PDA

View Full Version : Was Buddha a Scythian?

Saleko
02-16-2018, 10:43 PM
http://thaimangoes.blogspot.rs/2009/08/h9.html

Really interesting article, about the origins of the Buddha, Buddha belonged to the warrior tribe called Shakya. It somehow sounds similliar to Saka, which was the Persian name for the Scythians.

Vigilance
02-17-2018, 03:02 AM
Saka is also Sanskrit for Scythian.

Buddhist legend talks about how the Buddha was non-Aryan etc though they literally used the term "he was not Aryan..."

Nordarya
01-12-2020, 06:12 AM
He may have been of Scythian origin, but Nepal was never part of Scythia. Even funnier, is that Scythians were the most Aryan people outside of Persia.

tipirneni
02-17-2020, 09:59 PM
Shakya were Scythian but not Brahmins. They were taken as Kshetriyas which is warrior caste. There were numerous Scythian groups coming into India since antiquity. Scythian Medes, East Iranics Scythian, Tocharians related groups, Karasuk, Sai people from Tian shan, Saka from Bactria, Kushan, White Huns etc...

Ülev
02-17-2020, 10:16 PM
didn't notice before that my table in my second house has a symbol of Buddhism

https://a.uguu.se/IpFP1YdICzUu.jpg

Viçwāmitra
02-18-2020, 07:50 PM
No, his tribe is called Sakya not Saka, Sakya was an Vedic tribe and Buddha himself claimed origin from (a brahmin) Gautama Sage and Angirasa.

There were no Scythians in South Asia at that time.

Some Indologists have even claimed that my brahmin clan is Central Asian Iranian jist became there's a similarity in Name.

tipirneni
02-18-2020, 08:04 PM
No, his tribe is called Sakya not Saka, Sakya was an Vedic tribe and Buddha himself claimed origin from (a brahmin) Gautama Sage and Angirasa.

There were no Scythians in South Asia at that time.

Some Indologists have even claimed that my brahmin clan is Central Asian Iranian jist became there's a similarity in Name.

Prior to MLBA migrations, the society is not strict vedic. So people who came with original Saraswats, Saraiyuparis might have been Kshatriyas some times some probably became Bhumihars. The 2123 2125 clades of R1a might have come long before the Steppe MLBA migration which probably created the Vedic village like culture whereas these earlier ones might have been assimilated in the Harappan Society as you can see some small towns have Agni hundam for Vedic like Fire worship

Joso
02-18-2020, 08:15 PM
In many statues, Buddha looks mongoloid influenced imo. No idea to which degree these can be reliably though.
The famous depiction of Buddha with curly hair and a bun at the top of the head was inspired on the marble sculpture "Apollo Belvedere" at the time of Greco-Buddhist interaction.

Viçwāmitra
02-18-2020, 08:16 PM
Prior to MLBA migrations, the society is not strict vedic. So people who came with original Saraswats, Saraiyuparis might have been Kshatriyas some times some probably became Bhumihars. The 2123 2125 clades of R1a might have come long before the Steppe MLBA migration which probably created the Vedic village like culture whereas these earlier ones might have been assimilated in the Harappan Society as you can see some small towns have Agni hundam for Vedic like Fire worship

Harrapans were Neolithic people not IE, and Haplogroup =|= Race or Language.

For all things that you have written you need to provide a source, do you have any ?

Viçwāmitra
02-18-2020, 08:18 PM
In many statues, Buddha looks mongoloid influenced imo. No idea to which degree these can be reliably though.
The famous image of Budda with curly hair and a bun at the top of the head was inspired on the marble sculpture "Apollo Belvedere" at the time of Greco-Buddhist interaction.Idol worship was not widespread/banned/looked down during early Vedic Age as we worshipped Gods by doing Yajna at least twice a day.

So maybe that's why Buddha and Buddhist did not make his image and used dharma chakra as concentration for their worship until greeks came and introduced idol worship?

Tauromachos
02-18-2020, 08:20 PM
I imagine the real Budda looked kinda like Jolsonaro

Not exactly the same but somehow similar

Joso
02-18-2020, 08:22 PM
I imagine the real Budda looked kinda like Jolsonaro

Not exactly the same but somehow similar

Irano-nordoid with some mongoloid?

Tauromachos
02-18-2020, 08:24 PM
Irano Nordid with some CM

Viçwāmitra
02-18-2020, 08:37 PM
Saka is also Sanskrit for Scythian.

Buddhist legend talks about how the Buddha was non-Aryan etc though they literally used the term "he was not Aryan..."

I am 99% sure that Saka is not Sanskrit word, i think we don't have any Sanskrit name for Scythian people as Saka was borrowed from Persians after they came near borders of Vedoc civilization.

tipirneni
02-18-2020, 08:40 PM
Harrapans were Neolithic people not IE, and Haplogroup =|= Race or Language.

For all things that you have written you need to provide a source, do you have any ?

The presence of IVC seals in Mesopotamia, Shahr-e-Sokhte, BMAC and also presence of some of the Indian mtDNA in Iraq and aDNA in Iran and BMAC proves that the IVC/Harappan people were far more connected to the bigger cities than the village based MLBA groups coming in later into Gangetic plains. The MLBA groups look like majority R1a based on higher (~80%) among the priestly caste in Gangetic basin. But this Clad is not found in other places until now probably due to genetic bottleneck during migrations into India.

Viçwāmitra
02-18-2020, 08:48 PM
The presence of IVC seals in Mesopotamia, Shahr-e-Sokhte, BMAC and also presence of some of the Indian mtDNA in Iraq and aDNA in Iran and BMAC proves that the IVC/Harappan people were far more connected to the bigger cities than the village based MLBA groups coming in later into Gangetic plains.

The MLBA groups look like majority R1a based on higher (~80%) among the priestly caste in Gangetic basin. But this Clad is not found in other places until now probably due to genetic bottleneck during migrations into India.

I don't know DNA stuff much but i know history and based on that i want to say:

1) we also found Sumerian items in Harrpa as both were good treading partners for their entire history, ports like Lothal used to tread with both sumer and East Africa.

2) Indians from Sindh, Gujarat as well as Punjab and Kerala settled in those regions in ancient times just like Arabs from those regions settled heavily in West Indian coastline, this genetic similarity can be result of such migration?

3) what this stuff have to do with Sakya-Buddha discussion that we were having before?