PDA

View Full Version : Your inlaws

The Lawspeaker
02-12-2011, 05:42 PM
How do you address them ? Here it is (at least I was raised that way) uncommon if not rude to use the first names. So it would be "sir" or "ma'am" for me.

What honorifics are used in your country and your family ?

Psychonaut
02-12-2011, 05:47 PM
I've only ever addressed mine by their first names.

Bloodeagle
02-12-2011, 06:32 PM
I call mine mom and dad.

larali
09-14-2011, 01:45 AM
When I first met them, I called them Mr. and Mrs. .... . Now I call them by their first names, as we became more familiar.

billErobreren
09-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Often by Mr. and Mrs, I'm shy so even when they ask me to call them by their first name it takes time getting used to. apparently they all liked that about me. not nosy nor disrespectful. :)

Boudica
09-14-2011, 02:39 AM
(at least I was raised that way) uncommon if not rude to use the first names. So it would be "sir" or "ma'am" for me.

I was raised this way too. I was always told to call my friends arents "sir" or "ma'am", etc because calling them by their first name would be disrespectful. I now call them by their first names because they found it funny that I called them sir & ma'am and told me to call them by their first names, lol. It's funny because my boyfriend has always called my parents by their first names, I guess different ways of being raised..

SwordoftheVistula
09-14-2011, 06:06 AM
I've only ever addressed mine by their first names.

I call mine mom and dad.

I think there might be a generational shift.

My mother would always call my dad's mother "mom" (other grandparents long since deceased by my birth, but presumably would have followed the same pattern)

My sister's husband calls my parents by their first names.

rhiannon
09-14-2011, 06:56 AM
How do you address them ? Here it is (at least I was raised that way) uncommon if not rude to use the first names. So it would be "sir" or "ma'am" for me.

What honorifics are used in your country and your family ?

First names, only.

Han Cholo
09-14-2011, 07:13 AM
People with authority or great age over you: Señor, Don. Or just their names by refered by "usted" as opposed to "tú"

Someone who doesn't have any authority over you or great age: First name, refered by "tú" as opposed to "usted".

With friends you can even call them nicknames or funny variations of their respective names.

Tolleson
09-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Nothing.....anymore! :(

Allenson
09-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Just by their first names. I am an adult afterall. ;)

I could think of a few other things to call them too, lol.