PDA

View Full Version : Destination - Africa

Ivanushka-supertzar
02-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but still...

So I plan to join one of those Humana programms volunteering in Africa. They offer number of destinations: Zambia, Mozambique, Guinea-Bissau and Zimbabwe. My question is: does anyone here have an experience living in those countries or maybe travelling by? Id like to know which place is safer, and which has most beautiful scenery for hiking and taking pictures. I look on it as some kind of big adventure but 6 months is a long time so I want to be sure I wont regret that.
So Id like to hear your thougths, opinions, ideas on that matter.

The Ripper
02-07-2011, 07:41 PM
The people I know who've gone on those humanitarian expeditions in Africa came back as hardcore racists. :D

Fortis in Arduis
02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Zambia is peaceful but read this first before getting involved with that people to people thingy:

http://www.tvindalert.com/

Ivanushka-supertzar
02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
The people I know who've gone on those humanitarian expeditions in Africa came back as hardcore racists. :D

Well, but were they healhty? What about Tsetse flies, malaria mosquitos and other dangerous insects plaguing those lands. I know there's a whole list of diseases you can catch from them. :eek:

Ivanushka-supertzar
02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Zambia is peaceful but read this first before getting involved with that people to people thingy:

http://www.tvindalert.com/

Thank you, this is very valuable link. Ill read this up.

The Ripper
02-07-2011, 08:03 PM
My friend from work who spent some time in Tanzania doing volunteer work said that the locals tended to lie about the strangest things, as if all concepts were totally fluid to them. For example, she asked if a certain field had been cleared of snakes and a local said it had. But as soon as she was walking across it, she saw some really poisonous snake or something. She was baffled why someone would lie about such a thing. :cool:

Debaser11
02-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I think the most humane thing the West can do for sub-Saharan Africa is to get the fuck out, honestly. Even the humanitarian crowd. Our presence has brought an unnatural disruption (destroying its natural balance) to the region which has been disasterous. I think your heart is in the right place but I also think you've been manipulated into thinking it's really a good thing to do (when in all honesty, it's probably just creating a population bubble that cannot sustain itself).

Why not direct your efforts into helping preserve your own culture which is undersiege by alien invaders? It's much less popular thing to do but no less noble. Just my two cents.

Groenewolf
02-08-2011, 03:44 AM
I think the most humane thing the West can do for sub-Saharan Africa is to get the fuck out, honestly.

I think that would be a bad idea. What is needed is a more realistic approach the that part of the world, uninfluenced by humanitarian/Christian idealism. Because in the end they do have a lot of resources that if not controlled by us, will be controlled by other parties who might not be so friendly towards us.

Debaser11
02-08-2011, 04:15 AM
I think that would be a bad idea. What is needed is a more realistic approach the that part of the world, uninfluenced by humanitarian/Christian idealism. Because in the end they do have a lot of resources that if not controlled by us, will be controlled by other parties who might not be so friendly towards us.

Well, I can go along with that. But much of the efforts (even secularized ones) are about "bringing Africa into the 21st century." That is not realistic.

Grumpy Cat
02-08-2011, 05:14 AM
I think the most humane thing the West can do for sub-Saharan Africa is to get the fuck out, honestly. Even the humanitarian crowd. Our presence has brought an unnatural disruption (destroying its natural balance) to the region which has been disasterous. I think your heart is in the right place but I also think you've been manipulated into thinking it's really a good thing to do (when in all honesty, it's probably just creating a population bubble that cannot sustain itself).

Why not direct your efforts into helping preserve your own culture which is undersiege by alien invaders? It's much less popular thing to do but no less noble. Just my two cents.

You hit the nail on the head. Dependence on Western aid is doing Africa more harm than good. I mean, I'm all for helping people temporarily (like in situations of natural disaster, drought, war, etc but that's not just Africa but Europe, Asia, Americas or anywhere) but people need to stand on their own two feet.

It's like if you as a parent do everything for your kid and then wonder why he's still living with you at 30.

If I was to go to Africa to help people, it would be in a place where there was a recent disaster and they need temporary help, because I too experienced that, we get hurricanes where I live and help is needed for a few days/weeks.

Ivanushka-supertzar
02-08-2011, 08:24 AM
I partially agree with your point, but with those death rates some regions of Africa are having disaster situation almost on a daily basis. Average life expectancy is about 37 years in most of their countries. Of course, excessive (financial) aid can do them harm, but selective teaching work can really help them to stay healhty or at least fight HIV/AIDS.

Debaser11
02-08-2011, 09:15 AM
I partially agree with your point, but with those death rates some regions of Africa are having disaster situation almost on a daily basis. Average life expectancy is about 37 years in most of their countries. Of course, excessive (financial) aid can do them harm, but selective teaching work can really help them to stay healhty or at least fight HIV/AIDS.

Africans must figure out for themselves how to live. We know that Western involvement within their culture renders this nearly impossible. Such involvement also seems to breed a mixture of helplessness and resentment. Before things can ever get better, the house of cards the West has built up has to come crashing down. I'd prefer not building it up any higher before the inevitable.