PDA

View Full Version : BBC Radio host sacked after call to taxi firm requesting 'non-Asian' driver

Vulpix
11-11-2008, 08:02 PM
The Daily Mail (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=32): A BBC Radio presenter has been sacked following a 'racist' call to a taxi firm, in which she requested a 'non-Asian' driver.

Sam Mason told the operator that 'a guy with a turban would freak her daughter out' insisting they send an English driver instead.

The ex-glamour girl, 40, called the firm to order a taxi for her 14-year-old daughter off-air, while presenting her BBC Bristol radio show.

After the operator branded her request 'racist', Mason insisted, claiming it wasn't the first time she had made the request.

She said: 'A guy with a turban is going to freak her out. She's not used to Asians.'

When the operator said it would not be possible to carry out her wishes, she said: 'You've managed it before.'

Mason, who has previously battled alcohol addiction, claimed she wasn't racist but insisted she was looking out for her daughter's interest.

Mason said: 'If it were me I wouldn't care if it had two heads, but it's my little girl we are talking about.'
After the operator refused to book a car, Mason complained before hanging up.

The operator said: 'We would class that as being racist. We can't just penalise the Asian drivers and just send an English one.'

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/bristol/somerset/7721813.stm): A BBC radio presenter has been replaced over allegedly racist comments made during an off-air phone conversation.

Sam Mason, who took over the BBC Radio Bristol weekday afternoon programme six weeks ago, was suspended on Friday.

She was informed by station bosses on Saturday that she would no longer be working for the BBC.

According to The Sun newspaper, Miss Mason allegedly told a Bristol taxi firm "not to send an Asian driver to pick up her daughter".

The paper said Miss Mason, 40, told a cab operator: "A guy with a turban on is going to freak her out."

Worker 'outraged'

When her request was refused, she is alleged to have said: "You've managed it before."
The taxi worker was said to be outraged and recorded the conversation.
Miss Mason is reported to have called the taxi firm off-air as she played a song on her afternoon show.

A transcript of the conversation, published in The Sun, records how she ordered a taxi to take her 14-year-old from her Clifton house to her grandparents' home.

A BBC spokesman said: "Although Sam Mason's remarks were not made on-air, her comments were completely unacceptable and, for that reason, she has been informed that she will no longer be working for the BBC with immediate effect."

Sam Mason was not available for comment.

Steelhammer
11-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Oh dear, we have a long way to go.

What misfortune, to live in 21st century Britain - it is the worst of all European countries, when it comes to race-replacement.

Note how BBC employees force 'diversity' on us, and yet they do not live amongst the non-whites themselves. I wish I wasn't so damned used to being around asians.

The Dragonslayer
11-12-2008, 12:47 AM
My heart and prayers go out to you guys in England.

Beorn
11-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Until you have witnessed the state of Asian taxi drivers in Bristol; and the extortionate amounts they charge, you will never truly understand why this woman said what she said.

I remember one evening, me and my mates got into a cab and asked how much it cost to get home. The Asian said £15 and I literally called him a "f**cking silly Paki", got out and slammed the door.
My mates were a bit shell shocked and were pleading for me to get back in. I of course told them to get out and we all waited an extra 40 mins for the bus which cost £2.50.

I make a habit of now going past each cab till I come across a white driver. :thumbs up

The Dragonslayer
11-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Until you have witnessed the state of Asian taxi drivers in Bristol; and the extortionate amounts they charge, you will never truly understand why this woman said what she said.

I remember one evening, me and my mates got into a cab and asked how much it cost to get home. The Asian said £15 and I literally called him a "f**cking silly Paki", got out and slammed the door.
My mates were a bit shell shocked and were pleading for me to get back in. I of course told them to get out and we all waited an extra 40 mins for the bus which cost £2.50.

I make a habit of now going past each cab till I come across a white driver. :thumbs up

Cab drivers get to make up their own fees? That does sound like an awful lot of money. I don't blame you. People are always trying to cheat us out of our money. I applaud you for sticking to your guns.

Celtic Knight
12-15-2008, 05:03 AM
How the heck is that racist? The USA and the UK have the same problem...too diverse.
My thoughts are with you Fellow English.