PDA

View Full Version : R1b1b2a1a2f2 and Niall of the Connachta...

Osweo
02-18-2011, 02:29 AM
What do we think, am I REALLY a definite descendant of Niall Naoigheallach, just cos of this little Y chromosome thingy?! (Say "Yes"! :clap: )

From The Sunday Times
January 15, 2006
High King Niall: the most fertile man in Ireland

GENETICISTS have identified Ireland’s most successful alpha male. As many as one in 12 Irish men could be descended from Niall of the Nine Hostages, a 5th-century warlord, according to research conducted at Trinity College Dublin.
Niall, who was head of the most powerful dynasty in medieval Ireland, may have left a genetic legacy almost as impressive as Genghis Khan, the Mongol emperor who has 16m descendants after conquering most of Asia in the 13th century.

Researchers at the Smurfit Institute of Genetics at Trinity estimate there could be as many as 3m men worldwide descended from Niall. The highest concentration of his progeny is in northwest Ireland, where one in five males have inherited his Y chromosome.

The High King at Tara from 379 to 405, Niall founded the dynasty Ui Neill, which means descendants of Niall, who ruled Ireland until the 11th century. He reputedly made raids on the coasts of Britain and France, including one that netted St Patrick, then a slave called Succat, who was brought to Ireland.

.............. rest here; http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article788652.ece

Laoise Moore, a PhD student working on the Wellcome Trust-funded project, took DNA samples by mouth swab from male volunteers and recorded the birthplace of their paternal grandfather.

Dan Bradley, who supervised the PhD, analysed the genetic fingerprints of the samples and found the same Y chromosome in 8% of the general population, with a cluster in the northwest where 21% carried it.

Interestingly, the far North West of Ireland is noted for its absence of vassal tribes. The Ui Neill ruled the place AND populated it. Other peoples were shunted aside (perhaps mostly into Oriel), and so here we have genetic confirmation of that!?!

Here's the bit I have to trust them on;

They calculated that the most recent common ancestor was likely to have lived about 1,700 years ago. Coupled with the geographical distribution centred on the northwest, this pointed to the Ui Neill dynasty.
Is it REALLY possible to date it so accurately? How do they do it!? Is it reliable???

I WANT this list;

The researchers then checked genealogical records, which recorded the relationships between different Irish families over centuries. Katharine Simms, head of Trinity’s history department, provided the geneticists with a list of modern surnames linked by genealogical tradition to the Ui Neill dynasty.

“We found that the frequency of this variant, this Y chromosome, was much higher in this group,” said Bradley. “That was the clincher — the Ui Neill, this group that held sway and power in Ireland, seemed at some stage to have had a single patrilineal ancestor.

“It’s another example of a linkage between prolificacy and power. It confirms these medieval genealogies.”

Among those who carry the distinctive pattern of Y chromosomes in their genes, indicating probable descent from the warlord, is Bradley himself. “I’m from the northwest, so it is not that unusual,” he said. “One in five of the people I would meet on the street at home would also be descended.”

What a life....;

Powerful men in medieval Ireland had many wives and children. Divorce and concubinage were allowed and illegitimate sons were claimed and had rights under law.

“Under Brehon law a man had a first wife, a live-in concubine, a live-out concubine and someone he just casually met and so on,” said Simms. “In each of these cases a child could take the father’s name.”

Modern surnames tracing their ancestry to Niall include Gallagher, Boyle, O’Donnell, O’Doherty and O’Kane. Even in the 15th century, Niall’s descendants were producing offspring in abundance. Lord Turlough O’Donnell, who died in 1423, had 18 sons with 10 different women and had 59 grandsons in the male line.:thumbs up

23nMe's take on it is this;

Haplogroup R1b1b2a1a2f2
R1b1b2a1a2f2 reaches its peak in Ireland, where the vast majority of men carry Y-chromosomes belonging to the haplogroup. Researchers have recently discovered that a large subset of men assigned to the haplogroup may be direct male descendants of an Irish king who ruled during the 4th and early 5th centuries. According to Irish history, a king named Niall of the Nine Hostages established the Ui Neill dynasty that ruled the island country for the next millennium.

Northwestern Ireland is said to have been the core of Niall's kingdom; and that is exactly where men bearing the genetic signature associated with him are most common. About 17% of men in northwestern Ireland have Y-chromosomes that are exact matches to the signature, and another few percent vary from it only slightly. In New York City, a magnet for Irish immigrants during the 19th and early 20th century, 2% of men have Y-chromosomes matching the Ui Neill signature. Genetic analysis suggests that all these men share a common ancestor who lived about 1,700 years ago. Among men living in northwestern Ireland today that date is closer to 1,000 years ago. Those dates neatly bracket the era when Niall is supposed to have reigned.

Outside Ireland, R1b1b2a1a2f2 is relatively common only along the west coast of Britain.

Feel free to add anything else you've found on this haplogroup. :D

Grumpy Cat
02-18-2011, 02:31 AM
I have the surname MacNeill (supposedly also descendants) in my family tree, we might be distantly related.

Guapo
02-18-2011, 02:55 AM
I have the surname MacNeill (supposedly also descendants) in my family tree, we might be distantly related.

I think most of teh east coast are MacNeills(Scots)

Aemma
02-18-2011, 02:57 AM
This bit caught my eye:

Under Brehon law a man had a first wife, a live-in concubine, a live-out concubine and someone he just casually met and so on

LOL I can just picture Ossi crossing his fingers on this one and hoping to reclaim some past ancestral glory. :P :D

But on a more serious note, the name Niall looks an awful lot like Njall. Any chance that this Irishman was indeed a Viking? Or is the timeline too early for this?

Osweo
02-18-2011, 03:34 AM
LOL I can just picture Ossi crossing his fingers on this one and hoping to reclaim some past ancestral glory. :P :D
:whistle:

But on a more serious note, the name Niall looks an awful lot like Njall. Any chance that this Irishman was indeed a Viking? Or is the timeline too early for this?
Njal in Iceland IS Niall, yes. Interestingly, so is Nigel in Normandy. AND Nell, as in the famous surname Nelson of Norfolk.

The Norse in Ireland got very Hibernicised, and some later left for other Norse regions, taking a little Irishness with them. North-Western England and SW Scotland have several Irish place-names because of this. :)

Mac Neill may have a similar origin, even, given that my clan map shows them as the bosses of that little island off Argyle, obviously descendants of the Hiberno-Norse who'd been running the show round there. What's its name, the island? .... Ah! GIGHA (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=162975&y=649322&z=120&sv=gigha&st=3&tl=Map+of+Gigha+Island,+Sea+[Land+Feature]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf). :thumb001:

Aemma
02-18-2011, 03:41 AM
Nigel is a Norman name? Huh! Who knew? You know that we're only making plans for Nigel eh?

Curtis24
02-18-2011, 04:12 AM
How accurate do you think the study is, and why would the haplogroup be common along the west coast of Britain?

Osweo
02-18-2011, 04:38 AM
How accurate do you think the study is,
Dunno, but seems plausible and well received...

and why would the haplogroup be common along the west coast of Britain?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fVK12vVWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Many Irish joined in, and had been doing similar raiding trips and settlements a few centuries earlier all by themselves. :thumb001:

Curtis24
02-18-2011, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the info. This makes me really want to get a 23 and me test :p

Graham
02-18-2011, 06:42 PM
:whistle:

Njal in Iceland IS Niall, yes. Interestingly, so is Nigel in Normandy. AND Nell, as in the famous surname Nelson of Norfolk.

The Norse in Ireland got very Hibernicised, and some later left for other Norse regions, taking a little Irishness with them. North-Western England and SW Scotland have several Irish place-names because of this. :)

Mac Neill may have a similar origin, even, given that my clan map shows them as the bosses of that little island off Argyle, obviously descendants of the Hiberno-Norse who'd been running the show round there. What's its name, the island? .... Ah! GIGHA (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=162975&y=649322&z=120&sv=gigha&st=3&tl=Map+of+Gigha+Island,+Sea+[Land+Feature]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf). :thumb001:

When I think of MacNeil, I think of clan MacNeil of Barra. They share the same ancestry as O'Neil

Wyn
02-18-2011, 06:49 PM

This Niall precedes the Vikings by a few hundred years.

Anyway, fascinating stuff of course. I believe something like 1 in 50 residents of New York City are descended from him, too.

Edit - Woops, it's in the OP. :D

Osweo
02-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Aye, looking at Wyn's post makes me think I wasn't clear enough. Niall lived around 400 AD, and the Norse reached Ireland right at the end of the Eighth Century. Njal is an adoption into Norse of a Gaelic original. See Kormak Ogmundarson for another example of that sort of adoption. Runic inscriptions show other names like Melbrikt - Mael Brighte - 'Devotee of Brigid'.

When I think of MacNeil, I think of clan MacNeil of Barra. They share the same ancestry as O'Neil

My bloody jpeg clan map is cropped to miss out Barra and most of Uist. :D

Does Acadian know if her ancestors were booted off that island, I wonder?

Osweo
03-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Let's put some meat on these genetic bones. Music for and of the Ui Neill;

jtOjce6AVf4

vcvsC3kuDfE

Curtis24
03-08-2011, 01:36 AM
So the Irish are all descended from one violent, ruthless and oversexed warlord? This explains everything...

Osweo
03-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Cousins...
http://www.sawf.org/newsphotos/Niall_Nine_Hostages_200601181004151900_afp.jpg
Why's my name never on these things!? :tsk:

Son of the noble Eochaidh of honour
Was Niall, modest in each high distinction;
He held the sovereignty of successions
In Erin and in Alba.
He got a hostage from each province
In Erin through high valour;
He brought under his sway, without blemish,
Four hostages from Alba.
Hence he was called
In the mansions of the great,
Through the gold of the prosperous kings,
Niall of the nine hostages, the heroic.

Annoying thing is, I can't trace my paternal line before 1851 or beyond Lancashire. :( There are hints that I'm from that little island of Niall's stock in Kildare, mid eastern Ireland, but I don't know;
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/01/17/science/ireland470.645.jpg

More cousins;

Modern surnames tracing their ancestry to Niall include (O')Gallagher, (O')Boyle, (O')Doherty, O'Donnell, Connor, Cannon, Bradley, O'Reilly, Flynn, (Mc)Kee, Campbell, Devlin, Donnelly, Egan, Gormley, Hynes, McCaul, McGovern, McLoughlin, McManus, McMenamin, Molloy, O'Kane, O'Rourke and Quinn.

Osweo
03-08-2011, 02:36 AM
Ekh, Joseph Smith was one of us! :eek:

Could it be that Joseph Smith's paternal lineage was truly Irish in origin? That's a possibility. Maybe it's not English. Maybe it's Irish. How can I confirm that? There is another test you can do on the Y chromosome, which is called a SNP test (single nucleotide polymorphism - pronounced "snip"). You look at specific single changes in the DNA that are very stable over the years. They are not susceptible to recurring mutations. They are like genetic milestones. We found that the Smith DNA tested positive for a SNP called M222. Here we are going back to the schematic Y chromosome haplogroup tree we saw earlier and focusing on the branch called R1b. You can subdivide the R1b branch into smaller branches, and some of them are also very specific geographically. These are all the sub-branches of R1b. What are we doing here? We are increasing the level of Y chromosome resolution. If something is not clear on the surface, you can zoom in with the SNP testing. And where is this M222 marker found? Luckily someone has studied it already and there is a distribution map available that shows where the highest frequency of individuals carrying the M222 variant live today. The darker red area on the distribution map is where this marker is found at its highest frequency. It is found in northwest Ireland and in smaller frequencies in lowland Scotland, which makes a lot of sense since most of the matches found in the SMGF database using the haplotype had genealogies ending in Ireland and some in Scotland. We have two pieces of evidence now: the haplotype matches and the SNP data that confirmed the sub-branch within R1b (called R1b1b2a2e)12 with the highest frequency in northwest Ireland.

Additionally, I remembered a paper that was published a couple of years ago that dealt with a particular genetic signature found prevalently in this part of the British Isles. Some of you might have heard of Niall of the Nine Hostages. He was a warlord of the fifth century; a legendary figure from which about five centuries of Irish rulers descended. The researchers involved in that study believed that the high frequency of this particular genetic signature in this region of Ireland is the legacy left by the royal Irish family and their large posterity.13 Of course, this makes a lot of sense: if you have money and power, you can also have lots of children, one way or the other! (A similar study was done on Genghis Kahn). I compared the reconstructed profile for Niall of the Nine Hostages with the one I have for Joseph Smith and discovered that they were very similar, considering the time frame. There are only three mutations and they are only one-step mutations. Usually when a mutation takes place along a radiating Y chromosome lineage, it increases or decreases by a factor of one. Then after few more generations it can change again by the same factor and you'll have a two-step mutation. The researchers included in their paper a list of common Irish surnames that have been associated with this particular royal family and genetic signature. As you can see, many of these are similar to those that showed up when querying the SMGF database (O'Neil, O'Rourke, etc.). We are talking about a very rare haplotype, which is found at a 20% frequency in the Donegal region of Northern Ireland. Earlier we saw that the haplogroup marker M222 was also found in the same geographic area. We have two genetic "witnesses" and Joseph Smith has both of them. Based on the data presented, I would like to propose the idea that perhaps Robert Smith, this 12 year old indentured servant, could have been of Irish descent. Perhaps just a couple of generations earlier his family lived in Ireland.

Graham
03-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Got a newish map of M222

http://wwwimg.bbc.co.uk/programmes/i/512xn/aac0bcd80088e0a2ec00975de4ad04ada29ccc14.gif
The frequencies of the M222 Y chromosome group are shown across the British Isles using pie charts. Up to 3000 samples were used to create this map.

Osweo
03-17-2011, 12:00 AM
Got a newish map of M222

Ooooooooh! Any idea of the origins of it?

Gaels in Scotland is natural enough, but that slight peak in ... Teesside is it? County Durham, North Riding of Yorkshire? That's curious. Was the sampling careful to avoid 19th Century Irish immmigration? Or is this the genetic trace of the 8th and 9th Century movements that saw Irishmen accompany Norse from Dublin into the Kingdom of Jorvik!? Placenames like Airyholme (< ergum < Irish Airigh 'dairy pasture') are found there after all.... :chin:

Graham
03-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Oh sorry, I got the map from here. Dr James wilson, It was his company that discovered your Y DNA M222. Ethnoancestry (http://www.ethnoancestry.com/index.htm), they're based in my county,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00z611k

Logan
09-05-2011, 12:31 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/54037/leprechaun_dancing_jig_lg_nwm_19091_medium_medium. gif
:wink

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1b1c7/default.aspx

Graham
03-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Thought I would add this too the thread. It's hard to keep up with DNA, but were getting a much clearer picture now than ever!

http://www.buildinghistory.org/distantpast/irishsurnames.shtml
Early attempts at linking haplogroup and Irish surname were over-hasty in their conclusions. The Y-DNA haplogroup R1b-M222 was initially thought to mark the descendants of Niall of the Nine Hostages. It is carried by nearly 20% of the men in Donegal today. In early historic times this was the territory of the northern Uí Néill, presumed descendants of the fabled 5th-century warlord. R1b-M222 is particularly common among those with some purported Uí Néill surnames such as Gallagher, Boyle, Doherty and O’Donnell, though not most of the O'Neills themselves. It also appears among the Connachta, supposed descendants of the brothers of Niall.

However wider testing has revealed that Donegal is not the hotspot for R1b-M222. The highest concentrations have been found in Belfast, in North-Eastern Ireland (44%), and Mayo in Western Ireland (43%). The figure for the latter may be unreliable, as there were only 16 men sampled from Mayo, but these new figures do suggest that the distribution map drawn from early testing needs to be revised. Outside Ireland there are roughly 10% of men carrying M222 in Northern England (Yorkshire), Western Scotland (Skye) and North-Eastern Scotland (Moray).

Though migration from Ireland could account for some of the British M222, the pattern is unexpected for radiation from Ireland. So M222 is more likely to be a La Tène marker, spread from Northern Britain into Northern Ireland around 200 BC. If so it would be present among the people of north-western Ireland centuries before the Uí Néill came on the scene - if they actually did. Brian Lacey has sifted the political propaganda from the history. He shows that the Cenél Conaill (Cannon, Boyle, Doherty, Gallagher, McMenamin, O’Donnell) and Cenél nEógain (Devlin, Donnelly, Gormley, McLoughlin, O’Kane, Quinn) peoples claiming to be Northern Uí Néill were probably locals who had adopted that designation to link themselves with the incoming elite.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21665&stc=1&d=1330805704
---------------------
I've read up about DF23+ subclade also, all M222+ men should be DF23+. But only those that are only DF23+( older origin than m222) could be located from Wales, SW England and France. Hard to keep up lol, if this is correct. :)

Grace O'Malley
06-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Cousins...
http://www.sawf.org/newsphotos/Niall_Nine_Hostages_200601181004151900_afp.jpg
Why's my name never on these things!? :tsk:

Annoying thing is, I can't trace my paternal line before 1851 or beyond Lancashire. :( There are hints that I'm from that little island of Niall's stock in Kildare, mid eastern Ireland, but I don't know;
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/01/17/science/ireland470.645.jpg

More cousins;

I'm a descendant of Niall and of the M222 haplotype. My father is from the second hotspot on the map. I always suspected that we might be M222. I narrowed down haplotypes to possibly Ely O'Carroll, The Three Collas or Niall. Very pleased to be a confirmed M222 from Niall or the kindred Conachta. It just confirms that my father's family has been in the same region for a very long time.

TCDA1986
06-26-2014, 12:46 PM
If you have his Haplotype then yes, you're related by definition.

Grace O'Malley
06-26-2014, 01:15 PM
It is a strange feeling for me to be confirmed from this haplotype as I've read so much about it. My father's surname was not one of the common surnames connected with this haplotype but where he was from is a hotspot. Anyway I'm kind of elated because it gives a deep connection to a small area of the world. I've read a bit about Niall and it is a bit surreal to know that there is some kind of connection. I wish my father was still alive because he would be fascinated by this. He always said we were descended from Princes so I always connected that to the Princes of Oriel because his surname is associated with that branch more. I just feel really close to my father knowing more about his ancestry.

Grace O'Malley
06-26-2014, 01:39 PM
This is a relatively young haplotype and should not be that difficult to trace. It is downstream of L21. It is highly likely that it didn't originate in Ireland but came originally from Britain and before that Northern France. I would be interested to hear if anyone has more information about the Niall haplotype. I will most probably join a surname project to find out more connections.

Catkin
02-20-2015, 11:31 PM
I've just discovered a couple of missing surnames in my family tree. One is Doherty, which I see is possibly linked to this Y-DNA. This haplotype is one of the most common amongst my DNA relatives too. Interesting it's pretty common around Donegal. My ancestor was actually born in Kilmarnock, but I don't yet know where her parents were born.