PDA

View Full Version : Help with another Sicilian music style?

Sikeliot
03-18-2018, 05:23 PM
38:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiweGwxHYF4

What could this possibly be?

Sounds like tammuriata? But not quite?

GiCa
03-19-2018, 12:33 AM
Tarantella family, typical Sicilian with Marranzanu

It s the Sicilian style of tarantella family

In Central Italy you have the Stornello
In South Italy the Tarantelles
In North Italy modified less stornello like and more over Alpine Choirs

GiCa
03-19-2018, 12:37 AM
In mafia TV series we always put the Marranzanu with tarantella sounds.. It sounds very criminal to Us
But of course it s necessarily not. It s just other Italians mind association with it

GiCa
03-19-2018, 12:46 AM
Sikeliot you should learn Sicilian dialects

You have always in Mindy Sicily and Sicilians. But u till you speak like them it s difficult to fully connect with their culture

Alessio
03-19-2018, 12:53 AM
Do you like this sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndr1blpBPp4

In mafia TV series we always put the Marranzanu with tarantella sounds.. It sounds very criminal to Us
But of course it s necessarily not. It s just other Italians mind association with it

Alessio
03-19-2018, 12:56 AM
Yes but the Sicilian language is mostly pushed to the background, except for some word here and there. Also the reason why the Gomorra series from Naples is such a succes, is because they mostly talk Neapolitan. Surely the series is not good for the face of Naples but the series is actually of very good quality and this is not very common in Italy, as most movies and series from Italy suck big time.

About the marranzano: I think that when people associate the marranzano with anything criminal, they should read a book or two, as this instrument is used all over the world in different cultures and thus not only in Sicily (especially not solely by members of a criminal organization..)

In mafia TV series we always put the Marranzanu

with tarantella sounds.. It sounds very criminal to Us

GiCa
03-19-2018, 01:06 AM
Actually Iknow.. As I said other Italians associate it with mafia because they always put it in mafia movies and TV series

As for me I never watch film about mafia, camorra and similar because I find even the TV business love for it something to vomit.

I Don t even like how they speak uneducated not because of dialect.. But because of the mafia dialect way wich is more rude than normal dialects.

Mafia movies are not cesspits but to me they ate cesspits even if they are artistic mastwrpieces

GiCa
03-19-2018, 01:08 AM
For that matter I don't watch also all the police, carabinieri etc tv genere and film of Italy. Don t know but I guess it s not my taste