PDA

View Full Version : Best Iberian beer?

Comte Arnau
02-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Which is the best Iberian beer, or the one you drink more often?

http://9ingles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/CERVEZAS.jpg

Guapo
02-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Corona hands down.

Comte Arnau
02-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Guapo, don't troll please.

Guapo
02-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Mkay.

Bloodeagle
02-13-2011, 12:02 AM
I have only had San Miguel, so that makes my opinion invalid. :)

Adalwolf
02-13-2011, 12:05 AM
They all suck. Stick with German beer! :thumb001:

The Lawspeaker
02-13-2011, 12:18 AM
@ Adalwolf
Stop trolling idiot. Everyone knows that the best beers in Europe are from the microbreweries in Norway, from the Southern Netherlands and the Czech Republic.

@Others.
Well.. I have never tried Iberian beers as they are difficult to find here but remember to take me to a cantina for a local cerveza, cervesa, cerveja or biera when I am in your part of Europe and I will return the favour.

Bloodeagle
02-13-2011, 12:19 AM

I imagine that most of the Iberian beers are of the Pilsner or Lager style, probably a bit warm there for a proper ale.
BTW, I prefer a Belgian or Dutch brew, and especially a Flemish ale.

The Lawspeaker
02-13-2011, 12:21 AM
BTW, I prefer a Belgian or Dutch brew, and especially a Flemish ale.
The overall quality of the stuff produced in the Southern Netherlands is very good. Our big brands here in the North are usually pisswater but we have a good microbrewery (http://www.dedrieringen.nl/) here in my own town.

Grumpy Cat
02-13-2011, 12:23 AM
I've never had an Iberia beer. When I think of Iberia, I think of wine, so I drink their wine. Will watch this poll closely and sample whichever one wins.

Although San Miguel rings a bell, however, I thought it was Mexican.

Psychonaut
02-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Everyone knows that the best beers in Europe are from Ireland.

Yeah, I went ahead and fixed that for ya.

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/istock_stout_line.jpg

Guapo
02-13-2011, 12:26 AM
I had a San Miguel but from the Philipines.

I thought only self-haters drank that mud called Guiness, not all Irish.

The Lawspeaker
02-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I went ahead and fixed that for ya.

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/istock_stout_line.jpg
Ugh ! No.... :eek:

They make great whiskey's and I love Irish Mist.. but beer. No they should hire the Flemish for that job.

Psychonaut
02-13-2011, 12:28 AM
Ugh ! No.... :eek:

They make great whiskey's and I love Irish Mist.. but beer. No they should hire the Flemish for that job.

Pfft! The only nation besides Ireland that is capable of making a decent stout is the US.

Adalwolf
02-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Haha... USA beer is nothing but piss water. Take Budweiser as the prime example of this.

The Lawspeaker
02-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Pfft! The only nation besides Ireland that is capable of making a decent stout is the US.
Stout isn't my cup of tea I think. When it comes to beer I am a spoiled brat and no.. the best beer I ever had outside what we have in Germanic Europe was Velkopopovickı Kozel - Černı (dark) from the Czech Republic.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2663/4187720385_aa866109c5.jpg

From the website:

The Velkopopovickı Kozel dark beer is produced from special dark malts which is the reason why its foam is dark, unlike other coloured beers. It has a caramel taste with a hoppy flavour and a dark brown colour. This beer with an alcohol volume of 3,8 % is one of the best Czech dark beers and has won seven “Dark Beer of the Year” awards.

I also loved Plzeňskı Prazdroj (better known as Pilsner Urquell) and Staropramen.

Comte Arnau
02-13-2011, 12:33 AM
I imagine that most of the Iberian beers are of the Pilsner or Lager style,

That's right, most commercial beers in Iberia are pale lagers, although there's more variety in local ones. One of the commercial ones in Catalonia, though, the Voll-Damm, is a kind of bock. Probably my favourite of the ones available here.

Well.. I have never tried Iberian beers as they are difficult to find here but remember to take me to a cantina for a local cerveza, cervesa, cerveja or biera when I am in your part of Europe and I will return the favour.

Cool. But I'm afraid that for cantinas you'll have to cross the Atlantic. :D

The Lawspeaker
02-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Cool. But I'm afraid that for cantinas you'll have to cross the Atlantic. :D
Hehe oops. my bad. I thought it was the Spanish word for "pub".

Guapo
02-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Stout isn't my cup of tea I think. When it comes to beer I am a spoiled brat and no.. the best beer I have ever drank outside Germanic Europe was Velkopopovickı Kozel - Černı (dark) from the Czech Republic.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2663/4187720385_aa866109c5.jpg

From the website:

The Velkopopovickı Kozel dark beer is produced from special dark malts which is the reason why its foam is dark, unlike other coloured beers. It has a caramel taste with a hoppy flavour and a dark brown colour. This beer with an alcohol volume of 3,8 % is one of the best Czech dark beers and has won seven “Dark Beer of the Year” awards.

I also loved Plzeňskı Prazdroj (better known as Pilsner Urquell) and Staropramen.

Most east Euro dark beers are liek that, try Okocim dark too.

Bloodeagle
02-13-2011, 12:36 AM
The best beer I have ever had in my life. :)
http://tastingtable.com/images/articles/2010_09/ichtegems-sm.jpg

The Lawspeaker
02-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Most east Euro dark beers are liek that, try Okocim dark too.Ooh I will when I heading into Central Europe again. :D
It's Polish isn't it ?

Guapo
02-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Ooh I will when I heading into Central Europe again. :D
It's Polish isn't it ?

Yep, from Mordland.

The Lawspeaker
02-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Haha... USA beer is nothing but piss water. Take Budweiser as the prime example of this.
You should have a word with Jägerzen there. He knows a thing or two about microbreweries (and there are a lot in his area). Commercial beer is usually piss water though but that goes for most brands here as well (apart from Flanders and the Czech Republic).

Commercial beers usually, by rule of thumb, have no taste whatsoever. Consequently buying them is a waste of your money, drinking them a waste of your time.

Querubín
02-13-2011, 10:25 AM
The Spanish beer is a sheet. The most seld is cruzcampo

Crossbow
02-13-2011, 02:31 PM
I voted Mahou, Estrella-Damm and Alhambra. I only drank Alhambra a few times, but I remember it as a tasty beer.
And then there is Xibeca, mainly sold in Catalunya, a kind of 'light' beer (4,6%alc) brewed by Damm.

http://www.suite101.com/content/microbrewery-brings-tasty-beer-to-girona-spain-a190739

Comte Arnau
02-13-2011, 02:52 PM
I voted Mahou, Estrella-Damm and Alhambra. I only drank Alhambra a few times, but I remember it as a tasty beer.
And then there is Xibeca, mainly sold in Catalunya, a kind of 'light' beer (4,6%alc) brewed by Damm.

http://www.suite101.com/content/microbrewery-brings-tasty-beer-to-girona-spain-a190739

Xibeca is the cheap one. But I'll always remember it as the first beer I ever drank, at 13. :rolleyes2:

Eldritch
02-13-2011, 02:54 PM

A perfectly valid opinion, given you've actually tried all of them.

antonio
02-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm a vodka man who regard beer as a really undigestive beverage, even so I like certain ones...outside Spain: average Spanish beer is shit. The good thing is that they producers have not even bother to make it better: maybe they dont master the product, but they have arranged thru the decades a sort of monopolistic domain over their respective areas of influence really remarkable, at some cases consolidated in recent decades with a curious local young consumer's brainwashing: for example, go ask a Galician young about his opinion on Estrella Galicia (on reality is mediocre at best).

To be fair, on Romanization+Catolicism of Hispania, wine relegated beer to be a second-class product. Worth of mention is that before that relegation, beer was a relevant beverage for both Celts as Iberians, in fact it's documented Celtiberians fighting Romans under its effects.

Blossom
02-14-2011, 05:19 PM
I got allergy effects on every spanish beer I drinked...I wonder why. It doesnt happen me when I go Germany and drink beers on the pubs and restaurants. It's weird.
So, my vote its none. Because of my allergical effects they do on me. Sorry guys:(.

Raikaswinşs
02-14-2011, 05:39 PM
aren´t they all rubbish?

I used to drink loads of Cruz Campo while in Sevilla as in most of the south west . Burgos is more of a San Miguel Town as most of the north central area. In the greater madrid region is all about Maouh. During my time in Barcelona I drank only Estrella Damm. In grananda Alhambra is the norm. Estrella del Sur is not so associated with Sevilla as Cruz Campo, and hence is a more "pan andalucian" lagger.

anyhow they are all crap

give me a pint of a real english or scottish ale! or if lagger, give me a Pilsen or a Polish beer