a similiar origin-root or are simiar due to other factors in your oppinion ?

Böri
02-14-2018, 07:40 PM
From curiosity ... what makes them genetically similiar to Assyrian besides from being Christians they are otherwise very different in terms of language-culture and history ?
Are you suggesting they have a similiar origin-root or are simiar due to other factors in your oppinion ?

I meant genetically. Armenians have different y-haps than Assyrians but autosomally they are very similar. Armenians drift to Assyrians, while Georgians team with Abkhasians autosomally.

Mingle
02-14-2018, 08:13 PM

Here is an Armenian oracle: http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/showthread.php?t=46588

He is not the most typical for an Armenian since he gets them at a distance of @9 (though I'm speculating that could be cause his ancestors were from Turkey), but they're still one of his closest matches. Based on his oracle, he is likely a bit more northern shifted than the average Armenian. Their culture is also very similar besides their genetics. They have many foods and clothing in common too.

Here is an interesting thread on it: https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?1968-Assyrian-Autosomal-DNA-Thread/page2

Here is a more comprehensive piece written on Armenian-Assyrian relations: http://www.atour.com/education/20040927a.html

Mingle
02-14-2018, 08:16 PM
Georgia has a big number of Armenians but average Georgian and average Armenian looks are completely different from each other.Different shape of head,nose,eyes etc. and they tent to be more olive skinned while Georgians are usually very light skinned.Although I must say Armenians are lighter than people here think they are.
p.s. They might also have some ME people because of their location

They look neither us nor Persians and not even something between us two,they have their very own look that maybe exists only in Armenia.

Their look isn't that unique. They look like Levantines, at least superficially. There was an Armenian guy who asked people to guess his ethnicity and everybody guessed Arab (Iraqi, Syrian) and Persian. But there was also another one that looked like he could pass as Georgian.

user_
02-15-2018, 06:14 PM
Different from both group, but closer to Geos, there are mtebid types among Armenians, they are not as dark as people think here.

Dandelion
02-15-2018, 06:40 PM
Armenians look very diverse, but they tend to be very dark-ish on average. I only know one personally, though.

Keshav
02-16-2018, 07:20 AM
Armenians have a distinct look. They're more tanned than Georgians who tend to be lighter. Both groups also have distinct facial structures. That being the case, Armenians still look way closer to Georgians than they do to Persians. As already mentioned Armenians are olive toned and get lighter whereas Persians are majority brown with the lightest individuals among them having olive complexions.

Armenian Bishop
02-16-2018, 07:51 AM
Their look isn't that unique. They look like Levantines, at least superficially. There was an Armenian guy who asked people to guess his ethnicity and everybody guessed Arab (Iraqi, Syrian) and Persian. But there was also another one that looked like he could pass as Georgian.

Is the Levant the dumping ground for West Asians & Armenians? Armenian features are diverse, and aren't simply Levantine.

Armenian Bishop
02-16-2018, 08:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVHrSgT7aYU

These are Armenian dancers and musicians in Yerevan, Armenia.
They present a good example of some typical features found among Armenians.

Zroota
02-16-2018, 10:12 AM
Half and half. Some do, some don't.

But I've seen more Armenians that look like Persians, due to their dark features. Georgians tend to look more Slavic or eastern European.

Mingle
02-17-2018, 02:47 AM
Is the Levant the dumping ground for West Asians & Armenians?

xD

Armenian features are diverse, and aren't simply Levantine.

I don't think they look identical to Levantines but I generally associate Armens with Assyrians and Kurds, and I feel like those two people share a significant overlap with Levantines. I don't think Armens look that much like Levantines, but their look probably isn't rare among them either. Or am I mistaken? I admit I'm not too informed on Armen phenotypes.