PDA

View Full Version : Why did Czechoslovakia broke apart?

TheForeigner
03-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Why did Czechoslovakia broke apart into two countries? I guess Czechs and Slovaks are separate peoples, but are they really that different culturally? It's great that they split up peacefully, unlike Yugoslavia, but why not stick together?

TheForeigner
03-06-2018, 05:46 AM
bump

Bobby Martnen
03-06-2018, 06:07 AM
Slovaks didn't like being dominated by the Czechs.

TheForeigner
03-06-2018, 06:13 AM
Slovaks didn't like being dominated by the Czechs.

It's a shame they didn't stick together. It would have been a bigger, stronger and more important European countries. Between the two world wars it was one of the most economically developed countries in Europe.

Bobby Martnen
03-06-2018, 06:14 AM
It's a shame they didn't stick together. It would have been a bigger, stronger and more important European countries. Between the two world wars it was one of the most economically developed countries in Europe.

Communism ruins everything it touches, unfortunately.

Bosniensis
03-06-2018, 06:29 AM
Communism ruins everything it touches, unfortunately.

You would surprised... but people in Ex-Yugoslavia lived much better under Communism (I am not communist btw).

We had more of everything.

TITO was a cool guy.

Mikula
03-13-2018, 08:58 AM
I am sorry that my detailed description of the subject was lost by collapse of The Apricity, several moths ago.

It is not so easy to find easy answer for easy questions :)

Nevertheless, it is unsufficient to blame just communism for all the things what happened here.

Perhaps, you can compare the situation to marriage when the husband and wife love each other, but they cannot live together, finally.

There are countries where its societies is divided more than in the former Czechoslovakia but in the moment of crisis, they stay together.
But when appeared some crisis in Czechoslovakia, Czechs and Slovaks tended to go opposite way.

Another important point is a question of identity.

Even for the most pro-Czechoslovak Slovaks was very painfull that for avarage forigner is the term Czechoslovak too long and complicated,
therefore was used the term Czech as an abbreviation, by the foreigners.

Karol Klačansky
03-13-2018, 09:22 AM
Thee were many different reasons. slovaks had been trying for years to get more autonomy in czechoslovakia. When they had freedom to finally decide what happens with their future they chose to go alone. Czechs and Slovaks are a similar people but there are historic differences that affect the mentality of the peoples in each country. Czechs have a bigger history, tend to be more secular, and have their own distinct style of humour. Slovaks were occupied constantly by other nations, are more religious, and sometimes think czech humor is a bit too much. Slovaks were always treated as second rate under czechs so independence was finally a way to be known to the world for who they are. It turned out pretty well so I think it was a good decision.

LouisFerdinand
03-15-2018, 02:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JojFY6BHdTo

Mikula
07-24-2018, 06:52 PM
https://1gr.cz/fotky/idnes/15/093/cl6/VHA5e1903_Fun_with_Flags.jpg

Norb
07-24-2018, 06:53 PM
It was the Nazis, the Nazis done it!

Mikula
07-24-2018, 06:59 PM
It was the Nazis, the Nazis done it!

WTF?

Norb
07-24-2018, 07:00 PM
WTF?

well they get blamed for everything else so I thought I would accuse them of this aswell

TheMaestro
07-24-2018, 07:16 PM
I would say some people saw a big business separating those 2 countries. Those politicians who took over Slovakia especially Vladimir Mečiar saw an opportunity of a lifetime, but that is for a longer talk. Nevertheless Slovakians always felt like they are like 3rd wheel in that country.

Satem
04-02-2020, 12:00 PM
Good question
bump

Russki
03-15-2022, 08:21 AM
Slovaks felt underrepresented

Cristiano viejo
03-15-2022, 08:47 AM
Thee were many different reasons. slovaks had been trying for years to get more autonomy in czechoslovakia. When they had freedom to finally decide what happens with their future they chose to go alone. Czechs and Slovaks are a similar people but there are historic differences that affect the mentality of the peoples in each country. Czechs have a bigger history, tend to be more secular, and have their own distinct style of humour. Slovaks were occupied constantly by other nations, are more religious, and sometimes think czech humor is a bit too much. Slovaks were always treated as second rate under czechs so independence was finally a way to be known to the world for who they are. It turned out pretty well so I think it was a good decision.
It makes sense that Czechoslovakia broke due the sense of humour of Czechs :rolleyes:

sioned
03-15-2022, 09:15 AM
What is funny is how the Baltic Republics, Former Yugoslav Republics and Slovakia all wanted independence, self-rule, own currency but were also quick to join the diabolic beast the EU given up their independence, their freedom and their currency. Same what the Scotts want now. Out of the UK, and in the EU. There is no logic to that...

TheMaestro
03-15-2022, 10:56 AM
What is funny is how the Baltic Republics, Former Yugoslav Republics and Slovakia all wanted independence, self-rule, own currency but were also quick to join the diabolic beast the EU given up their independence, their freedom and their currency. Same what the Scotts want now. Out of the UK, and in the EU. There is no logic to that...

Don't be foolled by Scots, they are overly patriotic much more than Slovaks. Joining EU for them brings just positive things unlike the others. Their geopolitical-position gives them reason to want to join EU. Foreigners are not that common in Scotland like in England. And those who move are very openly greeted by Scots. Scotland is also sparesly populated and they have much bigger problems than those and that's with the drug abuse XD