PDA

View Full Version : Guns sales surge after Obama's election

Vulpix
11-11-2008, 06:59 PM
The trend is hardly surprising :D...

CNN (http://edition.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/11/obama.gun.sales/index.html#cnnSTCText): Bernie Conatser has never seen business this good. The owner of a gun shop in the Washington suburb of Manassas, Virginia, Conatser said sales have doubled or tripled the numbers he racked up in late October. Saturday, he said, he did as much business as he would normally do in a week.

"I have been in business for 12 years, and I was here for Y2K, September 11, Katrina," Conatser said, as a steady stream of customers browsed what remained of his stock. "And all of those were big events, and we did notice a spike in business, but nothing on the order of what we are seeing right now."

Weapons dealers in much of the United States are reporting sharply higher sales since Barack Obama won the presidency a week ago. Buyers and sellers attribute the surge to worries that Obama and a Democratic-controlled Congress will move to restrict firearm ownership, despite the insistence of campaign aides that the president-elect supports gun rights and considers the issue a low priority.

According to FBI figures for the week of November 3 to 9, the bureau received more than 374,000 requests for background checks on gun purchasers -- a nearly 49 percent increase over the same period in 2007. Conatser said his store, Virginia Arms Company, has run out of some models -- such as the AR-15 rifle, the civilian version of the military's M-16 -- and is running low on others.
Such assault weapons are among the firearms that gun dealers and customers say they fear Obama will hit with new restrictions (http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Gun_Control), or even take off the market.
Virginia gun owner Kyle Lewandowski said he was buying a .45-caliber pistol to "hedge my bets."

"Every election year, you have to worry about your rights being eroded a little bit at a time," he said. "I also knew, because of the Democrat majority and because of the election, everybody would have the same reaction I did," he added.

Dealers in Colorado, Ohio, Connecticut and New Hampshire also reported seeing major increases.

"It's a fact that the liberal Democrats that now control all three branches of our government do not like guns. They want us out of business," Connecticut resident Scott Hoffman said. "They don't want the average American to have a right to defend themselves."

And New Hampshire gun owner Lloyd Clement said, "I think there's going to be an attack to some degree on the gun owners." [...]

Arrow Cross
11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Yepp. But not just Americans, we all need to learn to use handguns, preferably multiple types, owing them too, if possible. Just in case. Hard times are ahead.

Vulpix
11-11-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm in total agreement with you on this Arrow Cross.
As soon as possible, I will take steps in that direction.
I have never fired a handgun, not out of choice but because of lack of opportunity :coffee:... I know I would have if I lived in a place where citizens had the right to bear arms :(.

We're going to need them.

Especially us women to defend ourselves from "ethnics" attacks in the street. I have been assaulted by one such barbarian in broad daylight... that made up my mind on the guns issue, I tell you :mad:

Teuton
11-11-2008, 07:40 PM
My father took me to shooting lessons and all those thingies when I was younger. I learnt to shoot his revolver, pump-action shotgun and rifle. I'm glad he did that. It was nice of him.:)

It makes sense that Americans are buying guns like that, with Obama who could stop selling guns, to minor civil war, there are plenty of reasons.

Arrow Cross
11-11-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm in total agreement with you on this Arrow Cross.
As soon as possible, I will take steps in that direction.
I have never fired a handgun, not out of choice but because of lack of opportunity :coffee:... I know I would have if I lived in a place where citizens had the right to bear arms :(.

We're going to need them.

Especially us women to defend ourselves from "ethnics" attacks in the street. I have been assaulted by one such barbarian in broad daylight... that made up my mind on the guns issue, I tell you :mad:
Yeah, I had my share of that too. Brawls are so...uncivilized. :p

Glad to hear that especially from you, but then again, I knew you wouldn't be a bleeding- and weak-hearted wench that I despise so much. It's not just that females need guns, they need them even more. But it's usually a mental decision that keeps them away from such nasty and violent things. :p

Aragorn
11-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Now this is interesting.

A brownie get elected and people get armed?:rolleyes:

But somehow I dont think anything will change.