PDA

View Full Version : High Greek/Italian % on Albanian results (MyHeritage)

Pausanias
03-11-2018, 02:14 PM
The first 3 videos when you write "MyHeritage Albanian" are:

This woman scores 66% Italian/Greek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp7SGRnqJZA

This one, 86,2% Greek , 7,6% Balkan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cu9TbCs2qs

88,4% Greek, 6% Iberian (wow), 3,5% Balkan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmRzE0Q2TBM

What do you guys think about these results?

Kelmendasi
03-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Albanian DNA falls under their "Italian/Greek" categories

Pausanias
03-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Albanian DNA falls under their "Italian/Greek" categories

Due to similarity or due to geographical proximity?

Böri
03-11-2018, 02:18 PM
MyHeritage is for American mutts who are mix of different ethnicities. That doesnt suit for Old World people as there is no details about ancestral components. No need to take serious.

Kelmendasi
03-11-2018, 02:18 PM
Autosomal similarity. These tests mainly work on similarity and not really actual ancestry which they claim

Sikeliot
03-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Albanian ancestry is very close to Greek, so this is why.

I have been thinking about this with regard to the high Greek on MyHeritage in people from parts of Sicily where Greek colonies were few. I wonder if it is either a later Greek migration (i.e. Byzantine or later), or if assimilated Arbereshe are the reason.

Teucer
03-11-2018, 02:35 PM
I find watching these MyHeritage results so addictive...

The music is great

Aspar
03-11-2018, 02:35 PM
My Heritage is bullshit, it has given me 21 percent Italian ancestry??
I mean w.t.f., if Greeks get like 10 percent at the most for Italian ancestry, how do I get 21 percent??

Freeroostah
03-11-2018, 02:41 PM
I mean w.t.f., if Greeks get like 10 percent at the most for Italian ancestry, how do I get 21 percent??

I got none :noidea:

safinator
03-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Proof my heritage isn't accurate.

The Illyrian Warrior
03-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Testing companies come up with these results because only the bigger nations are used as reference for smaller nations, Albanians fall under Italian/Greek because that's closest match we get out of all available references.

Trilecce
03-11-2018, 10:42 PM

We are neighbours for thousands of years. You have a lot of our DNA to, its just that its always referred to as greek DNA, then of course when an albanian is mentioned it turns out greek, because greek is the reference point. Greece has had significant migrations from western balkans throughout their history, from the Dorian migrations to Arberesh migrants in middle ages, untill today where you have +1'000'000 albanians. We are thuroughly blended with eachother.

Trilecce
03-11-2018, 10:43 PM

Due to very large migrations from our geographical area to your geographical area, beginning in ancient times and continuing to this very day.

Trilecce
03-11-2018, 10:47 PM

Ask one of your grandmothers.

GiCa
03-11-2018, 10:48 PM

both.. but mostly due to not having an albanian cluster sample, so they dont fall in their cluster. they dont clusrer infact with italians.

Mbreti
03-12-2018, 02:28 AM
The first video isn't myheritage, but ancestrydna. There Albanians get a mix of East Europe and Italy/Greece mostly. Her results are typical.

The other results are myheritage where Albs get a mix of Greek and Balkan and those results are actually not any more typical then where they score 50% Balkan + 50% Greek.

There shouldn't be a Greek or Italian cluster like that in the first place and they shouldn't be lumped together. Which is why its creating these type of results, in that case there should be an Albanian aswell and you'd see different and more accurate results probably.

Its just genetic similarity but creating Balkan and Greek components same time scues the results. As its mostly just a northern / southern shift.

Both of these tests are inaccurate and should be updated. As it screws peoples results such as not
showing actual greek or italian ancestry or actual East European ancestry. Other aurosomal tests do this much better.

Make an Albanian cluster aswell in that case. So far its just showing the closest genetic similarity like greek or italian and not actual ancestry. An Albanian cluster added would be even better.

Sikeliot
03-12-2018, 02:30 AM
There shouldn't be a Greek or Italian cluster like that in the first place and they shouldn't be lumped together.

Why?

JohnSmith
03-12-2018, 02:33 AM
I do not see why this should be surprising!

JohnSmith
03-12-2018, 02:33 AM
I even think the Albanian language sounds a litttle little bit like Greek,, I know I will get a lot of hell for saying that but from what I heard it does.

Dukagjini
03-12-2018, 02:54 AM
I even think the Albanian language sounds a litttle little bit like Greek,, I know I will get a lot of hell for saying that but from what I heard it does.

How so........? sounds almost nothing to Greek especially Gheg Albanian.

JohnSmith
03-12-2018, 03:03 AM
How so........? sounds almost nothing to Greek especially Gheg Albanian.

To an English speaker it does. Just the way the words sound.

Thot Whisperer
03-12-2018, 03:56 AM

So for the guy that scored Iberian is it noise or is it something that’s actually there

Aspar
03-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Ask one of your grandmothers.

What does this 'intelligent' response of yours have to do with me??
I wish I could ask my grandmothers but unfortunately I can not.
Restrain from replying unless you have something smart to say...

Drawing-slim
03-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Testing companies come up with these results because only the bigger nations are used as reference for smaller nations, Albanians fall under Italian/Greek because that's closest match we get out of all available references.

Which goes to show even dna testing companies are intellectually dishonest towards albanians, because both greeks and italians are never as purely ancient as albanians.

Thot Whisperer
03-12-2018, 08:40 AM

I’ve always thought my heritage dna was not all that accurate, for the guy that scored 6% Iberian you think it’s actually that or is it just noise

Mbreti
03-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Why?

Because Greece is a large and genetically diverse country, same as Italy. And they aren't 100% identitical to Albanians thats why also many Albanians aren't scoring pred Greek but rather a mix etc. Like East Europe or Balkan + Greek.

I have rarely ever seen Albanian score actual East Europe on myheritage.

I have gone through my whole list and theres almost not a single one I can see. Except for one person that got like 1%.

Its all just Balkan or Greek mostly.

While many Slavs actually do score East Europe. Or mix of Balkan and East Europe / NorthWest Europe.

Because an Albanian doesnt score 100% Greek doesnt mean they arent pure Albanians, its because, Albanians, atleast Ghegs aren't supposed to be 100% identical to Greeks or Italians therefore they aren't supposed to score 100% of that in the first place and which they actually don't. Many Albanian results from North I have seen score a mix actually, this whole pred. Greek thing is just a stereotype as they are not any more typical results than other results I have seen.

Many Greeks and Italians also dont score fully Greek/Italy.

There should be an Italian cluster but it shouldnt be lumped with Greece or the Balkans.

There should be a Greek cluster but in that case there should also be an Albanian cluster or Albanian areas shouldnt be divided between Greek and Balkan , it could easily be distinguished atleast to some point as we are not 100% identitical to Greeks or Italians. And I imagine Ghegs are probably the least.

Their Greek is some south component probably peaks in south / central albania / northern greece.

Dna tests like these need to updated, the Balkan on myheritage is some Northern component that is unstable even though according to their page and maps its supposed to actually be native Balkan, you see people get bug results like Nigerian as mentioned before, middle east and excessive northwest European in some.

Ancestrydna needs also a good update but its something similar but with different results...

Cukletta for example is a very Northern shifted person if we are to believe her ancestrydna results. Her Italy / Greece is only in the 60% while I have seen Albanians up to 80%.

But her results arent less typical than any other result i have seen as I have seen a wide range of results.

Albanian results are being scued by these companies. It doesnt show you actual Slavic ancestry, Greek or Italian when you lump all these things together etc but we have already other autosomal tests for that.

Also all these Greek/Italy and East Europe and Balkan have included Albanian areas which scues Albanian results probably , if they didnt include Albanian areas we probably wouldnt get those results.

Trilecce
03-12-2018, 06:59 PM
What does this 'intelligent' response of yours have to do with me??
I wish I could ask my grandmothers but unfortunately I can not.
Restrain from replying unless you have something smart to say...

If your 25 percent italian, then one of your grandparents are italian. Its very simple math.

The Illyrian Warrior
03-13-2018, 02:09 PM
I’ve always thought my heritage dna was not all that accurate, for the guy that scored 6% Iberian you think it’s actually that or is it just noise

Not really there, no Iberian, not even Greek or Italian real ancestry, just a close match with those two nations converted into % with no sense to it. Again these tests doesn't reveal real recent or distant ancestry just with who you match the most.

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
03-13-2018, 02:32 PM
23andMe is the most reliable autosomal test to portray someone's acestry, imo. It can differentiante very well between geographic regions.

Tauromachos
03-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Not really there, no Iberian, not even Greek or Italian real ancestry, just a close match with those two nations converted into % with no sense to it. Again these tests doesn't reveal real recent or distant ancestry just with who you match the most.

This applies to any kind of other ancestry in these calculators as well

For example if a Greek Mainland tribesman gets this or that % of Albanian Kosovar or Albanian Tirana its the same

If a Greek gets this or that % of Jew its also the same

The Illyrian Warrior
03-13-2018, 03:47 PM
This applies to any kind of other ancestry in these calculators as well

For example if a Greek Mainland tribesman gets this or that % of Albanian Kosovar or Albanian Tirana its the same

If a Greek gets this or that % of Jew its also the same

Sure, but we should remember that in all mainstream genetic testing companies (count out amateur calculators) more specifically the Albanian reference for some reasons are not included, Greeks are however, ftdna has more broader definition simply southeast or 23andme with 'Balkan' but none Albanian so far but I'm not complaining because it's just a detail that testing companies could fix anytime if they want to.