PDA

View Full Version : Gorby turns 80: "I'm ashamed for this country"

Eldritch
02-16-2011, 06:56 PM
http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/image/20110216/mikhail.afp.jpg

Soviet Union's last leader Mikhail Gorbachev on Wednesday launched a stinging attack on Russia's 'debauched' ruling elite, saying the Kremlin had banned him from creating a political party.

In an interview with Novaya Gazeta newspaper ahead of his 80th birthday on March 2, Mr Gorbachev said he wanted to set up a social democratic party but the Kremlin's chief ideologue Vladislav Surkov warned it would not be registered.

'With my friends, I have an idea to set up a party. When Mr Surkov found out, he asked: 'Why do you need this? In any case, we are not going to register your party',' Mr Gorbachev said.

Mr Surkov, Kremlin first deputy chief of staff, is credited with creating the centralised power system that has marked Russia under the rule of Vladimir Putin as well as coining the phrase 'sovereign democracy'.

'I replied: 'We will create a movement',' Mr Gorbachev said. 'And we created it. But a movement is not a party and does not take part in elections. We need to have a social democratic party that does not depend on the authorities.'

He accused the ruling class in Russia of showing indifference to its people and also lashed out at billionaire Roman Abramovich who has built up his fortune while staying well away from politics.

'They (the ruling classes) are rich and debauched. Their ideal is to be something close to Abramovich. I scorn this idea. I am ashamed of this rich debauchery. I am ashamed for us and the country.' While steering clear of any personal attack on either President Dmitry Medvedev or Prime Minister Putin, Mr Gorbachev said politics in Russia had degenerated into a scheme for the elite to hang onto power.

Link. (http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/World/Story/STIStory_635619.html)

Ivanushka-supertzar
02-16-2011, 08:48 PM
rich debauchery

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5HFRrsplw34/TTotY6FZQ6I/AAAAAAAAAPQ/szN2pBsUpf8/s1600/drooling_homer.gif

The old man is right, were all doomed, the only hope is 2012.

Motörhead Remember Me
03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Good old Gorby. The only Soviet/Russian leader with credibility. He's right. A rotten mafia state where the biggest criminals are it's politicians.

SwordoftheVistula
03-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Mr Gorbachev said he wanted to set up a social democratic party but the Kremlin's chief ideologue Vladislav Surkov warned it would not be registered.

These countries don't allow neo-nazi parties, so I don't see why they would allow neo-communist parties, seeing as how the communists killed way more than the nazis.

poiuytrewq0987
03-04-2011, 09:04 AM
It's true that Russia is not very free politically (whereas in other areas it's very free) and could do with some political reforms that would make the politics more transparent, democratic and reduce United Russia party's stranglehold on politics but it's not going to happen.

Eldritch
03-04-2011, 09:09 AM
These countries don't allow neo-nazi parties, so I don't see why they would allow neo-communist parties, seeing as how the communists killed way more than the nazis.

:scratch:

The Lawspeaker
03-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Good old Gorby. The only Soviet/Russian leader with credibility. He's right. A rotten mafia state where the biggest criminals are it's politicians.
Hmm.. a bit like here, or in Finland or the United States. Ours (as well as probably the Finns) are less violent and more subtle though. It's still a kleptocracy.

Magister Eckhart
03-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Considering that he's hated for destroying the country, I don't know who would join his party anyway. Let's be honest, Gorbachev is only beloved by Western liberals; Russians saw through him when he was dismantling their empire from within (which is why in Russia's first free elections he lost).

I didn't even know he was still breathing and above ground myself.

Joe McCarthy
03-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Erm, Gorby is not exactly a popular figure in Russia anyway, and when he got to the part about elites scheming to hold onto power, I just busted out laughing.

poiuytrewq0987
03-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Erm, Gorby is not exactly a popular figure in Russia anyway, and when he got to the part about elites scheming to hold onto power, I just busted out laughing.

Umm, it is true that United Russia, Putin's party is holding onto power you dimwit. Putin is currently holding the office of presidency, a formal post because he cannot run for more than two consecutive terms of premiership as per Russian law however he can again run for premiership after someone has held the premiership for at least one term and guess who that post is being held by? That's right, by Medvedev, Putin's sock puppet. Putin's going to run again for the premiership after Medvedev's term is up.

Joe McCarthy
03-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Maybe if you read my post again it won't go over your head this time. And you have the presidency and the premiership mixed up.

Sahson
03-04-2011, 11:47 AM
http://www.centrostudilarcoelaclava.it/sito/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/ben-putin-medvedev.jpg

poiuytrewq0987
03-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Maybe if you read my post again it won't go over your head this time. And you have the presidency and the premiership mixed up.

First of all, it didn't go over my head. Second of all, I did get it mixed up, oh well but yeah, you get the idea.

Magister Eckhart
03-04-2011, 12:40 PM
I never understood all the hostility towards Putin. As far as I'm concerned he's the only leader in Europe worthy of the title, even if he is a little more friendly with Iran than I'd like.