PDA

View Full Version : R-M198, the Sarmatian haplogroup?

jötunn
04-10-2018, 10:49 PM
It is said to have originated from Central Asia. On Family Tree DNA, I have a few range 0 matches on Y-12, two range 1 matches on Y-25 and no more on higher levels.

The "Haplogroup Prediction tool" says there is about 50% chance of an undiscovered/unknown subgroup, therefore I guess I will not be wasting money on big Y for now.

There is some interesting thing in genealogy - legends say my lineage originates from House of Estridsen, and even shares its family crest, though it is possible that it was not direct paternal line (for example the incident with House of Bjelbo)

What is interesting is that it is clearly a Polish surname created in Sarmatian tradition (-cki), though the Sarmatian naming tradition was quite common among Polish noblesse, regardless of Sarmatian or not Sarmatian origins.

Kelmendasi
04-10-2018, 10:50 PM
You probably just belong to R1a-Z284 which is the Norse clade of R1a and found almost exclusively found in Scandinavia and the British Isles

jötunn
04-10-2018, 11:08 PM
Found exclusively in Iceland, on one immigrant to be specific

In short - found commonly in Elves, Trolls, Dwarves and Giants.

And more seriously, about this:
https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?240620-Now-this-looks-strange&p=5067644#post5067644

Maybe it is Greenlandic or something? I am sure they don't have many native Inuit samples...

Art23
04-14-2018, 08:21 PM
Hæ!

Inuits have 0% R1a. It could be that you are related to Inuits through other lineages, but definitely not through the direct paternal.

Regarding Central Asian origins, R1a originating from there belonged to the europeoid race, not to the mongoloid race like some inhabitants nowadays.

Norb
07-28-2018, 09:47 AM
I think jötunn is a Pole pretending to be Icelandic :thumb001: